Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Offcial xxx-t thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Shake n Bake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Offcial xxx-t thread

i got one to, its a mf2 with a mamba 7700 BL The pic is my avatar
Old 01-11-2007, 03:28 PM
SpecialEd

ORIGINAL: Brushless Corey

Ahhhh......decisions...decisions. Right now I'm only running 6 cell batteries. I really don't want to drop $200 for the Mamba Max, LiPo battery, Deans plugs, and a LiPo charger all at once. I can see this hobby is already starting to get out of control. LOL I'm also wanting an electric 4wd buggy. Possibly a XX4 and also get me a Nitro monster truck. I'm thinking a Muggy would do the job just fine. That way I'll have a little bit of everything. Not sure if I'll get me a touring car.
I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down[8D] I started with a nitro monster truck. It just made me so mad at all the tuning and cleaning that I sold it and went to an electric MT. Then I wanted something smaller so I got my XXX-T. Then I found a great deal on an Evader ST. Then I built a second Evader ST from all of the spare parts I had accumulated from upgrading the first one. Then I decided I wanted a touring car so bought a TC3. And now I'm seriously contemplating buying my buddy's electric buggy. I'm also half a step away from buying a Mini LST. This hobby is very addictive to say the least. But...it's still cheaper than a lot of other recreational things bored people can get into

You know you can buy one charger that will charge your NiMH NiCad and LiPo batteries, right? I've got a Super Brain 977 so am ready to go when I choose to buy LiPo. There are ways to lessen the cost if you look for them. The problem is that we generally tend to turn a blind eye to them

Have fun with this!
Old 01-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Brushless Corey

ORIGINAL: SpecialEd

I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down[8D] I started with a nitro monster truck. It just made me so mad at all the tuning and cleaning that I sold it and went to an electric MT. Then I wanted something smaller so I got my XXX-T. Then I found a great deal on an Evader ST. Then I built a second Evader ST from all of the spare parts I had accumulated from upgrading the first one. Then I decided I wanted a touring car so bought a TC3. And now I'm seriously contemplating buying my buddy's electric buggy. I'm also half a step away from buying a Mini LST. This hobby is very addictive to say the least. But...it's still cheaper than a lot of other recreational things bored people can get into

You know you can buy one charger that will charge your NiMH NiCad and LiPo batteries, right? I've got a Super Brain 977 so am ready to go when I choose to buy LiPo. There are ways to lessen the cost if you look for them. The problem is that we generally tend to turn a blind eye to them

Have fun with this!

I have alot of buddies that do nitro so I don't think I'll have a problem with getting it tuned and keeping running......I hope. I think the Muggy will be my choice of nitro monster trucks. I'll probably get my one of the electric 4wd buggies that Losi makes eventually.

I didn't know you could buy a charger like that. Then again, when I got back into this, I didn't realize the choices of batteries that I had. I have the Super Brain 959 so I'm assuming I can't charge all the different types. I haven't really looked at it that closely. I did notice it had some other wires hanging off it though.[sm=52_52.gif] How much was the 977?

BTW.....can any of you post up some direct links to some sites that offer stuff in aluminum and titanium for the XXX-T? I see some XXX-T's on Ebay that have tons of stuff on them, but I can never find them. If I paln on going fast I need to keep it together as much as possible. Do other parts of other cars work on the XXX-T as well and I just don't know that?

Thanks....
Old 01-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Maxime

Hehe just about done installing my new Mamba Max 5700 I bought tonight in my xxx-t!

I'll go test it in a parking lot nearby and will let you know how it is ( Altough it's pretty cold outside! )
Old 01-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Brushless Corey

NICE!!!! I'm trying to figure out which Mamba I want to go with. I really don't want to upgrade to LiPo and a LiPo charger right now, but who knows. The hobby shop close to me has the 5700, 7700, and the Velociti 3.5 in stock. I think the 3.5 would be a bit much, but I think it would be fun as hell ripping up and down the street. I'll figure it out soon.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:35 PM
BoysToys

I got my MM5700 installed today and did some quick runs down the street. It is faster on 6 cells than my Novak 5.5 but I have it geared 19/88 instead of 15/88. It was in the 50s here today and the motor temp never got above 145. I am trying to figure out a way to mod my chassis so I can fit a 3s lipo in it. The Lipo is about 15mm taller than a NIMH stick pack. I have a broken chassis that I am going to experiment with. If I can't get it VERY secure I am only going to get a 2 lipo that will easily fit under the battery strap. Ed I also have the MRC 977 so I will only need a pack and a balancer to make the switch to lipo.
Corey- If you don't ever plan on running more than 8 cells or 2s 7.4 volt lipo the 7700 will be the fastest motor for you. The Novak will be smoother at very low throttle or when starting up but the Mamba will be able to give you higher speeds. If you want to run 9-12 cells or 3s 11.1 volt lipo get the 5700. I may have a Novak 5.5 for sale, I am not sure if I am going to put it in my Stampede or not yet. I don't think that my 6 year old son would be able to control it even with the EPA turned way down to 50% or so. Good luck with your decision.

