RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushless ESC & Motor Issue

Old 02-24-2005, 01:14 PM
rCexpert

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Brushless ESC & Motor Issue

What's up!

What kind of Brushless ESC & Motor are you guys using to upgrade your cars? Would someone post some pictures of their coool cars?

any way, I have a e-maxx, electric rustler and a 4-tech. ohh yeaah, I am a big fan of traxxas. I got fed up with all the motor maintain and crap, now I like to upgrade all these car to brushless.

It seens novak and hacker are pretty much all the choices I have, but so they are so expense. I am thinking of using foreign brand of brushless motor such as Feigao Brushless motor, as it's pretty cheap. Would you guys recommend some ESC or brushless combo for these cars?

Any help is appriciated
jay

Old 02-24-2005, 01:19 PM
aliens8mycow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Brushless ESC & Motor Issue

The feigao is a very comparable motor to the hacker, but at a better price. http://www.rc-monster.com would be the place to go for those. He can also recommend the right motor and esc to run it. For instance, your rustler and 4-tec would run on the feigao S series, but the maxx will require the L series and a larger esc. He offers the BK Warrior and MGM esc's, which are also great products for a great price.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:22 PM
45mph pede

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Novak and Hacker are the two main choices that people use, but there are other companys that have a good if not better product like, lehner and avexio (sp) I personaly have a novak ss, and have driven an avexio and novak hv-maxx.

Heres my brushless pede:

Heres my brushless pro4:

I would recomend the novak ss for the 4tec, a hacker or hv-maxx for the emaxx and a lehner or avexio for the rusty.
-Wes
Old 02-24-2005, 04:04 PM
mycarisaser

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got rid of my novak ss5800 and got a lehner basic 5300 with a shultze controler. I also have a hacker 8t c-40. The lehner is the most powerfull. I got rid of the novak b/c it was not powerfull enough and its throttle control was not to my liking and it did not matter how much I gear up the truck to run in very very soft sand it would still over heat and bog down. The lehner is down right amazing it has enouigh power to climb up to the top of our 150+ foot sand dune with out any hesitation. It will climb a 25 to 30 foot dune and has enough power to to jump 15 to 20 feet off the top of it. I am using 7 cell 1.175 GP3300 b/c the speed control will not let me use cheep batteries.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:14 PM
SkrapIron

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm running the Novak SS in my T3, and the Feigao/Warrior combo in my B4. I think for a basic bashing motor, the Novak is a better choice, since it is the least sophisticated, least expensive, and you can run it on cheap battery packs. The Feigao Is much faster, but requires really high quality battery packs to run right.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:07 PM
mycarisaser

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with SkrapIron the novak is the easy way to get into the brushless world and does allow you to less expensive batteries. I am just letting you know your options b/c I would of saved the money and got the shultze/lehner combo to start with if I would have known but the good part is that my mom is happy with the novak (I put it in her b4)
Old 03-11-2005, 12:26 AM
tndiverdown

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Stay away from Novak. I have a HV and it will not run on 14 cells longer than 3 minutes before it thermals. I would go with a Warrior/10L or warrior/9L combo for the E-maxx.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Speedmunkey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: BL_Force

Stay away from Novak. I have a HV and it will not run on 14 cells longer than 3 minutes before it thermals. I would go with a Warrior/10L or warrior/9L combo for the E-maxx.
Sounds to me like you are geared wrong. RC Driver just did a review of the HV and it was glowing. Could be a dud unit too.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:26 AM
C3Racing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So is the ss5800 like a intro-n00b bl sys ? and do you have to run cheap batt's for that sys?
Old 03-11-2005, 09:52 AM
studysession

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have tried a few brushless systems and did not care for the Novak as much as others. I prefer something with more torque and power. I also prefer something that can handle more than 7 cells.

You could get a BK Warrior ESC and Fiegao motor for same price as Novak SS5800 and it will support more cells along with giving you more motor upgrade options later. The SS5800 you are pretty much stuck with the Novak motor. With a Warrior ESC you can use any sensorless motor available on the market long as you stay within the ESC's limits.

You can get Warrior ESC's from here:
http://www.rc-monster.com

Cheers -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42101.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	242135  
Old 03-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Speedmunkey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is an easy system to work with, and has limited programming options. A newbie could use it easily, but the perfomance of it is on par with other BL system running the same number of cells. That's where it falls short of the Hackers and other "high end" BL systems. It only handles up to 7 cells, where they handle much more. It is that massive voltage they can suck up that makes them so fast. If the Novak could handle the voltage, it'd be just as fast, and smoother thanks to the sensored design.

