Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What engine to make my sons Stampede faster??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 03:41 PM
sasquatch1976

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engine to make my sons Stampede faster??

After doing some research, and only got even more confused I thought I would just simply ask you guys about this. You usually provide som good information (or laugh at me erhm)[&o]

Well here goes:

I bought the Traxxas electric stampede for my son. He is now 8 years old and will turn 9 in april. This is right around spring time in Denmark where we live and the RC season starts about there too, and I thought I would buy a new motor for his Stampede.

Now the Stampede has a Traxxas stock 20 turn motor in it which is no good anymore. I would prefer to keep in the lower priced motors for now as he is still learning, but find the speed of the Traxxas motor slow.... I know it is now slower than when it was new, but he needs more speed. Not anything insane.

Now I have no idea of what to buy, and I usually drive FG large scale EVO 4 touringcars and 1:10 nitro touring. My only electrics are Lehner brushless equipped Mini-T for the fun of the insane 50 mph+ speed it is capable of.

BUT. What to buy for the stampede??? It is equipped with the stock Traxxas ESC XL-1 and this should be able to handle lower turns than 20 and 7 cells. I have quite a large collection of 6 cell now and that is fine.

When I browse through the different manufactures products I see many different specs regarding torque and rpms but nothing consistant for being able to pinpoint anything...

So please give your best advice. I don't mind the "serviceless" low-cost and know I do NOT get the best motor, but then again I'm not going to buy a 10T modified either that needs massive ammounts of maintanence.

Should I go for some mild modified and just buy new brushes now and then. I do not have access to a lathe. Or does some manufacturer make a little "gem" unnoticed by me in the closed can line of motors.

Kind regards from Denmark
Old 11-06-2005, 03:56 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: What engine to make my sons Stampede faster??

I think any of the budget 19-21 turn motors will be what you want. They will not last as long as the closed end bell, but can have the brushes replaced like you suggest. It is possible to get them for around 20 dollars in usa. This will make the truck fasster and not have to changed gears or esc.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:14 PM
SkrapIron

Hi Sasquatch.

The Stampede is a truck in a class by itself. The Stock XL-1 speed control will handle down to a 17t motor. You can use that to your advantage.

The Reedy Quad Magnet 19t motor is perhaps one of the finest spec modified motors on the market. That, combined with wheel bearings are the 2 best things you can possibly do for the Stampede.

The Stampede is pretty slow, stock ( around 15mph ). With the Reedy QM 19t, or even the Trinity Chameleon 2 19t, you will easilly see perofrmance of 26mph, or better ! The 19t spec modified motors will run well for around 20 run service intervals ( after 20 battery packs, you'll need to change the brushes and true the comm)

Ball bearings in the axles are the next best thing for your son's stampede. A set will cost around $20.00, and new bearing carriers will also cost another $40.00. It's a worthwhile upgrade, for the Stampede.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:36 PM
speed lives
My Feedback: (1)

Ball bearings in the axles are the next best thing for your son's stampede. A set will cost around $20.00, and new bearing carriers will also cost another $40.00. It's a worthwhile upgrade, for the Stampede.
Actually bearing carriers will cost 18$ and bearings will cost 15$.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:27 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I sold my stampede and regret it, I remember haveing bearings in it and were maybe $1 each. Modified the chassis for 8 cell batt and used a stock 20 turn motor. I loved that ruck. Time to get another.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:02 PM
SkrapIron

Oops, I did post $40.00 for the carriers... My Bad!

Bearings: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJG51&P=7

Front Bearing Carriers: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNY89&P=ML

Rear Bearing Carriers: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNY90&P=ML

All told, it's about $40 total, including the bearings.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:53 PM
djr01974

another good motor is team orion method R 19t .. Great motor , you can even use the method R 17t .. with the stock esc . The motors are less the 20 bucks from tower hobbies .
Old 11-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Flatland2D

Or you can get the bearing carriers WITH bearings for $11 for the front and $11 for the rear at RC Boyz. Tower isn't the only place to shop, you know.

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Stampede-Rustler-Front-Bearing-Carrier-Update-w-Bearing_W0QQitemZ6011563055QQcategoryZ44028QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]Link[/link] to their eBay auction, but they also have a website.

