Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Dark Impact Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Krazy Chicken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Dark Impact Thread

hmm i had that same problem with my 3-racing cvd's, i also had one brake where the thread starts
ORIGINAL: 860Crawler

And when I lost the pin from the rear CVD, here is the sliced upright

Old 06-11-2010, 08:22 AM
positron

I did think the 3racing ones where a bit thin there, you bent them up pretty good! I like that track though, looks like a pretty loose surface? been to wet to drive mine, had the fj out instead
Old 06-11-2010, 09:22 AM
860Crawler

Its got a layer of loose dust over hardpack. Its a good surface, they definitely need to do some more work on it. remove some random rocks and its got some ruts in places from rainwater washing it away and they need to make some real jumps and cover them with astroturf so they don't wash away. There is 3 actual dirt mounds on the track but they are bumpy to run up. A pair of them over on the right are supposed to be a "double" but they are so rough it kicks you off all cockeyed. Plus they dont have enough kick to get you actually up in the air. Like I said, it looks like a track for bashers, Stampede and Revo drivers with big tires.
It would help to spike the barriers in through the top instead of on both sides where you can rip an arm off if you hit it.

I did find I need to up the weight in my rear shocks though. I'd get nasty slap landing off of those jumps and I was only getting maybe 3 feet high at the most.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:57 AM
positron

Im running red springs in the rear and yellows in the front if that helps (bought the spring set), kinda glad im still running dogbones after seeing your cvd
Old 06-12-2010, 08:33 AM
860Crawler

It was suggested that I run a bit of heat shrink tubing over that area and the pin will never back out if it come loose, so I'll try that.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:29 PM
THE HP FREAK
My Feedback: (1)

It was suggested that I run a bit of heat shrink tubing over that area and the pin will never back out if it come loose, so I'll try that.

HI!... I've always done that on all my CVD's. Never had a pin come out.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:58 AM
saleens7

I've got a Feigao 540 8S (4436kv) and a 100amp supersimple ESC from a boat, and can run it on two 2200mah 20C lipo's on parallel. Would this setup work good with the dark impact? I'm used to boats, so im not sure what i should run as far as gearing. Would this run ok with the stock gearing? Not looking for crazy speeds, maybe around 30mpg. Just want to run a cool setup, for light bashing and just messing around.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:23 AM
THE HP FREAK

ORIGINAL: saleens7

I've got a Feigao 540 8S (4436kv) and a 100amp supersimple ESC from a boat, and can run it on two 2200mah 20C lipo's on parallel. Would this setup work good with the dark impact? I'm used to boats, so im not sure what i should run as far as gearing. Would this run ok with the stock gearing? Not looking for crazy speeds, maybe around 30mpg. Just want to run a cool setup, for light bashing and just messing around.
HI!... You won't be able to run twin lipo's on the DI. There's no room in the battery compartment. Tamiya designed the DI battery compartment for a traditional NiMh battery. I run a ZIPPY 7.4 volt 5800mAh and a 6000KV brushless motor with a EZ-RUN 60 amp ESC. I run 63KPH for top speed. It runs really cold. Has tons of power. I get about 35-40 minutes of run time.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:44 AM
positron

ORIGINAL: mechanizeddeath

I haven't been in RC very long (2.5 years or so) but everything I've seen and experienced myself points away from aluminum. Big parts, like the chassis or bulkheads are fine in some cases, but anything small is best left to plastic. There's a reason my DI is left all plastic.

