RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:05 AM
monsterbombs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C.

i have had al shock towers for my st on backorder since before xmas. i just have to be more careful i guess.
youre right the nuts and bolts on the front are grinding down. oh well, good fun.

on chargers i dunno how much you can get them for in the states, but i have a swallow eq. it was under $200 aus
i think. charges eveything :1-6 cells lipo/lion, 1-14 cells nimh/nicd,1-6 cells lead acid.maybe a bit of overkill,
runs off ac/dc power too. awseome.

and i thought i might share a bit of knowledge,anyone running nitro cvds and losing/breaking pins? my lhs
had piano wire,tight fit, but i got about a metre and just cut some off when i need it.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:23 AM
rclugnut10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah i have had the same problem, i got some new ones but i may go back to canibalizing body clips, and cutting down small nails...

the lug
Old 03-03-2009, 11:51 AM
SacramentoJoe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
and i thought i might share a bit of knowledge,anyone running nitro cvds and losing/breaking pins? my lhs
had piano wire,tight fit, but i got about a metre and just cut some off when i need it.
I wore out the pins on my dogbones (the ones at the tranny)and just last weekend replaced them with a standard size spring pin from the local Ace Hardware that were a little bit bigger than the metric size but fit perfectly snug. I think they were 3/32".
Old 03-03-2009, 02:29 PM
chajones

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: nitrozach54

The only way I could fit my DTX 6 cell was to remove the spacer..
You had to remove your spacer to get a 6 cell stick in your car?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:04 PM
nitrozach54

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah...
this batt:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKHJ8&P=ML
Old 03-03-2009, 03:09 PM
SacramentoJoe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is the same battery configuration we use. The foam just needed to be compressed a bit.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:23 PM
mustangrocks2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i put heat shrink tubing over the cvd joints, just in cause the pin comes loose it wont wear a groove in the control arm , also with heat skrink you can put graphite at the pivot points and keep it in there
Old 03-03-2009, 05:26 PM
monsterbombs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

while were on the subject of batteries,does anyone have a preference for side by side vs.
stick packs? are the side by sides more for racing? ive had like 3 stick packs burnout on
the connectors(between battteries) and ended up pulling them apart and making SxS.
if u wanna know a batterie that really hauls, i made it. 9cell4600. if you end up making
batteries, a 6cel SxS fits under the holder and you can just have an "odd" or "offset"
couple of batteries.

anyone make there own packs?.i wanted to experiment more with nimh cells, but got
lipo.after 9 cells the power doesnt go up much more, it just heats up quick. i was
soldering my packs together with bits of rod i used, to rod out radiators.[sm=sad_smile.gif]
Old 03-03-2009, 05:29 PM
nitrozach54

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sorry, made a mistake[:'(]
Old 03-03-2009, 06:00 PM
rclugnut10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my issue with CVD's now is the accual joints are getting crazy worn down like you can turn the wheel about 3/8 of turn freely... so i gotta get another set of CVDs at some point... but i'll leave um till i bust a gear somehwere as for SxS packs being better i think they are because they offer more contact area with the tab, to go onto the cell so less resistance, and you can put them on discharge trays and such which is cool and better for the cells, hence why they use them in racing

the lug
Old 03-04-2009, 09:48 PM
monsterbombs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thought as much, i prefer my SxS packs anyway.The cvds do end up getting flogged out after while,whatever is put in there has to be tight,
a loose pin/nail will flog it out more because of the movement.when you get new ones i would check the grub screw,maybe even pull it out
and thread lock it,over tightening them obviously bends pins and causes them to break. my evader is sitting looking at me with a broken shock
tower. i jus wanna take it out for a rip [&o]
Old 03-04-2009, 10:13 PM
mykull

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello Evader buddies.

Well I have promised the wife that I am now officially DONE buying stuff for my two main trucks. One is a street only machine... and the other is my basher.

I have been buying up some rollers here and there.. to upgrade my 2 with some better parts and what not. And tonight I have run into a issue with my street evader. It pretty much is built with a bunch of Aluminum.. and today I scored some front aluminum arms for it. I have a aluminum front bulk head.. and I had to FORCE both arms onto the bulk head. They FIT.. but they barely move. I can push the truck down.. but it doesn't bounce back up... not even the shocks are moving to allow them to bounce back up.

I have included a few images here to see if any of you might have a suggestion on what I can do in order to make these have some play room so that they act normally. As right now they just stick in one spot.... and I have to physically bring them back down to normal position.

My second question is.. I also received some extra tires and rims.. and I have here some HPI rims. I have never used anything other then Duratrax versions of rims.. so these with adapters and rings is all new. So of course there are some broken parts but I have no clue on what I would have to get in order to replace these parts.. and what size bearings...etc. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10199.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1150549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84377.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1150550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45769.jpg
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1150551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75501.jpg
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1150552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79176.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1150553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51786.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1150554  
Old 03-04-2009, 10:43 PM
rclugnut10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my advice is TRY to file the aluminum. a bit the tabs that the pin goes thru, but if you can't take a bit off the arms, and a little lube may help, i recomend STRONGLY odnelles O'lube
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSXB3&P=Z

stuff is GREAT

the lug
Old 03-04-2009, 11:08 PM
mykull

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks lug... I think I'll for sure try the filing.... as its a really tight fit that I don't think lube will hold up. I'll still look into that lube though. Thanks
Old 03-04-2009, 11:45 PM
FairTax4me

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Front wheel bearings are 3/8 x 3/16 I believe. Have no clue what that other thing is in the pics.

