Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Lightdancer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C.

The mambo is nice, but for cheap go with the sidewinder. I just got a gtb novak that needs to be fixed from the factory. I can't wait for that.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:04 PM
mustangrocks2

get a novak 10.5 or 8.5 brushless system i love my xbr combo and its fast enough
Old 04-23-2009, 09:08 PM
mustangrocks2

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWLW8&P=SM try this
Old 04-23-2009, 09:13 PM
airmayle

I'm lost with this brushless?

Some say 10.5 is this turns?
Some say 3000kv what is this?

Thanks Guys
Old 04-23-2009, 09:17 PM
mustangrocks2

i have an exr novak 10.5 which is a 4200 kv i do believe for every volt you put into the motor you get 4200 kv or revolutions i run a max amps 6500 2s lipo 7.4 volt its all you need
Old 04-23-2009, 09:21 PM
mustangrocks2

hey devast8r i love the new spektrum
Old 04-23-2009, 09:31 PM
mustangrocks2

helloooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 04-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Lightdancer
My Feedback: (1)

At my track a lot of people run a 13.5 brushless class. If you want to race at all you might want to look into that.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:16 AM
reppy

You can do easy pay thru Tower hobby, and get the MM 5700 BL. Great buy and crazy fast. I run the MM 5700 and the 7700. 35 to 45 on 5700 and 50- 65 on 7700. De pends on gears and battery i want to play with. Nothing like BL. You will hate to have to go back.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:54 AM
monsterbombs

on the question to go brushless. i have been brushless since ive had my trucks and
bought a lathe and actually went back to brushes. i must admit the response and power
i got from the brushed motors was terrific and better with different battery combos. that
power came with wear and tear, coms, brushes etc. the bird at the hobby shop suggesting
you go brushless is right. alot of hobby shops around me are trying to get people to go brushless,
mostly though because they make more money and are trained to recomend "brushless technology".
even if they have hidden agendas the brushless motors are the way to go. i have had my mamba 6900 for over
2 years and i have people to testify this motor SMOKED tyres regularly. i used to get dumb and hold it while
the tyres smoked.this is when i first got the evader and blew idlers like it was going out of fashion.
i would hold it there and actually smoke the tyres,(habitually) bassically the motor was getting close to burning
everytime i run it because i was negligent.two years later i plug it into my 2s and flogg its guts.
long story short..im not saying brushless motors do burnouts good, or cope with heat that would normally burn a motor.
but with two years of recklace behaviour and a bit of oil on the bearings shes good as gold,
still goes 60mph+ easily,anytime.pays for itself really. (oh sorry i had to solder on a new banana plug last week).
Old 04-24-2009, 09:41 AM
airmayle

Will I still be able to use good Ni-Mh for brushless? Don't have lipo charger or battery, just promatchracing side by side cells 7.2v. Not ready for lipo and I think that was one of the reasons why I did not consider brushless. I had the miss conception that to run brushless you needed to have lipo batteries.

Thank guy's for the help going brushless.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:48 AM
devast8r
My Feedback: (17)

