Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

I got a TLT-1!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: I got a TLT-1!!!

Post some pics once you stretch it..
Old 09-25-2006, 02:07 PM
R/C fan-addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay was talking to my dad about b-day presents and he said that he might give me some R/C money! Which means...

STRETCHED TLT HERE I COME! I'll also get the rub and some lights, those yokohomo window wipers (scale look!), and some other crap that I've mentioned in previous posts. Also could someone link a cheap 18+ turn motor that doesn't need a lot of brush changes and that I won't care about getting it wet of getting mud into it? Under $30 is preferable. I think I might stick with the silvercan but then again I might not, right now though I have the titan motor in it from my emaxx...
Old 09-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Lunchboxer

EMaxx motors are for 14.4V... you'd get much better result with a silvercan, I would guess! (if you are running a single pack only)
Old 09-25-2006, 05:42 PM
kostaktinos_mt

ORIGINAL: R/C fan-addict

okay was talking to my dad about b-day presents and he said that he might give me some R/C money! Which means...

STRETCHED TLT HERE I COME! I'll also get the rub and some lights, those yokohomo window wipers (scale look!), and some other crap that I've mentioned in previous posts. Also could someone link a cheap 18+ turn motor that doesn't need a lot of brush changes and that I won't care about getting it wet of getting mud into it? Under $30 is preferable. I think I might stick with the silvercan but then again I might not, right now though I have the titan motor in it from my emaxx...
what are you after? torque? speed? will this project lean towards a rock-crawler or an 'all-around' offroader? your prefered top-speed?
Old 09-25-2006, 06:47 PM
R/C fan-addict

more all around offroader, a good balance of speed and torque though I don't want top speed over 25 mph. I think the s-600 would do well but on 7.2V it won't achieve much performance. I think I might drop the EVX and 2 packs in the TLT at one point along with the s-600 motor for some insane 14.4V action! And once I strech it is should be wide and long enough so that it will have decent stability!
Old 09-25-2006, 08:16 PM
RiseAgainst017

my friend streched his by replacing the stock turnbuckles with e/t maxx turnbuckles and replacing th driveshafts with savage shaftse, its pretty cool, he does have a after market cf chassis though. but that was about it and it was a good crawler.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:52 PM
R/C fan-addict

well I'm already sold on the Junfac conversion kit as it is cheaper than RCCA's parts list for their conversion even if you skip the titanium turnbuckles and go for some steel MGT buckles instead. Plus they probably have good instructions and I know everything fits well. I also want to get their skid plate so I can just combine shipping costs.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:32 AM
rcxboy

Hmm, what about making your own rods? Thats all the junfac kit really is, and the axle braces are a waste of time, IMO the upper rods should be in a triangle anyway, formed at the center of the axle...
Old 09-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Lunchboxer

Unless the other end of the rods are mounted near the center of the chassis.. which is how a stock TLT does it...

Basically, the top 2 rods in a 4-bar setup is to provide some lateral support.. so either you form a trangle with the tip at the axle, or you do it at the chassis.....

I think the JunFac setup is to work with the stock TLT setup...

ORIGINAL: rcxboy
and the axle braces are a waste of time, IMO the upper rods should be in a triangle anyway, formed at the center of the axle...
Old 09-26-2006, 04:38 PM
R/C fan-addict

Sorry if I didn't make this clear, I am getting the Junfac link kit, pretty much it has all the links and stuff but does not include the axle braces. I wouldn't really know how to get about making my own links. I might be able to do it but I don't think it is worth saving like $20 and spending hours in the shop making the links and ending up with some not so nice looking links. Another thing is how it will all fit together. The stock dogbones are too short so I'd need to buy a set and there goes all the money I could save by making my own links!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Lunchboxer

If you have access to a lathe, you can make links VERY easily...

But I agree with ya... you saw the pics of my TLT w/ the JunFac steering kits, as well as their skid, right?!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:51 PM
R/C fan-addict

yup the skid looks sweet! That's why I want to buy it! lol I think at the moment I might not buy the rub just yet cause it costs $60 for the $25 body, 2 cans of $5 paint, $3 wipers, and $22 light kit! And I also plan on buying an Xray T2R soon as I saw I could get one for $190 and the hop ups I wanted to buy for my TA05 from rcmart cost $180 so... but I think for now I will finish my TLT project and then move on to the T2R and after that I hope to get a new radio for xmas!

