Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RC CAR HISTORY

The other day there was a topic here titled "anyone recognize this" and it caused a little history lesson to ensue. It was really cool to think back, when i first started getting seriously into the hobby, and racing competitively.I also got a pm on how cool it was to see or hear about older stuff and requested more info on the older stuff and i thought it would make a cool thread. It would be interesting to hear everyones rc roster from when they first started till now. Im also, to the best of my knowledge, going to list by manufacturer, the model runs that i know about in chronological order. Im sure i will miss the mark on some, so help me out here and i will edit and add to/change if you post corrections in this thread.

My line up:grasshopper,blackfoot,falcon,a kyosho buggy that i cant remember the name of but it had a mid-engine config. and was rear wheel drive, ae rc10 gold tub before the stealth tranny, rc10 team car blk tub stealth, rc10t, xxt, xxt-cr, xxt-cr graphite plus, xxxtmf1, xxxtmf2, more than one on some of these.

these kits and the year of release are just from memory, and if anyone sees mistakes here, let me know and i will edit them

Losi 2wd buggies: jrx2 1988, jrx-pro 1990 xx 1992, xxcr 1995, xxcr graphite plus1997, xxx 2001, xxx kinwald1 ?, xxx kinwald2...?

Losi stadium trucks:jrxt 1988, jr-t 1990, lxt 1991, xxt 1992, xxt-cr 1995, xxt-cr graphite plus 1997, xxxt 2001, xxxtmf1 2003, xxxtmf2 2005.

AE 2wd buggies: rc10 1985, rc10 gold edition 1987,rc10 stealth team car 1991, rc10 graphite worlds car 1994 ,b1 ?, b2 ? , b3 ? , b4 2005.

AE stadium trucks:rc10t 1992, t2 ?, t3 ?, t4 2005.

anyone know of anything i should change/add?

XXT-CRer
    ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RC CAR HISTORY

OK you asked for it:

Tamiya Hornet, RC10CE, Schumacher Cat, Schumacher Top Cat, RC10L, Clodbuster, RC 10 Team Car, RC12L, RC10LSS, RC12LW, COBRA SS, RC10T, RC10GT, Losi JRX-T, Losi JRX PRO, Losi Junior T, Losi LXT, Losi xxcr, Traxxas TRX-1, Traxxas Stampede, Kyosho Rocky, HPI Nitro RS4, HPI RS4, HPI Savage 4.6ss, Bolink Eliminator, Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin, Kyosho optima, and I'll finish this later ....

I am rather profficient with older Tamiya models and can generally outline most other makes to an extent. Companies such as AYK, Kyosho, Tamiya, Mauri, Associated, Traxxas, Yokomo and G.V. are rather familiar to me.

For example, the Megatech M16 dragster with a small block nitro mill producing 1.6HP is actually a rebadged G.V. Dragster that no one seems to own.

The AYK Viper was a precursor to the modern day racing buggy. To see one of these incredible machines close up is very rare and impressive, especially with the aluminuim oil shocks and cantilevered suspension in an age where friction shocks and springers ruled the backyard.

Tamiya is a whole separate animal, get me started if you like but I'm warning you, I won't be easy to stop!

Mauri was driven out of the RC realm by stiff competition from Kyosho and Tamiya. The Big Bear was made to combat Tamiya's full line of "Space Age" chassis. The list goes on.

Tamiya started their RC line of models with a meeting of the company higher-ups. The company wanted to find something new that would bring in sales to the declining company. When the conversation came up about the office secretary and his "Little R/C planes."

I started with my fathers Boomerang which still proudly bashes around the yard to this day. After the Boomerang, I got a Rustler, a Grasshopper, a TC3, another Grasshopper, a XXX-NT, a Blackfoot, another Rustler, an E-MAXX, a Juggernaut, a Bruiser, a Kyosho Super Beetle, a Mini-T, an RC10 Graphite Champion edition, a Ford F-150, a Clod, a Bandit, a T2, a GV Super Cobra, a Street Sport, a Stampede chassis, a nd soon to be a XXX-T MFE. I know I forgot a couple but I can't think of them right now. One fo the Rustlers now belongs to my Team mate, along with the RC10 and most recently an RC18T that was a birthday present from me and another team mate. The third team mate has a Stampede, an E-MAXX, and an HPI PRO.

