Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Stampede vs. Rustler (or another good cheap truck)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 05:16 PM
Patrick_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampede vs. Rustler (or another good cheap truck)

Hey all. I'm trying to find a decent, good quality, durable, fast truck, and the two biggest contenders right now are the electric versions of the Traxxas Rustler or Stampede. Now, I've read up on a lot of threads here discussing both; from what I hear, the Rustler is a bit faster, and jumps much better (and lands, because of the much lower center of gravity), but the Stampede is definitely better off-roading because of the higher clearance.

I have a few questions. First off, what are the max speeds of the two, with everything stock (and for those who answer, did you mod it at all, and what power-output (mah) and voltage was the battery?)? Also, in your experiences, which do you think are better?

Between the two, for what I would like to do, the Rustler sounds better. What I'm really going to be doing with it is mostly through pavement and off jumps, and occasionally through the dirt/grass.

I'd just like to hear your opinions of both, and why you like one or the other better, and what you recommend for me.

Also: What is ESC, and when they say "with Radio", what does that mean? And has anyone heard of a "Genei 19" motor? Is it faster than the stock?

Thanks a lot! [8D]
Old 10-27-2005, 05:18 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: Stampede vs. Rustler (or another good cheap truck)

i got about 18 mph with the rusty stock. this was with a cheap 1500mah 6 cell battery
Old 10-27-2005, 05:21 PM
mouser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to suggest the Rustler; it has a lower center of gravity, faster out of the box. As for your questions, ESC is an Electronic Speed Control, which is basically the brains of the car, and a radio is the part that sends radio waves from the transmitter to the receiver to control the car (throttle control, turning). If I'm not mistaken, the Genei 19 is a 19T motor, so it will be faster than the 20T motor that the Rustler/ Stampede comes with. The higher the number of motor turns, the more torgue it will have, and the lower number of turns the motor has, the faster it will be.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:24 PM
jigglebelly

I have a rustler. Also if you are planning to get either one make sure you get the one with the esc. It's more expensive, but worth it. As for the motor, if you're going to get a 19 turn i would recommend the chameleon 2 pro.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:39 PM
smitty4
My Feedback: (4)

I had to make the same decision your making. Really look at both and decide. I don't like doing wheelies alot which a stampede will do with upgrades and since I am going to put a brushless motor. It will be way too hard to control a stampede rather than a rustler. Plus a stampede will be easier to roll. And since your new a rustler will be easier to control jumping. A stampede will be a little harder but not much. And your actually wrong about the jumping a stampede will jump better because of the longer shocks it has to absorb it better rather than just bouncing like the rustler will do. Both of them are like bricks. They are slow but both prove to be durable. You are going to spend the money and be driving so you go with what you want to have, but whatever you buy, buy the esc version. A good place to buy online is TowerHobbies. You will need to buy some batteries and a charger. Some good batteries although costly are gp 3300's radioshack now carries them for $20 although they are only good for bashing.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:48 PM
MBX5T Maniac

i recommend getting the one with an MSC.

this is like 30 dollars cheaper, allowing you to spend that extra 30 dollars on a good ESC, that can handle like 10 turns and below.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Patrick_

Thanks guys. smitty: So, which did you choose, the Rustler or the Stampede? [8D]

And I might follow up on the buying the MSC to buy a better ESC with that extra $30. What are some good ones you'd recommend?

Also: mAh is capacity only, correct? So you won't get better performance out of a 3000 vs. a 1500, or am I wrong?
Old 10-27-2005, 07:09 PM
MBX5T Maniac

well the 3000 mah might have higher voltage compared to the 1500 mah, but yes, a 3000 mah will technically get double the run time of a 1500 mah battery with no change in performance.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Bombers_410

rustler is crap get this it will serve you much better and you will jump higher!

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXXJ49**&P=0

its called an evader!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:04 PM
speed lives
My Feedback: (1)

How is the Rustler crap? Name another truck that can jump off a 35ft roof onto flat ground 10x in a row without breaking besides the Stampede.

Rustler/Stampede is the Savage of electric STs.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:07 PM
capone12

I have to say go with the rusty here. I have had mine since around christmas last year and have yet to break a part on it. I dont baby it either when it comes to jumping etc. The only babying I do to it is keeping it halfway clean. First upgrades you should get are bearing carriers and bearings, aluminum idler gear, and some new tires when the stock ones wear out. My only complaint about the truck was the front shocks. Well I very smartly let me friend hold the transmitter while we were inside his house (he has a nice bashing spot behind his house) and then I make sure I tell him at least 5 times to not to pull the trigger. So of course he does it anyway and drives it under full brushless power right into his door (we were lower than the door as its kinda like a single step to get up to the other room) and the front shock took a head on collision with the door. Bent the shock and I didnt notice it until after I had gotten home several days later. Ran with that busted shock for about a month too before I finally replaced it. Duratrax evader shocks fit perfectly and are much better. I got the prebuilt ones and I love the threaded collars because it makes ride height adjustments super easy. Ill try to get pics of my rusty soon. But I dont wanna hear it because yeah I still use the stock body PROUDLY!!

