Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:26 AM
electricrc68
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C.

whoa nice evaders! i like them both. the DT looks bigger than i thought it would.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:22 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

whoa nice evaders! i like them both. the DT looks bigger than i thought it would.
Thanks yea the DT i higher up for all around street and dirt you will be better with the EXT2 it handels better... The DT works good in dirt but on road it don't handel good even when you fine tune all the adjustments .... it's not because of the truck it's because the tires grip way better to the road surface and it makes it flip easier than the ext2 because the ext2 tires will slide out before the truck flips over.... I guess if you had less grippy compound tires for the DT it would handel like a champ on road but with the stock tires you don't get the sidways slide like the ext2 you get massive grip = traction roll!! notice my DT's body all the scratches!.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:29 AM
NoTraxxisRustler

I've got a 4000 MAH bat, that I'm charging @1C.The docs on the Blinky said that one should never charge at high amperage when a cell is below a certain voltage, they made no ref to charging good cells @ 1C.

The drain on the device is 150ohms when discharging, which is obviously lesst than 300ohms . . .and it does balance for a while after charging, although I have never timed it . . . I try tomake sure they are closewhen I put them on to charge . . . . . also charge in a LIPO bag .. . . in my fireplace.

I've got an Onyx charger now, which charges LIPOs on the curve that they require, but no balancing capabilities. At some point, I'll probably spring fora more advanced unit. As with new advanced tech, the cost snowballs!

Thanks
NTR

ORIGINAL: shenlonco

ORIGINAL: NoTraxxisRustler

I have concluded my quest for knowledge. I was originally trying to get a feel for whether Ishould send this Gens Ace Batt. back to HobbyPartz. After ''chatting'' with their ''customer support'' I was no more enlightened.

Using the ''Astro Blinky'' balancer, I knew that it was balancing but Ihad no idea asto what the voltage variations were. I hooked thebalance port into a breadboard thru a 3 pin connector and put the multimeter on it.

After the batt. layed around all day, bc it rained likethe devil in Richmond, it was .03 of a volt off. The blinky balances to within .02. So I'm thinking this is miniscule . . . So I'm changing my LVC slightly (to keep from losing runtime)and just using good practices, such as

- always balancing duringcharge sequence,
- putting it in the LIPObag whencharging
- occasionally hooking up the charge port to the MM, since I don't havea charger that displays voltage

Thanks for allthe input and sorry to cause a fracas!

-NoTraxxis

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

happy 800 pg's ya'll

notraxxis - i run 6.2 to be safe 6.4 would definetally cause you to trip under heavier amp draw and cause you to loose runtime
and as for the tranny stuff i'll get to that some point soonish, i hope...

as for the lipo argument, as long as you put a volt meter to them every now and then you're fine, lipo's are going to float out of balance, as long as they're within .02V you should be fine to run and charge them, however if you have a balance charger, there's no reason not balance and charge, same with the blinky, just balancing while charging should be fine... the only reason to honestly not balance while chargering is if it takes a significant amount of extra time to do so while charging and you're in a rush, and the packs are outta wack as said above, but if the cells are inline then there's nothing to worry about

the lug
Hi NoTraxxisRustler when charging with the blinky for balancing what size pack are you charging and how many amps are you using to charge your pack?
Reason why i am asking because a blinky balancer is not to good to use when charging because it don't have a high enough drain discharge current to keep up with a slightly unbalanced pack being charged at high amprage... blinkys work good on low amp charging like 1 amp for little lipo packs... chargers with the biult in balancers most all have a balancer that dicharges the cells at 300mah that's a lot more than a blinky so when charging lets say a 5000MAH lipo at 5 amps the chargers with the 300mah discharge built in balancers can discharge and make a packs cells get matched much easier.

If using a blinky during charge when charge is done try leaving your blinky on after charge is compleate and wait till the lights show it's fully balanced this may take quite a long time like i said above because a blinky don't have a high dicharge rate.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:16 AM
electricrc68
Banned

Thanks yea the DT i higher up for all around street and dirt you will be better with the EXT2 it handels better... The DT works good in dirt but on road it don't handel good even when you fine tune all the adjustments .... it's not because of the truck it's because the tires grip way better to the road surface and it makes it flip easier than the ext2 because the ext2 tires will slide out before the truck flips over.... I guess if you had less grippy compound tires for the DT it would handel like a champ on road but with the stock tires you don't get the sidways slide like the ext2 you get massive grip = traction roll!! notice my DT's body all the scratches!.
yeah i noticed the scratches! i also saw in many videos of the DT, it kept flipping on turns without even sliding. i have another question about batteries if you don't mind. will this fit in the EXT2 or is it a bit too long?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-5000-8...flat-pack.html
Old 07-07-2011, 09:41 AM
shenlonco

yeah i noticed the scratches! i also saw in many videos of the DT, it kept flipping on turns without even sliding. i have another question about batteries if you don't mind. will this fit in the EXT2 or is it a bit too long?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-5000-8...flat-pack.html

Hi each cell is 23mm od they say so 7 x23mm + 161MM i will have to measure and see it is a large battery.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 AM
shenlonco

Hi NoTraxxisRustler some good brand chargers are thunder power, hyperion, cellpro.