Here is my truck as of today.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:01 AM
farknben

I bet if you swap those tires around you will get better traction
Old 01-12-2007, 12:06 AM
farknben

ORIGINAL: Brushless Corey

I have alot of buddies that do nitro so I don't think I'll have a problem with getting it tuned and keeping running......I hope. I think the Muggy will be my choice of nitro monster trucks.
If your LHS supports the Monster GT you may want to consider it as your first nitro. As far as I have ever seen it is the easiest to tune and it holds a tune. Which the LST motors really are not known for. Plus its probably the(or saveage) storngest out of the box. Thats just IMO.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Maxime

Ok I just tried it, and altough traction was at near zero ( frozen asphalt! ), the system is very powerfull. Some cogging after a spin-out but nothing really serious, quite smooth most of the time in fact. I'll need to play with all those settings! I was running on 6 cells GP3700.

Very satisfied! I'm awaiting a second ESC and selling some of my brushed ESCs and my Neo Sphere combo on eBay!
Old 01-12-2007, 12:49 AM
Brushless Corey

ORIGINAL: BoysToys

I got my MM5700 installed today and did some quick runs down the street. It is faster on 6 cells than my Novak 5.5 but I have it geared 19/88 instead of 15/88. It was in the 50s here today and the motor temp never got above 145. I am trying to figure out a way to mod my chassis so I can fit a 3s lipo in it. The Lipo is about 15mm taller than a NIMH stick pack. I have a broken chassis that I am going to experiment with. If I can't get it VERY secure I am only going to get a 2 lipo that will easily fit under the battery strap. Ed I also have the MRC 977 so I will only need a pack and a balancer to make the switch to lipo.
Corey- If you don't ever plan on running more than 8 cells or 2s 7.4 volt lipo the 7700 will be the fastest motor for you. The Novak will be smoother at very low throttle or when starting up but the Mamba will be able to give you higher speeds. If you want to run 9-12 cells or 3s 11.1 volt lipo get the 5700. I may have a Novak 5.5 for sale, I am not sure if I am going to put it in my Stampede or not yet. I don't think that my 6 year old son would be able to control it even with the EPA turned way down to 50% or so. Good luck with your decision.

Here is my truck as of today.

Right now I'm just running a Black Label (Reedy I think) 3700 battery. I didn't realize the 3sLiPo will not fit without modification of some sort. I'll be figuring out what I'm gonna do here soon. I won't be able to watch my brother run his while I'm just being all slow. I'm gonna have to do something eventually. He is running the 7700 with a 2s Lipo with a Dean's plug in his Rustler. If you or I can figure out how to do a 3s Lipo with this chassis that'll probably be the way I go and also with the 5700.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:34 AM
BoysToys

I have been trying to figure out how to securely mount a 3s lipo all day, before I call up MaxAmps and make a mistake. I attempted to use velcro straps on a couple of stacked stick packs but I could not get them tight enough to feel comfortable using them for anything other than a speed run. I would hate to crash and damage such an expensive pack. According to MaxAmps the 6000mah 3S2p is 32mm thick. My measurements show there to be 25mm from the chassis to bottom of the battery strap, when mounted upside down. So I have to figure out where to get 8-10mm. My idea right now is drill two holes where the circles are and mount two of [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJK73&P=7]these silver studs[/link], that I have from my Stampede, and then drill one hole at the other end of my battery clamp and reuse it on top of the pack to secure it. Does anyone have any different or better ideas, I am all ears. I should have some time this weekend to try it out on my old broken chassis before I mess up my good one.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:35 PM
BoysToys

Well I had a looooooong meeting at work today and was sitting next to another teacher and fellow RC enthusiast. We scraped the idea of modding the chassis and sketched out an idea for a new retainer strap. I stopped by Home Depot on my way home and picked up a small piece of .093 Lexan. After some measuring, marking, cutting, heating, and bending this is the finished product. I think that it will work perfectly and I can still use the stock strap and my NIMH packs!! It only took about 20 minutes to make so if it does not fit perfectly once my batteries get here I can make another one. Now to order the 6000mah 3s2p 11.1v lipo pack from MaxAmps and see what this thing can do!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 09:40 PM
need 4 speed

looks nice
Old 01-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Brushless Corey

Thats what I'm talking about...
Old 01-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Motoman8504

That looks like it will work great. Nice job. One suggestion though, you might want to put something soft on the bottom of the strap just to help cushion the battery.Plus, it would prevent the battery from getting scratched up from rubbing on the strap. Oh, and by the way you're prbably going to have to cut a small notch in one of the battery sidewalls for the battery wires. A buddy of mine has the 3S 4000Mah Maxamps battery and the wires just won't bend enough to run parallel with the sidewalls on the inside. Just thought I'd give you the heads up. Let us know how it works out.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:07 PM
BoysToys

Motoman-
Yeah I am planning on running strip of foam across the bottom of the strap and probably anchoring the strap at the rear... by drilling a hole and puting a screw through the chassis/strap right above the foam block. Thanks for the heads up on the battery wires. I will make any necessary adjustments when the batteries come in.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Krakit

Hey guys, the internet was inop for a couple of days over here and like I said, I'd get back to y'all with more info abou the EA3 composite Losi is now using. Now here I am, but as I researched the internet, I've given up empty handed with nothing but links to Tower Hobbies [parts] and Losi's RC Buggy. Zero-Zip-Nada info about the new EA3 composite used by Losi's new products. I wonder why? I talked to our Composite Technicians and they seem to think that the part I had was a composite type material mixed with a lightweight resin. They say that the way it broke is not like a plastic, and another guy tried to burn [the piece I had] and said that it did not melt like plastic either. Sorry, I have no other info.

