Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:33 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C.

I've got a LIPO question. I've had a Gens Ace 4000mAh 30c Battery for at least 3 months now. It's been run a pretty fair amount. My LIPO shutdown has been @ 3.2v

Suddenly my charge time has decreased  from 53 minutes to 40 minutes. The mAh has gone from about 3200 mAh to the 2400 mAh range. The last timed runtime Runtime on a 60a ESC with a 32Kv motor   was about 19 minutes.

Motor is running cool, as is the ESC and the battery. No binding anywhere just lots of throttle.

If I drop LIPO cutoff to 3v, it's back in the 53 minute range, but I would SWEAR that it's been a 3.2 all along.

What are you guys getting gout of your lipos? Does this sound screwey??

Thanks   
NTR
Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

lipo's are only good for 300 cycles before you see about 80% loss in capasity... so you could be loosing some of that... or one of your cells is dumping out quicker than the others?

i would keep an eye on both cells and go form there...

the lug
Old 11-04-2011, 08:11 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I normally get around 25 minutes or so on my brushless EXT2 running a 4000mah 2s lipo. I thought i ran my old EZrun 35a in my stampede set to cutoff at 3.2v. However, I was having a hard time keeping it from cutting off early in the run at 3.2v cutoff. So I lowered it to 3.0v and it seems to be doing much better. Run times are good and my batteries are still right around 7 volts coming out of the truck.

As long as you are still charging to 8.4 volts, run times are good, and everything else checks out, I wouldnt worry about it.

I havent been able to run my 5200mah turnigy lipo's in my Evader yet because they wouldnt fit. Tonight though i dremeled about a 1/4" piece out from under my ESC mount, and then also made a new battery strap stud at the front on the servo tray. Ill have to get pictures of it later, but now i can fit my larger 2s lipos in the truck as well. It seems to work better with the battery strap upside down when running like this, but i can run the stock postition for my smaller size lipo's and the new setup for the bigger lipos without changing anything. Its going to be much nicer to have 4 lipos i can use in the truck instead of just 2 now. I think i saw where someone else did this before so it may be a copy, but it works great and i had the new traxxas battery strap stud already laying around. [8D] Im going on a trip this weekend about 5hrs from home and have all 4 lipo's ready to go now. Im taking the evader, and Tthats about 2 hours of runtime, so if i can find somewhere good to run, id say ill get some run time in on it tomorrow and maybe sunday[8D]
Old 11-05-2011, 06:22 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: NoTraxxisRustler

I've got a LIPO question. I've had a Gens Ace 4000mAh 30c Battery for at least 3 months now. It's been run a pretty fair amount. My LIPO shutdown has been @ 3.2v

Suddenly my charge time has decreased from 53 minutes to 40 minutes. The mAh has gone from about 3200 mAh to the 2400 mAh range. The last timed runtime Runtime on a 60a ESC with a 32Kv motor was about 19 minutes.

Motor is running cool, as is the ESC and the battery. No binding anywhere just lots of throttle.

If I drop LIPO cutoff to 3v, it's back in the 53 minute range, but I would SWEAR that it's been a 3.2 all along.

What are you guys getting gout of your lipos? Does this sound screwey??

Thanks
NTR

Hi you probably ruiend your lipo you never supposed to run down intil lipo cut off all the time.... it's only on the esc's for protection if you run down to 3.2v per cell every run your battery life gets shortend very fast as you are now seeing.

use the 80% rule and you battery will give you many years of enjoyment.... well worth it for stopping early cutting a couple min off your run time .
Old 11-05-2011, 06:25 AM
shenlonco

Hi if your experiancing cut off on a charged lipo it means
A- you car is over geared
B- your battery pack is not hight enough C rating to power the brushless system beaing used.

Put a smaller pinion gear on this may work if your battery pack is not good enough for your system.

I justed upped to a tacom 3900KV in my ext2 and i have a 21 tooth pinion gear and it workes great... i have a 81 tooth spur also.

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

I normally get around 25 minutes or so on my brushless EXT2 running a 4000mah 2s lipo. I thought i ran my old EZrun 35a in my stampede set to cutoff at 3.2v. However, I was having a hard time keeping it from cutting off early in the run at 3.2v cutoff. So I lowered it to 3.0v and it seems to be doing much better. Run times are good and my batteries are still right around 7 volts coming out of the truck.

As long as you are still charging to 8.4 volts, run times are good, and everything else checks out, I wouldnt worry about it.