Not a bad collection if I do say so myself. I really want a Tamiya Avante. Not the cheap knock off Avante 2001, but a real Avante. Those things were awsome!

Many of these cars can be seen in the My Models section of my profile. A bunch more pictures are at our website too.

We also have won many races over the years and have collected a ridiculous amount of parts. Just look in my gallery and see all the motors we have in the plastic tray's. Those are just the ones we have for spares. The amount of motor history we have is also quite impressive. Check out our gallery for pictures of our motor collection.
    TEAM PLATINUM RACING

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey dave, i remember when that trx-1 buggy came out. it actually dominated the buggy class at my track because of one guy. no one could touch it.

and platinum,whats a boomerang?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Would you happen to have a Tamiya Wild One???
    ORIGINAL: Platinum_Racing

I am rather profficient with older Tamiya models and can generally outline most other makes to an extent. Companies such as AYK, Kyosho, Tamiya, Mauri, Associated, Traxxas, Yokomo and G.V. are rather familiar to me.

For example, the Megatech M16 dragster with a small block nitro mill producing 1.6HP is actually a rebadged G.V. Dragster that no one seems to own.

The AYK Viper was a precursor to the modern day racing buggy. To see one of these incredible machines close up is very rare and impressive, especially with the aluminuim oil shocks and cantilevered suspension in an age where friction shocks and springers ruled the backyard.

Tamiya is a whole separate animal, get me started if you like but I'm warning you, I won't be easy to stop!

Mauri was driven out of the RC realm by stiff competition from Kyosho and Tamiya. The Big Bear was made to combat Tamiya's full line of "Space Age" chassis. The list goes on.

Tamiya started their RC line of models with a meeting of the company higher-ups. The company wanted to find something new that would bring in sales to the declining company. When the conversation came up about the office secretary and his "Little R/C planes."

I started with my fathers Boomerang which still proudly bashes around the yard to this day. After the Boomerang, I got a Rustler, a Grasshopper, a TC3, another Grasshopper, a XXX-NT, a Blackfoot, another Rustler, an E-MAXX, a Juggernaut, a Bruiser, a Kyosho Super Beetle, a Mini-T, an RC10 Graphite Champion edition, a Ford F-150, a Clod, a Bandit, a T2, a GV Super Cobra, a Street Sport, a Stampede chassis, a nd soon to be a XXX-T MFE. I know I forgot a couple but I can't think of them right now. One fo the Rustlers now belongs to my Team mate, along with the RC10 and most recently an RC18T that was a birthday present from me and another team mate. The third team mate has a Stampede, an E-MAXX, and an HPI PRO.

Not a bad collection if I do say so myself. I really want a Tamiya Avante. Not the cheap knock off Avante 2001, but a real Avante. Those things were awsome!

Many of these cars can be seen in the My Models section of my profile. A bunch more pictures are at our website too.

We also have won many races over the years and have collected a ridiculous amount of parts. Just look in my gallery and see all the motors we have in the plastic tray's. Those are just the ones we have for spares. The amount of motor history we have is also quite impressive. Check out our gallery for pictures of our motor collection.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The traxxas TRX-10 Bullet
    It came before the TRX-1 and was one of the first competitive racing buggies
    It came stock it 1986 (I think was the first year) with gold andonized aluminum chassis and full ball bearings as well as many other thing like swaybars aluminum shocks
    It was one of the first race built vehicles and I think it just looks cool (they are fairly rare)
    I have one all origional missing the origional body in amazing shape
    If some one wanted it for the right price I may be willing to give it up (PM if interested)
    Nick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, and I was that one guy at my local track I had a heck of a run with that thing. Losi's new buggy came out shortly though and that leveled the field out. The only weak spot on the TRX-1 was the steering linkage it cost me a very big race but I can't complain because that buggy got me there. It had very nice suspension and handled better than anything I'd ever driven I actually got the buggy from a traxxas sponsored racer before it was released to the public. He needed money and he had an extra kit. But the Losi XX came out and well you know the rest of the story.....
    ORIGINAL: XXT-CRer

hey dave, i remember when that trx-1 buggy came out. it actually dominated the buggy class at my track because of one guy. no one could touch it.

and platinum,whats a boomerang?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Losi 2wd buggies: jrx2, xx, xxcr, xxcr graphite plus, xxx, xxx kinwald1, xxx kinwald2...?

