Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Just bought my first RC today!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 02:33 AM
Dekz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my first RC today!

well today I went with my mom to the hobby store to pick out my xmas present =)

I got a Tamiya kit (i think it's a TL-01) came with an Integra body (RSX), radio, battery, charger. So I'm all set, now the hardest part is waiting 11 days, I'm pretty excited. Can't wait to build it. Anyone have any of these, any tips or anything? This is my first RC so I dont want to screw it up.

I was also considering the HPI Sport 2 but geez, it was $100 MORE and didn't come with a motor or a speed control or anything, what's with that?

Anyone wanna let me on on the RC terminology?

I know ESC and MSC but that's about it =)
any other acronyms I should know? I hear the term "hop-up" a lot, what does that mean? like "soupe up"? upgrade, etc? any tips would be greatly appreciated, thx.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:38 AM
Karl the Mechan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TERMINOLOGY

Hop-up = Bad Japaneeeeze-english for "upgrade-part"
It's been around for so long that "everyone" uses it nowadays.

Hi there, search the web, read this forum and learn.

The reason the HPI doesnt have a speed controller is the same reason the Tamiya doesnt have a speed controller. It costs money, therefore the kit becomes too expensive, and some people already have a speed controller and doesnt want to pay for one included in a kit.
And no, there is no proper speed controller in the Tamiya kit, it's a mechanical piece of junk that makes the car horrible to drive. Toss it away and fit an ESC. The rest of the kit, however, is first class.

Just remember to buy ball-bearings for it. I NEVER assemble a car without! Your TL01LA takes twentyfour 5x11x4 bearings.

The motor supplied in the kit is quite sufficient. Dont bother wishing a more powerful one until you've learned to master the car.

ENJOY!