Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

coming back from an RC hiatus.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:59 AM
ekimusman2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question coming back from an RC hiatus.

Hey all! Great to be back on the forums after a four year long hiatus! Had to sell all of my stuff, including the true UE supermaxx unfortunately, to help pay for a new art studio. Now that I'm settled in and have a bit more disposable income, I think I'm ready to jump right back into the hobby. As I can see, there are a BUNCH of new manufacturers/models available. Simply put: I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of the awesome new kits and electronics out there. I'm just wondering if you guys could help me narrow down my choices a bit. I'd really appreciate it.

My RC background is primarily in 1/10 and 1/8 scale off-road electric racing/nitro bashing. I'm looking to throw myself back into the fray with a fairly tough, versatile kit capable of handling off-road basing (soccer field-esque) without too much slop.

My criteria for what I'm looking for are:
-any scale from 1/18 up to 1/8
-build it yourself kit (ideally. This was always my favorite aspect of the hobby.)
-solid drivetrain capable of handling dirt drift runs/light bashing. Also plan on going brushless.
-Minimal rollover (stable suspension setup)
-parts availability (avoiding ordering from outside of US/canada)

I've noticed that there are a bunch of new companies and cars, but I'm seeing WAY less unassembled kits from the manufacturers that I used to buy from five years ago. I'm just really looking forward to building again.

I apologize for for the ultra long post, I just want to make the right decision, and you guys have never steered (pun intended) me wrong.

Thanks again guys
Dan from NJ
Old 02-03-2016, 03:39 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Welcome back! Not too much has changed except for brands and such. As far as you would want, the Axial Yeti sounds like a good choice. I'll put together a list of parts with some of the cheaper products, as I am not sure of your budget.

Kit; http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2MRRoCtRLw_wcB
(410JE gets you $33 off!)

Motor; http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m214-3674-2800kv-6t.html

ESC; http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ESC_w_Fan.html

Servo; http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...14sec_66g.html

Battery; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...-with-uni-plug

Charger; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...attery-charger

Transmitter/Receiver (for all your future models as well); http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...io_System.html
Old 02-04-2016, 05:05 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ekimusman2
...My criteria for what I'm looking for are:
-any scale from 1/18 up to 1/8
-build it yourself kit (ideally. This was always my favorite aspect of the hobby.)
-solid drivetrain capable of handling dirt drift runs/light bashing. Also plan on going brushless.
-Minimal rollover (stable suspension setup)
-parts availability (avoiding ordering from outside of US/canada)

I've noticed that there are a bunch of new companies and cars, but I'm seeing WAY less unassembled kits from the manufacturers that I used to buy from five years ago. I'm just really looking forward to building again....
Welcome back, and possibly "falling off the wagon".

Your criteria leads me to suggest some sort of 1/10 Rally type platform. Problem being...no kits . Stepping down from that suggestion (maybe a step up) a Team Associated SC10.2 FT would be my next best bet. Kit = awesomeness. Rear mounted motor...no shorty/saddle packs needed.

Last edited by RustyUs; 02-04-2016 at 05:17 AM. Reason: added link
Old 02-04-2016, 05:13 AM
RustyUs

The short course truck thing has some possibilities that come with it. Parma has gotta covered (pun intended ) with some old school bodies to dress up one's chassis.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:42 AM
RustyUs

Default Kits?

The other criteria that you, ekimusman2, mentioned...kits. I see that a lot, being brought up in discussion around the forums. "The build" is one of my favorite aspects of the whole hobby...having a slew of parts in front of ya, and you are the one to make it happen... RC gratification at it's best.

Finding kits is usually found in the "racers only shelf" of online stores. Those days of getting a basic platform kit is pretty much...gone. Like one lady once told me, "that leaves an awful taste in my mouth." Unless you look at Tamiya, some Kyosho re-releases, and Axial (you guys are great!) the non racing "kit" is hard pressed to find.

When SC first came about; after the Slash (not the earlier SC stuff), Team Associated seen a new void that needed filled. Out came the great basic SC10 Kit #7027 that was offered to the masses. No big bore shocks, no fancy blue aluminum Factory Team hop-ups (I love that stuff though), no batteries, no motor, no radio, no ESC, and no problems! I personally believe manufacturers would benefit from offering basic platform kits for us to enjoy. Again, a shout out to Axial...pat yourself on the back guys for a job well done with the kits.