No nicd and nimh will work with brushless just wont run as long.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:02 PM
KaChow
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Fellow T.E.C. Crew;
Just finished with some "MODS" to our 2 Brand New Evader St's delivered from Tower hobbies ,only $99 on sale now,...The RED one is my wife's,Her BIRTHDAY Present,and,I have the Plum Crazy PURPLE Vader,not yet finished,at least to the point of my wife's,I ended up doing all her "Decal" work before I could get to mine,basically was CONNED into it,said she couldn't see well enough to trim the "Sponsor" emblems out of some Car mags I had laying around- I wanted to go for a less "GENERIC / Toy's 'R' Us" style appearance,so came up with an idea to take the small speed equipment manufacturer eblems out of magazines and use "Testor's Clear Adhesive" placed on a Q-Tip,and evenly spread a light coat of glue to the New "DECAL",and place it in the usual Sponsor's spots on the Evaders. The Testor's worked great,didn't soak into the paper and discolor,and set up fast. After it sits for a few hours and is dry,I'll take clear LAQUER Spray and SEAL The Glued on "Sponsor Spots" on the body ,protecting them from dirt,moisture,etc. Worked out kinda' nice! I Especially like the Rear End of the Wife's Evader,..LOL! I have a few to place on my Evader,just have the STOCK Duratrax Stuff on it now. I Also kept reading about how "CHEESY and LAME the WINDOW/WINDSHIELD Decals are,so,I had a Clear Vinyl/Plastic Packaging material from a set of Headphones that I had bought. I saved the Plastic,had a nice sized sheet of it on the back of the package,and thought that I'd find SOMETHING to do with it,...YEP,"REAL" WINDOW GLASS,..haha! Took a utility knife and cut out the window /windshield openings,traced the cut-outs onto the Clear sheet,and,went about !/4" oversize,to be able to SILICONE Glue the windows in from the iside of the body,I left a gap on the door windows,leaving a little added "Ventilation/cooling for the Interior Electronics,so they look COOL and have FUNCTION Also.
Also cut out a small opening in the body in between the Body mount posts and just above the ESC,...I had some Steel Mesh that was once a Preamp Tube Hold-Down/ Protective Cover out of a Guitar amp of mine that was no longer needed. I cut the piece of wire mesh out,oversize like the windows,and Silicon Glued it in place. Being just above the ESC,I Hope that will REALLY IMPROVE Cooling action instead of the heat building up inside the body,causing wear and tear on everything electronic,just a spur of the moment idea I thought of when I saw the Mesh Material when I was going to get my drill.
LASTLY<I ADDED BUMPERS,..After my first "TEST RUN" Outside,I'm GLAD I DID!!! I Came out of a Turn sideways,and,the Evader Hooked up and went right for our stockade fence!! I Let off the throttle,and not being used to this little ROCKET<...I went to blip reverse to get it to stop before slamming into the fence,...Didn't quite make it,the bumper absorbed most of the impact,just cracking the bumper where the mounting screw is
on the right side,and didn't do ANYTHING to the front end,or the Body,..I Kissed the boards pretty Good,and thought I had cracked the Body at the VERY LEAST For Sure!,,,Luckily,the bumper took the bullet [sm=71_71.gif]
Mine is from an old 'El-Cheapy "DRUGSTORE" R/C Dune Buggy ,again,I ALWAYS Save parts off stuff,figure I'll use it for SOMETHING,... The wife's is made with a Heavy Duty Winter Coat PLASTIC HANGER!! mounts are fabricated from a set of "Mini Blind" Brackets,and some parts off a FENDER guitar bridge,ie,some string saddles used as Spacers,..I guess I'm kinda "Going Green" and RECYCLING a bunch of stuff that would otherwise had ended up in the TRASH!! Plus I have alot of time on my hands,I'm a disabled Desert Shield/Storm Vet and can't work due to Spinal Degeneration,nerve damage,so,my only real joy is my R/C Hobby Schtuff!! It keeps me busy,and it's ALOT of FUN!
Ah Well,Going to go check the Backyard track for any Canine "Landmines",lol,and Do some practice laps.
Hope you like the pics and Have a GREAT Weekend!!
Bob
East Hanover,NJ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62525.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1186446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12199.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1186447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz31278.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1186448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik90354.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1186449  
Old 04-24-2009, 01:23 PM
sam rojas

looks sweet. another recycle idea for making lite-weight aluminum bumbers using the discs that cover up the holes for recessed lighting. cut em up with tin snips, hammer flat, drill a couple holes - and presto - bumber. -make sure you file down the edges - cut the sht out of ya. come out real thin so mounting is flush like stock bumbers. Love to see the canabalizing. lol. first thing I'm doing when I get home tonight from work is chop out the crappy black windows on the ST and throw some plastic netting in.

btw - only thing you should work on next is some pimped wheels - those whites are bringing down the vibe on those rides.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:47 PM
SacramentoJoe

Hey KaChow, I love it!

I think the stories about the fabrications are almost as cool as the actual modifications.

