Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-Maxx Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:41 AM
cubmaster
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-Maxx Thread

Feigeos are a good bargin but what about a bargin on a ESC for Brushless with reverse. I'd like to go brushless but I'd feel ALLOT better about doing it for less than $200
Old 05-05-2007, 01:28 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just search around. I bought my Novak HV 4400 for 200.00 ready to drop in, took 10 minutes and i was bashing right away!
Old 05-05-2007, 01:36 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Hey guys. I bought an Emaxx last November. I first ran it on 6-cell 3000's. Then I ran it on some 6-cell IB4200s. Yeah second gear wheelies are more than possible! I run it stock so far, since I decided to try to keep it cheap for as long as possible and not to spend too much into it, because I want to hop up my Rustler with a MM5700 soon. But yeah it's hard not to spend money on the Emaxx.

After seeing the mushy steering from the stock servo, I very soon replaced it with a Hitiec 5645MG digital servo (the digital-ness part is almost useless since the mass of the tires never quite let it center perfectly). However the 133in/oz of torque is quite the improvement over the stock 80in/oz joke it came with. Still I feel it could use a faster servo, since this one is on the slower side of things.

I broke the rear bulkhead from flipping over from wheelies and mainly due to flipping forward nose over first by shifting into 1st gear going full speed in 2nd and hitting the brakes. After getting a hairlike crack again in the same spot where it broke the first time, I replaced it with a Dynamite Aluminum rear bulkhead.

Also, I twisted and finally a couple of days ago broke off one of the rear half shafts where it connects to the diff output. I replaced the rear shafts with MIP CVDs. Guess popping wheelies will do that. The fronts have yet to even twist.

To recap my mods so far:
- Hitec 5645MG servo 133/160 in/oz. of torque - had to remove servo saver to fit the new servo horn...
- Moved the shocks to the outter most mount on the arms, reduces turn-flipping by a lot.
- Aluminum rear bulkheads - hopefully this won't cause something even more annoying to replace to break. A dozen screws are bad enough.
- Rear MIP CVDs - hopefully I won't be breaking them anytime soon with the stock motors and IB4200s
- RPM chrome front bumper - broke the right half off the stock one... somehow..
- T-Maxx 3.3 grey front skid plate (for appearance sake) - broke 2 skid plates from hitting hard.

- Hopefully a new truck body. Stock one is getting ripped around the rear bed corners.. Too many wheely flips....
- In the di....s....... tant future I'll fit the Novak HV-Maxx 6.5 or similar so I won't worry about wearing out motor brushes...
Old 05-05-2007, 01:42 AM
JUCD VPR

good stuff, post pics
Old 05-05-2007, 02:17 AM
mindwreck

you can get the mamba esc and a feigao with some wheelin and dealing here and there. starluckrc used to have deals for less than 200. don't think they have any suitable setup for the e-maxx this time.

heres one of my e-maxxes i got off ebay.just has some skid plates and misc, mostly stock. my 2nd one is coming early next week.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:58 PM
JUCD VPR

Well wouldn't you know i bought a new aluminum bulkhead because i broke the plastic one, figured the plastic rear would hold up for a while and i'd get the alum rear bulk later.... NOPE cracked that thing in half under the shock tower yesterday, Well after i replace these i wonder what else will break, i've pretty much added everything i can to this money pit!
Old 05-06-2007, 09:50 PM
mindwreck

this hobby is a never ending money pit. i accepted that when i first started, I just stock up on some parts so my fun doesn't get interrupted. ebay is great for that. i get plastic bulkheads on ebay for like 99 cents, and they last pretty long.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Bayou_flyer

question? how much juice is going to my steering servo when running on 14.4V? servos have more torque on 6V is that what my truck is giving to my servo?
Old 05-10-2007, 11:28 AM
hunter306

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bayou_flyer

question? how much juice is going to my steering servo when running on 14.4V? servos have more torque on 6V is that what my truck is giving to my servo?
Depends on the ESC. I'm pretty sure the HV-Maxx runs a 6v line for the Servos.

you can easily test that with a Multimeter though, just put the probes on the wires coming from your ESC (Careful not to short it out!)
Old 05-10-2007, 01:24 PM
mindwreck

if your runnign the stock evx in your e-maxx its 5v. Yes your servos will have more torque at 6v.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:25 PM
cookie monster

im waiting on some aluminum bulks for the rear. once i get them ill be out and bashing again. i locked out my rear diff so hopefully it should climb a bit better.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:05 PM
woodymaxx
My Feedback: (4)

Hello I am going to be getting the hv maxx 4.5 for my truck. what should I get for the transmission to make it stand up to all the power?
Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 PM
BoysToys