How off is your cells voltage from each other?
Also you can't go by those little plug in volt meters i have a few they are all off you can't trust them for persice measurment you need a good fluke volt meter I use those plug in voltage checkers just for a fast check of a lipo that's all they are realy good for enless it's one of the high end exspensive ones..

You are right if a cell is off voltage alot don't fast charge... another thing you can do is set your charger for 1S and use low amprage 1 amp or less will be better and charge one cell at a time through the balance tap this way you willl know both cells are 100% full if you do this to both cells in the pack... do not attempt to do this if you are not to good at this kind of stuff ..

Also what charger you using?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 AM
shenlonco

electricrc68

Stick with the 6 cell pack the 7 cell pack is kind of long it looks like it my not fit... and anyhow with the stock set up the 7.2V pack will run better the 8.4 will make the motor wear out faster... and i don't recal if the stock esc handels 8.4V anyhow.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

The ext2 can handle the power of 7 cells (esc wise) but the dt has an esc that needs a bigger heatsink for it to work without going into thermal mode. Both can fit the 7 cell with no problems at all.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:05 PM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks guys. i may just try the 6 cell first and maybe see if i can find an inexpensive 7 cell that will fit.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:23 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

Cell variation .02 any given time. The Blink seems to take care of that.Ijust finished a lap session in my back yard and the cells were equally depleted. The batt. was barely warm.

The mm came from Radio Shack. It seems pretty accurate . . .

Onyx 230 . . .

To your point re: charge rate . . . if Icharge @1C and have to wait for 20 minutes to balance, then what's my gain? May charge @.75C and not have to spend as much time balancing.

Still learing, but Ithink my batt. is OK, and I'm pretty confident I wont be burning my house down any time soon.

Thanks
NTR

Hi NoTraxxisRustler some good brand chargers are thunder power, hyperion, cellpro.

Also you can't go by those little plug in volt meters i have a few they are all off you can't trust them for persice measurment you need a good fluke volt meter I use those plug in voltage checkers just for a fast check of a lipo that's all they are realy good for enless it's one of the high end exspensive ones..

You are right if a cell is off voltage alot don't fast charge... another thing you can do is set your charger for 1S and use low amprage 1 amp or less will be better and charge one cell at a time through the balance tap this way you willl know both cells are 100% full if you do this to both cells in the pack... do not attempt to do this if you are not to good at this kind of stuff ..

Old 07-07-2011, 12:25 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: Link119

The ext2 can handle the power of 7 cells (esc wise) but the dt has an esc that needs a bigger heatsink for it to work without going into thermal mode. Both can fit the 7 cell with no problems at all.
wait do you mean the 7 cell that i made a link for, or the one that you have? btw, i see you changed your name

Old 07-07-2011, 12:26 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

hey lug,

Have you found any trick substitutes for the Duratrax turnbuckles?? (I hate popping tose stupid things off!)

I seem to remember some pics that someone posted with some kind of screw on "jobbies"

Thanks
NTR

happy 800 pg's ya'll

notraxxis - i run 6.2 to be safe 6.4 would definetally cause you to trip under heavier amp draw and cause you to loose runtime

as for the lipo argument, as long as you put a volt meter to them every now and then you're fine, lipo's are going to float out of balance, as long as they're within .02V you should be fine to run and charge them, however if you have a balance charger, there's no reason not balance and charge, same with the blinky, just balancing while charging should be fine... the only reason to honestly not balance while chargering is if it takes a significant amount of extra time to do so while charging and you're in a rush, and the packs are outta wack as said above, but if the cells are inline then there's nothing to worry about

the lug
Old 07-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Link119

wait do you mean the 7 cell that i made a link for, or the one that you have? btw, i see you changed your name

Any 7 cell!

Old 07-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Link119

hey lug,

Have you found any trick substitutes for the Duratrax turnbuckles?? (I hate popping tose stupid things off!)

I seem to remember some pics that someone posted with some kind of screw on "jobbies"

Thanks
NTR

happy 800 pg's ya'll

the lug
Maybe the rpm ball cups?http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...hank&search=Go

Old 07-07-2011, 12:37 PM
electricrc68
Banned

Any 7 cell!

you sure? can i have the dimensions of the EXT2 battery tray?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:51 PM
shenlonco

Cell variation .02 any given time. The Blink seems to take care of that. I just finished a lap session in my back yard and the cells were equally depleted. The batt. was barely warm.

The mm came from Radio Shack. It seems pretty accurate . . .

Onyx 230 . . .

To your point re: charge rate . . . if I charge @1C and have to wait for 20 minutes to balance, then what's my gain? May charge @.75C and not have to spend as much time balancing.