There. Do you believe me now!
Old 11-11-2005, 10:27 AM
sasquatch1976

Thank you guys, and I'm sorry for the late reply. My portable PC just "gave up" a few days ago, but DELL is giving me a new and better (Weeh, thank you god for Complete Care)

I actually thought that the Stampede allready HAD bearings, but I guess not. That together with the carriers will be ordered now. As for motor, I will write down your suggestions and put them in a bag and draw one. Seems fair :-)

One last additional question though. You all refer to the 17 turn lower limit of the ESC in the Stampede, but is turns everything ?? I think of current and how many AMPs the ESC is going to handle also, or it this two things that goes hand in hand? I usually buy brushless ESC's that is capable of handling approx. 100% the current draw I need..... and turns + AMP draw is not always linear in the BL world.

So would the Traxxas ESC handle ANY brand and any level of modified 17Turn motor ??
Old 11-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Freaker

I second the Reedy Quad Mag 19T for a fairly cheap upgrade. Nice torque and good speed. Running 16/87 with M2Ks and 6 cell GP3300, I get wheelies from a dead stop or a slow roll. Just watch the temp running it with the XL-1. Running hard for 10 minutes straight on loose traction I got my XL-1 so hot it desoldered and fell apart. Put in a cheap LRP super Reverse and it just barely gets warm.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:50 PM
mouser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EDIT: Nevermind.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:54 PM
RaVen1357

One last additional question though. You all refer to the 17 turn lower limit of the ESC in the Stampede, but is turns everything ?? I think of current and how many AMPs the ESC is going to handle also, or it this two things that goes hand in hand? I usually buy brushless ESC's that is capable of handling approx. 100% the current draw I need..... and turns + AMP draw is not always linear in the BL world.

So would the Traxxas ESC handle ANY brand and any level of modified 17Turn motor ??
With brushed motors, the number of turns pretty much determines current draw. So all motors of the same turn rating will have similar amp draws under identical conditions.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Evader 53

I'd definately go with the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFBH5&P=ML]Reedy Quad Mag[/link]

Great motor..
Old 11-12-2005, 08:38 AM
sasquatch1976

I just stumbled over this on Tower

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGKC7&P=ML

This is so cheap so I just had to ask inhere if there is a good reason for this. Is it crap. I have no knowledge of the B4 for which it is a RTR motor, but I can get almost 3 of them for the price on one QM 19T.

I would rather pay tripple the price if the QM 19T or similar it is that much better.....
Old 11-12-2005, 10:59 AM
zaphod42
My Feedback: (3)

The Reedy QM is a far superior motor - this is the standard motor that comes in Associated's RTR vehicles and is NOT rebuildable. It won't last like the Reedy and won't have anywhere near the performance. As far as lower turn motors go lower turns usually equate to more RPMs (if the motor is a good quality) but the higher current draw also means shorter runtimes and more heat. I'd still go with a 19 turn - the competition in the 19 turn market has made everyone build better motors cheaper.
You should also check out SkrapIron's 'understanding gear selection' post and make sure your son's truck is geared right - it will make a huge difference in performance for just a little money (if it isn't geared right now, that is).
Old 11-12-2005, 11:47 AM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

The reedy quad mag and the pede are made to go with each other. Scratch that, the reedy quad mag is the #1 reccomended hop-up motor for the pede/rusty that Ive seen on these forums. After this comes the speed gem motors. I would get the reedy because Ive never heard a bad thing about it. Everything that Ive heard about it was amazing. I never tried it (went straight to brushless after wasting money on a fireball17t motor) so I never really had a chance. Now that I just ordered a t-spec I might have to pick one of these motors up. That motor is sure to get any car going much better than any rtr motor.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:18 PM
ReedyMan

I just got a stock Electric Stampede RTR yesterday, and I won a Reedy Spec 19T Quad Mag motor out of R/C Car magazine. I want to put that motor in my Stampede, but I'm not sure what I should change along with it, should I change gears or what? I also want to put in a JR Radio High-Torque Servo (144 oz/in)! I know it sounds crazy, but will it just destroy the front end on my stampede?
How do you paint a new body? I rolled mine today and it is scratched ( not nearly as bad as it looked, I was surprised!!!!)
Lastly, I would like some links for great parts for my electric stampede.

