Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

cleaning brushless?

Old 04-21-2006, 09:33 AM
cavfighter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning brushless?

Hey guys quick question. I am used to pulling apart and cleaning my brushed motors constantly. Does the same apply to the brushless setups? I now have approx 25 runs on my Neo 2 and recently just have sprayed the outside off with electrical cleaner and the lubed the bearing. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:00 AM
raz54

Default RE: cleaning brushless?

From what I was told you NEVER get the inside wet at any time, it can ruin the magnets. You are supposed to wipe them clean (dry cloth) and oil the bearings.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:04 AM
cavfighter

yeah I knew about getting the inside wet but I thought that was only with the motor powered. I would imagine if you just sprayed it down like the brushed motor and let it dry prior to power it would be fine. The reason I was asking though cause I have ran through some silty dirt with my paddles a few times and I know there has to some contaminates in there.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:51 AM
SS Pede

I use motor spray to clean the front bearing in my SS5800. I don't take anything apart, I just spray the bearing where it is visible and re-lube it. I would never use motor spray inside the motor though. I have only ever opened up the motor once and I just blew the dirt out as recommended by Charlie at Novak.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:20 PM
raz54

As SS Pede said you never get the inside wet. It's OK to spray the bearings once they are out but make sure you do not get the magnets wet at all.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:35 PM
cavfighter

thanks guys you answered my question. I will probably do the same with my compressor just to remove any dirt in there. that was my concern is the silt in the case wearing the motor out sooner. the darn things arent cheap lol.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:41 PM
AdonaiRustler

i read that its ok to spray the inside with motor spray, because like any other motor, brushless also gets dust and dirt on the inside.

http://www.rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=17&page=1
Old 04-21-2006, 02:33 PM
raz54

ORIGINAL: AdonaiRustler

i read that its ok to spray the inside with motor spray, because like any other motor, brushless also gets dust and dirt on the inside.

http://www.rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=17&page=1

It really depends on what kind of magnets it has (some will crack if they get wet) but the way I look at is why take a chance when you can clean it just fine dry and not have to worry about destroying an expcensive motor. If you pull it apart to clean and lube you can spray the rotor and bearings but I sure wouldn't get the magnets wet.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Getrdone

I saw a really cool tip in RC Action magazine that said you should fill in the screw holes that are not being used to mount the motor with shoe goo or some other gel like glue. It will help keep the dirt out of the motor.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:31 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Hope you have better luck taking apart your Neo than I did, I tried to get mine apart a while back (mostly to take peek at the guts) but couldn't get the darn thing to open up.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:51 PM
redthoughts

couldnt you fill the empty holes with set screws with some thread lock?
Old 04-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Getrdone

Personally I would use something that you to remove later on in case you put the motor on a different motor mount. Shoe Goo would be easy to pick out if you needed to use those holes later on.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:11 PM
raz54

ORIGINAL: redthoughts

couldnt you fill the empty holes with set screws with some thread lock?

The problem with that is the screws would hold the motor out away from the mount and it wouldn't be as secure. I would put a small piece of tape over the extra holes, then it won't fall inside the motor and could be removed easily.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:14 PM
R/C fan-addict

I was trying to open my 4.5 when it arrived to take a peek inside but the screws stripped!!! I'm gonna talk to novak to try an get a new motor cause the screws stripped right away and otherwise I'll never be able to open my motor!
Old 04-22-2006, 07:16 PM
redthoughts

set screws are used in pinions right? so they should be flush. i have a FT t4 shouldnt the gear cover protect it anyway?
Old 04-22-2006, 09:13 PM
R/C fan-addict

you could just cut a piece of lexan to the shape of the can and then make 2 holes where the mounting screws you are using will go through.