Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

high end sensored brushlesses?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 12:30 PM
wetzelpretzel425

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high end sensored brushlesses?

well i have some money and i was thinking about investing in a high end sensored brushless i was looking at the sphere and the gtb i think i like the fact that the sphere can handle up to 7 cellsmakes me want that esc but i was wondering if i cold run the velociti 4.5 on the sphere and also is the best neo motor faster than the velociti 4.5?

if i get the sphere and then either the best neo motor or the 4.5 what speeds and runtime's will i expect with an evader with bearing and of coarse the idler gear?

thanx

-brandon
Old 03-04-2006, 12:37 PM
-Inverted-

Default RE: high end sensored brushlesses?

Speed is a variable, which can be changed by gearing, type of cells, and number of cells. It really depends on what your putting this is, if it's for a stadium truck or buggy you wont want the 4.5.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:45 PM
wetzelpretzel425

well its for a rustler and why wouldent the 4.5 be a good motor. but since i dont know much about these motors i guess then that that leaves the sphere with the neo 4 star i would most likley be running the ib 3800's 7 cell hump pack. and maybe if it would be ok on the electronice mainly the esc and motor a sanyo 2400 would those cells be able to power up the 4 star or would it not be good fot it. anf that for all your help im kinda new to the brushless world.

-brandon
Old 03-04-2006, 01:01 PM
-Inverted-

K, I know what your thinking, you want SPEED so you think, lets get the fastest motor available , but there are other options you need to consider.

1. Torque, that motor was made for speed, not torque; so if you do any offroading thats a bad choice.
2. I reccomend a high mah battery for bashing, maybe look into the maxamp 4k's, but the IB3800 or IB4200 would also be good choices.
3. For the best combination of speed and torque, I reccomend the LRP sphere and Reedy neo-one 3 star.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:11 PM
wetzelpretzel425

k thank u and also would the run times on the neo 3 star be more significant than lets say the neo 4 star?

thanx and now that u have pinted out the tourqe factor i think that the 3 star would be a great choice i just want to be able to hit 35 to 40 like on comand is that possible with the neo 3 star?

thanx for your help

-brandon
Old 03-04-2006, 01:29 PM
-Inverted-

Yes,
the neo-one 3 star will supply longer run times then the 4 star. It should get 35mph easily, most likely 40mph.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:12 PM
darthballs

correct me if im wrong but brushless motors dont work like brushed motors the lower the wind the higher the torque. for a two wheel drive the 4 star and the 4.5 would be uncontrolable
Old 03-04-2006, 06:42 PM
-Inverted-

No,
the higher the wind the higher the torque. BTW the 4 star is a 7t motor, the novak 4.5 is a 4.5t motor.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:12 AM
MONSTARUSTA

I agree with cadi on this one.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:22 AM
aangelet

I run a Novak GTB/5.5r brushless system in my RC10T4. I don't know about all of that "higher turns giving more torque" thing.

I have both the 5.5r and the 5800. I think the 5800 is an 8.5 turn motor. I can say that the 5.5r puts out lots more torque than the 5800 does. I'm talking in the context of a stadium truck or buggy.

When running the 5.5r with the GTB, the truck is really hard to control. When you get in the dirt and you get to anything more than half throttle, it's really hard to just keep the truck going straight. For that matter, it's really hard to keep it going straght on the concrete as well. From a dead stop, you really have to watch not to flip the car because it wheelies so badly. While under hard acceleration, the slightest bump will bring the front wheels off of the ground and the butt end is all over the place on take off. Driving with the 5.5 is more of an exercise in restraint than anything else. It takes very judicious use of the throttle to drive it effectively. If you just want to bang around, the 5.5 (or something similar) may be the thing for you. Just don't count on being able to steer it much. Racing it will be challenging to say the least.

The GTB/5800 combo is another story though. It does have lots of power. More than enough power to be effective on a tight track. The great thing about the 5800 is that it's an easier drive. It's actually more fun. You don't have to worry so much about wheelies off the line and full throttle acceleration is easier to get to. It's just plain easier to drive.

I don't have any personal experience with the LRP brushless system. The thing that pushed me to Novak was the customer service and the fact that the GTB doesn't have a turn limit whether you are going brushed or brushless.

If you are going to be putting this into a buggy or stadium truck, I wouldn't even consider the 4.5r system (or anything similar to it). It's going to be like trying to drive a Vega conversion with a big block in it.

I'd stick with either a 5800 system, or maybe even one of the newer 7.5r systems.

I'm still glad that I got the 5.5r. It is fun from the insane point of view and I get nice chuckles at the track with it. It really freaks the nitro guys out when I just walk away from them on the straights, when I can keep it going straight. From a racing standpoint, I'd choose the 5800 over the 5.5.

If you're just dead set on something faster than you really need, I'd just go with the 6.5r. The 5.5r is just plain too much motor.

I'm relatively new to the electric R/C hobby, but I learned something very quickly. All of the fussing over brands of nimh batteries with their capactiy ratings and having to worry about whether they were zapped or matched isn't worth the trouble.

If you're going to drop the money on a nice brushless system, go ahead and invest in a Lithium Polymer battery setup too. I run a Thunder Power 8000mAh LiPo pack and use a Duratrax Ice charger to charge it. This is the only way to go if you're running a high performance brushless system and it's the only way to insure that your motor will get all of the current that it needs at any given time. With the 5.5, I'm getting at least 30 minutes of runtime, and with the 5800 I can't tell you how much runtime I get. I get tired of driving the truck before the battery goes dead. With the Ice charger and two batteries, I'm almost never waiting around for a battery to charge.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:28 AM
aangelet

Oh, something else I forgot to mention. The really low turn motors are really meant for on road cars that use foam tires. With the 5.5 on my T4, I really have to watch the throttle. I'm running a 17/87 gear combo and I really have to watch it on loose terrain and while in the air during jumps. I've often torn the tires loose from the rims. The ballooing is pretty bad with the 5.5. It makes gearing a nightmare.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:04 AM
wyattburp

With my T4 and GTB 5.5, I get amazing speed and torque for sure. I wouldn't say it's uncontrollable though. I currently hear either a 15 or 16 pinion with stock 87 spur. I've had nothing but positive experiences with the speed of the 5.5.