The Arms I'd get some fine sand paper (1000 grit maybe), and just gently sand down the inner part of the arm The finer grit will take a while longer, but you'll get a smooth surface with the finer paper. A smooth surface is what you want to help prevent any binding later on.

And I'll second the O'Lube. That stuff is awesome. Smells kinda funny, like turpentine with vanilla air freshener, but it sure works.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:57 AM
monsterbombs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

wholy moly that whole car is alloy,lol nice ride man.looks like a mamba lurking underthere? i would file/grind it too. them rims have a lot of pieces,
has me confused.If you dont mind me asking, what are you running and what speeds are you getting? nice to see pics of a real killer vader. :thumbsup:
i have trouble with steering at high speed- tourque steer, i have to let off the gas when turning.how does yours handle?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:16 PM
mykull

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Evaderholic.... yah... that Aluminum version of my evader is my street machine (its not fully alloy yet, but close to it). It hasn't seen the street yet since I installed the Mamba 5700 on it. I just finished putting in all the upgrades to the Tranny to hold up to brushless as best as possible.. but I'm sure I'll have a fun machine to play with once the snow melts enough for me to get out there... not to mention the cold up here in Canada.

I'm for sure going to try out hopefully this weekend the filing suggestion of the arms.. I'm sure that will more or less help out... I'm sure to since I was able to put them onto the alloy bulk head that there really isn't to much to take off of them in order to allow them to bounce.

The rims for sure have me confused.... I love the look of them... and I have another set with the same issue with the broken ring type things that go over the bearings.. I just have no clue what they are or where to get them to replace these.

With regards to the steering at high speeds.. the fastest motor I had on that was only a 10 turn... with a LRP AI esc... which sucked by the way.. but anyway.. with a 4200 battery it ran great.. cornered great to.. but I'm sure I'll have something to say about that once I play with the mamba.

thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:53 PM
geo8498

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Picked up the DTX Onyx 220 at Hobbytown today. I finally got a good charge on my 3300 pack. My MRC595 is pretty much shot.
I'm cycling my 3800 pack right now. That pack should be in good shape, as I only bought it last season, and haven't run it much.

I have an older 3000 pack waiting in the wings, I may be able to breathe life into it.

So I finally got a good spin around the block with the traxxas brushless. Dark out, but good enough to tell my battery is good, and my brushless setup is good.
I think I can play with 6 cells for a month or so before I feel the need to go to 7. Maybe I can find matching single cells to add to each of my packs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cz79743.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1151036  
Old 03-05-2009, 08:18 PM
rclugnut10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my sw 4600 is more than enuf on 6 cells 7 would be like beast power i think...

the lug
Old 03-06-2009, 12:46 AM
monsterbombs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my truck corners ok from the suspension mods ive done, but at like 70-80kmh+ the front tyres just skid.but how many people take there
evader to an empty lot to break sound barriers anyway?lol. them rims are sweet mykull, they look a bit like the ones off a e firestorm. i love
those wheels. maybe the other parts arnt nessercary?

lugnut whats sw? i use to run intellect 4600 and 4200, them batteries are sweet!thats what i made a 9cell out of and it keeps up to my 2slipo
with more runtime. my mate has a velineon system the tourque is crazy,and seemed industructible. Till we geared it to the moon and run 9 cells,
it hauled alright and fryd the speedy(lasted 6-8runs).Maybe too much tourque if ur not careful[>:] (on the evader tranny).(Ive heard really good things about the
5700 mamba too.

keep us posted on those brushless animals
Old 03-06-2009, 08:38 AM
rclugnut10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sw 4600= sidewinder 4600, my last good bash with it, weas geared 22/88 PL badlands out back, and it was a beast, pretty damn fast, and insane traction... i mean not a SINGLE dougnut, and i tried. thats how amazing these tires are, and it wasn't that the motor wasn't laying the power down it was, wheelied pretty easy and if not for the body being as long as it is, it've been on its roof many a time, its pretty bad when you're body is your wheelie bar.... in my B4 with my sidewinder i was probally doig 30 mph easy and that was geared 18/87 (i didn't have the proper gears) it should've been 20/81... MUAHHAHAHAHA this is all on 6 cells.....

and if you're worried about weight on with all the Al parts look into the graphite parts they weigh a lot less than the stock ones, and are a little cheaper than the Al's, and after 2 years only busted 1 a-arm YAY

the lug
Old 03-06-2009, 04:01 PM
nitrozach54

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just had my first run on my "new" ST PRO!
I ran my sidewinder 5700, 6 cells, and 14t pinion. It was pretty nice. Now I have an ST, ST PRO, and an EXB. Lots of vaders!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:57 PM
BEARBYSR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is a couple pics of my vader (playin with my new camera), finally warm enough to take some runs outside without snappin parts from the cold. I feel like a slowpoke compared to you guys with the brushless moters. I am still runnin my Orion v2 19t but still a blast to run this truck. I mostly run nitro's now but always love to run the elec. vader(the nieghbors like the electric better too I don't get the nicest looks from them when I fire up a big block nitro engine first thing in the mornin).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Qo41030.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1151644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90885.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1151645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83935.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1151646  
Old 03-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Scooter30

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I found out the hard way today that it's NOT a good idea to drive the Evader around with the ESC bouncing around unsecured. Gotta order a new one now.

Any suggestions for a decent ESC that's not horribly expensive?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:59 PM
rclugnut10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Scooter30

I found out the hard way today that it's NOT a good idea to drive the Evader around with the ESC bouncing around unsecured. Gotta order a new one now.
LOL I DID THAT once too i was wondernig what those lights were on the side of my car cuz it was kinda dark out.... but yeah mine lived, its taken some good abuse, been banged around, mud, snow... you know the works

the lug

Search this Thread