I like my new stampede very much. I just got it yesterday, which I said above, and the first time I jumped it it went about 6 inches in the air and had all 4 wheels up! It landed on all four wheels like a dream, but today I jumped it wrong and it went cart-wheeling end over end across our yard and went on without so much as a scratch!
Old 11-13-2005, 04:37 AM
sasquatch1976

zaphod42 + others: Reedy duad mag 19 turn it is then together with RPM uorights + some 5 x 11 bearings (will get bearings from Germany. Much closer, and MUCH cheaper 24 pcs @ €20 sealed)

Will watch the temps on the XL-1 ESC and if hot then get some LRP reversible as suggested inhere also. I have looked at them and they are very reasonable priced.

Q: What usually comes first. replacing the brushes or having the comm refreshed (Some local club electric driver MUST have a lathe) ??
Old 11-13-2005, 12:36 PM
**MilkMachine**

I would seggest the trinity 19T motor. It is fast and the brushes last about 20 batterys! (At least in my book)
Old 11-13-2005, 07:48 PM
zaphod42

I would turn the comm first if you can find someone to do it - my brushes usually last at least 3 - 4 comm cuts. (When the comm is smoother the brushes wear MUCH slower - remember to break them in every time you cut the comm.)
Old 11-15-2005, 03:33 AM
purple_car

Zaphod, could you explain for some of us newbies how to break the engine in after cutting the comm? Also, if I can't access a lathe to have the comm cut, can I safely continue to use the motor (with the tradeoff of less performance) or will I be shortening the life of the brushes and the motor in general?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2005, 08:14 PM
zaphod42

The best way to break a motor in is to attach a fan blade (you can find them for this purpose at almost any lhs) so there is some load and then feed about 3 volts into it for about 4 - 5 minutes. (The fan also moves air through the motor to keep it cool.) If you don't have a variable DC supply for this (or the new Duratrax Ice charger has a programmable voltage out) then use three battery cells instead as a source. You will have to clamp the motor to something to keep it from walking away, of course. (I made my own break in fixture from a hunk of PVC pipe.)

It will definitely shorten the life of your commutator and your brushes if you don't cut the comm. As you run the motor the comm will not wear evenly so it will get out of round causing both the comm and the brushes to wear faster. The more out of round the comm gets the faster everything wears. Also, once the comm is out of round it is really hard to get new brushes to seat properly.

If you are only bashing and you don't put a lot of hours on you can probably replace the motor (or just buy a new comm and brushes for it) once or twice a year cheaper than buying a comm lathe if you can't find someone who has a lathe to cut the comm for you. If you put on a lot of hours or if you race and need top performance from your motor I'd advise investing in a comm lathe and a break in fan and fixture. You can get a good quality new lathe for around $100 - 120 dollars or a used one starting around $60 on e-bay or from the Buy-Sell section of this website. (I have had better luck here than on e-bay though I would suggest using the escrow service since it is available.) If you get a used one be prepared to buy a new cutting bit - there is a chance the one with the lathe may be damaged. A carbide bit will serve fine as long as you don't abuse it - the diamond ones are great but unless you use it every week it just isn't worth the investment.

As long as you don't run the motor once it starts arcing noticeably you won't damage anything else but once you start seeing the 'ol "miniature lightning" coming from the motor it is time for a comm cut and new brushes or a different motor or you are risking the ESC. Xtreme RC Cars magazine had a good article on cutting comms in their October '05 issue - it may be available on their website (www.RC411.com).

(I hope I didn't offend the webmaster - I don't know if this site is associated with a magazine or not and I certainly don't want to dis someone who is providing support for this website - this is the only mag I can find on the shelves around here and the article was helpful.)
Old 11-16-2005, 03:01 AM
purple_car

Hey thanks Zaphod that's super informative. I live in Korea right now and although there are plentiful hobby shops, I speak minimal Korean so I can't just ask the lhs [8D]
Old 11-16-2005, 03:45 AM
shredder111

Get him a 19t Chameleon Pro. Good price, good brand, pretty fast, affordable.

Shredder111[>:]
Old 11-16-2005, 11:27 AM
happywing

Get this and forget about all the comm turning, brush changing, cleaning and so forth.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGDP6&P=ML

For 169.99, brushless is the way to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.