Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-Maxx Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:27 AM
plasma 327

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Official E-Maxx Thread

I think I will stay away from Alum bulkhead's... If I crash it again and I will I would rather replace bulkhead's than a chassis plate....
The chassis plate would break before alum bulks would... Besides, they are cheap and less time to replace than tearing the whole chassis apart IMO....
I am not a big fan of Alum as it bends, shears fasteners, and lots of weight and just a general pain in the *****....
As far as the bird bath, it is is history!!!! LOL!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: plasma 327

I think I will stay away from Alum bulkhead's... If I crash it again and I will I would rather replace bulkhead's than a chassis plate....
The chassis plate would break before alum bulks would... Besides, they are cheap and less time to replace than tearing the whole chassis apart IMO....
I am not a big fan of Alum as it bends, shears fasteners, and lots of weight and just a general pain in the *****....
Good point
As you can see from this pic, I am not a big fan of aluminum either, except for the right places. An aluminum chassis is one of them.
PS, this truck is for sale and fully loaded if anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93362.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	1152260  
Old 03-07-2009, 11:47 AM
plasma 327

Wheelnut,
I will buy the tires and rims....
Let me know????
Old 03-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Wheelnut

Sorry, package deal. It is fully loaded and RTR with Dual 970's and Lipos. I will put up an ad later and not take up more thread space. Sorry.

Edit; For those of you looking for GREAT Tires,
In my opinion, those are the best tires in the market. Losi Zombie Max in Proline wheels. The Zombie Max tires are very soft and the grippiest tires I have ever had and seem to work on all surfaces equally. Exept for pavement of course, they would wear down very quickly.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:12 PM
plasma 327

Ok,
I have those on my one of my Revo's and love them...
Old 03-07-2009, 12:35 PM
TraxxasOffroader

hey Wheelnut, love the truck. i was thinking of doin almost the exact same thing to mine, except i have to run the stock motors for a bit, because i cant afford anything for about nother month to month and a half, and even then i may have to not do the e-maxx cause i need to buy a real truck, but yours is definetly my inspiration of doing the whole thing.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: TraxxasOffroader

hey Wheelnut, love the truck. i was thinking of doin almost the exact same thing to mine, except i have to run the stock motors for a bit, because i cant afford anything for about nother month to month and a half, and even then i may have to not do the e-maxx cause i need to buy a real truck, but yours is definetly my inspiration of doing the whole thing.
Thanks, it was a ton of money
Old 03-07-2009, 02:32 PM
TraxxasOffroader

yeah man, i know its atleast $120 US for the rpm parts alone, and im in canada so theres just that much more on it.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:20 PM
phoenex1

I just finished the install of the 2 new motors an did a test run. Runs OK but no wheelies Lots of torque, tears up some grass and dirt. What gear do you run in with the large pinions installed? I've tried both and don't really notice any difference but, it seems to have more punch if I start in 2nd gear. Are you using the stock spur and ESC?

Any idea why no wheelies? - I changed the slipper pegs during the upgrade and I tested to make sure both engines were running, all good soldered connections and 3300 ma batteries.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Wheelnut

What motors are you talking about??
Old 03-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Redvanmafia

i would love a new e-maxx or e-revo, thoes kershaw design motors are huge, i would run the 700ho's
Old 03-07-2009, 07:57 PM
phoenex1

The 700's like you are using-Thought I might be missing something?
Old 03-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: phoenex1

The 700's like you are using-Thought I might be missing something?
If you look closely at the pictures on the previous page, you will see that I am running the 970's.
My son is running the 700's.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Redvanmafia

thoes 970's must weigh a ton, how does the super duty run with them? any downsides?
Old 03-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Wheelnut

A V8 weighs alot too.... There are no Downsides, the Novak Super Duty is a Rock Solid esc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTmXVsF-9aY
Old 03-08-2009, 09:40 AM
trx1
My Feedback: (2)

this should b under the MONSTER TRUCK forum.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Wheelnut

You are right, but from what I remember, they don't have an electric section there.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:47 AM
TraxxasOffroader

yeah most of the stuff under the monster truck forum are nitro from what i could find
Old 03-16-2009, 09:55 AM
maybelater29
My Feedback: (1)

Okay......::big exhale::.....After reading all 44 pages I have 1 question. I got a new 3905 and am looking for new batteries for it. I read all about who liked what brand and which were beter for either lipo and NIMH....The one thing I didn't read was anybody comparing performance between a good set of 7-cell 4200+mAh and a good set of 2s 4000+mAh 25+C lipo's.....I know 14 nimh cells will give you 16.8v and 2s lipo will be 14.8(not looking at the peak voltage after charge) Right now I'm stock and want to know which pack will give me the highest speed and longest runtimes? I plan on going with a new Tekin RX8 BL setup in a few months but for now I need the best battery option. Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I have two sets of 7 cell packs- One GP3700 set and one IB3800 set for my EMaxx. I don't have them on me, but I can bring them out next week and you can see 7 cell nimhs for yourself. Even though the 2S lipos are more efficient, I think the higher voltage of the nimhs will make the truck quite a bit faster with slightly lower run times.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:08 AM
maybelater29
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

I have two sets of 7 cell packs- One GP3700 set and one IB3800 set for my EMaxx. I don't have them on me, but I can bring them out next week and you can see 7 cell nimhs for yourself. Even though the 2S lipos are more efficient, I think the higher voltage of the nimhs will make the truck quite a bit faster with slightly lower run times.

