Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

tc4 upgrade to 100mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 05:27 PM
CadillacDTS2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tc4 upgrade to 100mph

u got to tape the first run u make
Old 01-25-2006, 05:46 PM
fusion_outlawz

It's my brother, but i'll try. Got to build it first.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:48 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

fusion, though 100 is only a bit higher than 65, it will take a hell of a lot more power to get those speeds. Expect to see speeds of no more than 75.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:39 PM
fusion_outlawz

Even 75 would be cool, I could imagine on controlling that speed. What I'm trying to find out is how to build it to get that fast. Have you heard or recommend Plettenberg motors?
Old 01-25-2006, 07:48 PM
R/C fan-addict

I've never heard of those motors but a 5 cell lipo pack will fry most esc so you'll have to buy a really good one from some tiny company that makes unusual R/C stuff
Old 01-25-2006, 07:53 PM
-Inverted-

Yeah, they're pretty good although I'd still go with a hacker or lehner!
Old 01-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Evader 53

Lipo batteries are NOT batteries for the new rc'er. You need to take extreme caution with lipos, charging rate has to be just perfect, and bashing even a little is out of the question.

Lipos are very dangerous and if charged at the wrong rate, or hit hard by a crash, will explode... and you don't want to be anywhere areound when that happens. Your car will be ashes.

This is what I suggest:
Low turn brushless with correct gearing (sphere neo combo is sweet)
High capacity IB3800 cells from boomboombatteries

I am not trying to turn you awau from lipos, just trying to save you, your car, or even your house.
Be extremely cautious with lipos. (Very few people on these forums run lipos)

Read on some of the cautions about lipos [link=http://www.*********.org/lithium_battery_breakthrough.htm]here.[/link]

I don't know why you want to go 100mph. Which you will never get to considering the speed record is 111mph, with a RC10L3 pan car. At speeds of 65+mph, the steering would be ridiculous, and you'd need a big open sspace, like a vacant parking lot to run the thing, with finess on the throttle.

Just keep in mind that lipos are NOT for in-experienced rc'ers, and you will need a new charger.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:05 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

with that setup, don't expect more than 55mph
Old 01-25-2006, 10:24 PM
-Inverted-

Yeah a neo isnt going to get him the speed he wants, I say go with the hacker motor/schulze esc.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:26 PM
99GTP

This thread is interesting. I just bought a new Schultze U-Force 75 ESC last week and a new Hacker C40 6T motor yesterday. I'm gonna go for the ultimate top speed with my TC3 this summer too. Someone a number of posts ago said that the Hacker motor should really only be used with up to 8 cells. Is that true? I've had guys at the local hobby shops and at the track tell me that you can easily do 12 cells with that motor without a risk of damage from heat. I was planning on using 10 cells. I always go a little below the maximum capacity. [sm=rolleyes.gif]
Old 02-01-2006, 10:41 PM
-Inverted-

Sweet Setup ^^^
Old 02-01-2006, 11:09 PM
99GTP

Hey Cadillac have you ever used this combo that I'm going with? Did you ever experience any glitching at all? I just wonder because last summer I was using my SS5800 brushless setup in my TC3 with an Airtronics synthesized receiver and it glitched so bad I could hardly drive it. Hopefully this setup will be more drivable! [sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 02-01-2006, 11:57 PM
roni2743

Hacker 6T + 10 cells = [X(]
That should be amzing! The hacker is rated to handle that so go for it, and let me know how it goes!
Old 02-02-2006, 12:09 AM
-Inverted-

Not that setup, but it should get you the speed your looking for, may I ask how much it set you back?
Old 02-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Doahh

ORIGINAL: 99GTP

This thread is interesting. I just bought a new Schultze U-Force 75 ESC last week and a new Hacker C40 6T motor yesterday. I'm gonna go for the ultimate top speed with my TC3 this summer too. Someone a number of posts ago said that the Hacker motor should really only be used with up to 8 cells. Is that true? I've had guys at the local hobby shops and at the track tell me that you can easily do 12 cells with that motor without a risk of damage from heat. I was planning on using 10 cells. I always go a little below the maximum capacity. [sm=rolleyes.gif]
sorry but that's not going to get you the speeds you want... both cars had custom cells 24 of en that weighed about te same ammount as 7 sub C cells and the pan car had a 2 TURN Brushless motor....
Old 02-03-2006, 02:49 AM
99GTP

All together with shipping the motor and controller ran me $465. I was thinking about getting the Hacker controller but when I called them they said they're not selling them right now and are testing some new prototypes. He told me they are trying to come up with a smoother system that's easier to drive and ROAR legal so they can get into that kind of racing. My goal here is just to push the car into the 70's somewhere. I would consider 80mph a miracle with the setup I'll have! [sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 02-03-2006, 02:53 AM
-Inverted-