Also, I think a bumper should be the first upgrade everyone makes.
agreed, aluminium is generally to be avoided, especially in a car like the DI that needs to flex, Problem with the knuckles though is the kingpins back out, I lost a king pin and a flange and had to buy a whole screw kit from hong kong (and they are getting harder and harder to find), the aluminium knuckles let you loctite it in, guess I could have just CA glued it into the plastic knuckles.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:44 AM
positron

just a heads up dinball has got A parts tree in stock and chassis now, nice to know theyre still being made!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:19 PM
saleens7

ORIGINAL: THE HP FREAK

HI!... You won't be able to run twin lipo's on the DI. There's no room in the battery compartment. Tamiya designed the DI battery compartment for a traditional NiMh battery. I run a ZIPPY 7.4 volt 5800mAh and a 6000KV brushless motor with a EZ-RUN 60 amp ESC. I run 63KPH for top speed. It runs really cold. Has tons of power. I get about 35-40 minutes of run time.
Hmmmmmmm......Well I could always run a smaller spur gear if id want to run speeds near that.....the battery issue is a big one though....I'll look around for some other buggies or trucks that can handle two....and even then, i can always rig it to fit two....the batts are small, probably about 1/2 the size of an nimh...if I were to stack them on their side, next to eachother, it would be about the size of a regular nimh pack, but just a bit taller...looking at the batt compartment, i can probaby modify it to fit both of them.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:57 PM
saleens7

It's hard to tell from the pics, but could the batt cover be moved up maybe 1/2 an inch without interfering with the drive shaft or the servo pushrod?
Old 06-13-2010, 03:57 PM
THE HP FREAK

It's hard to tell from the pics, but could the batt cover be moved up maybe 1/2 an inch without interfering with the drive shaft or the servo pushrod?
HI!... Nope.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:43 AM
positron

my knuckles are still holding up, I will try the GPM ones if these fail. All I've done lately is add a steering turnbuckle.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:38 PM
860Crawler

How much weight have you put in the chassis? And does it help?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:05 AM
positron

just a couple of blocks left over from my crawlers wheels, since I have all the esc and rx on the other side. does it help? who knows it lands flat though. Apparantly these are way below the minimum weight for a 4wd if your going to race them.

I landed a bit awkwardly on the front wheel today and it pushed the wheel outwards, knuckle bent lol

didnt do a good as job as you Nick. I have ordered some five stars ones, they look way chunkier and spose to be a good brand, will take a comparison shot when they arrive.

but I think we have determined 3racing knuckles to be *avoid*
Old 06-24-2010, 03:06 AM
THE HP FREAK

ORIGINAL: positron

just a couple of blocks left over from my crawlers wheels, since I have all the esc and rx on the other side. does it help? who knows it lands flat though. Apparently these are way below the minimum weight for a 4wd if your going to race them.

I landed a bit awkwardly on the front wheel today and it pushed the wheel outwards, knuckle bent lol
[img][/img]

didn't do a good as job as you Nick. I have ordered some five stars ones, they look way chunkier and spose to be a good brand, will take a comparison shot when they arrive.

but I think we have determined 3racing knuckles to be *avoid*
HI!... Got a link to the 5* KNUCKLES?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:19 AM
positron

I don't have a link as I got them off ebay, I do have a pic though.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:20 AM
THE HP FREAK

HI!... Well I upgraded to some 3RACING billet aluminum front "A" arms. These are the HD ones, not the light race versions. They seem beefy, and strong. We'll see how they stand up.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:25 AM
positron

they do look beefy, I'm very happy with my v2 3racing hardened outdrives, just the knuckles are a bad design
Old 06-24-2010, 03:46 AM
THE HP FREAK

ORIGINAL: positron

I don't have a link as I got them off ebay, I do have a pic though.

[img][/img]
HI!... Thanks for the pic. I searched e-bay and even did a google search and couldn't find them anywhere?
Old 06-24-2010, 05:54 AM
positron

seems I got the last ones on ebay at the moment. thats the sellers name "Rdvtg-Hobbies" he has a fair few five stars parts in his store
Old 06-24-2010, 09:08 AM
860Crawler

Yeah, the 3R knuckles are too thin in the wrong places. The arms look tough though. Those Five Star knuckles look pretty stout, I've purchased from that eBay seller before as well.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:23 AM
positron

So The knuckles arrived yesterday, took a couple pics for you guys.

Made in Japan

Some comparisons between them.

Lastly one of them installed.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:20 AM
860Crawler

Now the real test comes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.