Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 12:14 AM
raz54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition - T.E.C.

Question!!! What use does a sway bar for an evader do???? Any pros or cons????
[/quote]

Pro--they help keep it level for better cornering on pavement.
Con- No good off road, they don't let the suspension move as much.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:43 AM
bIGmiK

Haha raz you really should learn to quote lol
Old 04-13-2006, 01:27 AM
LiL Richy

Is a spur gear the same as the pinion like the lower the tooth the more acceleration and the higher the more top end???

And what would be a good spur gear for this pinion: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEX25&P=7
Old 04-13-2006, 09:34 AM
raz54

ORIGINAL: bIGmiK

Haha raz you really should learn to quote lol

It's weird, most of the time it works but some times it doesn't. This time it did.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Crash7772

ORIGINAL: robert321

Is a spur gear the same as the pinion like the lower the tooth the more acceleration and the higher the more top end???

And what would be a good spur gear for this pinion: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEX25&P=7
One tooth on a pinion is about the same as 3 teeth on a spur. A large pinion and small spur=fast. A small pinion and large spur=quick. So larger pinion and smaller spurs make you faster and smaller pinions and large spurs give you acceleration. Robinson Racing sells a odd and even set of pinions for around $10. I find that with the stock tires and 20/88 pinion spur for gears this is a pretty close set-up for most motors.

On a side note.....if the "race" wasn't fair then how long should we go? We raced about 150' down and 150' back (not my choice) which is over 1/10th scale 1/4 mile of 132'. I plan or racing him over twice the distance as the last racing we did but it's not going to make a difference. Maybe his tuning is off but they both do 40ish. All I need to do is gear up some and or use a quality pack or 7 cells.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:09 PM
raz54

On a side note.....if the "race" wasn't fair then how long should we go? We raced about 150' down and 150' back (not my choice) which is over 1/10th scale 1/4 mile of 132'. I plan or racing him over twice the distance as the last racing we did but it's not going to make a difference. Maybe his tuning is off but they both do 40ish. All I need to do is gear up some and or use a quality pack or 7 cells.
[/quote]

I thought it was a fair distance, that is what a race is, the first one across a given distance. It's not let's "keep going till I win". It's the racers responsiblity to make sure his car is race ready and if it's not then tough luck for him.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:20 PM
duneslider

I would have to agree. I have won and lost a lot of races on ATV's and there are no excusses. I think you beat him fair and square. Does that mean you would beat every nitro mt in the world, I doubt it. I won a lot of races because I was the first one out of the hole, not because I had the highest top speed. I usually didn't, they would gain on me the entire race but when I crossed that line I was first!

Duneslider
Old 04-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Humphrey001

I was last in here at about page 16, been wiorking away, anyway the question I have Is my bro' in law's 3000 venom seem to be losing power in his evader any body have a idea why. We discharge tham after a run and they have been losing running time , anybody out there have any ideas why. His batteries are about four months old. I would really appreciate any advise.

I blew up my standard ESC (24 pinnion masher 2000's) so will be about 2-3months befor I get the brushless system that I want.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:14 PM
raz54

There are lots of things that could cause that. The charger my not be fully charging it, esspecially if it's a timed charger. The pinion could be too tight against the spur gear causing undue load on the motor. The motor could be bad, stuck bearing or just drawing too many amps. The drive train could be binding some where. Are they nicads or NiMh packs? If they are NiMh they should not be drained, just charged. It could also be the batteries are wearing out.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Crash7772

ORIGINAL: Humphrey001

I was last in here at about page 16, been wiorking away, anyway the question I have Is my bro' in law's 3000 venom seem to be losing power in his evader any body have a idea why. We discharge tham after a run and they have been losing running time , anybody out there have any ideas why. His batteries are about four months old. I would really appreciate any advise.

I blew up my standard ESC (24 pinnion masher 2000's) so will be about 2-3months befor I get the brushless system that I want.
Last I knew NIMH's didn't like to be discharged. You must have a good peak charger with NIMH and the lower the amps charge rate the longer the run time. Trinity recommends 5 amps max for power and 3-4 for run time.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:42 PM
mbrody

Total Newbie here...

Need to get a handle on an upgraded engine/servo for my Evader EP ST.

I don't race, but want more speed/power than stock.

What model engine/servo will bring me to the next level without destroying the car and is also easy for me to put in/install. Don't want to completely destroy run time either. A sacrifice is OK, just not in half.

I'm not dysfunctional, but want the mod to be somewhat simple...and when I look for the stuff, I have no clue what is good, what fits, etc.

Been reading as much as I can, but I am impatient for answers.

Little help?

Mike
Old 04-13-2006, 02:46 PM
raz54

mbrody. You didn't say how fast you want it to be but you can stay with the esc you have and get a dood 21 X 2 motor and gain close to 5 mph and have a lot more torque. That would be the easest way and cheapest and not lose much run time at all.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Crash7772

ORIGINAL: mbrody

Total Newbie here...

Need to get a handle on an upgraded engine/servo for my Evader EP ST.

I don't race, but want more speed/power than stock.

What model engine/servo will bring me to the next level without destroying the car and is also easy for me to put in/install. Don't want to completely destroy run time either. A sacrifice is OK, just not in half.

