Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HPI Geolander or PL Dirt Hawgs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 10:02 PM
shizzolator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Geolander or PL Dirt Hawgs?

Just about ready to pick up some new 'bashing' skins for my son's Evader. Has anyone used HPI's Yokohama Geolanders? I keep reading how everyone loves the Dirt Hawgs, but I sorta like the look of the HPI's better. Basic asphalt/dirt/grass usage.

http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm

Also, anyone use the MT Mesh Wheels? I'm thinking of mounting the Yokohama's on these instead of the RPMs everyone seems to use. Lemme know what you guys think!

Old 02-17-2005, 10:08 PM
aliens8mycow

Default RE: HPI Geolander or PL Dirt Hawgs?

I ran both tires on my evader and loved 'em both. If you get the geolanders, get some very stiff foam, though - they're pretty thin on the sidewalls and roll when you turn hard. They do great on just about any surface, though. Sounds like you've heard plenty about the dirt hawgs already!

Old 02-17-2005, 10:21 PM
shizzolator

what's up a8! good to know that these will work out fine...thanks too for the tip on using stiffer foams inside (I'm assuming they DON'T come w/ the inserts...darn).

For some reason I just don't like the look of the DH's. I like how the Geolander's are sorta directional, I guess.

'Nother question for you, o wise Cows...what's the long-term implications of going w/ bigger 'monster-style' wheels/tires on the Evader? Did you try this w/ your evader? Just wondering how the axles/bearings would hold up after a while...
Old 02-17-2005, 10:42 PM
aliens8mycow

The only real problem is that you need hex adapters to mount the wheels. You can get 'em at towerhobbies, but you'll need them for sure. I never had any trouble with it wearing my drivetrain, but I didn't run 'em all the time.

I liked the look of the geo's too - they're very realistic. And directional - check and check again before you glue them!
Old 02-28-2005, 10:55 PM
XDD

Sounds good, I have the geolanders in my shopping cart at tower. They look really good and I have pretty much decided to get them. I want to be able to hook up enough to do wheelies. My N-Evader has tires on it right now that are bald, and don't hook up for nothing (obviously). I put masher2k's from my Pede on the other day and it's out there doing 10mph rolling wheelies with stock gearing, lol. I don't like the look of bigger tires on the evader, so I wanted to keep a small all-terrain tire (i got that slammed, aero look goin on right now). I bought a BX spur gear (4 less teeth) to try and tame the bottom end. As of now this thing has way too much power.

All the N-Evaders are overpowered, lol. It's great though, just makes tire selection more important.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:52 PM
C3Racing
My Feedback: (1)

Hey..For some reason I just don't like the look of the DH's. I like how the Geolander's are sorta directional, I guess............ Sure the geolander's look sweet if you got a flower pot R/C!!! Your not gonna see the fancy tread on the R/C if your rippin dirt all over the place. They are both good. I myself have the Dirt Hawg's.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:31 AM
XDD

I think I didn't like the Dirt Hawgs much because I had them on my Max MT, which was kinda nose heavy. I was doing wheelies when I put them on my Pede. Nonetheless, I am going with the geolanders this time around. Might as well try something different, and based on the opinions expressed here, at worst they are just as good as the DH's. I'll be getting them sometime soon.