Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Traxxas Slash 2WD & 4x4 Wheel/Tire Choices for Off-Road/Dirt Track Racing

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Traxxas Slash 2WD & 4x4 Wheel/Tire Choices for Off-Road/Dirt Track Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 05:22 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Traxxas Slash 2WD & 4x4 Wheel/Tire Choices for Off-Road/Dirt Track Racing

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 2wd brushed Slash and a 4x4 Brushless Slash.

What Tire/Wheel options are out there for bashing and dirt track racing?

We have a nice outdoor dirt track locally and I want to take my nephews out there with the Slashes and Stampedes and let them tear it up but I want to put the proper gripping tires on, the stock tires seem to spin without grabbing much traction.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance guys!
Old 01-27-2016, 02:24 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as Slash 2x4 tires go for all purpose use, use the stock ones on the rear for running around on bashing. Then get these for the rear. The softer compound compared to stock took nearly 2 seconds off my lap time at my old track when spec Slash was big.

Slash 2x4 Tires; http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-5873A-.../dp/B001IZKECA

For 4x4, tires are not going to matter too much as the extra 2 drive wheels will give it grip in most conditions. I suggest staying stock with those and seeing how you like them.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:00 AM
JUCD VPR

The Stock tires are garbage and weren;t hooking up on any surface, I went with 2.8 Desperado Wheels and Trencher tires for my 4x4 Slash along with the proline body mount extensions and a Raptor body and MIP Axles. Looks great, going to drive it today after work.

I think I might go M2 with a 2.2 wheel and Gladiator tires for the 2wd slash.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:05 PM
collector1231

Did you not read my post? Those tires are not stock, they are softer than stock...
Old 01-30-2016, 05:34 AM
JUCD VPR

Originally Posted by collector1231
As far as Slash 2x4 tires go for all purpose use, use the stock ones on the rear for running around on bashing. Then get these for the rear. The softer compound compared to stock took nearly 2 seconds off my lap time at my old track when spec Slash was big.

Slash 2x4 Tires; http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-5873A-.../dp/B001IZKECA

For 4x4, tires are not going to matter too much as the extra 2 drive wheels will give it grip in most conditions. I suggest staying stock with those and seeing how you like them.
Yes, I read your post. I'm not running stock tires on either truck as they are junk in my opinion. I saw the link for the softer rears. Just not sure which tire I am choosing, Gladiators or Goliaths.

Last edited by JUCD VPR; 01-30-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:48 AM
Dcuda69

Originally Posted by JUCD VPR
Yes, I read your post. I'm not running stock tires on either truck as they are junk in my opinion. I saw the link for the softer rears. Just not sure which tire I am choosing, Gladiators or Goliaths.
Collector's link was to the S1 compound tires. They come stock on the Ultimate/Platinum but not on a regular Slash. I have an Ultimate and I thought they were a very decent all around tire.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:09 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big tire blocks don't really work on actual dirt. If you want REAL traction, you need smaller tread. Look at the ProLine Caliber SC for racing, and the Proline Gladiator SC for bashing. The Calibers hook up really well, even on a dry dusty surface. The Glads have bigger pins that work well in softer conditions, or even on asphalt. (Tho they'll wear quicker on asphalt.) Do they allow those tires in Spec Slash racing? I dunno.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:30 PM
JUCD VPR

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Big tire blocks don't really work on actual dirt. If you want REAL traction, you need smaller tread. Look at the ProLine Caliber SC for racing, and the Proline Gladiator SC for bashing. The Calibers hook up really well, even on a dry dusty surface. The Glads have bigger pins that work well in softer conditions, or even on asphalt. (Tho they'll wear quicker on asphalt.) Do they allow those tires in Spec Slash racing? I dunno.
Thanks, I am going to go with the 2.2 Gladiator tires with the softer compound, I run mostly in grass and on this dirt track, I may make a few passes down the street on pavement but that is all. I think I am going to go with the Split 6 wheels and just paint the red rim black.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:42 PM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want the short course truck tires and wheels, the 2.2/3.0in wheel, not the 2.2in stadium truck tire wheel.