Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

brushless for Losi XXX-T bashing

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 09:44 AM
hector69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brushless for Losi XXX-T bashing

I have a Losi xxx-t stadium truck ready-to-run. My stock Novak esc keeps shutting down due to thermal overload. Its mostly just bashing on grass, but that's where I need to run. I've already tried 15-20 tooth pinion gears, but it still shuts down when I run too hard. I would like to upgrade to brushless to hopefully prevent overloading and wanted a recommendation. I'm thinking of either the Sphere Neo 2 star or the Novak GTB 6.5 Anyone have good/bad experiences with these in the XXX-T with the stock XR2 radio/receiver? Even though it's an "off-road" truck, I'm mostly running on the road and in low-cut grass. I know the Sphere handles 7-cell, and is a little smaller, but the Novak is less expensive. Again, for me, thermal overloading seems to be my biggest concern. Thanks in advance for your experiences.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:27 AM
NitroEddie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: brushless for Losi XXX-T bashing

A brushless system will still thermal if pushed to the point of overheating. Use a fan over your ESC and a heatsink on your motor. Gearing is also important in addition to the fan and heatsink.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:42 PM
hector69

I don't see where I can mount a heatsink to the motor. The back frame of the truck is in the way. Also, I don't know if I can easily fit a fan over the stock Novak sport ESC and it doesn't have a heat sink. Can't the brushless systems be pushed futher before thermal shutdown?
Old 05-14-2006, 12:46 PM
NitroEddie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Novak kit comes with the mounting hardware including the actual mount (see pic). Your ESC should have a heatsink on it. Can you post a pic?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86401.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	461246  
Old 05-14-2006, 01:08 PM
fugaziiv

well, I have the GTB and when i'm bashing in the grass, the batteries and the motor get hot, but usually the ESC itself is pretty cool to the touch. Its actually quite impressive.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:52 PM
hector69

This is what I have: http://www.teamnovak.com/products/esc/xrs/xrs.html
No heat sink, no fan.
It's their basic system and came stock in my xxx-t rtr.
So, I'd imagine even the GTX with the heatsink would not get as hot.
But, if I'm gonna upgrade the ESC and motor anyway, why not a brushless.
Sphere Neo 2-star or Novak GTB 6.5
Again, mostly just bashing on the road and low cut grass.
At this point, I'm leaning towards the Novak 6.5
Someone talk me out of it or I'm buying it soon.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:42 PM
rschoi_75

The GTB systems should be able to handle your demands MUCH better than the xrs. It just depends on how much you're willing to spend. I would get the Novak 6.5 system as well. You should be pleased with it.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:17 AM
hector69

Wow, I got the Novak GTB 6.5 and installed it in the XXX-T yesterday. I ran one battery pack, and this thing flies on the road! Almost too much power. I think any faster and I'd start losing parts. I took it into the grass and it handled well there too. The motor got warm, but the esc was not. So far, I'm very impressed with the GTB. My only comment is that it pauses for a second or two after applying breaks before I can drive in reverse. Maybe this is normal for the GTB?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:03 PM
chris2326

would the 3.5 brushless be way to much for a xxx-t to handle and if it is than what brushless should i get for my xxx-t so it will go as fast as possible
Old 09-20-2006, 12:23 AM
BanditMonster

A 4.5/5.5 GTB will satisfy your need for speed, when it comes to buying a Brushless System from Novak, in your stadium truck.

A 3.5 may heat up more than you would like it to on a stadium truck, but of course, one of the major factors is gearing.

I'd reccomend a GTB 5.5r for a stadium truck. A 4.5r would be very fast, but you'd break your truck just as fast. With more torque using the 5.5r/6.5r or 7.5r, you have much more freedom when it comes to gearing them.

Also to the one who just recently purchased a 6.5r:

Enjoy the system, it is very powerful, and seriously fast. The GTB ESC will rarely give you heating problems, and the motor itself, will run comfortably from 160-180F, however, you will probably never reach that high, 100-130 is what you will usually see using a Flashpoint Temp. Gun, which is just impressive. 6-cells is all you will need with that system. (This is derived from personal experience, being a user of the 6.5r myself)

Enjoy!

Old 09-20-2006, 07:10 AM
bIGmiK

Well I DO run a XXX-T MF2 with a Sphere and Neo 2 star system and beat the hell out of it, I love the thing.

It's a great system, suits the truck well, I'd go with it mate