I'm not dysfunctional, but want the mod to be somewhat simple...and when I look for the stuff, I have no clue what is good, what fits, etc.

Been reading as much as I can, but I am impatient for answers.

Little help?

Mike
Well a servo is what steers your car. A motor is what drives your car. Orion, Reedy, Trinity are all good motor companies. You problem is you can only run (at best) a 19turn motor. With quality motors the lower the turns the faster the motor. You have a 20turn stock in yours which is lower quality, you could have a high dollar 27turn that could beat it. So you need to look at what you want to spend but I recommend anybody get these things with any motor. Light weight bearing lube, motor spray, comm drops, and a comm stick. These will keep your motor running top notch. I would also look for a ball bearing motor, they usually carry better upgrades than the bushed motors but are more money. So unless your ready to drop another $40+ on a new ESC your motor options are limited 19-20 turn and up motors. Also keep in mind........."The faster you guys the more parts you will break".
Old 04-13-2006, 02:56 PM
mbrody

Sorry, I confused servo with ESC.

Realistically, I can afford a new ESC and motor.

If I could make the truck 5-10mph faster without getting too deep into trouble, that's fine. Let's say minimum 5MPH faster.

I don't need to make it go 20mph faster (althoug it would be fun).

Pour it on...
Old 04-13-2006, 03:16 PM
raz54

ORIGINAL: mbrody

Sorry, I confused servo with ESC.

Realistically, I can afford a new ESC and motor.

If I could make the truck 5-10mph faster without getting too deep into trouble, that's fine. Let's say minimum 5MPH faster.

I don't need to make it go 20mph faster (althoug it would be fun).

Pour it on...

Like I said above, a good 21 X 2 motor will give you at least a 5 mph gain. If you want more power and speed go brushless. You can get a novak SS4300 motor/esc combo for about $170.00. That will give you about an 8 mph gain and never have to mess with comm cutting or replacing brushes or sticky bruses again.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:20 PM
mbrody

Raz,

Not too worried yet about brushless.

What is a good 21x2 to start with? I should just be able to drop this sucker right in correct?

I know if I really get into it, and want to go fast, then I will break out the $$$$ (hopefully I will know some more then too!)

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2006, 03:39 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

Welll, i got the bearing off....it just shattered. The center ring is STILL stuck on the shaft! Now i need to modify a bushing to fit or just heat it up and pry it hard!
Old 04-13-2006, 04:04 PM
discgolfer72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey just took apart my tranny im in need of a dif gear soo what if any alum or metal dif gear will work on this thing this id my 3rd one im replaceing and i dont want to replace another
if i cant get an alum one ive got a evader for sale
if it cant handel fast i dont want it

oh yea mbrody id reccomend a speed setup for ya (that wont cost an arm and a leg around 70 $ for around 40 mph)but the vader only lasts for about 5 runs at thoes speeds
Old 04-13-2006, 04:24 PM
raz54

ORIGINAL: discgolfer72

hey just took apart my tranny im in need of a dif gear soo what if any alum or metal dif gear will work on this thing this id my 3rd one im replaceing and i dont want to replace another
if i cant get an alum one ive got a evader for sale
if it cant handel fast i dont want it

oh yea mbrody id reccomend a speed setup for ya (that wont cost an arm and a leg around 70 $ for around 40 mph)but the vader only lasts for about 5 runs at thoes speeds

Is it the diff gear that's stripped or the idler? I haven't heard of anyone stripping the diff gear. As for finding the aluminum diff gear, good luck. They are no longer made from what I was told.

mbrody. Personally I like the Orion Method R motors. You can get a 21 X 2 for about $17.00 from tower hobbies. It comes with wire leads so you can plug it right in to the esc and drive. Just make sure you don't get the pinion and spur to tight, there should be a very small amount of play between the gears.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXJBY9&P=K
Old 04-13-2006, 04:32 PM
discgolfer72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeaa itsa the diff gear cameras outside or id take a pic real quick you know me i like speed
the center of the diff gear is complety unattached where the little dif balls go its sposed to have several holes for thoes balls whell now its just a big hole all the way around
Old 04-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Crash7772

If you get this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD523&P=ML you can go down to a 12turn motor but it doesn't have reverse.

And one of these
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCUP8&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJNG4&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJAJ4&P=7

You would have a pretty potent set up with decent run time. Just remember to break in your new motor.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:51 PM
cheech4

did you get the regular evader or the evader pro??
Old 04-13-2006, 04:56 PM
jedisolo

Which is a good pinion/spur ratio for a 4300 Brushless. The rear tires are the Pro Line Dirt Hawg 2.2 inch. Here's the towe link http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDU11&P=ML
Old 04-13-2006, 05:13 PM
fugaziiv

HGI made the aluminum diff gears. At the moment I am trying to figure out if they are even still in business...
Regardless, if anyone in here lives close to Albany NY, (thats where HGI is located, err, or was as the case may be) maybe we can ask them to storm the proverbial 'castle gates'.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Crash7772

ORIGINAL: jedisolo

Which is a good pinion/spur ratio for a 4300 Brushless. The rear tires are the Pro Line Dirt Hawg 2.2 inch. Here's the towe link http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDU11&P=ML
How tall are the tires?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.