Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Which ESC's can handle 11.1V???

Old 08-20-2006, 12:56 AM
stewtheman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which ESC's can handle 11.1V???

I got my start in R/C flying airplanes and accumulated some 11.1V LiPo's. However, now that I'm into cars I can't find any available ESC's that are designed to handle that kind of voltage. It seems everyone I run into is for 6 to 7 cells. So, I'm wondering which ESC's can handle 3-cell LiPo's. Cost is a big factor for me so I'm not interested in the stuff that's ridiculously pricey and I would actually like to know if anyone has tried the ESC's I have with higher voltage and whether or not they've had success. I have a 12T Duratrax Intellispeed in my Mini Quake SE with a 14T 540, a 12T Hitec HFX-R in my TLT-1 with a 14T 540, and an 11T Associated A.I. in my TT-01 with a 14T 540. I will also soon have a 19T Associated A.I. in my Mini-T with a Baja Micro. Do any of these setups sound like they could handle 11.1V? If not, what do I have to get in order to utilize these packs that are just sitting around? Thanks.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:32 AM
bIGmiK

Default RE: Which ESC's can handle 11.1V???

Mamba max can take 11.1V
Old 08-20-2006, 06:57 AM
The Fuhrer

Tekin ESC's are rated in their name: 410=10 cell (1.2V), 411=11 cells (1.2V) etc.........
Old 08-20-2006, 10:32 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

super rooster and streak (for brush type) Both can handle 10 cells or 3S and neither has a lipo cut-off.

Personally I use 3S with a duratrax 3 sprints , streak, 16 turn intellispeed 8 turn intellispeed. I had converted all from 8 cell nimh batts and the 3S is like a 9 cell. The streak uses a 4S battery. None have the recommended lcv though.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:44 AM
RURC

For brushless almost all can handle 11.1. The novak (except for the HV which is for MT's) and lrp set ups can't. At least the lrp can handle 7 cells nickle. They both can handle 2 cell lipos.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:46 AM
RURC

duplicate post
Old 08-20-2006, 10:47 PM
stewtheman

I'm not wanting to buy another ESC to handle the extra voltage but wondering if my setups would be fine with a 3-cell LiPo. I know there are some out there that are listed to handle additional volts, but I guess I'm just a little mystified that the overwhelming majority is only rated for 6 to 7 cells. U-dUd, with your 8T and 16T Intellispeeds, what kinds of motors are you running off those ESC's and how aggressively are they geared. It's going to make a big difference how close to the the turn limit you are with the extra voltage you can run through the ESC, right?
Old 08-20-2006, 11:43 PM
rcxboy

I wouldnt think you could run stuff at higher than nominated voltage at all, it would kill the BEC and FET
Old 08-21-2006, 07:20 AM
RURC

ORIGINAL: rcxboy

I wouldnt think you could run stuff at higher than nominated voltage at all, it would kill the BEC and FET
That is why you need a UBEC. This will let you run big batteries and get the 5 or 6 volts you want for your radio and servos..
Old 08-21-2006, 05:27 PM
guver

ORIGINAL: rcxboy

The bec is the first thing to act up on the ones I have overspecc'ed,
Old 08-21-2006, 06:08 PM
RURC

I mean a seperate UBEC. Not the one built in to the controller. Sorry for not making that clear before.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:21 PM
rcxboy

Yeah, my dad has to use a seperate BEC on his car as the $30 ebay esc puts out about 4.5v, which kills the range on the reciever and the servo speed.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Access

If it's a problem you can build your own BEC using a single IC like a 'simple switcher' by national semi.
http://www.national.com/images/pf/LM2678/10088603.pdf
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM2678.html
Works up to 40V, supplies 5A, and very efficient, won't heat up like a linear regulator.
Parts cost $10. or less.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:30 PM
guver

ORIGINAL: RURC

I mean a seperate UBEC. Not the one built in to the controller. Sorry for not making that clear before.

I knew what you meant, in fact I have tested them with higher voltage than I normally run and they are ok until the steering servo is used.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:35 PM
guver

ORIGINAL: stewtheman

I'm not wanting to buy another ESC to handle the extra voltage but wondering if my setups would be fine with a 3-cell LiPo. I know there are some out there that are listed to handle additional volts, but I guess I'm just a little mystified that the overwhelming majority is only rated for 6 to 7 cells. U-dUd, with your 8T and 16T Intellispeeds, what kinds of motors are you running off those ESC's and how aggressively are they geared. It's going to make a big difference how close to the the turn limit you are with the extra voltage you can run through the ESC, right?
Yes, I think you are right about being close to the turn limit.

The sprints are with 14 turn and 20 and 19 turn motors with the 19 turn geared "too high" That's just the way I gear stuff cuz I like high speed.

The 8 turn runs a 27 turn motor and the 16 turn runs a 14 turn motor both geared "too high"

The Streak runs parrallel 35 turn lathe motors and is geared stock.

I generally get away with running under the turn limit OR running over the voltage limit. It is very typical for me to use a rtr completely stock and simply add 2 cells or use a 3S lipo with stock gearing.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:01 PM
studysession

MTroniks Genesis Brushless ESC's
BK Warrior Series ESC's
Castle Creation's ESC's

You have many choices. All depends on what you want to do.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:32 AM
Incloud

Originally Posted by RURC
That is why you need a UBEC. This will let you run big batteries and get the 5 or 6 volts you want for your radio and servos..
Upon reading your reply here a question came to mind. I've been out of the hobby for quite some time and getting caught up. In my past experience there was always a dedicated receiver battery on board for the radio system. It appears now that most systems do not have this anymore. Obviously times have changed and I was wondering what the possibilities are of remaining with a dedicated receiver battery in today's setups? I personally think that having a Lipo 6v for the majority of your steering power would not only alleviate the need from the ESC but also give me piece of mind. I know very little about Lipo technology at this point but in theory it seems to be a great source of energy for not only length of time but bursts of power for our vehicles. I'd love to hear how foolish I sound and be made clear on what I'm missing in my assumption.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2018, 06:29 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

2 cell lipo = 8.4v fully charged
your average receiver and servo wont last too long at that voltage .
Many nitro guys ( who need a battery for the receiver ) have gone to high voltage servos and receives for use with lipo batteries .
Cheap ESCs often have a 5v bec ( battery eliminator cicuit ) , better ESCs have an adjustable one , so you can always have 6v if you want
Old 05-11-2018, 07:04 PM
Incloud

Originally Posted by seedygreenute
2 cell lipo = 8.4v fully charged
your average receiver and servo wont last too long at that voltage .
Many nitro guys ( who need a battery for the receiver ) have gone to high voltage servos and receives for use with lipo batteries .
Cheap ESCs often have a 5v bec ( battery eliminator cicuit ) , better ESCs have an adjustable one , so you can always have 6v if you want
Excellent explanation, Thanks a lot! Much more clear now on the disbursement of the power in Lipos versus Nimh. Makes sense and I figured there was a common reason but wasn't exactly sure what the reasoning was.