Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Unofficial Hot Bodies E-Zilla Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 08:18 PM
AznBash3r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unofficial Hot Bodies E-Zilla Thread

ive seen too many threads about the e-zilla, (including my threads ) so im just gonna start a big thread just for the zilla.....questions and stuff should go here so that the people who want to buy one can see the Q's here.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:15 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Unofficial Hot Bodies E-Zilla Thread

I can start to see if anyone has tested the max voltage on the esc? thanks.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:57 PM
AznBash3r

some people have ran 2 7 cell pack with some mild heat from the esc. i think they were using stock motors. if you run 7 cells, i recommend getting a fan to cool the esc.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:17 PM
shoebag_ape

hi i jus joined, but i have been running some onroads for a couple of years. i am looking to start up an electric monster truck, an i was wondering, what do u recomend. i wasnt sure between the e zilla or an e maxx, or is there anything else? what is good and bad about each? thanks

tamiya TL-01, HPI Pro 4
Old 12-22-2005, 04:42 PM
AznBash3r

ok, here comes the arguement!!!!

well, imo, i think the e-zilla is a really good truck. i havent run mine yet since its under the x-mas tree and cant open till x-mas. i don't have an e-maxx and i dont wanna say sh*t about it. though from people WITH e-maxxes, they say that the truck is a bit on the fragile side. the e-zilla has been proven tough, and goes faster than a stock e-maxx with good battery packs. if kostaktion (sp?) mt stops by on this thread, he can give you good advice...he has one and he has been running it for a while. Heres pros and cons comparison on the truck:

E-Zilla +
1. really tough, very duable.
2. speed is not bad with stock packs, but FLIES with some good GPs or IB packs.
3. the ESC that comes with it is very good, e-maxx users have some problems with their emaxx esc.
4. handles really well.
5. The body looks nice (imo, i might be on the crazy side lol)
6. you can beat the truck out of its wits and will still ask for more.
7. Some people have interchanged parts from the savage to the e-zilla. the shocks may fit, and the wheels will fit. lol

E-Zilla -
1. the C-Hubs tend to break more often than other parts.
2. the stock battery packs are junk, toss em and buy some GP packs.
3. tends to roll over at sharp turns...can be fixed by the shock adjusting and mayb 40 series rims.
4. HARD to find replacement parts or hop-ups. horizon hobby has the C-Hub set, which if im not mistaken comes with 2 c-hubs (correct me if im wrong)
5. Not a good racer...dont bring it to the tracks and expect a win with this truck lol.

to wrap it up..i think its a good truck. you can ask other members for help...they can give you some good pointers. they helpped me alot.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:39 PM
blaylock

I just purchased this truck about 2 weeks ago, let me give you some background on what else i own and driven first of all i work at a local hobby store so i have gotten to play with a few different vehicles such as t-maxx,e-maxx,savage, truckzilla conversion, clodbusters. I in no way claim to be an expert like some but here is my unbiased opinion of the truck
The radio system it comes with reminds me of my many past futaba magnum jrs.It doesn't have that toy like feel when i hold it in my hand like the t&e maxx rtr controllers do, not
saying there is anything wrong with them they work absolutely fine but i do like the hot bodies controller better than any other rtr controller i have received with a truck. It has steering and throttle trim and also a dual rate steering adjustment all in all a good entry level radio.Wheels and tires now the e-zilla rims are very nice chrome finished 5 star wheels they very closely resemble several real off road truck rims.The tires are an all purpose tire, that works good on everything but work great on nothing so an ok tire,The wheel hexes are standard t maxx size so you can put any rim and tire combo you wish to on it.The body that it comes with is a very nicley detailed lex-an beetle body and i hate it i think that it is the ugliest thing i have ever seen but they include with the kit extra body post of different heights to let you put any body you choose on it and bodies such as the hpi bronco & the jeep Rubicon fit the truck absolutely fantastically the wheelbases match up perfectly, they fit this truck better than the truck they was designed for. Now the chassis and suspension design are very nice just imagine a slightly smaller and electric savage but massively easier and faster to work on in fact you can have the transmission and motor Assembly out in under three and a half minutes the design is very tough and well thought out. Opposed to what some other people say the suspension is well set up for racing right out of the box compared to an e or t maxx those trucks tipped right over on high speed turns badly with the stock suspension setup the batteries are held in a v shape close to the center of the chassis for better center of gravity I believe if you were to put some hot motors and great batteries in this truck and go to your local track as long as you have some driving skill this truck could be a formidable fo for the e-maxx. I know i am going to get replies from the e-maxx racers saying theres no way that this truck could hang with an e maxx on the track,out of the box this 350 dollar truck couldn't hang with the $1000 emaxx race truck but if you were to put the same time and effort into this truck as you would have to putting together a e-maxx for racing. I believe that this truck could could beat an equally equipped e-maxx around any standard size race track. It would certainly withstand more wall scrubs and missed turns and not so smooth landings than an e-maxx. The stock 2000mah batteries it comes with are pretty crappy, after installing 2 peak racing power max 2400 packs using the stock charger to charge them the acceleration was 3 times as good hard to keep the front tires on the ground and top speed was increased by at least 30 percent with the new packs you could stand to go up at tooth or two on the pinion to help keep the tires on the ground and increase top speed. A great first upgrade is some better packs, The gt speed controller it come swith is a absolutely fantastic performer with a large heatsink it stays cool and works very well. All i all i like the truck i am not particularly fond of hot bodies the company but even a blind squirrel find a nut every once in a while. The only downside to purchasing this truck is the lack of A.M. support but on the other hand savage shocks fit it, all truck bodies fit it and there are tons of tire and wheels that will fit it.And the you can run whatever batteries motors and servos you wish so I like the truck throw the body and the stock batteries in the garbage and get some good stuff and it will be a great truck i like it but i have pretty much liked all my trucks the e-maxxs the clods the savage and my x-factor.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:56 PM
AznBash3r