So what I am buying for the TLT soon (assuming I get R/C money for my bday):

Junfac skid plate
Junfac link kit
some aluminum maxx shocks (those are for my emaxx but the stockers will go on the TLT)
Proline moab tires
RPM revolver wheels
wheel widener kit
Aluminum C hub

Does anyone know of a good set of wideners since I am not going to order parts for my TA05 from rcmart and it would cost near $50 just for the wheel wideners to be shipped from hong kong!
Old 09-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Lunchboxer

Pretty sure JunFac got a set of those wheel widener for TLT too.. you can get them all at the same time to save shipping then!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:47 PM
R/C fan-addict

eh those ones only add an inch, but I might get em... I am new to the world of 2.2" tires though so I have a few questions:

will the junfac widener allow the use of standard 2.2" wheels? What is the difference between these wheels:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMSZ1&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMSY9&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMSY7&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMSY5&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMSY3&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMSY1&P=7

would any of those wheels work?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Lunchboxer

The wideners will work with any wheel that takes 12mm hex...
Old 09-26-2006, 09:07 PM
R/C fan-addict

ok but does anyone know what wheels to use?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Lunchboxer

LOL, wouldn't that be up to YOU to choose which style you like the best?!?

Go for maximum offset wheel so it is wide..

I use the rear wheel from Wild Willy 2... They are $20 a pair (including tires) from Tower..
Old 09-26-2006, 10:48 PM
R/C fan-addict

naw I want the moab tires but I mean which wheel will work for the TLT? They are all the same style just different size holes and offset and other crap I have no idea about! Oh and for now I don't think I am going to buy the wideners since they cost like $35 if you include the increase in shipping they create. It's okay since I will not be driving very fast but if I discover that it does flip a lot I might get extended wheel hexes or if there really are a lot of rollovers I'll get the widener.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Lunchboxer

I looked at those links that you got there.. none of them listed the offset.. so you might just have to ask someone who has those wheel already to tell you..

For example, those touring car wheel typically have 0 offset.. so your steering knuckle is actually inside of the wheel, as the mounting surface is close to the outer surface of the wheel.. you don't want that in your TLT.. make it too narrow!! You want the mounting surface to be as close to the inside wheel edge as possible.... (so the wheel "sticks out")..

Sorry, never had those wheels before so I can't tell you....
Old 09-26-2006, 11:26 PM
R/C fan-addict

do you know how thick the stock TLT is? That way I could determine the hole size necesary. Yeah I think for now offset hexes will have to do.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Lunchboxer

How thick the axle?

Standard 4mm stuff like most of the Tamiya..

(except the like of Clod / TXT and the old school solid axle stuff like Lunchbox / Hornet / etc.)

do you know how thick the stock TLT is? That way I could determine the hole size necesary. Yeah I think for now offset hexes will have to do.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:18 AM
R/C fan-addict

ok thanks! I guess I'll get these wheels then: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMSY3&P=7
since they have the closest hole size to 4 mm. I looked on tower and they don't have offset 12mm hexes so I guess the TLT won't get widened for now. Also is the hex size on the TLT 12 mm or do I need to buy a set of hexes to use the revolver wheels?
Old 09-27-2006, 03:30 PM
R/C fan-addict

okay well since I am not widening it just yet I'm not going to order the c hubs. Also the HPI SF-2 servo has a permanetly attached servo horn so it doesn't work the TLT, so the TLT got the S5003.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Lunchboxer

Tamiya gives you some plastic 12mm hex.. but if you want aluminum ones, you'd need to buy that as hop-up.....

ok thanks! I guess I'll get these wheels then: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMSY3&P=7
since they have the closest hole size to 4 mm. I looked on tower and they don't have offset 12mm hexes so I guess the TLT won't get widened for now. Also is the hex size on the TLT 12 mm or do I need to buy a set of hexes to use the revolver wheels?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:05 PM
R/C fan-addict

okay well the plastic hexes are fine for me, replace em when they break! I'm going to order the links really soon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.