Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Dark Impact - Lunchboxer style..

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dark Impact - Lunchboxer style..

You probably could, but I wouldn't know.. keep us posted!! Looking forward to the finished product!!
Old 03-01-2009, 11:15 AM
mjderstine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, the servo move did the trick. the angle is perfect now. i will get some pics soon for you to look at.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Lunchboxer

Glad that worked out for you.. looking forward to the pics!!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 AM
mjderstine

well, i got the steering all worked out. just had to move the servo to the other side of the mounting tabs. now i have a proper angle for steering. the servo arm was being used just because i dont have a JR servo saver at the moment. once i get one, i will have to mount an extension on the saver so that it will clear the top plate of the chassis. should be pretty easy though.

here are some pics.

this was the before pic!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Lunchboxer

Looks much better.. !! Nice!! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-02-2009, 03:52 PM
teamrc
Banned

I'd like to build a D.I. myself. Then put a mild modified in it.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Lunchboxer

YOU CAN DO IT!!
Old 03-07-2009, 06:09 AM
patxeik

hi mates, im waitting to get a df03 ms, is coming soon to spain.
Its a very large post, and really hard to read by a guy that speak a little of english. So i will be lazy and just ask you a few questions:
-Which 1/10 truck rims will fit this beast? hpi wheels looks nice, but do you need to dremel it or something like that?
-The df03ms already comes with a sliper clutch, so to change the spur to metric i just need an ae spurgear and sliper pads from ae too?
- I own 2 intellect lipo hardcase (black) 30c 5000mah 2s, anybody know if that will fit, never mind if i need to dremel it a little.
So thanks for all mates.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:42 AM
ArildS

- I believe many like the Dirt Hawgs tires. They fit the original rims. Part numbers: LXDU13 and LXDU14 at towerhobbies.com
- The original spur is already metric. I think maybe you are looking for the Kawada spur conversion kit. Partno: #TBA1-01 at rcmart.com. Converts to 48pitch imperial. That way you can use any 48 pitch spurs and pinions.
- I doubt the 5000 mah Intellects will fit. Could be a really snug fit though Or you may need to dremel a little bit. Maybe someone else here knows.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:08 AM
patxeik

thanks arilds for the reply. i hope my intellect lipo fit it, i will let you know. I was asking about truck wheels and tires so i can have more ground clearance and bash it better. I have seen here lot of people with truck rims, but i dont know if they are from hpi or something another truck.
greetings
Old 03-08-2009, 10:21 AM
86waterpumper

You are going to for sure want to gear it low. I doubt even the low gearset in the kit would be enough gearing unless your tires aren't very big at all. One thing this car struggles with is motor heat, I think most that turn the buggies into trucks use the df-02 platform. Anyway good luck.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:57 AM
ArildS

ORIGINAL: patxeik

thanks arilds for the reply. i hope my intellect lipo fit it, i will let you know. I was asking about truck wheels and tires so i can have more ground clearance and bash it better. I have seen here lot of people with truck rims, but i dont know if they are from hpi or something another truck.
greetings
I've run mine with monster truck tires (Proline 2000). With my MM 5700 and a pinion of 19T on the largest spur it worked pretty OK, so it is possible. Looks goofy though, and without wideners (I have some widened CVDs) it topples pretty easily with those giant wheels.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:53 PM
86waterpumper

Has anyone noticed, that these things jump all goofy? I don't race mine or anything, but just bashing around in the yard, if it ever jumps more than something tiny, it always lands nose down. The further or higher I jump it the worse the problem becomes...Has anyone figured out how much weight to add and where to help it fly better? [&:]
Old 03-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Lunchboxer

Never jumps mine.. but can you correct it by giving it some throttle while in air?!
Old 03-13-2009, 03:31 PM
alippman

so.... if the lunchbox and pumpkin can use the same chassis, is it pretty easy to find and add the mounts for the 'other' frame and buy the other frame and decals if i want both? as much as i like and want the blackfoot too, its hard to resist the 2-in-1 factor, and these are both cool trucks too... can i leave both sets of mounts on and switch frames pretty quickly?
Old 03-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Lunchboxer

Maybe you should post your question in the Lunchbox thread?!
Old 03-13-2009, 03:41 PM
alippman

dern it i thought i did, theres a couple... where is that pesky thread again
Old 03-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Lunchboxer

Here you go!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4013633/tm.htm
Old 03-16-2009, 10:58 AM
86waterpumper

I have tried this a bit, but it's not enough really to help, but then I'm only running a fairly tired 19 turn motor, maybe you need alot of power for in air correction? I will just experiment with adding some weight and figure out what is the right amount!
Old 03-16-2009, 03:46 PM
ArildS

ORIGINAL: 86waterpumper

I have tried this a bit, but it's not enough really to help, but then I'm only running a fairly tired 19 turn motor, maybe you need alot of power for in air correction? I will just experiment with adding some weight and figure out what is the right amount!
Or heavier wheels. Both will tip your DI more backwards in the air.

Try jumping with full throttle and not 'let up' until you land. Usually you'll land on the rear doing that. Your mileage may wary
Old 03-25-2009, 08:32 AM
mjderstine

well here are some close ups of the radio installation. the wires actually look a lot cleaner in person. its just not a very photogenic car...:batman:

i have the esc taped down, and i cut the sticker off the bottom of the esc so that i was actually sticking the esc down and not the sticker.

as you can see i have the stock Suspension Arms installed for testing at the track. i also have some Hole Shots on white dish wheels for track use. the stock ones will be used for bashing only.

you can also see the new control arm for the steering servo. this is just a temporary template from some 1/8th Aluminum, i will be making one from carbon once i figure out how this one works.

you can also see in the pic how the battery is so much taller than the stock posts. i will be making some battery trays from some 3.5 mm CF that i have to keep them in place. I am also on the lookout for some taller posts for the battery straps.

sorry for the fuzz, i had macro on, but its a 7 year old camera

with the choices of bodies out there, i may just try to get a grasshopper body or something like that. really screw with the guys at the track when i am keeping up with the 1/8ths with a grasshopper.

i have also thought about selling my setup and just getting a 1/10th chassis that is proven, but i ahvent even had this one on the track yet, so i will have to give it a go for at least a couple months until i try to scrap it...
Old 03-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Lunchboxer

The steering arm setup is interesting.. let me know how it works.. just seems very long... will that be too much stress on the servo / servo saver?

I like the Hopper idea.. I have a J82 that's painted like a Hornet.. check it out:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8582272
Old 03-25-2009, 02:22 PM
mjderstine

that looks great man. pretty cool.

the steering arm is definately in a test form now. i had to turn the dual rate all the way down so that i wasnt over stressing the servo at the end of the steering motion. i think i can move the attachment point at least half way down that arms that is on there and still be fine. i am always just used to aircraft where a lot of throw is always needed.

i am going to drill some other mounting hold further down the custom arm and test out which one gets me closest to the top plate without hitting it. then when i get it right i am going to make one out of CF.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Lunchboxer

Sounds like a good plan!

Yeah, your setup might be okay w/ a very strong digital servo.. otherwise, you are only using the very little range of the servo, and the worse one at that, near the center.. so for sure you'd need a digital setup if you want to run a long arm.. and the long arm would require the servo to be high torque or you'd stress the motor..
Old 03-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Lunchboxer

Pretty nice paint job on this DF-03!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35291.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1165967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68080.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1165968  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.