Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Dark Impact Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 06:45 AM
positron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Dark Impact Thread

take the spur cover off, hold the buggy and give it some throttle see if the spur is spinning,if the spurs spinning, its the diff. pull the diff out, jam something in each outdrive cup like it shows in the manual, the diff gear should be tight enough so you have to put a fair bit of force on it with your fingers to rotate it.

check the thrust bearing is healthy also
Old 09-26-2010, 02:28 PM
glancyguy
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the advice. Thanks also for your patience if this is a rudimentary question as this is the first time I have serviced a ball diff since I was 13 and had my first RC10 in the 80's.

The thrust bearing looks intact and I examined all bearings. Nothing was binding. I put the gear box back together and locked the diff. I then locked the outdrives with allen wrenches. I was not able to rotate the spur gear. I then repeated the same exercise after I loosened the diffs 1 full turn. I was able to easily rotate the spur with the diff outdrives locked. It seemed too easy. This leads me to believe that there is some kind of wear in the diff gear.

I am sorry to be persistent, but the frustrating part in all of this is that I don't know what a worn diff looks like and how well the diff balls *should* seat in the diff gear.

I'd like to be crystal clear before I have to order the parts from Hong Kong, wait 2 weeks, and find out that the new diff gear did not solve the problem.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:26 PM
littlebuddha
My Feedback: (17)

ran the car today with the brushless setup - lost a rear dogbone after 2 minutes so waiting for universals, aluminum wheel hex and rear brace from rcmart. I was looking at some lipo batteries to fit my dark impact, as well as my tb02 and tb01 and ta03.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXLJ0&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUUE5&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYKT6&P=0

i think a rounded pack would be a great fit but i would love a 5000mah + capacity, although with an efficient brushless I'm not sure if it will make too much of a difference. I like venoms lifetime waranty/guarantee on its cells. Does anyone have these batteries and does it fit well? Thanks.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:13 AM
860Crawler

The middle one might not fit with that top/center placement of the leads. The other two look like they should work alright since they are configured like a standard stick pack.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:48 AM
positron

ORIGINAL: glancyguy

Thanks for the advice. Thanks also for your patience if this is a rudimentary question as this is the first time I have serviced a ball diff since I was 13 and had my first RC10 in the 80's.

The thrust bearing looks intact and I examined all bearings. Nothing was binding. I put the gear box back together and locked the diff. I then locked the outdrives with allen wrenches. I was not able to rotate the spur gear. I then repeated the same exercise after I loosened the diffs 1 full turn. I was able to easily rotate the spur with the diff outdrives locked. It seemed too easy. This leads me to believe that there is some kind of wear in the diff gear.

I am sorry to be persistent, but the frustrating part in all of this is that I don't know what a worn diff looks like and how well the diff balls *should* seat in the diff gear.

I'd like to be crystal clear before I have to order the parts from Hong Kong, wait 2 weeks, and find out that the new diff gear did not solve the problem.
at least you dont have to build the thrust bearing like the rc10, you should set the tension of the diff while its outside of the vehicle, maybe I was being unclear but it shows how to do it in the manual,

I finally got some decent tyres for mine today, and mounted them on my white rims, only got 10 mins out of it before the battery was flat, my lipo charger is broken

managed to make a short video though
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYBY329LZF0[/youtube]

Old 09-29-2010, 06:36 AM
860Crawler

nice vid!

How do you like the new rubber?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:25 AM
positron

ORIGINAL: 860Crawler

nice vid!

How do you like the new rubber?
thanks , they are ok, they are more for hard clay type surfaces, seemed lacking in side grip in the dust. Certainly better than the hard ones that came with the kit though. Think I'll have to set it up better, at the moment my 2wd is faster around the track

Old 09-29-2010, 11:08 AM
littlebuddha

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=58781

here is a thread that may be able to help - check the last post. Seems lime a few people have the problem with the diffs. Maybe putting some glue/silicon on the nut may help instead of buying the set.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:01 PM
littlebuddha

ORIGINAL: 860Crawler

The middle one might not fit with that top/center placement of the leads. The other two look like they should work alright since they are configured like a standard stick pack.
thanks Nick. I bought the 4000mah one - as I checked on the venom website and its specifically designed to fit tamiya cars (shotgun style) so there should be no worries. I also got some steel universals from GPM so hopefully they work out fine, anyone have any problems with these or a specific brand they recommend? i wanted to the topcad heavy duty ones but they were out of stock - and the rest are alloys/aluminum.