So like the novak series made by hacker, cool. You will need to run quite a few cells to get decent speed.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:25 PM
sleepy23
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Evader 53

This is what I suggest:
Low turn brushless with correct gearing (sphere neo combo is sweet)
High capacity IB3800 cells from boomboombatteries

I am not trying to turn you awau from lipos, just trying to save you, your car, or even your house.
Be extremely cautious with lipos. (Very few people on these forums run lipos)

I don't know why you want to go 100mph. Which you will never get to considering the speed record is 111mph, with a RC10L3 pan car. At speeds of 65+mph, the steering would be ridiculous, and you'd need a big open sspace, like a vacant parking lot to run the thing, with finess on the throttle.

Just keep in mind that lipos are NOT for in-experienced rc'ers, and you will need a new charger.
lipo arent that bad. to answer somebody's remark, a 5s pack is like 18 volts (5 cell * 3.7) and there are a ton of esc's that will handle that. the nimh i dont like nimh for speed runs cuz of the sheer weight of all those cells.
also, speed records mean nothing, they are ment to be broken so how can you say who will or will not break a record??
there are some monster trucks over at rc-monster that can hit in the 70's. so a 70mph 8lb moster....a 3lb 100+ touring car isnt that much of a stretch.
keep this thread alive until i can get a 65-70 mph run in a stadium truck and then say what wil NEVER be gotton to by someone. sorry for the ranting, but that really pisses me off to say that somebody will not be able to break that record when it is very likely they could. a tc3 loaded with cells got 96mph, a tc4 with the same voltage but in lipo would defiantly break 110mph.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:26 PM
David236

The biggest problem to overcome is finding a suitable location. Most asphalt parking lots are not perfectly level and once you get over 50 MPH even a pebble can lift the front end enough to send air under the car and send you flipping end over end. Most of the R/C speed records were set on a large oval bicycle racing track which has an exceptionaly smooth surface and sweeping banked corners. I think you would almost have to have an oval type configuration to hit 100mph so you could gradually build speed over a few laps and be able to keep the car in radio range and be able to see ahead of the car to drive it. Running in a straight line the car would go out of site and radio range probably before it could even hit near 100.......
Old 02-03-2006, 10:54 PM
zaphod42
My Feedback: (3)

To get top speeds with a TC you'll have to be careful of what body you choose. The Stratus is indeed a favorite among the racers but that is because it makes good downforce to make it corner better. You'll want something with less downforce (especially something without that big rear wing) to keep down the ground friction.

The catch is that a slippery body will make it more than a bit squirrely to handle at high speed even if you get the toe and caster just right so some driving finess will be required and you could get into big trouble REALLY quick (as in ' I just crashed the car - where's the dustpan so we can recover some of these parts?!').

If it's truly pure top speed you want and you aren't concerned about cornering I'd also go with rubber slicks (and hard ones- maybe a compound somewhere in the high 30s) to keep down the tire to surface friction. Even the hard compound foam ones will slow you down because they grab the ground too well. Also remember that at the kinds of speeds you'll be turning the wheels you will need to be very careful about getting the tires mounted perfectly or they will vibrate like madness. They will also grow quite a bit in diameter as the rubber stretches (ever see a top fueler do a burnout?) so make sure they are glued on very well and make sure that you have plenty of clearance for the extra diameter.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:15 PM
99GTP

I just got my new Schultze U-Force 75 ESC today. I wired it up to the Hacker motor and it seems to work ok. There is one very strange thing that happens that I can't figure out. I read that if you turn switch #3 to the on position the ESC will provide reverse. I did this and I can get it to go in reverse but then after that it stops and the motor won't go anymore in either direction. The steering still works just not the motor. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? [sm=confused.gif]
Old 02-13-2006, 11:54 PM
R/C fan-addict

yeah that happened to my duratrax intellispeed and since it was out of warantee and it would cost about $20 to fix it I junked it and bought a GTB! I think I may have caused it to fail by CAing the on off switch to the ESC case... hope you didn't use CA glue anywhere near your ESC cause I know Novak doesn't cover that under the warantee...
Old 02-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Doahh

no one covers CA under waranty and it warns you against it
Old 02-14-2006, 03:10 PM
R/C fan-addict

well I read the entire manual and couldn't find anything saying not to use CA near my intellispeed...
Old 08-10-2006, 09:12 AM
Techno11

kinda bumping the thread a bit im interested in the newest developments in these im interested in making a tc3 keep up with a nitro race im thinking a max amps 8000 mah lipo 7.4 v and a brushless system I dont have to be faster then them but i need to keep up and i woul;d win i think because i would not haveto pit during the race what is the best bang for the buck combo going now. speed and price? this will be in Tc3 cars prolly racing against ntc3s also

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.