Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

AM Radio Compatibility With Brushless

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 12:14 PM
smitty4
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AM Radio Compatibility With Brushless

I read on here about someone hearing about brushless motors cause AM radio interference. Has anyone had this happen to them?
Old 10-26-2005, 02:53 PM
AtomHeartMother

Default RE: AM Radio Compatibility With Brushless

I'm almost ashamed to admit, but I'm running a 15 year old Futaba Magnum Jr AM radio with my brushless MF2. I get about 400 feet of range before it gets glitchy. I have had no trouble running with other trucks or anything though. So no, I haven't hand any real range problems or glitches with my AM radio.
That being said, if you're looking to get a new radio save your pennies and get an FM. You don't want to buy a new radio in AM. Mine had been mothballed so I had it laying around...works ok. A JR Xs3 is in my future though.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:19 PM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

Ill glady admit that I run my brushless motor with the stock tq3 radio wit my rustler. It works fine with me and is the only stock electronic I have for it. Only problem is that the reciever wire ripped and tore off but thats about it. Didnt see too much of a range difference either because I dont drive that far away form me and I havent had a glitch yet.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:24 PM
SkrapIron

I ran a CC. Mamba 25 on a TQ2, and a Novak XXl 27mhz, for while earlier this spring. As long as the speed control is far enough away from the reciever, the AM radio will work, OK. Mine had issues when I ran near an electrical transformer. The throttle signal would cut out, until it got past the transformer.

Higher frequency AM radios like the Futaba 2PL 75mhz AM , and the JR X2i 75 mhz AM are much better choices for brushless setups. The recievers have additional signal filters to keep glitching to a minimum.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Elmo6s

I wouldn't run AM, not worth the risk... You just invested at least $200 on the brushless, spend another $50-60 (or so on ebay) and get yourself a nice radio!
Old 10-26-2005, 03:50 PM
smitty4

Elmo that is the problem right now I am going to be tight on money trying to go brushless. The stock tq is going to have to do. So its either it will work or I will be waiting for bl. I think it will be okay no one near is going to have an rc and plus my cell phone doesnt even get a signal where I will be driving. lol. So I think I will be okay I was just making sure it wasnt go throw it off. I am putting the bl in a rusty so if it does glitch for some unknown reason it will be alright. lol
Old 10-26-2005, 04:19 PM
RaVen1357

Skrap! Your back! [X(] And you can't accept PMs.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:41 PM
SkrapIron

I didn't get banned, I got UBER BANNED! I think they tried to erase all traces of my existance! I don't know about the PM thing though... My account is very slowly comming back online!
Old 10-26-2005, 04:46 PM
speed lives

Alright thats good to know because i just traded for a MF2 with a ss5800 and a XR2i with only 5 runs on it, the guy said he had no problems glitching but you never know its not like he would have said it did even if it does when hes trying to make a trade. So im hoping like SkrapIron said the 75mhz higher end AM's won't have a problem with glitching.

Also i ran a 2PL with my Savage and never had any glitching problems i ran under power lines for a few tanks on my road but thats about it didn't really use that truck/radio that much.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:29 PM
smitty4

Well I think I am still going to try it with the stock tq radio. I found a really good deal on a rusty. Listen to this aluminum shocks all the way around, bearings all the way around for $85 shipped to my door with a battery and stock motor, stock radio, stock esc. I think I got a really good deal. Now I am going to buy a charger and another battery. I cant wait...
Old 10-26-2005, 07:37 PM
speed lives

Sounds like a good deal to me, what kind of shocks are they?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Flatland2D

Definitely get a GP3300 or better for that Novak. They usually run a little under $40 for a side by side pack with battery bars. Anything cheaper and you'll either fry the battery by putting too much drain on it or you'll never see the max performance of the Novak. Probably both. I get runtimes around 20 minutes or so with my Rustler and Novak SS5800. A little longer if you go easy on the throttle.

I've had the Novak setup in my Rustler for about one year and three months now and still use the stock TQ radio. It does glitch when it gets far away, but Novaks have always (at least in the past) seemed to be a little glitchy anyway. Has never really bothered me because I drive in front of where I'm standing and not a few hundred feet away. I say stick with the TQ and only spend the money on a new radio after you've upgraded your Rustler to where you're happy with it.

