Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:20 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition - T.E.C.

ORIGINAL: glancyguy

Thanks for your post. I do not own a Traxxas (how dare I!) and was getting it confused with their brushless editions...

A different topic:

The stock BX has quite a bit of oversteer for my driving tastes, especially with a 19T motor in it. I have heard many conflicting reports about how best to treat the diff. Can I tune the diff on these cars (like I can with tamiyas) to adjust the oversteer? Or should I just leave the diff EXACTLY as mentioned in the manual?
if by over steer you mean like pushes real hard, then yes go ahead your diff SHOULD be good with that motor if you find you're eating diff gears go to where my sig. says and make the required mods you'll be glad you did

yeah i've always seem to justify buying non traxxas cars tho i probally would've ended up with a t-maxx or revo if i hadn't found my savage for the what it costs now, tho when i got it it was like 80 more... also i was gunna go with a rusty (gen 1) but got the evader pro for the $$ it was a way better deal 12t esc, digi radio, faster motor, better parts Al shocks...

the lug
Old 06-04-2009, 06:26 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

well red thay do have the x in common .lol..
Old 06-04-2009, 06:40 PM
monsterbombs

you can loosen the diff very slightly but make sure
the slipper is slipping before the diff and your good to
go. i run brushless and have it tight as hell and it ruined
the thrust disc making it hard/notchy. i replaced it with 7
diff balls, and even super tight the diff is smooth as.
have you looked inside the diff?
 i wouldnt lock a diff. only good for burnouts really and
crawling.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:02 PM
SacramentoJoe

Hey lug, my ST came with a 20 tooth pinion, not the 18 that it says.  I run an 18 now with the Dirt Hawgs and the 4600.

For the oversteer, you can try to set your shocks and suspension different.  I'll try to find some info.  If I remember right, moving the bottom of the rear shocks to the inside will soften it up and that might help on the slippery tracks.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:03 PM
rclugnut10

yeah it is, tho i may get some outdrives and make a locked one just for fun cuz i think my diff loosened and thats why something gave out last weekend, i'm gunna start using locktite more.....

yeah def about the slipper tho i had loosened mine 2 bashes before my diff gave out, and loosened it more the bash before.....

the lug
Old 06-04-2009, 07:12 PM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: SacramentoJoe

Hey lug, my ST came with a 20 tooth pinion, not the 18 that it says. I run an 18 now with the Dirt Hawgs and the 4600.

For the oversteer, you can try to set your shocks and suspension different. I'll try to find some info. If I remember right, moving the bottom of the rear shocks to the inside will soften it up and that might help on the slippery tracks.
huh they must've put the 20 on my pro cuz it came with a 15t motor, i thought they all came with the same gear thats why..... if oversteer is where the rear end spins out, moving the shock to the outer position will help on the bottom and then upper most on the top also a higher front end

the lug
Old 06-04-2009, 08:56 PM
glancyguy

ORIGINAL: robosnow

the gear that came off the titan 12t has 18 teeth. I have run a fully charged 7.2 3100 just now and man this thing pulls decent. I can pull wheelies 3-4 feet long (going out of reverse to full on forward with the stock duratrax gear.) Sooo will it pull harder and have moretop end if I go smaller on the gear thats on the motor?

Chris

Smaller pinions (and spur gears) reduce the effort it takes for the motor to spin the gears. Lower turn motors have less torque than higher turn motors. This means they have to work harder to spin the gears. Less teeth requires less torque and therefore lets the motor spin more free.This allows it to spin at its max RPMs (top line speed) without much pressure on the motor. Cars that don't have the right pinion/spur for the motor are called "overgeared". An overgeared RCcar will have a slower start, take very long to get to top speed, and run very hot due to the effort.

I am not really an expert at this, but it is what I have learned over the months and doing lots of research. Here is adecent explanationof it.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:45 PM
rclugnut10

[quote]ORIGINAL: glancyguy

ORIGINAL: robosnow

the gear that came off the titan 12t has 18 teeth. I have run a fully charged 7.2 3100 just now and man this thing pulls decent. I can pull wheelies 3-4 feet long (going out of reverse to full on forward with the stock duratrax gear.) Sooo will it pull harder and have more top end if I go smaller on the gear thats on the motor?