Losi stadium trucks:jrxt, jr-t, lxt, xxt, xxt-cr, xxt-cr graphite plus, xxxt, xxxtmf1, xxxtmf2.

AE 2wd buggies: rc10, rc10 gold edition,rc10 stealth team car, rc10 graphite worlds car,b1, b2, b3, b4.

AE stadium trucks:rc10t, t2, t3, t4.
    Could you give some approximate dates so us younger guys could see about when products were released compared to each other?
    My R/C Shelf: Team Losi XXX-T w/ Chameleon 19t and MIP CVDs; Traxxas Nitro Sport

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yea i will try but im sure i will miss most of them by a year or so, but i can probably get pretty close. i will edit tha 1st post here to include the dates a little later this eve......im at work right now, so check it tonight. if anyone else here knows the dates of release for these model, post it here and ill just edit the post with that info tonight.

and oh yea raven, i just noticed your from richardson. i live only bout 30 minutes from you. i did the stage lighting at jj pierce high school about 15 years ago. i also race at a couple of the tracks in the area.

The Boomerang was Tamiya's 4WD buggy which incorporated a wierd mono-shock front suspension. It was shaft drive and very cramped. It did well in the top speed catagories, and still rolls around my yard today. I am actually suprised that no one asked about the GV!

To see pictures of my Boomerang, go to www.TeamPlatinumRacing.com/Boomerang.html

No I have not owned a Wild One. I have however in my basment a Tamiya Rough Rider (Hopped up Sand Scorcher) that I am restoring to mint condition for my friend. They are remotly similar, but the Wild one is a bit newer and more advanced. Mabey someday I will get one, but it would most likely be the similar F.A.V.

I warned you guys...The Wild One was released in September of 1985, while the Rough Rider was released on the first of November 1979. The Rough Rider sat on a similar chassis as the F.A.V. It was also the last true baja buggy Tamiya released until the new editions of all these vintage cars today. The Rough Rider shared the same basic elements of design as the Ford Ranger, the Sand Scorcher and the Super Champ.

Edit: So I can't just type in ... like on other forums? I also tried [link]...[/link] but no good. Is the link button the only way to get it to work?
    TEAM PLATINUM RACING

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

those yellow shocks look like the ones on my falcon back in about 1989-1990

They are. The Falcon happened to be the next kit released after the Boomerang. The Falcon debuted in 1986 as the kit directly following the Boomerang into production. Good eyes and good memory!
    TEAM PLATINUM RACING

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a note, I have a GV Dragster NIB.
    So they do exist
    Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My lineup from the years (it's not long, but old):

Some Tyco RC Forumla 1 car (not a put-together) - it was the Al Unser Jr. Domino's Pizza car.
    Crazy Italian SG Coyote (4WD kit)
    Tamiya Falcon (beat all to heck).
    Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid SE
    Schumacher Bosscat
    Associated RC10 (some kind of Worlds hybrid, stealth tranny)

