Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

NITRO Vs. ELECTRIC

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 09:23 AM
raz54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NITRO Vs. ELECTRIC

ORIGINAL: sleepy23

like i have said before, if you want to compare JUST power and speed, you drag so that driver skill plays very little in it.

Actually reaction time from the driver is half of a drag race. I have won lots of drag races by hole shot alone. A true test of power and speed would be a single run timed drag race where you race the clock, not each other and a decent electric will blow the doors off a nitro every time.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:48 AM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: raz54

like i have said before, if you want to compare JUST power and speed, you drag so that driver skill plays very little in it.
yup exactly, clay millican top fuel drag racer, 5 time champion says that all the time

Actually reaction time from the driver is half of a drag race. I have won lots of drag races by hole shot alone. A true test of power and speed would be a single run timed drag race where you race the clock, not each other and a decent electric will blow the doors off a nitro every time.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:49 AM
cheech4

yup exactly, clay millican top fuel drag racer, 5 time champion says that all the time.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Infinite Gundam
Taking the fuel consumption rate at WOT as 100%, roughly what is the consumption rate while standing idle? I am a total newb at nitro stuffs but I am curious.
Most people I know "don't" tune their nitros for idling, so they really don't idle well. Although it depends on the engine, the driver, and the track, etc., a 10 minute heat in 1/8th scale buggy will require one pit stop. Basically, the reason that the heats are ran that long is to force the driver to pit at least one time. Around here, someone with more torque (instead of just high top end) will usually have the advantage--an electric on the same track may also have an advantage for that same "torque" reason when it comes to lap times and consistency. That is probably one reason the new Novarossi engine is trying to obtain or push that it has good bottom end as well as top end.

ORIGINAL: associated_racer
well with either my rc10gt or my losi xxx-nt i have them both race tuned (running a little rich for moe power) i figure i can idle for about an hour
I have yet to meet anyone who intentionally tunes "rich" for more power since a "rich" setting usually bogs the engine down. Running "rich" is usually for breaking-in engines, not racing. The last I knew the idea was to obtain the optimum setting which is basically more toward a lean setting, but not so lean that the temps are too high for the engine, detonation occurs, or that smoke is coming from the engine (not exhaust).
Old 05-05-2006, 11:05 AM
TheTick

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Nitro is awesome in many ways. I can definatley see why people prefer it for racing. But if I still raced, I would rather go for faster lap times. There's no right or wrong..it's all a matter of preference.

thetick: i dont run on tall grass i actually run on a tracks and nothing but tracks
im all about racing and i think nitro is better for racing
Old 05-05-2006, 11:15 AM
sleepy23
My Feedback: (1)

yes, its all preference. i personally like to push buttons cuz this is the ELECTRIC forum.
with drag racing, you have reaction time, but other than that, any moron can drive straight. and quite honestly, real like drag racing has no place here, so who cares about the top fule champion, we are talking rc's....you pull the trigger and dont turn....not too hard.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:21 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks all for the input on electric run time on grass as there is not any tracks around here so either you bash or you just give the hobby up. You electric guys here have pretty much said what all the other electric guys said about bashing on grass and real rough terrain. I was thinking about getting a 1/10 electric buggy to run in my yard but after what I have been told about run time and the fact I did get a Mini Inferno with 1200 mha 8 cell pack and X speed only got 8 minutes I think I will stick with nitro other then my Mini-Z F1 on my RCP inside. Fact electric is faster and if you bash on grass and real rough terrain nitro is best. I think both have their place and the reason they make both is so people can pick what they prefer or best suits them, as there is a place for both.
Thanks again all for the input!
Old 05-05-2006, 11:46 AM
raz54

with drag racing, you have reaction time, but other than that, any moron can drive straight.

It's clear from this post you know nothing about bracket racing and if you don't know anything about a topic you shouldn't open your mouth, it makes you look like a moron. There is a lot more to winning a drag race than driving in a straight line but maybe only us morons are smart enough to know that. You said talking about real drag racing doesn't belong here and that maybe true but neither does rude comments about other sports and hobbies. Some of us have other hobbies besides R/C's you know and take offense to stupid remarks about them. This thread is about nitro vs electric and I would appreciate you keep your thoughts about drag racing to yourself.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Access

I can only speak for one side but I can say with electrics, what is possible changes every few years. I don't see the same kind of yearly 'evolution' happening with non-electrics (maybe it does, correct me if I'm wrong). If I told someone 3 years ago that I could get a mini-T past 60mph or 35+ minute runtime on a 1/10th scale truck using a 9.5 turn motor most people would have just laughed at me and said 'yeah sure'. Even on the track, I can now run a TC4 with a 5.5-turn with very little maintainance on the side. Whereas you used to have to replace brushes, cut comm, etc. every few runs.