Anyways, still waiting for my parts so I can rebuild my XXX-T and get back to running the truck around. I've been visiting some rc forums out there, collecting info about gearing, pinions, weight & balance of rc cars & pivot points and all that good stuff. As I delve deeper and deeper into this information, I've learned that there are some VERY SERIOUS HOBBISTS out there who are extremely passionate about this hobby. To each their own you know. Well, to me it's my perspective that this is a fun hobby, not to be taken too seriously and enjoyed as a hobby, not a science! I guess at an early age one enjoys it for fun but as you get older it becomes an insane hobby for others. Not me...I'm in it for the fun.......and the chicks! [Just joking honey!]

Hey, kinda off topic here but was wondering if someone could check out my spare motor and help me understand some things about it. [This motor came out of my HPI RS4 Sport.]
I know that it's a Team Kinwald motor and goes vrrooommmm, but what I don't understand is that there is some type of advance lines on the side of the motor [#2]. What is that for? Additionally, there are two green and one yellow capacitors soldered to the top of the motor and [to the motorcan] for some reason [#1]. Why are they there and what do they do? I want to open up the motor and clean it, but I want to be sure that I don't mess anything up as well. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38335.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	597978  
Old 01-14-2007, 07:16 PM
farknben

It looks to be a resistor in #1 and as far as the timing there should be a mark somewhere on the cap. Id just set it to center/neutral. Ive never gotten any real positive effect out of timing. Just my opinion.......I dont race so maybe the racing guys do use the timing????
Old 01-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Krakit

Ok, for you rookies out there [AND ME! ] here is some excellent links about:

Motor Timing: http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lan...tor-timing.asp

Motor Wiring: http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lane/motor/g-motor.asp

Motor Maintenance: http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lan...intenance1.asp

Hope this helps [8D]
Old 01-17-2007, 10:27 AM
SpecialEd

Krakit,

Misbehavin' does have some great tips. I get a lot of info and inspiration from his site. For other good information on electric motors such as what each part is called and what it does, how to clean your motor, etc, check out [link=http://www.rcracingusa.net/electricmotor.htm]RC Racing USA's Electric Motor FAQs[/link]. Be sure to check out their [link=http://www.rcracingusa.net/rcguide.htm]RC Guide page[/link] as well because there is a wealth of information you may not have thought to look up (such as how to store your tires during the winter months...as if there's a cold winter in Iraq ).

It may be overboard but when I find sites like this I generally print off the whole of the information I find and keep it in a binder. There are times when I'm working on my trucks and need a bit of info and I don't feel like going through the hassle of getting onto the internet and tracking down the page. That's when the binder really comes in handy.

And by the way...thanks for the job you're doing over there. And much thanks to your family as well. I was an Army brat all of my childhood (and into adulthood) so I know how difficult it can be on soldiers and their families. Your contributions will always be appreciated.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Hemi6677

I second what Special Ed said.

Krakit, thank you for the sacrafice and duty that you and your fellow soldiers offer the world everyday. Stay safe as I have enjoyed many of your posts and stories of how you enjoy your RC hobby while on duty in Iraq.

I can't begin to tell you how much information I have absorbed and put into practice from reading this thread. It has made my transition to racing my XXX-T much easier.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Brushless Corey

Hemi.....I think your not too far from me. Where do you race your truck at?
Old 01-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Hemi6677

So far I have only been racing at P&T Hobbies in Mitchell, Indiana but I have only been two times so far. Charlestown is only about 50 minutes from Seymour so we are practically neighbors!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:52 PM
xxx-t2

The xxx-cr chassis is ea3 and it will work for the xxx-t mf2, or rtr

http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...SIS-%26/Detail
Old 01-17-2007, 07:27 PM
losixxx-t

Ok, i know my screen name says Rustler, but I sold it to my son and bought a XXX-T RTR the day after x-mas. I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!!
Its like goin' from a Yugo to a Lexus!. I bought RPM Clawz and Pro Line Speed Hawgs, 7 cell batt. and Co27 motor for racing. Geared 17/88, (want to get 86t spur), this thing is a pleasure to drive. Didnt like the 19 turn motor it came with though, it burnt up in 3 days. I called Losi, and they wanted me to send the motor and speed controller back to them (I pay for shipping) and they said they would see what they could do for me. Wasnt happy about that, so i'll probably get an Amber 17turn to replace it. Other than that, it rocks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.