Enjoy you're Rustler. Sounds like a better deal than what you were looking at before. I wish I had aluminum shocks.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SkrapIron
I didn't get banned, I got UBER BANNED! I think they tried to erase all traces of my existance! I don't know about the PM thing though... My account is very slowly comming back online!
If that was true, your post wouldn't be around... I'm also currently running a brushless RC18T with a Futaba T3PK using an AM Conversion Module. Quite frankly, I wouldn't really think the receiver or transceiver (Nomadio) would have as much to do with it as long as a brushless speed control is used with a brushless motor. Anyone tried the combination brushed/brushless speed controls? I'm thinking about getting one to go with a 540 type brushless motor.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:48 PM
smitty4

I havent used one with it hence asking the question about brushless but I did read an article in one of my magazines and it said using it with a brushed motor worked okay but you could tell it was not set-up to run brushed. They said it would work if you are just bashing etc. but then again it is a stupid magazine and they want you to have 5 of everything... lol.

Yeah I know about the battery problem. I am thinking of seeing if elmo will hook me up or I might just try the gp's from radioshack. I have heard the ones from rs are good for bashing. So I might pick one up to start out with and see.

I dont know about the shocks I am actually trying to figure that out. They are bright blue like a sky blue really shiny... lol. I didn't really ask a lot of questions. I just asked for pictures and how much he wanted and then I talked him down $25, and that was it. lol He is trying to get rid of all his rc's so I knew what I was doing. I made it seem like I had a better deal until he gave me the best price.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:33 PM
Flatland2D

Those Radio Shack GP's might work alright. The major weak point is the cheap strip of tin at the bottom connecting the two columns together. You could always rebuild it in SxS configuration if you needed to.

Forgot to mention Deans plugs. Definitely get some, they are not that expensive and are so much better than the Tamiya style. Even when running the Stinger motor with MSC my connectors got so hot I could barely unplug them. They are pretty much mandatory on something that'll draw as much current as a brushless. Don't forget an extra male plug to convert your charger over, too. Speaking of which, have you decided on one yet?
Old 10-27-2005, 06:50 AM
smitty4

Yeah the pirahna digital peak charger it is like $50 at tower hobbies. I am liking it and have heard some good stuff about it. I am going to wait to order it though to make sure I don't need any parts for my rusty when it gets here.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:25 AM
SkrapIron

ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie

[
If that was true, your post wouldn't be around...
No Tiger,

For a month I was getting a blank screen with a 1000 in the upper left corner. My account was unbanned yesterday.
When I did get my account unlocked, I had no Avatar, No PM's, No signature. RCAdmin took care of me, though ( Thanks RCAdmin).

Anyway, back on topic.

You don't have to have an FM radio to run a brushless motor. A Traxxas TQ will run it all right, but it's going to be limited. If you get farther than 100 yeards or so, the signal will weaken to the point that RF from the motor will begin to interfere with the reciever.

As for batteries: they are the life's blood of your truck. if you're going to spend $240.00 for a brushless motor and ESC, why on earth would you feed it cheap batteries. it's like buying a Porsche, and gassing up with 85 octane fuel. You're not going to get the performance out of the car, that you otherwise would with the better fuel.

Any GP3300 or GP3700 pack will do fine for brushless applications. Even the Radio Shcak stuff. i'm not a fan of the shotgun tube configration, nor the Tamyia plugs, but it's still better than no-name cells for $19.99!
Old 10-27-2005, 04:28 PM
smitty4

Yeah I know they wont be the best but they will work for now. Do yal know anything about buying novaks refurbished stuff? They give a 120 day warranty. I am thinking about it. It will save me about $60. Either I am going to get refurbished or I won't be able to afford it right now and I don't want to buy used because I am already buying a used chassis and radio. That is enough lol. Hopefully it will go smooth. He is sending saturday. So I should get it next week sometime. I need to buy a charger any recommendations? I am looking at the Digital Pirahna Peak Charger 49.99 from tower hobbies. It will charge up to 8 cells. So it will do fine with my 6 cell.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:59 PM
thundergoat

I use Aggressor AM with ss4300 and no problem. However, I think even tho most people does not have a problem it could still happen to you, so just aware of that, my 2 cents

oh, welcome back Skrap, and Munkey too...I don't post very much but I read all the post here and I love you 2 threads...I've been follow the saga with speed and just though that you left the same day munkey left...anyway, stay man [8D]
Old 10-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Doahh

[off topic] Skrap I totally agree with your signature and it's kinda scary really... [/off topic]

My ss5800 runs GREAT without gliching at my track (at my house on the other hand theres alot of things operating on the 75 mhz am range so I'm gettting an M11 soon)
I'm using a t2ph too
Old 10-29-2005, 02:34 PM
smitty4

Well where I will be at wont have anybody. So I should be fine until I have some more cash