Some people enjoy this 'bleeding edge' or 'leading edge' environment where the technology has evolved greatly over the past few years, others may want a more static scene, I'm not saying one is better, just that's how it seems to me. Personally I am all electric but I still love that nitro sound and the smoke, etc.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:46 PM
associated_racer

ok well yes a nitro engine will bog down but thats only at low rpm i mostly run of tracks that are more open with a lot of straights, so im always in high rpm and the thing between bl systems and nitro its all about gearing

and to break in a nitro engine you run them lean so that they get used to the extreme conditions

running rich = more fuel in cylinder cuasing bigger explosion + more power
Old 05-05-2006, 03:16 PM
sleepy23

ORIGINAL: raz54

with drag racing, you have reaction time, but other than that, any moron can drive straight.
It's clear from this post you know nothing about bracket racing and if you don't know anything about a topic you shouldn't open your mouth, it makes you look like a moron. There is a lot more to winning a drag race than driving in a straight line but maybe only us morons are smart enough to know that. You said talking about real drag racing doesn't belong here and that maybe true but neither does rude comments about other sports and hobbies. Some of us have other hobbies besides R/C's you know and take offense to stupid remarks about them. This thread is about nitro vs electric and I would appreciate you keep your thoughts about drag racing to yourself.
what part of RC did you miss "buddy"? Did i mention brakcet racing? did i mention full size racing? i was talking directly about rc drag racing to see who has the fastest car. so go get your pms pill and take it down a notch.
quite honestly, this a public forum for public speech. i was on topic, but if you want to go off topic...i dont live for rc, i have plenty of other things to do, but i also dont consider drag racing to be real racing...you dont turn, you dont brake for corners, you dont drive for any lenght of time. you get in the car, you shoot for a killer reaction time, AND YOU DRIVE STRAIGHT. tell me what else is involved?..actually dont, because this is an rc forum and i dont really care, i just wanted to piss you off.

Old 05-05-2006, 03:20 PM
associated_racer

sleepy23: i agree that drag racing isnt true racing im probly not nto the same kind of racing as you but i like to race quads
Old 05-05-2006, 03:20 PM
cheech4

yes, its all preference. i personally like to push buttons cuz this is the ELECTRIC forum.
with drag racing, you have reaction time, but other than that, any moron can drive straight. and quite honestly, real like drag racing has no place here, so who cares about the top fule champion, we are talking rc's....you pull the trigger and dont turn....not too hard.
\

any moron can drive straight, ever try to keep a car in control going striaght at 300 miles per hour... that is one of the most dificult things to do why.... cuz ur back tires want to do one thing, your front end wants to go up... the G's in the cockpit can make a rats head explode... SO the answer is no not everyone can drive straight ... same goes for R/C have a big engine try to keep to keep all 4's on the ground and keep it straight, there are times ur car wants to do other things besides going straight.... so again the answer is no not everyone can drive an R/C straight, choose your words better.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:31 PM
sleepy23

WHAT PART OF 'HEY I AM TALKING ABOUT RC" ARE YOU GUYS NOT ABLE TO UNDERSTAND????????

Now how bout we get back to bashing nitro like the purpose of this thread.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:34 PM
associated_racer

dont get upset everyone knows nitro's will always bet elec. we have NITROUS
Old 05-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Access

I think it's best if people only comment on things they've done or experienced, rather than pass judgement on things they've never done or even seen. It's racing if the people who do it call it racing, otherwise you can spend all day arguing semantics and get nowhere.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:53 PM
sleepy23

what does that nitrous system gain you, like 2-4 mph max...haha
Old 05-05-2006, 04:01 PM
associated_racer

most non-nitrous motors are only running about 1.5 hp so if you double the hp we will hall ass
Old 05-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Doahh

dont get upset everyone knows nitro's will always bet elec. we have NITROUS
Nos is a fake in nitro 2 stroke engines... It wears out the engine prematurely
Old 05-05-2006, 05:05 PM
associated_racer

so does nitrous in real cars so how is it fake any engine that burns that hot wears out prematurely most drag racers rebuilt their nitrous running engines after every race and for me rebuilding my rc car engine is nothing considering i rebuild it ever four races anyways
Old 05-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Doahh

Ahem... in RC cars... Nitrous in a real car (6 cylinder) does actually work as it runs at a higher temp and it's not a nitro engine
Old 05-05-2006, 07:29 PM
raz54

what part of RC did you miss "buddy"? Did i mention brakcet racing? did i mention full size racing? i was talking directly about rc drag racing to see who has the fastest car. so go get your pms pill and take it down a notch.
quite honestly, this a public forum for public speech. i was on topic, but if you want to go off topic...i dont live for rc, i have plenty of other things to do, but i also dont consider drag racing to be real racing...you dont turn, you dont brake for corners, you dont drive for any lenght of time. you get in the car, you shoot for a killer reaction time, AND YOU DRIVE STRAIGHT. tell me what else is involved?..actually dont, because this is an rc forum and i dont really care, i just wanted to piss you off.

Very mature Dopey, Oh sorry, wrong dwarf.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:08 PM
sleepy23

what can i say....now that we've each had our shot...back to the topic of how electric is better than nitro....
and why do the mods let these threads keep going? i see these damn things about once every 3 months and they are always the same...
Old 05-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Doahh

Ok everyone knows Electric>Nitro... End of story we all have our opinions and that's the end of it