Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

I got a TLT-1!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 05:40 PM
R/C fan-addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got a TLT-1!!!

Well last night I took advantage of ulimatehobbies $70 shipped deal on the TLT-1 and ordered me one! I also get the Futaba S3055 servo for my savage and will take the stock savage steering servo out and use it on my TLT-1! No upgrades so far but I plan on extending the wheelbase, getting wheel wideners, putting on masher 2000's, and getting a rubicon body for it. ESC is a Duratrax Intellispeed 18T auto reverse, motor either a silvercan, Orion method 19T, or a s-600 motor. Receiver is the one from my emaxx just the velcro swap! lol should be here around Tuesday-thursday I would think. Anyway just felt like sharing...
Old 09-14-2006, 07:07 PM
mattnin

Default RE: I got a TLT-1!!!

I know something you can do

Get yourself a shaggin wagon 2

I got one but I haven't put anything together yet! Grrrr no time anymore.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:04 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

I would swap chassis or tranny if you plan on extending and widening it.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bearings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [:@]

Congrats!! If you got too much time on your hand, you can go through my TLT thread.. although a lot of the post are chatting between me and TAE, some posts are actually helpful..
Old 09-14-2006, 11:19 PM
R/C fan-addict

eh I thought about bearing but I want to use it as a trail rig so it will be relatively low speed truck so bearings weren't really worth it. Also I want to keep the total cost for the car as low as possible before I begin my project. I'm just amazed that I could get an R/C for $80 compared to all my other cars which each have well over $400 in em!

TAE: what would be the benefit of swapping chassis? I was thinking of possibly buying a sheet of aluminum plate and tracing the chassis but extending the top part of the T shape in the chassis so that I could mount the shocks even further out, but I probably won't extend it that much.

Lunchboxer: I flipped through some pages of the thread and found a lot of interesting stuff, thanks for the tip...

The only things I really have planned for this truck right now is to get it running for as cheap as possible. Then in a month or two I will extend the links and driveshafts, possibly get the wheel wideners, get some masher 2000's and some wheels, and get a rubicon body which I will paint yellow with black fenders! lol I love rubicons! I got to drive in one on an offroad course that Jeep set up at the last autoshow I went to in Boston. You went up like 45 degrees, over logs, through water, up a side incline so the car tipped to one side like crazy! It was awesome and every since I really badly want a rub. For shocks I think I'll get some savage shocks or some maxx shocks I also want to get it prepped for muddin though I might do that as I build it since winter is approaching and I want to go snow driving!
Old 09-15-2006, 08:41 AM
Lunchboxer

Bearings are always worth it.. For that $20 or so, it is one of them put it in and forget about it mod... $20 is like 5 Happy Meals.....
Old 09-15-2006, 01:54 PM
R/C fan-addict

yeah but I'm still too cheap! I wasn't planning on buying this car at all until I just saw that I'd have an extra servo, ESC, and 4 motors which I could use to get a car up and running for cheap.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:15 PM
mattnin

The benefit to swapping the chassis is you can get better crawling capability, or create a 2.2 crawler. You can also use JB weld on the diffs to lock them. The TLT has a huge following. Just go to www.rccrawler.com to the TLT section and you will see many cheap mods that you can do to it.

The SW2 chassis will cost money, but you can just make your own. I have a friend here who fabricated his own chassis out of aluminum, narrowed his tires, many mods like that for little money. He is just like you, doing everything for super cheap (which I don't understand because he makes more money than me, he is a pilot).

Another chassis was made by some guys is by using shock towers in place of chassis plates. Just take a look at the TLT forums on that site, and you will be amazed at what you can do for little $$$$ to the TLT.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:15 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

Alot more benefits than just making a crawler man. The stock design(including tranny) has very high center of gravity and uses cantilevers which if I must say, aren't the best ever designed. By getting a different chassis, you can run a normal shock setup, have a lighter chassis, and better performance in general. If you must go with stock I would at least reccomend a carbon fiber chassis.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Lunchboxer

He doesn't even want to put the bearing in and you want him to spend money on a carbon fiber chassis?!?! (just playin')
Old 09-15-2006, 03:26 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

Oh lol. I make all my own stuff so I don't realise what I'm talking about sometimes
Old 09-15-2006, 07:18 PM
R/C fan-addict

no I'm getting rid of the cantelever part almost immediately. I am going to drill some holes into the horizontal section of the chassis and install savage or maxx shocks for there to the axles. I am not going to go full out crawler on this truck, I just want it to have some crawling ability. I am not going to go out of my way to buy a new chassis or gearbox or anything for the sole purpose of crawling. I want a more general woodsland adventure truck! lol
Old 09-15-2006, 07:22 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