Last edited by RustyUs; 02-04-2016 at 10:13 AM. Reason: wording
Old 02-04-2016, 06:22 AM
RustyUs

Default Yeti Fun

That above post being said, the Yeti kit is my all-time favorite build. Why? Lots, and lots of pieces are presented to you when opening the kit box . Lots, and lots of "wrenching" needed, and with no power drivers used, my wrist and forearms felt it . Holding, articulating the suspention, and watching the Yeti come together was pure enjoyment. Now that being said, the minimum rollover criteria, and the Yeti don't go hand-in-hand. Although, a lot of times, my "monster buggy" (most call it a Rock Racer) will right itself on all fours after a hard turn.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:39 AM
RustyUs

For toughness, the 1/8 scale RTR buggy platform offerings, that are out there, two or three of them stick in my head as being great if offered as a kit. Arrma, HPI, HoBao...I'm looking at you guys.

One of top (IMO) ranked RTRs I was looking at before I went ahead with the Yeti purchase was the Typhon. The one thing that slowed down my decision making process was the fact that a RTR package meant I would be taking out most of the electronics and not being able to build something. I didn't want to go through that mess.

After the success of Axial's RTR Yeti, out comes the rock racer... in kit form! Bam! Done deal for me.

Last edited by RustyUs; 02-04-2016 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added link
Old 02-04-2016, 10:11 AM
ekimusman2

Originally Posted by RustyUs
That above post being said, the Yeti kit is my all-time favorite build. Why? Lots, and lots of pieces are presented to you when opening the kit box . Lots, and lots of "wrenching" needed, and with no power drivers used, my wrist and forearms felt it . Holding, articulating the suspention, and watching the Yeti come together was pure enjoyment. Now that being said, the minimum rollover criteria, and the Yeti don't go hand-in-hand. Although, a lot of times, my "monster buggy" (most call it a Rock Racer) will right itself on all fours after a hard turn.
i totally agree, man. I used to LOVE building *almost* as much as/sometimes even MORE than running. there was nothing like getting a new kit and just gearing away with some music on. that's probably why I ended up with so many variations of the RC18 hahaha. Thanks so much for the suggestions. I was actually looking at the yeti. My main concern is that some of those suspension components look.......flimsy - for lack of a better word. I can see myself cracking those in an instant. I'm definitely going to do more research because it seems like axial has stepped into the non-crawler market a bit since I took a break from RC. if my memory serves me correctly, they used to be primarily known for their crawlers, right?
Old 02-04-2016, 11:17 AM
RustyUs

Correct.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:07 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by ekimusman2
My main concern is that some of those suspension components look.......flimsy - for lack of a better word. I can see myself cracking those in an instant.
Cracking? No. Well, if you launch 10' into the air, and land wrong; then maybe a possibility of cracking something. But that goes with anything. There are many plastics used in the Yeti. I believe it has the right amount of flex in it where it needs to be, and other places, the plastics are stiffer for higher strength. I got the kit version solely 'cause it came with many upgrades that the RTR does not come with. The lower links plates are a must. Without them the links will twist a lot under normal bashing. I'm not trying to sell you on the Yeti cause of the "dirt drift runs" and "minimum rollover" characteristics you want. The Yeti is heavy, and comes with a lot of body roll. It's a handful on 3S with the right motor.

Watching the way the Yeti drives with the body rollin' in the corners, and the shocks/suspension soaking up everything...That's the enjoyment I get from the monster buggy. It's the jumping side of the platform that fights me a lot. Not the best jumper while taking on normal ramps/jumps. The Yeti requires a little fineness when approaching a jump, and lots of power/torque in reserve to keep a level attitude. My rock racer doesn't see much "crawling" action, and there is an option for installing a 2-speed Hi/Lo Transmission conversion kit, but I'm happy at the moment with the low speeds achieved with 2S packs, and sensorless motor. I do let friends and family try their driving skills with rock racer. That's how much faith I have in the durability of the plastics. The jaw-dropping moments as they run into something..."I can't believe that thing survived wresting with that (insert obstacle)." The smiles, and laughter from letting others drive (on 2S most of the time) my Yeti is worth buying an Axial.

I probably took me 6 months to finally decide on the platform. At the time I wanted a 4wd short course truck; then I looked at monster trucks, and 1/8 scale buggies. I couldn't make up my mind. Axial's kit did that for me .
Old 02-04-2016, 12:15 PM
RustyUs

If Axial releases kit versions of their RR10 Bomber and Yeti SCORE® Trophy Truck®...that would be icing on the cake for a lot of folks.

Anyway good luck on your quest!