i just got this baby running! its sad how it only comes with a DC only charger, so i can only charge 1 battery pack at a time with my AC charger. but when i strapped the generic GP3000mAh battery packs, this thing took off......it has massive torque and good top speed. i was riding on top of some snow leftovers (about a cm. of snow on the gorund) and when i smashed the throttle the snow came flying to my face and the truck took off. ive never had so much torque in a truck before. for the speed, it could almost catch up with my mambaified mini-t. i hit about 40mph on that little bugger, and the zilla is trailing a couple feet behind it. this thing is sweet. i then took my kicker ramp and did a couple jumps off of it. the truck stayed leveled in midair and controlled nicely. when thr trucks lands, the suspension and the tires just act so well on jumps.....it will just go on the floor like it just landed on a pillow. i hit the jump sideways at 30 mph once, and it landed awefully. it landed right on its roof, and broke the rear body post. this is also a problem with some maxx owners, and it is apperent that it happened to me. to end the day, i drove it down the stairs like it did in the movie. the suspension ROCKS!!! in further inspection, i managed to snap a little portion of the body post....i lust took the clips off, took out the broken peices, and put the rest of the post back on. for new e-zilla owners, make sure your body posts are set all the way to the bottom to prevent damage.

to wrap it up, i think this monster truck is the best in my list. now off i go to bash it outside!!
Old 12-26-2005, 09:14 PM
blaylock

I just installed 40 series proline rims and big joe tires with the stock gearing it calmed the low end down some and top speed is ridiculous i also installed a hs645mg for steering it was a worth while upgrade but not necessary this thing drives just fantastic.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:13 PM
AznBash3r

hmmmmmm.....i just came in from a morning bash. this thing just got muuuuuuuudddyyyyy. should i clean it? nah it looks cool muddy lol. i was jumping and got sweet air. still cant get it to wheelie since theres no traction here (snow is melting). but i did got to the point where you take a sharp turn, balance on the 2 side wheels, and run on it like a savage would do, but didn't balance long enough. lets see if you guys can do this!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 05:14 PM
AznBash3r

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@] im very mad!! i broke 3 shocks in the past 2 days!!! well it was fun breaking it though, i was running my mini-t doing some fast straight aways, then 3 kids came. they asked to drive it for $3 lol. but then the batts. ran out. i took my e-zilla from my yard and showed them my jumping skills lol. i attempted the impossible.....a front flip. i couldnt get the back flip so i came up to the jump, tapped the brakes hard, then waited til the front flip rotated. it was an easy task for such a big truck. ill be shooting a movie soon as long as my friend lets me use his camera. I will be getting a new pack of 8 stock savage shocks from eBay. hopefully the durability of these shocks can be untouched by the stock e-zilla shocks. how in hte world would it break? i have no idea.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:29 AM
rhylsadar

hi
what do you mean exactly with "they broke"? bend the shaft or what?
rhylsadar
Old 12-29-2005, 10:41 AM
kostaktinos_mt