You ever own a crawler? It aint that easy Especially with a stock tranny and chassis.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:31 PM
R/C fan-addict

I have never owned a crawler but I imagine that for light crawling the stock chassis will be fine. Besides I am going to give it so much ground clearance that the only negative part on the chassis is the high CG.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:00 PM
duneslider

It's easy to turn the TLT-1 into an okay light duty crawler. The only real issue is the drive shafts. It can be tough finding the size you need once you lift it and stretch it a little. You could figure out how to put pede shafts on and then it would be cake to lift and stretch. I just ended up putting a pede tranny in my stock chassis and putting rustler shocks and custom links and it does pretty darn well.

Duneslider
Old 09-16-2006, 12:18 AM
WalawalaStore

Hi,

I have seen a Korean guy on Ebay selling cool chassis for TLT-1 and will eventually fit Maxx bodies.

Thx

Joaquim
Old 09-16-2006, 01:38 AM
R/C fan-addict

I think if I get an aftermarket chassis it'd be the tracer conversion kit, if you follow this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Tracer-1-10-Craw...ayphotohosting
and scroll down to the picture of the TLT with the rubicon body, you'll get an idea of what I want my truck to look like.
I want to paint it yellow though and get some more scale looking wheels but the moabs look scale and would fit my needs perfectly. I find though that there is a large gap in the front end due to the rubicon's lack of a large bumper. If I get the rubicon I might put a savage bumper up there.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:44 AM
CustomTamiyas4Life

The stock chassis has high cg no matter how much ground clearance you have because of its tranny. The largest gears and the motor are mounted ontop.Not to mention the belt slips alot. I had a tlt with new shafts and a stretch for a while and i tell you, it's nothing compared to my new tuber. It would flip so much, the bumpers get caught on everything, and you only get about 40* of articulation. The chassis isn't the biggest problem though. With a different tranny/shafts/ and stretched the stock chassis is ok bu still not great. You either go big or not at all in the crawler world. You will see that when you start working. All you wanna do is upgrade more and more lol. Everything is modded with custom things etc.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:10 AM
-Inverted-

The tracer is my favorite tlt chassis. Ive been considering getting one just for a shelf queen.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:21 PM
mindwreck

the stock tranny is rubbish. the high CG and belt are a nightmare to work with

just get a stapede tranny and shafts with tmaxx-links and knock off the bottom of the chassis lot of people do this. Its cheap the way u like it and has decent crawling.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:44 PM
R/C fan-addict

would the pede tranny work with the tracer conversion and also where would I get it and how much? Thanks!

EDIT: okay I searched ebay and saw some trannies for $50 + shipping, does anyone know of a cheaper place?
Old 09-16-2006, 07:09 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

I saw 35 on a banner ad. I'll look for it later.

If yur getting a pede tranny don't even get a tracer all it is is a lengthened tlt chassis with a bunch of holes. The stock chassis will work just as good. I used an evader tranny and 9 dollar maxx shafts off ebay. Plus I had free tuber and link material so minus the axles and electronics it was only like 20 bucks and alota time.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:53 PM
mindwreck

the tracer uses the stock tranny.. if your getting a pede or stealth tranny don't get that chassis.

ebay is probably the cheapest. you can look for a stealth tranny from a losi or associated truck. Those will work as well and are usually cheaper

. restating what i say earlier and what evaders saying. use the stock chassis. not the best, but works perfectly if your on a budget.

Or you can just make your own chassis which is what i did. It isn't really that hard. just requires some thought and planing.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:10 PM
R/C fan-addict

ok well I looked back on the RCCA article on how to extend the wheelbase for a TLT and decided to just buy the links and one of those skids that the tracer company sells, since they look really nice and would protect the servo and steering setup on the TLT. Then I'll get some new shocks for my emaxx and put the old set on my TLT (too bad they don't sell the proline powerstrokes anymore!) rubicon on and some moabs on RPM revolver wheels and I guess if the pede tranny is that much better for crawling I'll get it too and then my conversion should be about done. Should I lock both front and rear diffs when I build the TLT? I think if I do lock em then I will use hot glue gun glue rather than GB weld as I've heard JB weld will make it so that you can not use the gears anymore and I want the option to unlock if I have too.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:17 PM
mindwreck

shoe goo is what you want then..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.