Yeah, that $100 is a hard to resist offer because I could always use a spare truck. It would help me from having to stock so many spare parts.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:49 PM
KaChow

I hear ya Sam,Thanks for the Bumper Tip also!! The "Hi-Impact" plastic bumper hasn't been put up against my wife's driving skills though till now,...lol,....S-h-h-h-,don't tell her I said anything,ok,...but,looks like I'll be "pre-ordering" some parts to have on hand just in case[sm=tired.gif]! Yeah,I already have my eye on some cool 2.2's,and different tires,,I want to have a set of good off-road and a set of Street ,these babies really surprised me as far as "OOOMPH"! Been kicking up Rooster tails,and "Dirt Drifting" in my back yard today for the first real paces,I HAD A BLAST!!
Have fun with the windows,I used a regular utility knife with a new blade,the material they used is really TOUGH! I just kept slowly scoring then,worked throug on one side,then just scored the 2 sides and the side opposite the one that I cut through,and it pretty much popped out without a problem,You may have a Dremel,or other power hobby cutter to make it even easier,that's my NEXT Investment!ALSO,The ELMER'S "STIX-ALL" silicone adhesive worked GREAT with the windows,I just set them in,put some masking tape in a couple of spots,especially where there was any curvature in the opening. I figured that was the best,since the silicone would bond STRONG,and stay Flexible,so when the body flexes,so does the "Glass".
Ah Well,have to go put MY "Sponsor Decals " on that I cut out last night,but,after finishing my wife's 'Vader,I was too tired.
Have a GREAT WEEKEND SAM!
Thanks Again!!
Bob
Old 04-24-2009, 06:50 PM
monsterbombs

ORIGINAL: airmayle

Will I still be able to use good Ni-Mh for brushless? Don't have lipo charger or battery, just promatchracing side by side cells 7.2v. Not ready for lipo and I think that was one of the reasons why I did not consider brushless. I had the miss conception that to run brushless you needed to have lipo batteries.

Thank guy's for the help going brushless.
many people assume lipo batteries are required for brushless. this is why,
nimh packs and nicad work well but sometimes older packs cant handle the
drain of brushless. brushless drains alot of power from the batteries,i use to
make my own nimh packs and that was great fun. also for about a year i
only ran it on my 4200intellect stick packs that was good as i got used to it.i was
making big batteries like 14cell 20 volts+,just stupid. seeing how far i could push it.
i found the best amount of cells to be nine. around 14volts kept me happy,but seeing
as i recently bought a swallow eq charger(charges pretty much anything) i thought,
yeh lets give this lipo stuff a crack.me and my mate went home from the hobby shop and thought
it was broken because it wasnt charging.(didnt hook up deans only the balancer)
anyway, its only a 7.4v 4600 2s.
[X(]
wholy cow. it pushes my mamba so hard, right to the end of the rpm range. its like
when i was on nimh it was just cruisin around, now it screams.i would reccomend
you stay with nimh for now (i still use mine) if you get brushless,and get used to it
because as soon as you go lipo things get messy. it just discharges the power that the
motor wants, whenever it wants, hard. the only downside is my runtime but i get 10-15
mins of savage dog. then cut off.
i cant believe now i am the one telling people to go lipo. my old bosses mate
who loves helis always bagged on me about my truck."go lipo" he would
scream out when i used to take my truck out.he was right.
the difference is day and night.not for beginners though.
are my posts getting longer? lol

Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 PM
KaChow

ORIGINAL: SacramentoJoe

Hey KaChow, I love it!

I think the stories about the fabrications are almost as cool as the actual modifications.

Yeah, that $100 is a hard to resist offer because I could always use a spare truck. It would help me from having to stock so many spare parts.
Thanks Joe! I had alot of fun doing the stuff,it's as much fun for me to mod 'em,as it is to Drive 'em. I Just can't believe how STURDY the Evaders are,and along being upgradeable to 60+ MPH,though,for my Backyard,25 mph seems like 120 !!! I think when I get my other set of rims and Street tires,I may "JUICE it a bit,just Battery upgrades,no Lipo,just bigger NiCad,or NiMH,My Dad always said,"If it AIN'T BROKE,...DON'T FIX IT", I figure I'll maybe buy another Evader if they stay on sale a little bit longer,and MAYBE,just turn it into a Stret Runner,with the power this baby showed I think it'll be A HANDFUL with a Bigger Battery alone,and CHEAPER to Hop-Up that way too!! The way bI see it,if I'm going to spend over 2 or 3 hundred bucks on an R/C Vehicle,I'd better be able to SIT IN IT and RIDE,..LOL!!
Anyway,Happy you got a kick out of my 'Vaders,and HOPE you have a chance to get outside this weekend and "PLAY!!!
Talk to you later Joe,
Bob
Old 04-24-2009, 07:34 PM
retrosoul

