Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Electric Motor Dust Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 03:37 PM
NOIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Motor Dust Problem!

Hi all,
I'm new to your forum so if I error, please forgive. I have an Associted RC10 B4 Buggy kit with a motor upgrade to Speed Gem 10T. I recently found a very nice public track that is mostly fine dirt. The problem is that my motor will get dust in it after 2 or 3 laps and quit running. My local Hobby store said just to spray it with elecric motor cleaner. Does anyone have a better idea? I'd like to at least run the battery done before the car quits. Any suggestions are welcome.[&o]
Old 09-02-2005, 04:33 PM
45mph pede
Banned

Default RE: Electric Motor Dust Problem!

Do you run with a body and the dirt still comes in enough to mess up the motor?!
-Wes
Old 09-02-2005, 07:08 PM
NOIC

Wes,
Yes I run with a body, but the car is a buggy so the body doesn't cover much. The motor is mostly exposed.
Don
Old 09-02-2005, 07:19 PM
45mph pede
Banned

Hmm... I've never heard of issues like this...

Well you could get a thin sheet of lexan and make like a cover over the motor so that the dust doesnt get in, maby try a heat sink? That could keep some of the dirt out of the motor area.
-Wes
Old 09-02-2005, 07:29 PM
NOIC

That Heat Sink idea sounds worth pursuing. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:50 PM
scyan

I like the lexan cover, but I might have heat concerns. Make sure there is still enough air going to the motor.

My idea would be to make sure the brushes arent too tight in the brush hoods. I have this issue with a Fantom 19t team edition and the brushes are tight in the hoods and it makes it stick like this in the dust. I have pried them appart just a tiny bit and my problem was solved.

Make sure you know exactly what makes it quit...

Scy
Old 09-02-2005, 08:32 PM
NOIC

Thanks Scy,
I think I will do a little more investigation to determine just what is causing this. It doesn't seem logical that this would be a problem for a car designed to run off road. If I come up with something concrete I'll post it.
Don
Old 09-02-2005, 09:21 PM
someoneelse
My Feedback: (1)

I have seen people who wrap tape around the endbell and onto the wires to keep the motor clean, you just have to worry about cooling.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:19 AM
That0neGuy
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

Lossen the screw on the hood a qaurter turn and spray it clean then drop a drop of oil in behind the brush and grab the brush wire and pull a tiny bit and realease.Do this over and over till the brush moves freely in the hood.Also get a heatsink anyways if your running that 10T.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:15 AM
NOIC

Sounds like we are getting somewhere. I thought it odd that the motor would do that, so it appears that some tweaking to the motor was necessary. Will work on it today. I appreciate all the fast responses.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:37 AM
purple_car

Another noob question: what kind of oil should be used on brushes?
Old 11-22-2005, 08:57 AM
NOIC

Well I've learned a little thanks to all of you helpful people. One suggestion was to use Com Drops (available at your local hobby store) on the Commutator. A drop from each side then run the motor a little helps keep the contact good. Of coarse spray the motor with electric motor cleaner first then I use compressed air to dry it off. A lot of gunk will come out so I spray the cleaner until it appears clean. Another thing is to check the brushes often. Mine wear out faster than my old motor's brushes. A quick fix if the engine quits is to spray compressed air to clean it out, but sometimes it just takes a good cleaning. The drops made a considerable difference.

I am having a hard time finding a heat sink to fit though. The B4 Buggy assembly has a motor cage that prohibits a standard sink. You need a narrow 4 fin clip on sink and from what I can tell they aren't made any longer. Suggestions welcome as usual.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:38 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

Try www.towerhobbies.com
Old 11-24-2005, 08:15 PM
NOIC

Thanks...Tower has a ton of them. Unfortunately none to fit the B4 Buggy assembley. This is a picture of the motor cage. It has me stumped! http://www.rc10.com/enlarge/rc10b4_tranny.htm