In addition I got the gpm aluminum front bulkhead, 3r rear bulkhead brace, aluminum wheel hexes and some smaller pinion set. All in all, this switch to brushless is turning out to be more expensive than expected. Hopefully the dark impact isnt going to require lots more upgrades/fixes to get it reliably running on brushless power.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Krazy Chicken

how do you set a ball diff? do i tighten it as tight as i can, then back it off one complete turn?
Old 10-24-2010, 07:49 AM
muckute

ORIGINAL: mike_o

What I also found is that the 620 diff thrust bearing is dead. Anywhere to get that without buying an entire set of bearings?
I know it's a late reply but i had the same problem and i got a cuple of thrust bearings from [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tamiya-RC-Thrust-Ball-Bearings-2x6x3-R-C-Bearing-2x6-mm-/130257586088?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e53f507a8]HERE[/link]

The hardest part was to find replacements for the nut and bolt that holds the whole diff together

ORIGINAL: Krazy Chicken

how do you set a ball diff? do i tighten it as tight as i can, then back it off one complete turn?
The assembly instructions show how to assemble the diff and tension it. I tightened it until it was quite difficult to spin the diff cups in opposite directions using a couple of hex keys as handles
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mg13833.gif
Views:	37
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	1521928  
Old 10-24-2010, 08:51 AM
crunchNmunch

ORIGINAL: Krazy Chicken

how do you set a ball diff?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:00 AM
860Crawler

Couple shots

Old 11-14-2010, 08:33 AM
positron

Looking great Nick, I got my kyosho ball cups for mine, never did find my dogbone though
Old 11-14-2010, 07:38 PM
860Crawler

I bought some Muchmore 800wt. damper oil for the rear. The stuff is about as thick as molasses but, the car doesn't squat as much under acceleration and the chassis slap is much reduced when jumping. I was ripping it through my friend's yard today during our crawler meet at Rock Island. He's got that short thin grass like the stuff they race on in the UK, really fun and your buggy stays nice and clean!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Krazy Chicken

discontinued [:@]

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMFW1&P=7
Old 11-14-2010, 08:38 PM
860Crawler

Possibly... Or Tower Hobbies might not want to carry it anymore. They have a crapload of stuff on their site that says discontinued but they are still available. Go to tamiyausa.com to see if it's really gone or not.

It is discontinued at tamiyausa but oddly enough the Keen Hawk is not.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Krazy Chicken

yep discontinued, i understand the avante but not the dark impact

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58370
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58387
Old 03-04-2011, 04:30 PM
wynneb

Hi Guys ,
I know that a couple are discontinued but I just saw a car called the 1:10 Electric 4WD Buggy Red Tanga Bs EP-03 , it costs just €49.99 for the kit  , a brushless rtr version for €99.99I I am getting 3 of these cars 2rtr versions for my kids and the third I am buying as a kit so as to upgrade it and to full on racing spec which even if I got all essentail alloy upgrades will cost including the car €130.00 . That  it comes with alloy threaded shocks and the way the front and rear wishbones hing pins different but that is about it , I could buy a full car for spares !

I am just getting back into racing after being away for nearly 16 years and will be racing my upgraded vintage ttech Predator for nationals ( as parts are rare as hell and expensive ) but racing the Renamed Dark Impact for the rest of the year . I might even eventually get the 3racing graphite chassis but the price above includes a monotuning lengthened chassis so I will see how it goes . 

I know alot has been mentioned with reagrds to the durability of these cars but , I raced a predator when they called it a lemon and was the most unreliable cars out there but after 8 years of development in the late 90's it won a European championships so I think with a bit of tweeking this little car can go great . 

Let me know what you think and tell me what is the best set-up for the car on a hard packed grass track  with a couple of Jumps

<script type="text/javascript"></script>Wynneb <meta content="A24599" name="WT.pn_sku"/><meta content="1" name="WT.tx_u"/><meta content="v" name="WT.tx_e"/>
Old 10-23-2011, 08:42 AM
86waterpumper

Hey I need to get a few parts to revive my daughter's df03. One main thing I need is the solid metal round pin that keeps the steering bellcranks centered. Does anyone know what parts bag has this part? Also I have some new tires already bought the proline dirt hawgs. What is a good cheap set of wheels I can buy and mount these on? the stockers are already glued I'm sure I won't be able to salvage those and the stock tires are well bald :P Thanks!
Old 11-13-2011, 12:46 PM
ScsFactor

Took the DF-03MS out for a spin. Lovely basher and decent jumper. Feels a bit fragile, but still loads of fun

Old 11-27-2011, 06:56 AM
860Crawler

excellent shots!
Old 06-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Nemesis0803

Anybody still running their dark impact? I just picked one up used. It is a pretty fun little buggy. The wheels and tires are old traxxas ones? Ha! Anyhow they are terrible and bald. What tires and wheels work best on these buggies? Are there a lot of options? I also noticed there is very little steering in these guys. Anyhow hope this thread isn't dead!
Old 06-15-2014, 04:37 PM
860Crawler

Still have mine. I just run the Tamiya dual block tir3d but will be upgrading soon
Old 06-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Nemesis0803

What are you going to install in place of the tamiya tires? Will the standard 2.2 4wd buggy tires fit the DI tamiya rims?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.