Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

tamiya lunchbox

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 01:41 PM
traxxspirit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tamiya lunchbox

my friend want to get a tamiya lunchbox to bash with. Is the lunchbox a durable truck??? IS it a good basher?? Thanks.

Bernard
Old 12-29-2005, 01:52 PM
69 GTO

Default RE: tamiya lunchbox

The lunch box is a FUN truck, but I wouldnt call it durable. I had one back when they first came out (original one back in the 80's....they havent changed since then so their the same) anyways, it might not be the best choice for bashing IMO. One thing it's only 2wd so thats gonna limit your bashing fun. It has a hard body which is very scale looking but not durable (a good roll over can crack it) Also most of the weight is biased towards the rear of the truck so it isnt the best handling truck.

With that said though it is fun to mess around with, just depends on what your friend wants to do with it.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:18 PM
rcmaster123
My Feedback: (3)

Also most of the weight is biased towards the rear of the truck so it isnt the best handling truck.
does it just wheelie from the start all the time so its hard to control?
Old 12-29-2005, 06:02 PM
69 GTO

No it will take off fine under power. Like I said its been many years since I had one, but I remember that it would want to bring the front end up when you would hit a bump with it hard on power. It's not like a wild willy though where it will just wheelie from a dead stop all the time.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Lunchbox = collector and shelf queen only

Let your friend know that Tamiya has already discontinued the rerelease, so parts availability will be a chore soon. That thing was awesome for it's time, but can't run with any of the new stuff. Tell him to get a Stampede if he wants a reasonably priced entry level truck fix.

They are fun, but again with parts running dry again soon and with much better stuff out there, it just isn't worth it.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:18 PM
69 GTO

They discountinued it already Dale?? didn't they just re-release it not even a year ago or so?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Grantothismo

They are just doing limited 3 month runs of the cars - then depending on response they issue more.

I have already gotten the Hornet and Grasshopper re-release - now I am just waiting fo the Frog.

Need to find some original stickers to replace the repo's - they did not license any of the original parts manufactures, like NGK, so they faked them. Doesn't look right to me.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:34 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Ya, Tamiya USAs website already lists the Lunchbox 'rerelease' as discontinued...

Collectors, get it now!
Old 12-30-2005, 07:38 PM
WAXDUMMIES

On the subject of old, vintage Tamiya. Anyone know if they will rerelease the Tamiya Monster beetle? This was my first RC when I was a kid. Its long gone now, probably doing wheelies in the great parking lot in the sky. I want a new one, without spending $650 on an original from E Bay.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:26 PM
69 GTO

I haven't heard anything about them re releaseing the bettle, but they have done the grasshopper/hornet/frog/blackfoot/midnight pumpkin and the lunchbox so it wouldn't surprise me if they did do the bettle.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:24 PM
fugaziiv

I have an original '87 Lunchbox that i still run daily. It really is no basher, but it is fun for doing wheelies and stuff, and they do look cool as all get out. There is no way that they will keep up with any of the more modern stuff. but if you want something different then go ahead, but I'd prolly also get a 'pede or something to really beat the balls out of...
Old 12-30-2005, 11:07 PM
WAXDUMMIES

I want my beetle back!! I still have the Kyosho radio, 540 Mabuchi with bullet plugs, the speed control, etc. Man, I might have to save up for an original. Back then, who knew that stuff would be a collectors item?
Old 12-31-2005, 12:08 AM
Grantothismo

Wax:

I bought a Monster Beetle and mixed it with my Frog- got a Monster Frog. Still have it 20 years later - sorry to hear you got rid of yours.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58372.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	378358  
Old 12-11-2010, 01:25 PM
northbrooksiii

I waited 20 years to get a lunchbox. I had a family to raise, so i kinda dropped out of rc for a decade or two,but now i got a re-box and ive got my sites on a super clod in the near future as well! I think that the lunchbox is a great beginner truck to have fun with and learn how to fix...(not the toughest truck)...and learn if you really wanna get into further aspects of rc-ing.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:31 PM
northbrooksiii

Hey, granto... Ive got a 20 year old blackfoot chassis im trying to turn into something new all together. A buddy of mine gave me a locked diff tranny from the days he used to do the truck pulls and the front shock tower out of my old tamiya bear hawk. Now im trying to incorporate some old bolink universal body mounts to put a lexan bug body on. I dont have any of the old body mounts and im gettin kinda creative on how to do it. How does the lower c-g act with that frame? Im gonna put a 17 turn in it. I think itll rip pretty good when im done.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:59 PM
guys2nv

I love the box but i'll have to agree w/ dale-it's really meant for the shelf (exactly where mine is) and there's much better bashers out there-tell him about the pede 4x4 (if he can afford it of course) the 2wd slash can bash to-roller's are fairly cheap these days. sorry for the darkness of the pic-its alli have on this computer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55363.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1533081  
Old 12-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

Evader ext2 can bash too. All it needs is new aluminum evader st shocks and its a great truck. It is aimed for beginners stock but it can be upgraded into a good racer and its plastic is quite durable when it isnt cold outside. In the winter, i successfully converted it into a snow plow that works decently. And the only bad thing i found about it is that it is 2wd, and of course the stock shocks are not good for really high jumps.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:22 AM
The Mad Modder

I have two things to say.
1. The LB is fine for bashing. I bought one for my younger brother and he beats the crap out of it. Nothing has broken except the 2 little springs that hold the rear swing arm assembly down in the slot. I haven't noticed any difference in handling despite those 2 broken springs.
2. This thread is 5 years old, I think that it's a little late to help the OP decide whether to buy one or not.