Also, from what I've heard from a local friend, the 4.5 also has plenty of torque for offroad applications. If my 5.5 pops instant wheelies on demand, I don't see why the 4.5 wouldn't be fine...The faster the better, I say. Learn to control the vehicle and you'll have endless fun!
Old 03-05-2006, 11:43 AM
wetzelpretzel425

well im going to the lhs soon and the guy said he would let me run his stampede with a 5.5 in it i figure if i cant control the 5.5 in a pede then i might get the 6.5 for the rusty but if i can control it im gunna get the 4.5 and then just learn to control the throttle
Old 03-05-2006, 12:10 PM
cavfighter

I have to agree with aangelet on this one. I havnt ran the novaks but the sphere/neo 2 is as fast as I need. If you punch it in my T4 it is hard as hell to control. you actually have to get a run first and still sometimes it will break the tires loose and get sideways. on 7 cells I am pushing really close to 40 I will have to strap my gps on it and see what I get. The thing is a rocket but in the dirt a handfull to control.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Flyojumper

It might just be heresy but when faced with "too much" of a motor given the surface traction, why don't you just use the ETA on the radio as well as the throttle/torque setting on the ESC to adjust to a confortable level?
I think it's better to have too much and dial out some than not have enough...
If someone can point out some problems/drawbacks to those, please do so.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:16 PM
MONSTARUSTA

I love to just bash And I'm all for uncontrollable power if you know how to use it. And who wouldn't like more power than you can use?
Old 03-05-2006, 12:39 PM
wetzelpretzel425

well thats what i was thinking if i get the 4.5 i can just dial out some of the power it has because i would agree it to much power to handle so if i do get the 4.5 then i can dial it out and as i become a better driver ad more power.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:45 PM
-Inverted-

Id choose the LRP sphere as it can handle 7 cells, the GTB cant. The LRP/reedy 3 star would be fine then just get a 7 cell battery if yo need more speed.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:04 PM
R/C fan-addict

well the sphere/neo costs a bit more than the GTB/4.5. Then you have to consider if you'll actually use the 7th cell feature on the sphere (if you already have lots of 6 cell packs you might not want to rip it open to solder on another cell). Then you have to consider that a sphere on 7cells and some neo motor will probably not go any faster than a GTB/4.5/5.5 on 6 cells
Old 03-05-2006, 04:34 PM
aangelet

I actually gave this thread some thought last night.

As I said above, I really like my Novak setup. The hard pill to swallow with brushless is getting that ESC which can approach $200 in cost, but once you get that, the motors really don't cost much more than a decent brushed motor. Besides, all of the money that you save not having to do maintenance on the motor will easily justify getting a second motor.

My final advise would be to get one first and then follow up with the other. I'd get the 5.5 (or similar) first. That way you kind of get over the initial thrill of the power and will be ready for a more sane motor. If you shop around, you could get the GTB/5.5 setup and a 5800 for less than $300.

I tried using my remote to throttle back on the 5.5, but running the 5800 feels better than the 5.5 throttled back. It must have something to do with the particular torque curve of each motor relative to rpms. Then again, I may just be a dummy. It just feels different to me.

With my 5.5, I can back off of the slipper to keep the front end down and keep from spinning out all over the place, but my truck sounds like it's crying most of the time when I do that.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:13 PM
raz54

I ordered the novak SS4300, if that motor is not fast enough the esc that comes with it will also run the SS5800 motor and that's the cheapest part of the setup, about $75.00
Old 03-05-2006, 07:52 PM
R/C fan-addict

you can get a GTB for $145 on tower (the $25 off deal, how much I paid for mine) and then pay $80 or less for a motor and it can handle the 4.5, 5.5, 6.5, 7.5, SS5800, and SS4300 which gives you more choice over the sphere which only has 4 motor choices.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:07 PM
MONSTARUSTA

The sphere can handle any sensored motor you pulg in to it thats 5.5 turns or above and can handle 7-cells! So wheres the comparison with the gtb? no offense
Old 03-05-2006, 09:50 PM
aangelet

Rusty,

You said it. "Where is the comparison?" The sphere has a turn limit and the GTB doesn't. If being able to run 7 cells is the deal maker/breaker for you, then go with it. I run a LiPo cell and it has as much as, if not more, kick than any 7 cell nimh pack. Of course I have to make that statement from the side of my mouth. I've never run 7 cells in my truck, but have run against others running 7 cells. Besides, 7 cells aren't allowed at my track.

IMO, if the NEO system's only advantage is that it can run 7 cells, it isn't even a consideration for me. Besides, the GTB system runs very strongly on 6 cells and super strongly on a LiPo pack.

Of course, the whole Novak versus Sphere debate is all a matter of preference. They are both good enough and that is proven by the fact that there are so many people who like each of the systems. The Novak was just the right one for me. I like the fact that I can now just order the 4.5r for more insaneness if I choose to. Who knows, the 3.5r or 2.5r may be just around the corner. This is something that the sphere crowd can't look forward to.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:22 PM
-Inverted-

I doubt novak will be making anything lower then 4.5 turns, anything lower is just impractical.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.