does the evader and rc10gt use the same size dog bones and cvd bones?
Old 04-24-2009, 08:15 PM
airmayle

Thanks guy's for all the response to brushless. This is what I have in mind. Still going keep with Ni-Mh for now.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWLW8&P=0
Old 04-24-2009, 09:58 PM
SacramentoJoe

So, here is my latest story. This week I received my first LiPos, Zippy 2S and 3S with a Turnigy charger (nothing but the expensive stuff for my Evader). I was really excited about racing the 2S and then trying to set a new neighborhood electric speed record with the 3S. We have been using Tenergy NiMH for more than a year.

Last night I put in the 2S and within 5 minutes I thought that I had blown another diff/tranny and pulled everything apart. I found nothing wrong. After closer inspection, I found that my CC SW 4600 motor had a busted motor bearing. I sent that back to CC today.

In the mean time, I installed my old CO27 and just tried it with the 2S LiPo. Wow! That ol’ motor just might make this weekend fun after all. It doesn’t have the top speed, but it takes off pretty darn fast with a good battery pushing it! [sm=punching.gif]
Old 04-25-2009, 01:45 AM
monsterbombs

ORIGINAL: retrosoul

does the evader and rc10gt use the same size dog bones and cvd bones?
im pretty sure the associated stuff is imperial and the evader is metric or
visa versa.

i found lipo to make a huge impact on brushless performance, but with a brushed
motor the 2s just seems like a 6cell nimh. i personally think nimh is better for brushed
motors.just my 2c.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:13 AM
devast8r

Depends on your setup. My 12t brushed setup only runs 4mins. on a 3300mah nimh. It runs for nearly 30 on my 3700mah lipo.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:38 AM
KaChow

QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS,...If anyone is at the Computer this weekend and not outside Berm Bashing,! haha
I have some nerve damage and arthritus affecting my hands/fingers,and if you have any problems like mine,you KNOW what a ***** it can be,and how FRUSTRATING it ALWAYS IS to try to assemble small parts,pick up 1/8" od flat washers,thread a nut onto a small screw in beteen a couple of pieces of model frame,etc. OK,case in point,...THOSE DAMN SPRING PIN BODY Clips WHEN I FINALLY get the things in place ,after turning on the transmitter,plugging in the Battery pack,turning on the ESC.,.etc.,I Probably already need to CHARGE UP THE NiCad Again,LOL!! Seriously,Now I have a few pieces of pipe cleaner placed through the clip "LOOP", Twist it once,and then Tape the ends,so not to scratch up the body paint when it's bouncing around the track.
DOES ANYONE have any suggestions/Solutions that they've come up with for the clips and those of us who don't have the Dextarity they once did.
Thanks For any help
Oh ,here are another couple of shots of the new 'Vader,and the "Finished" product,MINUS the RIM and TIRE Upgrades,(Thanks Sam! haha!)(I Know I'll NEVER Be FINISHED,there will always be SOMETHING to Fix,or another NEAT IDEA I hear of or come up with,...like "Clear Window glass",or Magazine cut-out "SPONSOR DECALS",haha! I Just had alot of fun doing it,that I CAN'T STOP Myself![sm=idea.gif] )
Take care and THANKS IN ADVANCE EVERYBODY,HAVE A NICE WEEKEND,..it's gonna be Sunny and 85 In JERSEY Today and Tomorrow,...YEEHAW!!
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83942.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1186837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze84984.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1186838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx24003.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1186839  
Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 PM
devast8r

Hey guys are there aluminium suspension arms for a st?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.