Hmm, nothing even remotely new in there. I gotta get me one!
    DT02-MS | Stadium Thunder | TT Frog | TRF 801XT | CR-01 | F-150 | CRT.5 | T-Egg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let's see:
    Marui Samurai (5), Kyosho Maxxum FF (4), Tamiya Blackfoot, Tamiya Striker, Associated RC10L, Kyohso Nitro Rampage, Ofna Pirate 10, Associated RC10GT, Ofna Ultra Worlds GT, Kyosho MP-5 (3), Kyosho MP-6, Losi NX-T, Ofna Pirate 10 EVO, HPI RS4 Pro, Ofna Colt, HPI Super F1, HPI RS4 Sport, Losi XX-T CR Graphite+, Yokomo YR2-M4 Special FF (2), HPI Super Nitro Rally, HPI Nitro MT, HPI Super Nitro RS4, Corally SP-12 (3), Corally SP10, Corally C4.1, Serpent Impact (2), Serpent Impulse Pro (3), Tamiya M03 Mini Cooper, Buds 1/18, Kyosho Mini-Z, HPI Micro RS4, Kyosho Landmax (2), FG Comp EVO, Yankee 1/4 Suzuki Vitara, Marui Melling Coor Thunderbird (2), Kyosho Fantom 1/12 (2), Kyosho half8, HPI RS4 Pro4, Kyosho Inferno TR15 (3), Traxxas T-Maxx, Traxxas Revo, HPI Savage SS, Kyosho Mad Force, Kyosho Lazer 2000, Kyosho Lazer, Tamiya TL01 Ferrari Modena, Tamiya Baja King, Art Attack snowmobile, GS Racing Storm Pro (2). I'm missing quite a few from the list, but it's a start.
    1 Bad Puddy Tat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OLD THREAD MAKING A COMEBACK. THE 4wd RS4 MT 1/10 truck CAN USE my b44 SADDLE PACKS without mods.[8D]
    Losi DT/Losi XX-4/Tamiya TA05/SC10/Tamiya 501x \"WCE\"/Yokomo YR4 M2/F-150/Blackfoot Xtreme

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This thread would be better with pics. That way it would showcase the old "technology" that was in the cars. I know its a hassle to take pics or find them but I think it would help to put a face with a name, so to speak.

-Sidenote: I looked up the phrase "so to speak" in an english forum, yes they have them, and it was wierd to see punctuation and capital letters only at the start of sentences and proper nouns.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

THE RS4 MT IS JUST SO AWESOME I FOUND OUT IT'S COMPADIBLE WITH SADDLES RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX.[8D]
    Losi DT/Losi XX-4/Tamiya TA05/SC10/Tamiya 501x \"WCE\"/Yokomo YR4 M2/F-150/Blackfoot Xtreme

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HPI RS4 Nitro, HPI RS4 Mini, Traxxas Sport-Maxx, Tamiya TT-01, Tamiya TL-01, Traxxas T-Maxx, Himoto on road Nitro, Ofna LD3, X-Mod, HPI E-Firestorm.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's kind of funny that I found this thread this morning since me and a couple buddies were just talking about this exact topic last night haha

Let's see here, how many cars did I go through from the start...

Tamiya Grasshopper - Still own
    Tamiya Hornet
    Delta 1/12 Super Fazer Carpet
    Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin
    Kyosho Ultima
    Marui Hunter
    Kyosho Brute
    Traxxas Cat - resembled the grasshopper/hornet
    Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid SE
    Tamiya Fox
    Associated Original RC10
    Schumacher Cat XLS
    Tamiya Super Hornet - 3 of them, Still Own
    Kyosho Raider
    Tamiya Stadium Blitzer - 2 of them, Still own one
    Tamiya Lunchbox - still own
    Traxxas Rustler VXL - Still own

I think that's about it.. I didn't even mention all the non hobby grade stuff like the Tyco Turbo hoppers, Nikko Arrows etc that I owned..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: allicedout

HPI RS4 Nitro, HPI RS4 Mini, Traxxas Sport-Maxx, Tamiya TT-01, Tamiya TL-01, Traxxas T-Maxx, Himoto on road Nitro, Ofna LD3, X-Mod, HPI E-Firestorm.

getting one of these days, racing my rs4mt for the first time in Linton Sunday April 6th at the Trophy race Ben E has put together for us!

The Brushless version of the E- firestorm is gonna be awesome!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is a piece of history and goes for 500 bucks in this condition on the bay.

B3's I suppose are better than the B4 and not many were made in the usa.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay74213.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	932508  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's my list of RC cars. I've been in and out of rc cars since the early 80's, so my list isn't that long, but it cover a broad time line.

Tamiya Frog
    Tamiya Hornet
    Tamiya Astute
    Tamiya Porsche 959
    Associated RC10
    Losi GTX
    HPI Nitro MT Racer
    Hobao Hyper 7 PCR
    Losi xxx-t Mat Francis
    Associated TC-3
    Losi 8ight RTR
    Losi 8ight Race Roller.

Now ask me how many rc planes I've had?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wish I had a 959 dont feel like payed 600 bucks for one either. I got the 501x worlds edition instead.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[:@]im[:@]looking for parts cheap for a lazer[X(]2000
    and have a great day. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast