Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Converting to Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 07:12 PM
nubarjan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting to Lipo

I was just Curious and need some insight.

What would I need to switch to some new lipo batteries. I could fit it in my car, TA-05, But what would I need.

Would I have to change my duratrax intellispeed 8T to something from an rc plane.

Can anybody help and have they tried it.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:19 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Converting to Lipo

Ive never seen or run LiPo but don't use them if your drifting or bashing hard, or racing off-road. They will glitch if they shift too mush and could cause you to total your vehicle. Watch out when useing LiPo. You could use a bunch of foam to put around the edges to make sure it dosen't go anywhere.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:40 PM
SkrapIron

Before you get your heart set on a Li-Poly pack, you really need to do some serious research. Li-Poly is dangerous, and can burn explosively if you don't treat them with great care.

They are used in aircraft, but in that use are very rarely are subjected to jarring impacts. In a car, even an on-road, you are risking alot with Li-Poly. The packs can be damaged internally if you wreck hard enough. And the faster you go, the harder you will wreck.

Please read the attached safety and use warning pamphlet that is distributed by Thunder Power batteries:

http://www.thunderpower-batteries.co...tyWarnings.pdf

In my opinion, the risks outweigh the benefit.

Besides, they're not legal to race with, take forever to charge, and cost an arm and a leg.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:55 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Before you even think about touching a Li-Po pack you MUST fully read and fully understand how to properly use it, and the dangers involved if you abuse it or use it incorrectly.

Li-Po is terrific, but it's not for the kind of person that takes one look at the instructions then throws them in the garbage can. These cells can do some serious damage if you don't know what you're doing.

To answer your question...

You will first need to figure out what the max current your car draws is. Once you know that you will then need to chose the battery pack accordingly, you need to pay very close attention the C ratings on it, if it can't handle the current it will overheat/puff up and possibly explode.

As long as your ESC can handle the voltage it will be fine, however you should purchase a low voltage detecting device to alert you when the pack gets to its the minimum voltage before damage occurs (unlike NiMH or NiCD cells Li-Po's will get seriously damaged if discharged too far) www.maxamps.com has a LVD for like $15.

Other than that the only thing I can think of that you should do is line your cars battery tray with some kind of soft foam (or wrap the pack in it) to dampen any hard bumps.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:07 PM
SkrapIron

I run Kokam 2s2p Li-pol cells in my electric planes. I get nearly 45 minute flight times, with my outrunner brushless motors.

But the plane draws 27 amps at full throttle. That's less than 1/4 the current draw of a 540 sized motor.

When I charge them, it is done outside, in a fireproof box. I have had 1 cell vent, but not explode when charging.

Li-Pol has amazing potential, but is VERY dangerous, if not handled responsibly.

I'm in no hurry to run them in my 1/10 trucks. With the IB series of cells, I'm getting previously unheard of performance out of Ni-Mh cells, that don't pose the risks that Li-Pol does. Especially for off-road racing.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:52 PM
R/C fan-addict

ok you'll need a charger which will cost you around $100 unless you already have a charger with lipo charging features. Then since most good chargers are DC you'll need a power supply (around $100). What esc do you have? if you have a cheap esc then there's no point in getting lipo anyway. Usually people pair brushless and lipo together to get awesome performance. So the total considering you have a nice esc but don't have a charger, power supply, or the batteries is around $430 for a set of batteries! how does lipo sound now? You could get 10 IB3800 packs from boom boom (http://www.boomboombatteries.com/pro...12&subgenre=25) for that price.
in the price posted above I assumed you'd use something in the price range of these: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKLK8&P=7
Old 01-31-2006, 09:57 PM
gunnut

ORIGINAL: SkrapIron

They are used in aircraft, but in that use are very rarely are subjected to jarring impacts.
lol unless I'm trying to fly it Seriously though I've heard scary stuff about LiPos
Old 01-31-2006, 10:52 PM
R/C fan-addict

yeah I wonder just how much it would suck to have bought a FT TC4 with sphere/ neo, scorpion lipo, specktrum receiver, and mod the hell out of it and then drive it for the first time on your street and smash into a tree and see a great big ball of fire that used to be your $2000 car... lol or even worse you were driving it in the street and a car ran over it. Then you'd have to pay the driver since his car got torched. Adding insult to injury! once though my HPI Dash got run over by this complete dumbass going really fast like 20 above the 20 mph limit and he saw me and my friend but didn't stop and I couldn't get my car and myself out of the way of the car so I just jumped myself and there I see my brand new dash which I got for xmas run over by a pruis. then the guys like oh I'm so sorry and just hands me twenty bucks and leaves! he thought it was some POS radio shack car but it cost $100! luckily I found his car parked and left a note and he gave me $60 more saying that it was partly my fault! anyway it held up pretty wheel after having two wheels of a pruis run over it. only a broken body post and bumper of course the dash has no replacement parts so the car was parts
Old 01-31-2006, 11:00 PM
sleepy23
My Feedback: (1)

well you know i had to chime in here. i have a kokam 2s 20c pack i run in my t4's onroad. the thing is super light, the trucks is about 6mph faster than a 1.19+v 6cell pack and accels like a mother. yes you need to be careful, but the power is awesome and they dont fade off like a nimh. wait until i run the 3s pack...the speeds should be insane on that.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:50 PM
Doahh

psst... BoomBoom is getting Li-Pos in soon... You didn't hear it from me...
Old 01-31-2006, 11:56 PM
-Inverted-

psst... BoomBoom is getting Li-Pos in soon... You didn't hear it from me...
Old news....
Old 02-01-2006, 09:48 AM
tnguitarman

I read a Team Orion ad for their new LiPo line and it looked interesting, but just sounded too good to be true. It sounds like Orion is selling theirs in some sort of protective casing though? It looked interesting, but I havent seen any other documentation on it.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:46 AM
darthballs

its a kokam lipo with a plastic case and no safety features
Old 02-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Doahh

it's actually a hazard... you can't now see if you li-po is balloning...
Old 02-01-2006, 04:47 PM
nubarjan

Thanks for the help I think Iam going to stick with my NiMH or NiCD cells.

Just curious cause Iam putting on Lipos on my Mini Z.

Nubarjan
Old 02-01-2006, 05:06 PM
gniessen
My Feedback: (5)

Are an Li-Po providers coming out with batteries with integrated BMS (Battery Management System)? It would be nice to have Over and Under voltage protection at the battery so you don't have to buy a new charger, speed control, and receiver. Especially with the larger packs where cell balancing needs to occur. I probably will avoid Li-Po until I find one.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:25 PM
R/C fan-addict

I think you can get a little device that plugs into the lipo plugs acting like an extension but it keeps it from over discharging
Old 02-02-2006, 10:21 AM
gniessen
My Feedback: (5)

Yes, but it will not balance parallel cells ro prevent low voltage. And even on serial cells it will not prevent from one low cell causing the other cells to over-voltage.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:01 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Some lipo packs have taps for balancing the cells, and the Vampower packs have an extra plug on them that plugs into a balancer they sell.

I seem to recall seeing some brand of lipo's that had a low voltage cutoff thing built in but I can't remember where I would have seen that at.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:26 AM
CaptEvo

I'm getting a tc4 rtr. Also have 3cells 2100mah lipo i've been using for heli.
Can I use it with tc4 rtr electronics?
Old 05-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Elmo6s

We have the Li-Mn in - I personally like them better than Lipo...
Old 05-15-2006, 10:11 AM
-Inverted-

We have the Li-Mn in
Lithium Monopoly? j/k!

Please explain, I've never heard of those cells.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:41 AM
CaptEvo

Lithium Manganese,
but how is it different from li-po?
Old 05-15-2006, 10:59 AM
couldbemage

ORIGINAL: SkrapIron

But the plane draws 27 amps at full throttle. That's less than 1/4 the current draw of a 540 sized motor.
That would be more than 108amps. Did you mean 2.7 amps? That would be 10.8 amps, which is pretty low.

For reference, a novak supersport brushless esc is a 30 amp esc. Not even monster trucks need more than 100 amps.

The mamba is a 25 amp controller, and it will push a mini to more than 60mph.

The hottest fiegao 380c only pulls 70 amps.... The 540c series can pull 100 amps, but those are only used in 1/8th scale.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:04 AM
sleepy23

ORIGINAL: CaptEvo

I'm getting a tc4 rtr. Also have 3cells 2100mah lipo i've been using for heli.
Can I use it with tc4 rtr electronics?
no. the esc isnt going to handle 11.1 volts, you would really need a 2s lipo