Still learing, but I think my batt. is OK, and I'm pretty confident I wont be burning my house down any time soon.

Thanks
NTR

Man .02 of a volt... you have nothing to worry about i thought you talking a huge diferance that's no problem at all.
yes if you charge a little lower amp rate maybe 2 amps or so it will be easier for your blinky to balance it as your charging.
you can get a better external balancer for your charger that will do a better job than the blinky... but to tell you the trouth it's always better to have a charger with it built in so you can see each cells status while charging.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:52 PM
shenlonco

Any 7 cell!

you sure? can i have the dimensions of the EXT2 battery tray?

the gens ace won't fit because it's a side by side pack a stick pack with one cell at the rear will probably fit.
or a hump pack but you can't use them with the stock battery hold down.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:00 PM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks. i may just get the 5000mah 6 cell then....unless if the 7 cell has more speed to it than the 6 cell? because hobbypartz has some dark force NIMH batteries in the correct configuration for the EXT2.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:15 PM
electricrc68
Banned

actually i just thought of a simple modification for the battery strap!!! i can buy a hump pack, and then cut a whole the size of the top cell in the hump pack in the battery strap because the battery strap is wide enough correct?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:51 PM
shenlonco

actually i just thought of a simple modification for the battery strap!!! i can buy a hump pack, and then cut a whole the size of the top cell in the hump pack in the battery strap because the battery strap is wide enough correct?
I don't think that would work.
stick with gensace packs who knows what those dark horse batteries are.
7 cell will be faster but everything will run hotter and your motor won't last as long.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:54 PM
electricrc68
Banned

okay i guess i will stick with the 6 cell gens ace pack then. and then when my photon speed 2 goes out, i could just buy a hpi firebolt 15T if i wanted more speed.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any voltmeter that isn't calibrated at the appropriate intervals will be 'slightly' off, and that includes the internal ones in chargers.

Good advice about charging each cell indpendently if your pack has a cell that is 'off', but as shenlonco said, don't attempt if you aren't completely sure what you are doing.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:57 PM
rclugnut10

hey lug,

I seem to remember some pics that someone posted with some kind of screw on ''jobbies''

Thanks
NTR

happy 800 pg's ya'll

the lug

what link posted are the RPM's and they're a MUCH better cup over all super strong and a lot less flex and such i run them all around... as far as doing something like a captured link...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFPW8&P=SM

as far as mounting goes, the only issue i can see is if the screws are too small with them being a 4-40 thread, when i do believe the stock ball studs are a 2.5mm deal, which isn't huge but if you're allready threaded to 2.5mm you may have some issues not totally sure, and i would'nt fancy finding a 2.5mm bit then drilling those brass balls out...

doing a bit more searching...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJGU2&P=ML

those may actually be what you want, i'm gunna head into the shop in a few once i finish emailing and eating stuffs... and i'll break out the calipers and such....

the lug
Old 07-07-2011, 05:49 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

Thanks lug,

I'm book marking these. Since I'm sort of doing my own stuff with this motor mount mod, I can make it be anything I want.

NTR

uote]ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

hey lug,

I seem to remember some pics that someone posted with some kind of screw on ''jobbies''

Thanks
NTR

happy 800 pg's ya'll

the lug

what link posted are the RPM's and they're a MUCH better cup over all super strong and a lot less flex and such i run them all around... as far as doing something like a captured link...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFPW8&P=SM

as far as mounting goes, the only issue i can see is if the screws are too small with them being a 4-40 thread, when i do believe the stock ball studs are a 2.5mm deal, which isn't huge but if you're allready threaded to 2.5mm you may have some issues not totally sure, and i would'nt fancy finding a 2.5mm bit then drilling those brass balls out...

doing a bit more searching...

those may actually be what you want, i'm gunna head into the shop in a few once i finish emailing and eating stuffs... and i'll break out the calipers and such....

the lug
[/quote]
Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 PM
rclugnut10

So.... the finial verdict on a few things....

Most importantly i like the ST tranny setup with the EXT2 steel idler, works perfectly... this is not on the info site and i won't put it up till i get back from vacation in 2 weeks... yay for camping on an island, can't wiat....

nextly B4 mod, pics are updated, not as good as orginals but they get the point across and are pics and such....

lastly at notraxxis rustler...
I've literally puked the pics you put up onto the tranny swap page... also as far as those links go....

the 3mm bad boys are gunna be what you want, and you wont' have any issues with screw sizes, they also sell those in pairs or something...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJGU1&P=ML

they do run you a pretty peny tho... i do remember seeing talk of traxxas ones but i'm not sure... if you wanna look into it, both the screw and the turn buckle are 3mm....

here's a link to the B4 page....
https://sites.google.com/site/evader...b4-slipper-mod

quickly threw that together nothing specail but it gets the job done, i hope...

sorry for the rambly post, i'm tiredd and doing 100 things at once...
the lug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.