Next upgrade for me is defanelty a new body though.[8D] *cough* atomik rc10gt body *cough*
Old 10-27-2005, 08:07 PM
MBX5T Maniac

evaders are stupid, because they break so much.

the main selling point is the evader is the warrenty. and it really needs that warrenty, because it breaks too much.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:09 PM
MBX5T Maniac

evaders are stupid, because they break so much.

the main selling point is the evader is the warrenty. and it really needs that warrenty, because it breaks too much.

The rusty/pede are so tough, they rival the toughness of most monster trucks
Old 10-27-2005, 08:10 PM
capone12

ORIGINAL: Bombers_410

rustler is crap get this it will serve you much better and you will jump higher!

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXXJ49**&P=0

its called an evader!
Your opinion/posts from now on are considered invalid. They will be skipped but thanks for trying anyway.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:28 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

This is what you need....

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHXM2&P=ML

OR

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=LOSA0095

Better yet, get one of the Kit verisons of one those two trucks.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:45 PM
smitty4
My Feedback: (4)

No Jakjr he is wanting a easy durable truck to begin with. He doesn't need more than he can handle.

I went with the rusty. I bought one used w/ a couple of upgrades already. I wouldn't recommend buying used if you have enough for new. I am wanting to upgrade like crazy so I could see no use buying a new truck and stripping it down. lol.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:56 PM
speed lives

You guys don't need to always recommend your favorite trucks.. The Rustler will be a perfect truck for him!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:58 PM
jakjr

I don;t beleive in starting with the cheap stuff, you will soon decide you want something better.

I know of very few people that buy a cheap car and don't regret getting something better to begin with
Old 10-27-2005, 09:15 PM
speed lives

Rustler is not a cheap car its the most durable electric st on the market. It may not have the features and adjustments of some of the more advanced cars but it is the best basher on the market. A Savage is pretty basic, heavy, a tank, doesn't have alot of adjustments but thats not considered cheap its considered the best bashing truck on the market.

I almost bought myself a Stampede over a MF2. Only reason i went with the MF2 is because i found a good trade for one if i would have found a brushless Stampede with a decent radio i probly would have got that instead. A Rustler/Stampede is a way better truck than the MF2 ever could dream of being, in its own category.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:22 PM
jakjr

To each his own
Old 10-27-2005, 10:09 PM
MBX5T Maniac

i bought the rusty. i reget it alot, and wish i had bought the xxx-t rtr
Old 10-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Viper 15

For what you want the rusty is the best choice. I ve owned both. Personally I like the pede best, but I do off-roading in construction areas and it rocks!
Old 10-27-2005, 10:49 PM
Flatland2D

Just because you buy a Rustler does not mean you're stuck with a cheap truck forever. It's one of the most upgradable trucks out there. You can make it into a formidable racer or stronger basher. I've got over $550 in my Rustler in power and durability upgrades mostly. I use it solely for bashing and it does that very well. There's plenty of other options out there for going the racing route.

So what if they are going to upgrade to something better later. Everyone does! Once someone gets bit by the hobby they will start looking for something bigger and better than what they already have, no matter what they got to start with. I don't think anyone who's been in R/C for a while still has just one vehicle.

Get the Rustler and upgrade it to your heart's content. The driving you'll be doing is perfect for the Rusty. A Stampede would only be the better choice if you were driving almost exclusively off-road and big jumps. That high center of gravity will be a pain in the rear when you actually have traction.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:42 AM
jakjr

Just because you buy a Rustler does not mean you're stuck with a cheap truck forever. It's one of the most upgradable trucks out there. You can make it into a formidable racer or stronger basher. I've got over $550 in my Rustler in power and durability upgrades mostly. I use it solely for bashing and it does that very well. There's plenty of other options out there for going the racing route.
Thank you for proving my point

You put $550 into your rustler and the T3 I paid $50 for used, which is 99% stock, is probobly still more durable and raceable. I too use it solely for bashing, and even being 99% stock it does a bang-up job at it, plus it can hold it's own on a track as is. In all the time I've had it I've only broken one part.

We need to get Skrap in this thread, he'll tell y'all all about how you get gyped going with an RTR.

Either way, go with whatever you like, but if you get a pede or rustler and decide you want to race, sell it and get something differnet or you'll end up throwing away alot of cash, and still wont end up with a good racer. As I said earlier, to each his own
Old 10-28-2005, 03:11 AM
xtremraptor
My Feedback: (24)

rustler and pede not good racer's. i think someone would dissagree.

[link=http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/rustler.html]Ultimate Rustler[/link]

[link=http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/stampede.html]Ultimate pede[/link]

and the pede can be made 4WD if you so desire

although i don't race the electric rustler i had did take a thrashing. but the ground clearance was an issue. so i got rid of that and i am now building a pede.

watch ebay. lots of great deals if your patient (really hard part) and can wait. you could get a charger, batteries, and a nicely set up car for under the price of brand new.

i like to build my trucks so i buy peices. i just got rolling stampede chassis ($46), and 13t futaba ESC ($33), and picked up a stinger motor for now ($10). at the moment (of course truck hasn't got here yet) all i need are batteries and a radio (which i have a couple TQ3 for now). with shipping on everything i have just under $120 invested

just my opinion!![8D]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.