Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Race 'Pede

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 10:45 AM
RCtruckRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race 'Pede

Our club is attempting to start a 19 turn class. In an attempt to just have some fun, I thought I would enter my Stampede. Previously, I had entered the Stampede in a Snake Race and did surprisingly well. When the club announced the 19T class, I knew I had to try and make the Stampede race ready. Here's what I did:

RPM carriers. This is a must.

Switched out the cheapo servo for an ACE digital. Changed the servo saver over for one from an Associated MGT.

Removed front A-Arms and replaced with ones from an HPI Rush/evo. This requires the use of a longer hinge pin, as well as replacing the steering links and tie bars. This gives the added benefit of having adjustable camber and toe. (I still need to replace the plastic tie bar with turnbuckles in the rear).

With the front about 25 mm wider, putting front wheels in the back evens things out very nicely.

Upgraded electronics with Spektrum Pro rx, and Novak Sport ESC. For the motor I chose the Checkpoint 'Money" motor. Intellect matched cells from Axiom also went in.

With the added power, I needed up beef up the drivetrain. MIP CVD's with steel outdrives and the Traxxas Pro Ball dif did the trick.

Now, here's the problem, and my question. Not enough people are showing up for the 19 turn class, and I end up with the 2 wheel mod guys. Despite the obvious disadvantage, I have mangaed to come in 2nd in my last 2 races in a row. So, if I am going to try to wheel into first, I will need a faster motor. The ESC can handle a motor down to 15 turns. I only need to decrease my lap times by about 4 seconds or so. Being a neck (gasser) I don't know an awful lot about what are the preferred motor choices. Can someone reccomend something for this application? I was going to just buy a Trinity Speed Gem Pro Amber 17 Turn Double Modified Motor, but then thought I would post the question here first. Note: Street tires for testing purposes only. Bow ties and blades for racing.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12852.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	533870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20697.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	533871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr23856.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	533872  
Old 10-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Dudelive

Default RE: Race 'Pede

I understand 4 seconds can be an awfully long time when in second place but if you keep at it the way you are now, getting used to racing and the track and maybe even different tires or suspension setup just may decrease that 4 second margin some.

It is not always the fastest that wins but the most consistant. Keep at it, you are off to a good start.
Good luck

Thanks
Dudelive
Old 10-02-2006, 03:57 PM
RCtruckRacer

lol

The only reason I got second was because I rarely get marshalled anymore. I hit my lines almost everytime. And I have tweaked the suspension every time I am out on the track. The last race, my lap times were only about 3 or so seconds apart - about 44-47 seconds. I know I can make up at least 1 to 2 seconds on our 140' straight with a faster motor. I just don't know much about elec motors. I've been strictly a gasser for all the time I have been racing. I'd ask some of our club members this question, but I want to surprise them the next time I get stuck with the 2 Wheel Mod guys because there aren't enough to make a 19 turn class. If I can run my (now highly modified) Stampede against people with B4's, T4's and 15 turn motors, and not get bown off the track, I'd say I am getting the hang of this racing thing!

Anyway, if someone could give some opinions on motors - should I go to a 15 turn, will a 17 turn mod motor be much faster than my Checkpoint 19T spec, or maybe even suggest something else... I had considered going brushless, but I am a bit turned off by the expense. After all, the truck is purpose built for the 19 turn class. I just want another option for when that class doesn't run.
Thanks!
Old 10-02-2006, 04:01 PM
-Inverted-

Since you already have a checkpoint, why not get another checkpoint, just with a lower turn. They are great motors.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:02 PM
RCtruckRacer

I believe 13 turns is the next motor up for Checkpoint? At least that was all I saw on the website. That was the first thing I thought of, but thanks!

BTW, you race up at A-main? I need to get up there, I understand they have a 19 turn class!
Old 10-02-2006, 04:13 PM
-Inverted-

ORIGINAL: RCtruckRacer

I believe 13 turns is the next motor up for Checkpoint? At least that was all I saw on the website. That was the first thing I thought of, but thanks!

BTW, you race up at A-main? I need to get up there, I understand they have a 19 turn class!
The next checkpoint is a 13 turn. I would reccomend this motor here.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJAJ4&P=7

No I don't race at A-Main, but I would like to. My class is on Tuesday, which is just a bad time for me. I need to get a 1/10 scale ST so I can go there on the weekends. Be aware though, A-main is packed to the brim with Losi's and Associated's, so your stampede may have a difficult chance.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:48 PM
RCtruckRacer

Yes, I know. I race in the NWCT so I know the Gullickson's etc of the world up there will hand my A to me. But, the challenge! Besides, I have an AD2 to race up there now that they will be allowing nitro.

Thanks for the motor suggestion. I may give that a try.