usually, the shock shafts tend to bend when you crash [that is what happens with all other vehicles also]. however, the stock [plastic] e-zilla shocks [the shock bodies to be exact] WILL break when landing after high jumps. once you break one, you shouldn`t continue driving the truck, since another one WILL DEFINATELY break [considering the amount of stress carried out by the single shock remaining]. i guess that is what aznracer did and ended up with 3 broken shocks. however, ANYONE can avoid that breakage with a very simple solution: buy 8 spring preloaders [less than 2$] OR 4 stiffer springs [about 3$] and install them. the stock springs are EXTREMELY SOFT and even when the vehicle is standing still they just can`t hold its own weight to full ridehight {!!!! AMAZING, huh?!}. so, if you install 4 stiffer springs [so you have 1 soft/red and one stiff/blue(for example) installed on each A-arm] you won`t ever break a shock. but keep in mind that this minor modification is only needed if you are going to do high-jumping. the drawback of that mod is that you will lose a small part of e-zilla`s impressive handling {which IMO you don`t need so much if you won`t be racing]. so, to wrap it up, if you will be just bashing, just make the suspension stiffer [either by installing 4stiffer springs or by preloading the stock ones]. hope that helps...
Old 12-29-2005, 10:44 AM
kostaktinos_mt

@aznracer: the savage shocks are almost undestructable! if you ruined the stock ones, then buy the savage ones {good choice man [8D] }.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Alfalfameister

TOPIC: What brushless motor/ESC combo?

I would like to use a brushless motor for the e-zilla? What are your suggestions, considering the following:

PRIMARY OBJECTIVE: Brushless is more maintenance free -- so, less (none) of that commutator/brushes/etc stuff
SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: Longer run times

_NOT_ an objective: Faster speeds. Normally, faster speeds equates to shorter run times, but that is not the objective here. When my needs change and I want more speed later on, then I will post again.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2005, 04:36 AM
rhylsadar

hi

i have not seen many BL e zillas out there so far. i saw one with a feigao 9L and warrior 9920 which seems an adequate combo in my view that is not too expensive. of course there are many other possibilities.
the hv maxx from novak is not a drop in. that would be a nice and not too powerful set as well. the question is how easy the zilla can be modded to make that one fit. motor is around 73mm long. there is place for about 65mm motors that will fit without mods.
it remains to seen how the drivetrain and diffs will hold up to some bl power.

concerning the shocks. my experience with the savage stock shocks is that they are ok but far from really good for hard bashing. the shafts are bending easily as they are only 3mm thick. to reduce that problem you can put some fuel tube or the like around the shaft inside the shock body so that the shafts can not fully get out when the car is in the air. the shocks get a bit shorter with that mod. thinner silicon oil and harder springs will help too. for jumping it would be good to mount rear buggy shocks like the ones from the ofna 9.5. but as those shocks are fairly shorter you need some other shock towers in the savage. so probably that would be needed in the e zilla too.

rhylsadar

Old 12-31-2005, 07:19 AM
kostaktinos_mt

as i said in another thread, my cousin races his brushless e-zilla in germany against nitro MTs. he is using a feigao brushless system, but i am not sure which one specifically. his drivetrain is stock. The HV-maxx system is compatible -but not a direct fit. you will have to use your dremel to remove about 1cm of useless aluminium out of the upper chassis. i run my own e-zilla on 2 johnson drill motors rated at 280 watts each, and the only mod i have done is attaching a good fan on the ESC, since the 560watt output is way out of the ESC specs. 2 years ago i was using a similar setup running 2 EVXs in my emaxx - one for each powertool motor. however, after the continuous use of 2 or 3 packs, e-zilla`s GT esc will eventually go into failsafe sometimes [especially on hot days], but that`s not a problem though, considering the excessive stress being carried out. i really like it! the only problem that i encountered once, was an axle cross-pin tossing out of the universals due to very high rpm during a jump, but that wasn`t even a damage. i just re-installed it. now regarding the savage shocks, i can say that they are pretty durable. as with all shocks, soft springs are an overkill for very high jumps. that is a rule! as with all MTs, you can choose between good handling [well...as good as it gets for an MT!!} and enormous jump capabilities without carnage. for the 1st one [mainly racing purpose] use soft springs, for hardcore bashing with 10-30 feet {!!} jumps, install stiffer springs. otherwise, if you can find shocks that won`t break [with soft springs], then something else WILL! it all has to do with physics appliance [as rhylsadar has said once]: the principle of momentum preservation [if momentum is the right word]. in small terms: <<something has to absorb the impact>>. if it is your springs, then they will smoothly absorb and return the energy smoothly again without carnage. if it is the shock body or the a-arms or anything else...well...it will break!
Old 12-31-2005, 08:20 PM
AznBash3r

well, the thing that broke were the shock bottoms...the plastic part that has a hole connecting to the suspension arm. basically one on each suspension arm (except for one arm) has a broken shock. i just bought a set of stock savage 4.6 shocks (the one with the black springs) off of ebay, unassembled. i will be expexting to get them soon. now heres a tip for you bashers!!

