Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

OFFICAL PEDE THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:02 AM
TORNADO BB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICAL PEDE THREAD

I have a 6400mah 11.1v 3s lipo battery and it fits in my stampede VXL, it came with a traxxas connector on it. I ran the stock gearing and my motor started to smoke. I let it cool and put a nimh 7 cell 3000mah battery and it went faster than the lipo and it didn't smoke. When I put a 26 tooth pinion on it started to smoke and went pretty slow. I bought the lipo for longer run times and faster speeds than the nimh and the nimh performed better. What should I do to make the lipo perform how it is supposed to?
Thanks,
Jaret

PS: i have a VXL model
Old 01-10-2010, 12:16 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

What charger are you using for the lipo?
It is possible that either the lipo is not charging up all the way, or there is a possibility that you have damaged the brushless motor.
Another idea would be to try gearing it down some.
The bottom line is, if you had smoke coming from the motor, there is definitely some damage already done.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:00 AM
TORNADO BB

I use the thunder ac6 to charge my lipo. What should I gear it at if I should gear it lower? I don't think there is damage because when I emailed traxxas my problem they said my motor was fine.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Wheelnut

Sure Traxxas is going to say that, they don't want to replace the motor.
WHen gearing down, just drop one or two teeth at a time. Found out how many teeth you have on your pinion and go buy one with less teeth, or check your spur and maybe go up one tooth.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:11 PM
TORNADO BB

Today i ran it and it was going about 55+ mph and it wasn't smoking, but then I hit the curb and shattered the caster block. What are some ways to lower the engine temp.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:54 PM
daze823

Gotta say, I love playing with the Stampede VXL, like I said, it's my first r/c car in 18 years, but Ican't imagine that there are many better beginner vehicles out there, and this thing is fast... I beat the heck out of it and it just keeps on ticking, there is something about watching the truck flip back over front 5 or 6 times, land on it's wheels and keep on going...

Anyway, wanted to thank you all for the suggestions, I ordered some big bore shocks(think that is what they were called), so I think I may take the stock shocks, and modify them with a piece of fuel line and use those for playing out on the street in front of the house... Also, Iwill move the tie rods in on the steering servo, just haven' t gotten to it yet, but both very good suggestions... even though, with experience, i am flipping the truck a whole lot less, I have been getting much better with the turns...

I have the stock pinion gear in the truck (VXL), and Iwas wondering if Icould run a Lipo without changing the gear.. from what I can tell, the optional gear they give you with the truck is really only for street driving, and I don't want to limit myself to on street driving.... but Iwould like the additional run time and maybe a little more speed out of a lipo...
Old 01-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Wheelnut

Anyone know why Tower discontinued the Velineon brushless system?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:56 PM
TORNADO BB

I think they discountined it because traxxas released the waterproof version.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:04 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Hey guys.

I just bought a 17 turn(double?) reedy radon 30k rpm motor for my stampede. I geared it 12/87 because the LHS didnt have a 13 or 14t pinion. It is great out of the hole. Has plenty of pep, and run times seem good and the motor seems to stay cool. However, top speed probably is old around 20mph if i had to guess.

I wouldnt mind bumping it up some IF it wont hurt my low end performance or heat the motor up too much. What are you guys with 16/17/19t brushed motors running for gearing? I was thinking 14/87 or 14/84 might be a real good setup that would get me 4 or 5 more mph on the top side. I have a 16t pinion. I may try 16/87 just to see how it does, but id rather be slightly undergeared than overgeared. Any suggestions? Thanks

Eric
Old 01-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

16/87 will be fine, even for offroad. I think that is stock gearing with the Titan 12T. It might be 16/90 though.

Just to be safe, check the motor temp after a couple of runs and every so often until you're 100% sure.

Even if it gets hot, you'll catch it before any damage is done.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Wheelnut

I am looking to upgrade to some hotter motors than the stock 12T. Could someone remind me what is the lowest Turn motor the Stock XL5 esc can handle?
Thanks
Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Z

16/87 will be fine, even for offroad. I think that is stock gearing with the Titan 12T. It might be 16/90 though.

Just to be safe, check the motor temp after a couple of runs and every so often until you're 100% sure.