I havent been able to run my 5200mah turnigy lipo's in my Evader yet because they wouldnt fit. Tonight though i dremeled about a 1/4'' piece out from under my ESC mount, and then also made a new battery strap stud at the front on the servo tray. Ill have to get pictures of it later, but now i can fit my larger 2s lipos in the truck as well. It seems to work better with the battery strap upside down when running like this, but i can run the stock postition for my smaller size lipo's and the new setup for the bigger lipos without changing anything. Its going to be much nicer to have 4 lipos i can use in the truck instead of just 2 now. I think i saw where someone else did this before so it may be a copy, but it works great and i had the new traxxas battery strap stud already laying around. [8D] Im going on a trip this weekend about 5hrs from home and have all 4 lipo's ready to go now. Im taking the evader, and Tthats about 2 hours of runtime, so if i can find somewhere good to run, id say ill get some run time in on it tomorrow and maybe sunday[8D]
Old 11-05-2011, 03:42 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: shenlonco

Hi if your experiancing cut off on a charged lipo it means
A- you car is over geared
B- your battery pack is not hight enough C rating to power the brushless system beaing used.

Put a smaller pinion gear on this may work if your battery pack is not good enough for your system.

I justed upped to a tacom 3900KV in my ext2 and i have a 21 tooth pinion gear and it workes great... i have a 81 tooth spur also.
I dont think either one of those is the problem actually. Im running stock gearing (20t pinion). Heat is basically non existant in the whole system even after a 30 minute run. My Lipo's are 4000mah 30c (120 amps) and 5200mah 30c (over 150a) and i dont think this system can come close to taxing them. I think its just maybe the detection is a little sensitive on the hobbywing ESC. I run both sets of lipos in my 13lb brushless Monster GT with a 150a ESC set for 3.4v lipo cutoff and they works great in that truck with the 3.4v cutoff, so i feel its just the way the ESC works that you have to run a little lower cutoff, which isnt dangerous at all since my batteries still come out of the truck at 7 volts.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:51 PM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

ORIGINAL: mc4798

Sweet ! when we bashing ?
IDK, we need to soon. I really want to take this thing out to the track at Richmond and run it some. Might need some better tires first though. lol Think a person could just go over there are run without getting into trouble? lol
Track in Richmond is closed

There is a track in masterstation park that is fun. You name the place

Old 11-05-2011, 04:29 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

I'd be suprised if I was near the 300 cycle cap. Buthow many times I've run with it is conjecture on my part. I should probaly keep records . .

cummins driver said something I was wondering about . . . the HobbyWing voltage detectionbeing flakey.I need to checkmy voltage when it comes out of the car.I checked it once and it was 7.2.

So the question in my mind is . . .is it really touching 6.4?Imay just have to get another batt and see how it acts. . .

Other thing is . . . this was a $24.00 batt. (Gens Ace) but it packed a heck of a punch, and still does . .

Point taken about one cell going bad. Ibalance it every charge and one side of the charge circuit seems always to be discharging . . .

Good mystery.

NTR

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

lipo's are only good for 300 cycles before you see about 80% loss in capasity... so you could be loosing some of that... or one of your cells is dumping out quicker than the others?

i would keep an eye on both cells and go form there...

the lug
Old 11-05-2011, 06:38 PM
rclugnut10

it's very possible that your pack saw 6.2v then bounced up to 7, when cells are near dead they dip in voltage a lot more... thats why you can be near the LVC trip it under heavy load, then drive the car slowly back to you...

the lug
Old 11-05-2011, 08:49 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: mc4798

Track in Richmond is closed

There is a track in masterstation park that is fun. You name the place

. .
There is an actual rc track at the park? Open to the public all the time? If so that is awesome!
Old 11-05-2011, 08:59 PM
cummins driver

A cheap data logger is really what a person needs to check voltage, amp draw, etc. if u could try the lipos in another truck though that might work. My lipos run 25-30 minutes in my mgt before the 3.4 cutoff kicks in, and the same amount of time in my wife's stampede before the lipo alarm sounds. My conclusion based on my trucks is that the hobbywing cutoff is just a little sensitive and has to be run lower to work correctly. If the batteries arent real low coming out of the truck, I think they'll b fine.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:55 AM
cummins driver

What ball studs are you guys replacing with the long ones? I'm not at home right now but I popped one out on a pretty small jump so I'll be upgrading soon. Are you guys doing the tie rods too? I'll for sure dO both ends of all the camber links, just don't know if the tie rods need it. I'm surprised it pulled out on that since I have crashed it much worse. Lol
Old 11-06-2011, 10:32 AM
rclugnut10

the ones on the rear hubs and i've replaced the stock ball cups with RPM long shank ones but left the turn buckles stock...

the lug
Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 AM
shenlonco

yea the rear hub ones rip out ... use a longer ball stud and put a nut on the other end this will keep it in check.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:11 PM
cummins driver

So are the rear hubs the only ones you guys have pulled out? I have the longer ball studs ordered (4 of them). Should be here by wednesday. [8D]

