Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

motor problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 08:56 PM
dmanero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor problems

Ok, here the deal I rebuilt my yokomo D1 spec drift car , cause I added some alum parts. not when i turn it on to test. The steering it fine but when I apply pressure on the controller for the throttle, it only runs for a second or two and no where near full power. does any body have an idea what could be wrong, it the motor burnt out or is there a problem wiht my esc.

Please help.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 11:57 PM
gunnut

Default RE: motor problems

It sounds like something may be binding in the drivetrain. Is this shaft or belt driven? Since you just rebuilt it, there could be just one little thing out of place or rubbing somewhere. Check your gear mesh too. Does it quit on you after a few seconds? There could be so much drag that it's thermalling your ESC
Old 04-01-2006, 12:34 AM
MuffinMan06

This happened to me once... I took out the motor and there was a friggin screw in there!! The armature turns until the screw stops it from turning more. Then the esc got overheated and smoke came pouring out... And the suggestion above should work too
Old 04-01-2006, 12:42 AM
gunnut

Yeah good call I forgot about that possibility. That's happened to me once and my bro at least once. Now I'm paranoid about setting my motors down anywhere! metal shavings and screws love to find their way into the can!
Old 04-01-2006, 12:48 AM
dmanero

thanks for the feedback but, Stupid me I figured out the prblem and it had to be the one thing you woulg not think of. It turned out to be the battery was low. Strange though because the Steering was working fine.

Anyway thanks.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:52 AM
-Inverted-

The servo's require alot less power to operate then the motor.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:58 AM
MuffinMan06

oh okay glad to hear no probs. I need to get some CF/ aluminum parts for my xxx-s for some bling hehe