ORIGINAL: woodymaxx

Hello I am going to be getting the hv maxx 4.5 for my truck. what should I get for the transmission to make it stand up to all the power?
I just put a HV-Maxx 4.5 in my E and used a set of [link=http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=RCM03idler]RC Monster Steel Idlers[/link] in my tranny. If you have not upgraded the rest of your drivetrain you had better get ready to because it will not last very long. I also upgraded my diffs with [link=http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=FLM13010&cat=31]FLM Aluminum Diff Cups w/3mm screws[/link] and 3.3 diff housings with 4 screws instead of my old ones with 2 screws. While I was at it I ditched my old center MIP CVD's and went with a set of [link=http://home.comcast.net/~milemarkers/E-maxxOptions.htm]Kershaw Designs Center Dogbones[/link]. I already had RD Logics outer CVDs. I have been running my stock slipper with 12 pegs but am going to get either the Robinson Racing Dual Disc slipper or the Stobe setup next time I get paid. If I have enough cash I also want to get a set of FLM aluminum combo bulks at the same time. When will it ever end???? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Here is a couple of recent pics of my truck.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:41 PM
mindwreck

NICE truck boytoy. did you just put in the rpm stuff? looks a little too clean

the money thing is what this hobbys all about. I always tell my self i can only spend this much per month.... hopeless...
Old 05-14-2007, 11:51 PM
BoysToys

ORIGINAL: mindwreck

NICE truck boytoy. did you just put in the rpm stuff? looks a little too clean

the money thing is what this hobbys all about. I always tell my self i can only spend this much per month.... hopeless...
Thanks for the compliment. Actually all the RPM stuff is about a year old. I just spray it down with denatured alcohol and blow it off my air compressor after bashing. It seems to keep it nice and clean looking.

Ohh yeah and its not boytoy like Madonna it is "BoysToys" that is what my wife calls all of my RC stuff since myself and my two young sons are always "playing" with them. I just don't want anybody to get the wrong idea about me! [:-] hahaha
Old 05-15-2007, 02:51 AM
mindwreck

hmm. i should do that too. i ususaly let the mud dry into cakes then shake them off the next day. majority of it is clean but still leaves the light dirt residue.

i typed that name on purpose. haha. i won't do it again
Old 05-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Bayou_flyer

NICE TRUCK!! my girl friend calls them toys too

i found this evx on ebay if any one needs one its not too expensive and already has deans

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-Emaxx-E-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-20-2007, 06:15 PM
off road mania

hi
i am buying 7 cell batteries and wondering if this will fit http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLFW5&P=ML
now i know it will NOT work in stock battery holders, but will they fit under-neath. if they can can you give me some info on how to.

thanks
Old 05-20-2007, 07:48 PM
cookie monster

i broke my one motor. im not sure how but the fan thing inside the can broke and the motor doesnt work. im gonna upgrade to the s600's.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:37 PM
woodymaxx
My Feedback: (4)

Does anyone have a 4.5 hv maxx they would like to sell? Or know where I can get one cheap? Thanks!
Old 05-22-2007, 04:48 PM
chris b

Hey all,
I have a stock E-Maxx that I purchased last year and while it is not an obsession at this point, I would like more power. I saw a Mamba motor combo with ESC (the motor was $220 and 7700kv ??-I THINK-??) and figured I would ask someone here, as the hobby store was not 100% that it would be the best choice. I am running completely stock, 14.4 NiMh, I doubt I will ever go LiPo, but will be buying a new steering servo here shortly (advise on that too if you like! I figured about... 100oz torque should work..??)
I understand there are several versions of this motor and wondered what would be the best choice for my setup.
I am into raw power, wheelies and getting off the line to a good top speed in a short space. I drive mainly dirt and dust, grass and mud (not bogging) and occationaly try my luck at some very basic rock crawling (usually hopping)
I figure top end speed is going to increase no matter what I put in it, so thought it really wasnt part of the equation - unless I am wrong?
Advice anyone...
Thanks,
Chris B
Old 05-22-2007, 04:53 PM
mindwreck

the mamba motors weren't made to take that kind of abuse. They were made for little stadium truck and onroad stuff. a similar price to teh mamba system would be to get the mamba ESC and a feigao 540XL motor.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:10 PM
chris b

the mamba motors weren't made to take that kind of abuse. They were made for little stadium truck and onroad stuff. a similar price to teh mamba system would be to get the mamba ESC and a feigao 540XL motor.
That surprises me, this motor was bigger than the stock 540 in the car! If that huge motor is made for a little stadium truck, how big are the motors for mine? Where could I see one of these Feigao 540XL motors? Is there a motor/ESC combo out there that would work for what I need instead? I am really not a car savvy kinda guy, I am mainly heli's and airplanes.
Just curious...
Old 05-22-2007, 07:41 PM
mindwreck

heres a 9XL. depending how heavy your e-maxx. you might neeed to get a higher turn one. Get the mamba esc itself and it would work with this motor.

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...540C_XL&cat=20
Old 05-22-2007, 09:28 PM
chris b

heres a 9XL. depending how heavy your e-maxx. you might neeed to get a higher turn one. Get the mamba esc itself and it would work with this motor.

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...540C_XL&cat=20
I just weighed my car and it is around 10Lbs (give or take 8oz) with batteries. What do you think? I am kinda hoping that someone can give me a recomendation based on just the numbers, per say. I dont have any previous experience with electric cars, so I really have no clue - to be perectly honest! I would rather be over powered than under, but in the same breath, I dont want to have to change the batteries I amusing (2 x 3300's) to higher rated cells either.
I am turning out to be a real P.I.T.A. huh...!
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.