Also, how many people have had problems with the top gear in the transmission? I know someone on here had a problem with it eating away. Has anyone else had this problem or could it just have been a fluke? I have probably around 10 packs through my evader on brushless power now (about 5 hours worth) and it is still running smoothly with no breakages aside from the ball stud pulling out. Hoping that the top gear either wont be an issue, or that they will have a better one for the brushless version.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:14 PM
rclugnut10

i've never had an issue with the top gear, except for scratching it getting those PITA spring pins out which should be fixed with the new gear.... and i've only pulled them out of the rear...

the lug
Old 11-07-2011, 07:45 PM
cummins driver

Good deal. I noticed yesterday that i had a bolt rattle out of the transmission case. I checked the other 2 and they were loose as well. I pulled them out, but a slight bit of loctite on them, and reinstalled them as well as putting another bolt in where the other fell out. Ill have to keep an eye on that. Wont take long to strip a spur if the trans case bolts back out of the motor plate.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:47 PM
rclugnut10

huh i've never had that problem.... did you have some small spring washers between the screws/tranny case?

the lug
Old 11-07-2011, 07:50 PM
cumquat

mine was worn out from a 60 amp system with the better part of 30 hours on it. i swapped the whole gearbox with a spare i had just because it was going to be too much work to swap the top shaft.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:30 AM
shenlonco

Mine got ripped search in this thread i have photos of it and i did not use the truck to much i raced it a few times in the street on road with my brother in law on a track we set up.

I then hardened the top shaft gear and so far no problems yet...but then again i only ran it a handfull of times.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:53 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

huh i've never had that problem.... did you have some small spring washers between the screws/tranny case?

the lug
Yeah, it was all factory. I hadnt taken any of it apart so unless it was assembled wrong, the lock washers were there[8D]

Got my long ball studs put in today. I noticed the front turnbuckles on the inboard side already have the long ones that thread into the plastic. The steering tie rods on the inside dont have enough clearance for the long stud and a nut, so ill have to leave that alone as well. Id say this will fix my problem though. [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69894.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1684486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52008.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1684487  
Old 11-09-2011, 11:36 PM
wozthefitter

I have only had problems with the rear hub ball studs pulling out, due to bad landings, so swapped them for the trans brace long ones with nuts and haven't had any problems since. Would definately put RPM long ball cups on steering as standard ones seemed to come off a lot at knuckle. Now also use heatshrink over rear axle drive and dogbone to stop it from flying off into the void when you do pop a rearballcup.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:35 PM
cummins driver

I had an old body that came on a stampede i bought a good while back. Its a proline F-150 body. It didnt look real good on the pede, but i gave it a real beating and it held up pretty well. I decided to see what it looked like on the evader and with some dremel work, and modifying the front body posts slightly, it fit on and doesent look too bad. Its a little redneck looking, but there is something about it that i like Plus the fact that it was basically free and wont matter if it gets beat up means i may be able to make the stock body last a lot longer by running this one some. If it was a new body, with nicely cut holes for the shocks, and cleaned up with the dremel it would look pretty good. [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41678.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1684931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55779.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1684932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90347.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1684933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47697.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1684934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17429.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1684935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq96354.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1684936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fh81672.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1684937  
Old 11-11-2011, 10:29 AM
NoTraxxisRustler

I'm still messing around with the LIPO cutoff question I posted a few threads back . . . . .

Today I took my truck out and ran it up and down the street wide open and the ESC shut down four separate times, then came back on (set at 6.8). I never even turned it off. It just came back on and ran at full power.

After I finally decided to stop, I pulled the batt out of the truck and and found a voltage reading of 7.54 volts. 

Anyone think this makes a case for flakey shutoff on my hobbywing ESC?? Or just a battery that's about to croak. I'm beginning to think cumminsdriver   is on to something . . .

. I'm ready to get a new battery and see what that does . . .  

??NTR
Old 11-11-2011, 12:32 PM
rclugnut10

6.8 is ridiculously high, whats happening is the voltage sags under heavy load and that causes the dip in the voltage especially 6.8v thats only 3.4v per cell, which isnt super low for a lipo, so you were tripping your LVC before your pack was dead, drop that down to 6.2 or 6.3 and try it again... and it reads 7.54v because the voltage goes back up once the load comes off of it... take a flashlight (old style, non led) run it down a AAA cell with it, and as it starts to dim significantly, take off the load, then apply it again... you may want to put a few in series to make it drain faster...

i've been doing some testing on some 12Ah life cells pulling 60A out of them start voltage of 3.6v they'll dip down to 3.12v and slowly go down to 3.08v for about 10 min, then start to free fall, but the voltage will come back up to about 3.2v from 2.54v, so it maintained 3.1v for 10 min then dropped down about half a volt over a min near the end of the pack... so you could be right on the endge of that drop off and dipping down under heavier loads, i don't have any data with vairable loads yet, which would be similar to driving an RC car but yeah... for a 6.8v cutoff i'd be surprised if you didn't see results like that

the lug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.