Chris

Smaller pinions (and spur gears) reduce the effort it takes for the motor to spin the gears. Lower turn motors have less torque than higher turn motors. This means they have to work harder to spin the gears. Less teeth requires less torque and therefore lets the motor spin more free. This allows it to spin at its max RPMs (top line speed) without much pressure on the motor. Cars that don't have the right pinion/spur for the motor are called
smaller pinions lower the ratio, as do bigger spurs, and bigger pinions increase the ratio while smaller ones lower it,
however if you can get the same FDR with smaller gears it will help your power because it reduces rotating mass (more so on cars with bigger spurs/metal ones), and rotation mass eats power....

the lug
Old 06-04-2009, 11:21 PM
sam rojas
My Feedback: (3)

I've experimented with the Robison Racing Pinion set (Odd # pinions 15 to 25t).  I'm running Komodo 19T Pro's - Road Hawgs to Yokohama's (large Dia) tires, 88t stock Spur and a big 96t spur.  found that anything between 19 and 23 works for good torque, good top speeds and general acceleration without over heating the ESC or motor. The low and high end pinions tend to cause problems.  Been having issues with Battery heats that I think are more related to bad cells rather than gearing.

The Robinson Racing machined 96T spur gear with a 19t pinion is good times - might have to shave a bit of the motor mount to get spur and pinion to fit at correct mesh.  Running a good Komodo 19T Pro with XL-5 and some larger spike tires (not quite as large as the Yokohama's but big).  On my EXT at the moment - and runs very fast and strong torque even on those junky 6 cell NIMH.

IMO - experiment between 19t and 23t and stick to what matches your driving style/wheel diam/road surfaces and doesn't fry the works.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:24 AM
cheech4

So whats new and happening in the TEC these days. can anyone input an old fella vet.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:34 AM
BEARBYSR

How are ya cheech? You missed some awful evader trash talk but thankfully the thread whatchers deleted the posts. As we all know, we are all here to help each other and to have fun, not ridicule. Have you had a chance to run your mamba vader lately?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:50 AM
glancyguy

ORIGINAL: sam rojas

I've experimented with the Robison Racing Pinion set (Odd # pinions 15 to 25t). I'm running Komodo 19T Pro's - Road Hawgs to Yokohama's (large Dia) tires, 88t stock Spur and a big 96t spur. found that anything between 19 and 23 works for good torque, good top speeds and general acceleration without over heating the ESC or motor. The low and high end pinions tend to cause problems. Been having issues with Battery heats that I think are more related to bad cells rather than gearing.
The Robinson Racing machined 96T spur gear with a 19t pinion is good times - might have to shave a bit of the motor mount to get spur and pinion to fit at correct mesh. Running a good Komodo 19T Pro with XL-5 and some larger spike tires (not quite as large as the Yokohama's but big). On my EXT at the moment - and runs very fast and strong torque even on those junky 6 cell NIMH.
IMO - experiment between 19t and 23t and stick to what matches your driving style/wheel diam/road surfaces and doesn't fry the work.
Great post! Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:36 AM
hrd2fnd

ORIGINAL: monsterbombs

first thing i would do is pull down the tranny/diff and
relube everything and check its condition. other than that,
checking the motor for comm/brush wear and making
sure the shocks all have oil. thats about all i do, i also
glance over screws and spinning things for binding/worn
bearings.

Hate to ask, but what type of lube should Ipurchase and also what should Iget to keep this in good condiction after each use?

Thanks for your reply Monsterbombs

hrd

Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 AM
SacramentoJoe

Hey Dave, the TEC has been missing you! There is still alot of good conversations here. Been a few bad ones also. Anyway, I have been running my ST on the CC SW 4600 and some 2s LiPos. I even have quite a few runs on a 3s LiPo now and I am still running the stock diff and tranny. A year and half ago, I was asking about the CO27 motors, but now thanks to the TEC, I am feeling experienced.

