Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Traxxas Spirit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 01:11 PM
smitty4
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Spirit?

I am looking for a really cheap touring car. I really am not looking for high preformace or anything just something to drive around and maybe upgrade to brushless later. Any opinions on this car? Thanks
Old 11-13-2005, 01:14 PM
smitty4

Default RE: Traxxas Spirit?

Sorry for double post but I would either buy a esc with it or either wait until christmas and put a brushless in it. I will not keep the msc forever.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:19 PM
**MilkMachine**

DO NOT GET THE SPIRIT!! It is like tyco. Its like a solid hunk of plastic with accesable electronics. And It will not take a brushless system. (Ive tried it wasnt fun) I would suggest a TC3 (cheap) or a Traxxas 4-tec.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:31 PM
mouser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, stay away from the Spirit. If you want a cheap 4wd car, go with the Tamiya TT-01.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Viper 15

I got a TC3 off ebay for 50$ ARTR. All it needed was a body, bearing cover and spur gear.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:25 PM
smitty4

I really do not like buying stuff like this used...
Old 11-13-2005, 03:28 PM
**MilkMachine**

well, buying the spirit is like getting ripped off on ebay. It is such a waste of money, you are better off getting a used car off of ebay AND have it be messed up then buying the spirit new. It is ****. dont get it.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Praetor

Agreed. the spirit looks alot like my radioshack car, the undercarrage battery holder and the chassis design overall are similar. definitely get the 4-tec or the tc-4. id go for the tc-4 but you want a cheap one so this is a good choice:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXJE04**&P=ML

its the one with the MSC. since your going brushless anyway, this is the best way to save money.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:37 PM
**MilkMachine**

If you were to put a brushless system in a Spirit, It will crack. It will split the cheap plastic upon any kind of actual pressure on its parts. And it has next to no upgrade parts at all. Any car that has no aluminum upgrades is no car to put a brushless in. Period.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:40 PM
smitty4

I think I am just going to get a rustler, it was my first choice and I think I would like it more, because I really am just wanting something to last unlike all of my other cars I have had like the emaxx...
Old 11-13-2005, 06:24 PM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

I have to suggest the trinity t-spec here if you are on a budget. Such good features with a good price point. Full bearings, oil shocks, an a bunch of other goodies. I pre-ordered mine so that I can get one asap. The only bad thing that I've heard about it was about the diffs. It doesnt seem like its that big of a deal so it looks good to me. Theres always the tc4 though thats a great choice for brushless and the losi tc. Only bad thing about the t-spec is that there arent any hopups allowed if you race it in a spec class so if your just gonna bash then its gonna be fine.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:25 PM
capone12

ORIGINAL: smitty4

I think I am just going to get a rustler, it was my first choice and I think I would like it more, because I really am just wanting something to last unlike all of my other cars I have had like the emaxx...
Good choice for durability. *hopes skrapp doesnt see this thread* but if you wanna drop in a brushless *gulps* then get a t4 because its gonna handle the power better. Did I just say that?!
Old 11-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Praetor

ORIGINAL: smitty4

emaxx didnt last for you? 2 words: aluminum helps

the rustler will last along time. i just got one and it hasnt broken a single part yet oh wait except 1 front shock. theyre POS's. get the traxxas aluminum ones: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJG71&P=7
Old 11-21-2005, 04:18 PM
SourMilk

OH i wanted to put a brushless in my rustler[sm=tired.gif]
Old 11-21-2005, 04:19 PM
SourMilk

opps sorry
Old 11-21-2005, 04:30 PM
capone12

ORIGINAL: tommy the terror

OH i wanted to put a brushless in my rustler[sm=tired.gif]
I said that the t4 is going to handle it better (or a xxx-t) but I still use a brushless in my rusty. Im not going to go buy another truck just because Im going to get a few extra mph out of it and then lose the durability I'm acustomed to (lol). Its still possible to put a brushless in a rusty and I highly reccomend it so if you ever decide to upgrade your truck then just take it out of the rusty and put it in the better truck and then keep the rusty for bashing. I alway baby my rusty too much so I know if I got a t4 or something it would probably just sit on the shelf because I wouldnt want it to get too dirty. It sfunny because I hate clearning my truck but I hate to see it dirt too!

In response to the orignal post though, Ive herad that the TT-01 is a good bashing tc thats not going to be a racer. Im going ot be dropping a brushless in my t-spec but I heard about the diffs warping so Im hoping that doesnt happen but basically if you want something really good go with a tc4. Gobs of hop-ups for the thing but I have heard mixed things about the RTR versions of it. Good luck with whichever one you choose. Just dont get that spirit, its seriously a bad joke played by traxxas suckering people into buying a radioshack car that you can change electronics on.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:53 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The traxxas spirit is nothing more than the old traxxas cat with street tires and a truck body. The car was designed in the early 80s and will not support modern performance without breaking.

Decide where you will be running it to determine whether a touring car, stadium truck, or buggy. A good choice in each category would be an associated TC4, losi XXX-T, or kyosho lazer-ZX.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:16 AM
SourMilk

the spirt is just as bad as a tyco or a nikio[:@]
Old 11-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Praetor

hey wait - what about the hpi dash? its roughly the same price.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...sh&FVPROFIL=++
i dont know anything about it, but it certainly looks better than the spirit.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:19 AM
RaVen1357

The HPI Dash really appears to be equivalant to the spirit, just with a cooler body.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:14 AM
Praetor

looks similiar...
http://www.rc-car-hobby.com/images/hpichassisfront.jpg