I personally race with my system and I run high quality packs. I can see an amazing difference in performance going from a 1.175 pack to a 1.185 pack.. With my brushed motors, those packs perform almost equally.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:55 AM
studysession

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Do you have to run cheap batteries? The answer is no. But it will work with cheap batteries where high end systems will not. I have some ESC's that if they are not the highest quality of GP3300's or better, they just cog all day long. Where some ESC's can run on cheaper batteries without problems like the Novak.

The Novak is great for beginners, that are new to brushless. It is a good system, but for an advanced user it is very weak and slow.

Quote:
ORIGINAL: C3Racing

So is the ss5800 like a intro-n00b bl sys ? and do you have to run cheap batt's for that sys?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Speedmunkey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"but for an advanced user it is very weak and slow. "

To finish that thought for him.......

..... because it only uses 7 cells. If it used the same number of cells that other systems did though, it would be on the same level.

you're welcome Study =)

How do your big dog BL systems compare to the Novak when using 7 cells? Considering 7 cells is the most cells you can cram into a 1/10 scale truck or buggy without modifications, performance at that level should be the benchmark we judge them by.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:05 AM
studysession

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How do they compare?

There is a big difference when I am running a Hacker C40 6T on six cells instead of the Novak. Grant it, we are talking about a $450 brushless setup instead of a $225 setup. If you want to compare motors of similar or equal "kv" ratings, then it will be close to the same. The biggest difference seen on similar or equal "kv" rated motors on same # of cells would be acceleration due to some motors have more or less torque than others.

That is the big advantage going with the Warrior ESC's instead of novak though is the # of cells it supports along with you are not limited to just one or two motors to use with it.

Make sense??
Old 03-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Wicked!!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

45mph pede,

Dood mann! Break out the soldering Iron and get rid of all that wire. [:-]

Old 03-11-2005, 10:17 AM
studysession

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Shortening the wire is good if you do not share the system with other RC's.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Speedmunkey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Study, I agree that more cells makes for some killer rpm and torque. But, in the case of my Losis (Losii?) and T4, 7 cells is the most I can fit without rigging something up to hold them. Plus, as a racer, even my outlaw racing class has a max cells limit of 7. Thus, the 7 cell performance is far more important to me than the 14.

The one advantage I think higher end system have is, like you say, motor swapping. I'd love to throw a slower motor on my Novak sometimes when the track is not race-ready. I'd also love to see Novak or someone release graded motors, like a 19x1, a 10x2, a 14x3, etc.. Right now, I use my throttle EPA to control my max rpm, and that's annoying.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:50 PM
SkrapIron

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Running 14 cells, all the while trying to pull the trigger through the radio and into your palm will most certainly cause problems in just 3 minutes. Especially if you kept the stock gearing. Check out Hacker's site. They put the C41 in the Emaxx, and only got 5 min run time at full throttle. But they had to change the trucks gearing. Think about it. The E-maxx tips the scales at over 9 pounds stock with 2, 6cell packs. You are using a single brushless motor to run the truck , now weighing in at around 10 pounds with the 2, 7 cells packs. I bet it ran like an ape on fire for those 3 minutes! Switching to a different motor and ESC won't help your run times. You need to gear down, and put the truck on a diet. Try to shed as much weight as possible. I know that's tough, but it's necessary. Yes, it will run 40+mph on a brushless motor. But it's so gosh-darnned heavy that it can't do so for very long!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:18 PM
yahman1254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

how about running a novak EX system, they are more efficient and the sensors help stop cogging.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:58 AM
Phelansa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Umm, this thread is 2 years old?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:23 AM
ASYSTEMERROR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SkrapIron

Quote:

Running 14 cells, all the while trying to pull the trigger through the radio and into your palm will most certainly cause problems in just 3 minutes. Especially if you kept the stock gearing. Check out Hacker's site. They put the C41 in the Emaxx, and only got 5 min run time at full throttle. But they had to change the trucks gearing. Think about it. The E-maxx tips the scales at over 9 pounds stock with 2, 6cell packs. You are using a single brushless motor to run the truck , now weighing in at around 10 pounds with the 2, 7 cells packs. I bet it ran like an ape on fire for those 3 minutes! Switching to a different motor and ESC won't help your run times. You need to gear down, and put the truck on a diet. Try to shed as much weight as possible. I know that's tough, but it's necessary. Yes, it will run 40+mph on a brushless motor. But it's so gosh-darnned heavy that it can't do so for very long!

yup thats just the way it is ! so after you buy the stuff you still have to set it up right !!!!!!! sounds a lil likr nitro but cooler and cleaner ~
Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 AM
MT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like my Mamba Max 5700, with regular nicads it will 'cog' a bit, but with a nice lipo, it is great.
As far as the cars, I have a buddy that put a MM 5700 in his 4tec, and had nothing but drivline parts breaking. Keep in mind, this is only a one person example,and this one person is drives his cars very hard.

Search this Thread