I had a rough day yesterday. My rear chassis plate actually wore so thin from jumping at our track (for 1-1/2 years) that it cracked at the motor guard holes. The very back of it looked like a knife edge. Then on the way back to the house, I dropped my radio and snapped my antenna. Some days are great, some days not so good.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:59 AM
SacramentoJoe

ORIGINAL: hrd2fnd
Hate to ask, but what type of lube should Ipurchase and also what should Iget to keep this in good condiction after each use?
hrd
As recommended by Cheech on page 381:

lube the the diff balls with good silicon based lube, and for the gears i would use ceramic black grease
Old 06-05-2009, 11:06 AM
hrd2fnd

ORIGINAL: hrd2fnd
hrd
As recommended by Cheech on page 381:

lube the the diff balls with good silicon based lube, and for the gears i would use ceramic black grease
With still be new to this sport and this forum, I havent made it through all 584 pages, but am working on it and will be taking notes along the way. So I ask that everyone please bare with me if I happen to ask a question that has already been anwered over the years on previos pages.

Thank you

Old 06-05-2009, 11:10 AM
nitrocomplex1776

If any of you evader guys are interested i am going to be stripping apart my st pro and selling off all the graphite parts in a package deal now this will just be the graphite parts no electronics.  I will have a picture up a bit thought i would offer it up here first.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:48 AM
SacramentoJoe

With still be new to this sport and this forum, I havent made it through all 584 pages, but am working on it and will be taking notes along the way.  So I ask that everyone please bare with me if I happen to ask a question that has already been anwered over the years on previos pages.
Thank you
Don't worry about it, I didn't mean the reference that way.  It was more of letting Cheech know we appreciate his contributions. 
Old 06-05-2009, 11:53 AM
hrd2fnd

No problem, now if only I can figure out how to keep the motor from eating these dang little screws on the cover when I take it off. Just spen the last 1/2 hour fishing it out of the motor.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:23 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: BEARBYSR

How are ya cheech? You missed some awful evader trash talk but thankfully the thread whatchers deleted the posts. As we all know, we are all here to help each other and to have fun, not ridicule. Have you had a chance to run your mamba vader lately?

oh geez you mean i missed a good fight, i would of layed it DOWN... lol. no one talks trash about the vader when im around. the silvader is doing AWSOME got me some 2S lipos and run wild with it. its crazy fast. i will make a vid next time i get me a cam. mine broke and them things are expensive. but all and all, all is good.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:26 PM
cheech4

Hey Dave, the TEC has been missing you! There is still alot of good conversations here. Been a few bad ones also. Anyway, I have been running my ST on the CC SW 4600 and some 2s LiPos. I even have quite a few runs on a 3s LiPo now and I am still running the stock diff and tranny. A year and half ago, I was asking about the CO27 motors, but now thanks to the TEC, I am feeling experienced.

I had a rough day yesterday. My rear chassis plate actually wore so thin from jumping at our track (for 1-1/2 years) that it cracked at the motor guard holes. The very back of it looked like a knife edge. Then on the way back to the house, I dropped my radio and snapped my antenna. Some days are great, some days not so good.
im around , i see the TEC is busy.. to busy sometimes i cant read all them posts, lol . but when i do i do.. just think of me as the guy looking over yall.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Redvanmafia

4600 3s, in a stock evader tranny, you must be a sally:P
Old 06-05-2009, 03:07 PM
BEARBYSR

oh geez you mean i missed a good fight, i would of layed it DOWN... lol.  no one talks trash about the vader when im around. the silvader is doing AWSOME got me some 2S lipos and run wild with it. its crazy fast. i will make a vid next time i get me a cam. mine broke and them things are expensive. but all and all, all is good.
  We held our own Good to hear your doin well. I am lookin forward to some silvervader vid
Old 06-05-2009, 04:04 PM
SacramentoJoe

Yes, lots of posts.  People can't seem to stay away from this thread. 

I can't seem to get my videos uploaded.  They won't work off of my Google Group site after I editted them.  Guess I have to join YouTube.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:35 PM
nitrocomplex1776

Here are the pictures of the graphite pieces the front shock tower has a piece broken off at the bolt but it still holds tight on the other three and even the broken one still holds tight. No electronics haven't figure out if i will be getting rid of them yet and the hardware pieces i am still sorting out but for the most part will be in with the parts when it sells.

I'm asking $40

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.