1. If you run in dirty/muddy/dusty surface, it will get on the shock shaft and compress into the shock body. this will lead to a really dirty shock oil in the inside. i took my shocks apart after i wash bashing and the shock oil was basically mud!!! i set them apart and waited for the savage shocks to come.

2. this one is a helpful tip, both performance wise and durability wise. as i have experienced with my shocks, i broke the bottom part of it. from now on, i will mount my shocks upside-down. this helps by saving shock oil and keeping it clean (for the most-part), and keeping the weak, thin bottom part on the top of the shock. this will definnately help the jumpers out there.

3. GET SOME SHOCK COVERS!!!!! (or shock socks, w/e u wana call em'). you will be changing shock oil every dirty run if you dont. what i did was take one of those long baloons (about 5" long deflated) and cut the top part, slid it over the shock, and tweaked it so that it doesnt compress the shock by itself. i will eventually take my stretchy book cover (you can get them from your office depot, or any store that focuses on work appliances or school resources) and make my own shock socks, saving myself $20. good deal eh?

4. keep in mind that there is a steering setting thingy on the radio. if your truck rolls over too much, decrease the turning radius.

5. this is what a member from another forum told me...the orange savage shocks are PERFECT for the zilla. it gives it less bounce on the jumps and still handles well. you guys might give it a try!!

thats about it. this can help many of you. i recently e-mailed hotbodies rc about the savage shocks, and they said it will not fit...BS!!! i already know someone who owns a savage and e-zilla and was successful at putting savage shocks on the zilla. when i get my savage shocks from the mail, i will tell you all how it performs and the fitment issues and what not. till then, keep them trucks bashin'!!! lol
Old 01-01-2006, 08:56 AM
kostaktinos_mt

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE - WHEREVER YOU ARE! my brother just bought an e-zilla for himself, and since we both are at our home-city for the christmas vacation, i will be bashing his stock beetle monster tonight[8D][8D][8D]. mine is at my house at thessaloniki [another city 900km away ]. so, if i find a cam from a friend of my brother, i will take some pics and maybe a medium-quality bashing video! wish me good luck! [wish good luck to the truck also! my brother will drive his first RC {OMGGG!!! - i hope he drives RCs better than his 1:1 car! lol! } ]
Old 01-01-2006, 01:02 PM
shredder111

I might be getting an E-zilla soon, maybe in a couple months. Post some pics of your E-zilla's guys I also looked where to find back up parts. I looked on tower, and there were none. Any links for me directly to parts?? I looked on Horizon hobby too with no luck.

Shredder111[>:]
Old 01-01-2006, 02:44 PM
AznBash3r

shredder, when you get the E-Zilla, it comes with a piece of paper that has all the spare parts listed. on the left side theres a number such as 70558, or 70549. go to www.horizonhobby.com and type the product number of the item on the search bar and it will show the results. i would get pictures of my zilla, but i have no camera.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:19 PM
wfdfiremedic

I have just purchased the e-zilla and am waiting for it to arrive. I am wondering if it would be possible, or a good idea to install my Novak 6.5 brushless motor system in the truck? Do you think this would work, and do you think it would have enough power to move the truck?

Thanks for the input,
Chris
Old 01-01-2006, 04:44 PM
shredder111

AznRacer, could you get the stock numbers for A-arms I dont have ther truck yet, unless Hot Bodies released the manual I cant look for any secret parts I want to see how much A-arms cost, those are the most frequently broken, at least for me!

Shredder111[>:]
Old 01-02-2006, 02:21 PM
kostaktinos_mt

shredder11, you won`t break the a-arms of the e-zilla! you will break c-hubs if you crash much, or maybe the stock shocks if you jump too high.the last one can be prevented [read above]. as for the c-hubs, i hadn`t had broken any through 3 months of ownership, but i did broke 2 of them in the past 3 days [wasn`t me driving!! [:'(] ]. i didn`t use replacements though, i just swapped them around [these are sumetrical hubs], and everything works fine for now... i will go to a machinery center one of these days and try to make 4 alluminium copies. I will let you know...
Old 01-02-2006, 05:30 PM
AznBash3r

wait, i do not get it...how can you take the broken c-hub and switch it to a non broken c-hub? wouldnt the broken one still be non functional if its broken? its kinda confusing. anyways, the a-arms will not break, thts the least possible thiing to break, even from severe bashing.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:32 PM
AznBash3r

heres a link to a page of spare parts numbers. http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/contents_...lla/spare.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.