Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Got My Evader !! Now more Questions??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 12:22 AM
NewGuy1980

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got My Evader !! Now more Questions??

First of all this thing rocks, much faster than I anticipated it to be. But I have a few questions/problems. I set it up and everthing according to the directions, held the button in on the ESC until the green light blinked, then hit full throttle on the remote (the directions said it wouldn't move under these conditons). Well it took off like a bad outa hell, no damage was done tho But I couldn't get it, the ESC, to go into (set up) mode? But everthing worked fine, so I figured I'd take it for a little spin. Man it cooks, only problem is I think the ESC keeps shutting it down because of overheating it'll run for about 5 minutes then I have to let it sit for a couple minutes and it'll run again. But it got so hot it melted the plastic around the quick conects to the motor [:@] Do I have a bad ESC??

Also if I go in reverse and don't turn it at all the wheels will go bonkers and turn whichever way the want to, if I turn them with the control tho it'll do what I tell it, not sure what's up with that

I am definatley happy with the Evader tho Guys, thanks for the advice on picking it.

Also for any help with my new questions.

Thanks,

Beau
Old 06-24-2006, 01:27 AM
JFACKY

Default RE: Got My Evader !! Now more Questions??

simple. reread the directions carefuly and read the step about NOT hooking up the motor leads.

HTH

Jim
Old 06-24-2006, 04:29 AM
NewGuy1980

(He bows his head in shame) That would explain it [&o]. How about the reverse thing tho?
Old 06-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Almighty ODST

weak steering servo possibly? I don't know anything about the quality of Duratrax vehicles...it's is just a suggestion...my really old toys r us truck would do that haha I'd go in reverse and the darn thing would start doing backwards donuts...funny thing was it didn't have enough power to do forwards donuts
Old 06-25-2006, 12:01 AM
JFACKY

or the linkage could be sloppy. and when running forward because of the steering geometry is not noticed.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:51 AM
SS5800EvADer

u should get deans plugs for the following: batteries, charger, ESC, and connection between motor and ESC
Old 06-25-2006, 12:55 AM
SS5800EvADer

No your ESC is not bad i had the same problem and once i upgraded my my plugs all the connections stayed cool also upgrading the plugs makes u have longer run times

this site really helped me: [link]http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lane/deans-plugs/g-deans-plugs.asp[/link]
Old 06-25-2006, 09:11 AM
darthballs

ive experianced that reverse thing on several cars. for me atleast it always resulted from a loose servo saver.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:40 AM
bwalker25

yes, check your servo saver, that damned screw could be loose! mine will come loose every so often, just have to tighten it back down. congrats on your vader!

evaders are cool! if your gonna be bashing i'd recommend that you go with the powerpole connectors, deans plugs are great, although almost twice as expensive as the powerpoles. everyone will tell you deans are the way to go, but for me, bashing = fun and on a budget the powerpoles are the way to go, they work fine on my 6.5 brushless. I use them because we have like 300 of those things and it doesn't make sinse for me to buy connectors when I have something that will work just as good

if you dont already have them though, might want to think about deans, however the powerpoles are much cheaper and just as good.... good enough you wont notice much of a difference between them and deans plugs....
Old 06-28-2006, 09:40 PM
cjg

I had the same thing happen twice on my evader bx. Turned out to bea very small, almost not noticable crack in the front hub carrier on one side (#28 on parts sheet). This must have happened after a crash. Didn't notice it for a month. Once I replaced it the "swiveling" steering in reverse quit.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:57 AM
fugaziiv

for most people here powerpoles are every bit as good as deans. that still doesn't stop me from using deans though...
Old 06-29-2006, 08:31 AM
MONSTARUSTA

I beleive the camber is to blame for the reverse problem. The camber alows the suspinsion to handle very well forwards but its effect works the opposite in reverse making it very unstable. Thats why you have the quick fliping back and forth of the wheels and the occasianal donuts.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:09 PM
specracer
Banned

yea i heard the power poles connectors are better than deans plugs.they say it is less resistance.but the best way to connect it is direct solder it.but i still use deans(with battery's).if i where you i would direct solder the wires to the motor because you take it out only every so often.