Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Getting back in, what to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 10:19 PM
lisevolution

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back in, what to buy?

Hello all, it's been a long time for me since I've done anything with RC. I do still have a jato but I'm thinking about getting back into the racing scene and the only track I know of here on Long Island is indoors and thus electric only. I want something I can build with and ideally rtr or a rolling chassis. I'll build if I have to id just prefer not to this time around if possible.

I'd love a 4wd buggy but I feel there's limited options if I go that route... Are the stadium trucks still being run? I know there's been a push for the short track trucks recently but I'm not into that.

I appreciate the advice in advance. Obviously durability is a priority as I'm sure my driving will be terrible and many horrific and entertaining crashes will happen.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:07 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 2 main things you need to consider. First is what do you want to race. If you want to run 4wd instead of 2wd don't buy a 2wd. 4wd buggy doesn't have quite as many choices as 2wd but I don't think they're that limited. There's AE, Losi, Tekno, Durango, Schumacher, Team C and others.

The second thing to consider is what classes are available at the track and how popular they are. If 4wd buggy usually has a turnout of only 1/2 dozen guys and they're all the top racers you may not want to run that class. This is very possible as 4wd buggy usually doesn't have a stock motor class, only mod motor classes. 4wd SCT offers a similar platform and handling characteristics and may be worth considering if 4wd buggy is not an option for you. You really need to go to the track, talk to track workers and racers to see what class turnout is like and who is running in those classes.

Yes I'm from Long Island. But unfortunately I don't have the time to even consider racing so I have no idea what goes on at the track. I haven't even been to the new location. There is a group that races at the deer park train station if you have any interest in onroad. They hang out over at the RCTech forums.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:46 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, most defiantly check your local track for classes being raced, and what brands/parts are being sold/raced at the track.

I am a diehard stadium truck user now with some buggies and a short course truck I keep around for when friends show up at the house; wanting to play my toys. I have raced 2wd buggies forever (it seems) and have been out of racing since 2008ish. I would probably race again if only I could race my stadium truck(s). The whole short course thing is OK, but I like the way stadium trucks drive compared to everything else that I have or had (I never had a 4wd buggy since the Optima was out). The closest indoor track doesn't run the ST classes any more and I see no comeback of the class in the near future, here at least . In my neck of the woods, it's all Mod/Spec/Sportsman Buggy classes with Mod Short Course, and 4wd Buggy at the track now.
The closest outdoor race track is 1/8 scale buggies/trugggies.

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-14-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:13 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

I've been reading that Stadium Trucks are on the comeback, Rusty, so keep the faith.
I just got a short course truck recently (my buddy too), and the thing we noticed, and love about them, is that they seem to land on their feet more often than not when we're racing them around my track. Unlike our truggies that seem to end up on their lids on every crash, which means having to take "the walk". What's really amusing to us, is when the SCTs end up on their sides. Turn the wheels to the side the truck is lying on and punch the throttle. The truck is back on its feet again and back in the chase.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:42 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by RustyUs
I am a diehard stadium truck user now with some buggies and a short course truck I keep around for when friends show up at the house; wanting to play my toys. I have raced 2wd buggies forever (it seems) and have been out of racing since 2008ish. I would probably race again if only I could race my stadium truck(s). The whole short course thing is OK, but I like the way stadium trucks drive compared to everything else that I have or had
Its funny how people develop tastes and tend to stick with them. You've been big into 2wd buggy for racing, stadium trucks are the next natural progression. I can definitely see getting hooked on them.

I grew up with a Tamiya Hornet that I drove mostly on the street looking for sandy areas to slide its rear all over. I liked the Rusty I had later on and even enjoyed racing it a few times. The Rustler VXL I had later on was a great intro to brushless but I couldn't stand the handling, not after getting used to the 4wd in my TMaxx. The TMaxx was like the Hornet all over again sliding around but even more controllable. Haven't had a 2wd since. If I was going to race though, it would be a tough choice between Stadium Truck and 4wd SCT. I don't think I'd be able to handle a 4wd buggy that well, maybe down the road in my hypothetical future racing career.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:44 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, call the indoor track and see what they race. It may be on-road type.

If I were getting into racing and didn't want to drop a mint, I'd go for some kind of stock class. Maybe 2WD short course truck.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:42 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Definitely find out what your local track races. But check out LRP's new offering, the Blast 4wd Stadium Truck. Just read about it in RC Car Action. $315 as an RTR. The included radio even has end-point adjustments! If it was available before I bought my Hyper 10TT, I'd have bought the LRP, because at the time, I was looking for a 4wd version of my Evader stadium truck.