I was thinking that but also thinking about how the lipo's will have more voltage after about 5 minutes of run time.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Figured I would go ahead and post my Maxx since my 151 page Beater Builds Thread got closed... []

First up, a list of upgraded parts

FLM aluminum Hybrid Bulks (bulk and diff case machined into 1 unit)
FLM aluminum diff cups
RPM arms all around (blue)
THS and Traxxas CVD's
Golden Horizons aluminum shock towers (blue)
Golden Horizons aluminum chassis braces (blue)
Golden Horizons full aluminum steering (blue)
OFNA Ultra LX One 1/8 buggy fronts (1 on each corner)
Duratrax aluminum servo guard
RCM steel idler gear
RRP steel slipper with custom slipper/spring lockout
Tranny flip and locked in 2nd
GorillaMaxx single mount motor plate
Proline 23mm hexs

For electronics -

Motor - Medusa 36-80 2200Kv V2 Afterburner
ESC - Castle Creations Mamba Monster Max
Battery - two Protek 2S 4000mAh 30C packs in series for 4S
Tx/Rx - Stock TQ3 Tx and Rx.... [sm=red_smile.gif]
And currently being installed- Yeah Racing light kit (12 LED's)

Here is a picture of it that I edited in GIMP to have a ghost body -

Old 03-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Wheelnut

Cool, do you have some vids of that bad boy?

Why did your thread get closed?
Old 03-22-2009, 02:34 PM
TraxxasOffroader

Just got my e-maxx back together after a accident with a dock ladder last weekend. The lake is frozen so i decided to run my dad's e-maxx down there, and of course, i hit the only post on the lake. Oh well, i fixed his truck with the parts from my e-maxx (we both have them), and then i got RPM a-arms for the front of my truck. (i broke an a-arm and bent a shock shaft in half on his truck). So got it together yesterday, and my friend and I finished the discharge process of my Max Amps, so I took it out today, and what a blast! The Max Amps have so much more power than the venom's i was using (bit more power and about 10 mins of runtime difference), and i think i need to tighten my slipper clutch, because the truck wouldnt take off to hard, just could hear it whining. In all i am very pleased with the service the hobby shop gave me, impressed with the fit of the parts, and very happy wit the max Amps. In all a good day i would say.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

Cool, do you have some vids of that bad boy?

Why did your thread get closed?
Sadly I don't, my own fault though... ruined my camera by taping it to my truggy for an onboard video. The dirt, vibration, a couple flips, and my not so great driving killed it. Lens is stuck in half open position and the screen just comes up with Lens Error, so there won't be videos for a while. Have to use my GF's camera just for pictures and she wont let me use it for a video because she thinks I am going to run into the camera tripod with the RC .

Long story, best not discuss it here, the moderators might get angry.

Anyway, here are some more pics Wheelnut -

These pics were a while ago before I had the MMM and RRP spur and before I installed the front FLM hybrid bulk

And actually here is a link to a video of when it had the MM (now has an MMM). This video showed how the MM was shutting off and on because it couldn't handle that big 36-80 motor. And that video really doesn't do it justice in showing its power because of the ESC shutting off, and the slipper was set a bit loose. This was taken before I fried my camera from doing an onboard video on my truggy.
http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/l...t=DSCN2045.flv

And TraxxasOffroader, just so you know, MaxAmps, or MaxCraps as they are called over on RCM, are some of the most over-rated LiPo's out there, and way too expensive. People on RCM have done EagleTree data logging and other various tests on the packs, and turns out they do not meet the ratings that MaxAmps gives them. I highly recommend Zippy LiPo's from Hobbycity. Even though they are a Chinese based company and ship out of China, they make a great LiPo, everyone I know who has bought them loves them, and they meet their given ratings, and they can be had for a very low price (A 5S 5000mAh 20C-30C Zippy pack only costs $110, compared to a MaxAmps that would probably cost around $250+). Also, NeuEnergy or any LiPo's that use PolyQuest and Enerland cells are top of the line, best you can get, and still cheaper than MaxAmps. Those MaxAmps may be fine for your application, but if anything happens to them, get rid of them and get yourself a Zippy pack from HobbyCity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.