Even if it gets hot, you'll catch it before any damage is done.
Stock XL-5 gearing is 19/86. Too high which is why most titans bite the dust. I like a lot of torque. Im gonna try the 16t though, and i may drop down to 14t if i think it will be a happy medium. I ran my old setup 13/87 which was just a little quicker than it is now. I have an 84t spur which would bring me back to about the same as 13/87, but i think that still may be a touch low. I still havent really gotten to run this thing on dry ground though, so ill have to do some more running when it gets nicer out.

Also, my charger and batteries came today, but no one was here so they didnt drop it off Looks like ill be going to the post office tomorrow morning to pick it up. At least I will have it tomorrow though

Eric

Eric
Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Jeremy Z

I think the original Stampedes were 19/86. They had problems with burning out Titans, and I think they went to a 90T spur after that. I believe mine's a 90T spur, but I'm too lazy to get up, hobble over there and take it apart at the moment.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:45 PM
cummins driver

Tower states the XL-5 pede has 19/86 gearing. Im almost positive my pede with the stinger stock was 18/87 when i built it as a kit back in the day.

I tried 16/87 tonight. It wasnt too bad, but its a little high. Seems just as a general rule of thumb that the pinion needs to be at least 2 teeth less than the motor turn rating on a pede or rustler. I have always been one to gear my electrics fairly low anyways, and i dont like it when they take off real linear. I like for some wheelie/tire spinning action. Anyways, put it back to 12/86 for now, but i may jump to a 14 tooth pinion later on. Just depends on how my top speed is compared to the blitz. Supposedly the blitz goes about 30mph stock, so we'll see.

Eric
Old 01-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

I am looking to upgrade to some hotter motors than the stock 12T. Could someone remind me what is the lowest Turn motor the Stock XL5 esc can handle?
Thanks
anyone?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:02 AM
Jeremy Z

Thanks
anyone?
http://www.traxxas.com/products/acce...ories_escs.htm
Old 01-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Wheelnut

Nice link, thanks very much. I have book marked it.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:17 PM
daze823

Ok, have a question on changing a rear axle on the stampede...  There is a connector (acts like a U joint) which is a ball with 4 spikes that have to be connected to the axle and the plastic piece that has the shaft that the wheel bolts onto...

So my questions is, how are you supposed to install that metal piece with the spikes?  I managed to get it in with two pliers and a screwdriver, but I just felt like I was really stretching pieces farther than I should have been, so was wondering if there is a easier way to do it.

Donnie
Old 01-13-2010, 03:00 PM
cummins driver

There is a tool traxxas makes to put them in with, but all it is is a special pry bar to open up the yoke to let the u-joint fit into it. A screwdriver probably works about as well. That is really the only way to do it. You have to pry it to get it in there.

Eric
Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Wheelnut

Any idea what they call that tool? or do you have a link to it? I would liket t see it.
I remember when I replaced the drive shafts on my E-Maxx, it was a real pain to put those things together. They could have done that at the factory.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:08 PM
monsterbrad

any of you guys running the newer version in the snow?
looking to see how well they do
Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Jeremy Z

ORIGINAL: monsterbrad

any of you guys running the newer version in the snow?
looking to see how well they do
Well, in general, 2WD sucks in the snow. The rear end always wants to come around. If you have good throttle control and the snow isn't too deep, it does OK.

As for water and that stuff, it is fine.

Spray the fasteners with WD-40 every few runs to keep the iron worm off. (it is much worse from salt spray in the street)
Old 01-13-2010, 10:08 PM
cummins driver

Any idea what they call that tool? or do you have a link to it? I would liket t see it.
I remember when I replaced the drive shafts on my E-Maxx, it was a real pain to put those things together. They could have done that at the factory.
Its the wide shiney thing on the left with the slot in the end. Really its just a glorified pry bar. It doesent make the job easy by any means, but maybe easier than using pliars:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBJ1&P=7

Eric
Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Slashdrivr

My son's been running his XL-5 in the snow since christmas, some real tires with a smaller pinion we dropped to a 16T really made snow going not much of a problem. Ijust make sure he drys it off as best as he can, and other than a few screw heads showing some rust, truck hasn't missed a beat...
Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Wheelnut

Thanks, I think I have one of those.

I just remembered that I got so frustrated after trying it myself for about 30 min, that I took it to my LHS and got the owner to help me. He was holding on to one part while I was holding on to the other and it was so hard we could barely get it together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.