Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Stampede first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 12:56 PM
duneslider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampede first impressions

Well, I bought a stampede to run as a pure basher. It finally arrived and today I finally got to take it out for a spin. Now, I have driven older pedes and rustlers so I know how they run. The looks of the new xl5 pede are much much better in my opinion. I think traxxas has needed to update the look for a long time.

I pulled the stock radio and put in my spektrum. I have used the traxxas radio in the past and really don't mind it but figured I would be happier with my spektrum.

With a freshly peaked gp3600 I was ready to see how the new xl5 esc and titan motor were. All I can say is I am very impressed. I haven't driven any RTR out of the box that has this kind of speed. I don't even have the bigger pinion on to get the higher speeds. I honestly would have to say it is just as fast as my evader with the ss4300. I was actually quite shocked! I don't know if I really will want to get anything faster for quite some time.

About two minutes into the run I slide backwards into the curbs and heard a horrible noise. The impact caused the motor to shift and the pinion barely made contact with the spur. My fault, I should have checked those screws before running. I opened it up and luckily the pinion had just barely taken the tips off the spur. I was able to set it back up and go out to finish my run only to find the rain had returned. So, I will have to wait for the rain to stop to finish the run. I guess it will give me time to put the rpm bearing carriers on.

So, I am very pleased with the updates traxxas has made and feel this will be a fantastic basher.
Duneslider
Old 10-07-2006, 01:13 PM
RCtruckRacer

Default RE: Stampede first impressions

My 'Pede has been the ultimate RC for me. Hardly ever breaks, and when it does its because I screwed up. I beat the crap out of mine for years. Then a couple of months ago our club started a vintage/19 turn class so I fixed it up as a racer. Awesome is all I can say for such a high COG vehicle (compared to the old gold pan Associateds I have to run against). I would reccomend a 'Pede to anyone, and especially to someone just starting out in RC.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:48 AM
s7jstep1

i have a t4 right now but i want to get a stampede to use as a basher. i am going to get the xl5. how fast does it go with a 6 cell battery?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:08 AM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

Sounds like quite an improvement over the last Stampede. Any other improvements on the truck besides the motor/esc and diffrent colored parts?
Old 10-08-2006, 08:59 AM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only other improvements other then esc motor and colors is the slipper. It is just like the revo. It works extremely well. That part, and that part alone, is what changed my mind from buyin a cheap used one. I got the xl-5. Just when you get one you must get the rpm carriers w/ 5 x 11 bearings. I bought bearings w/ my truck(stock size) and they didn't last 5 runs. Otherwise the truck is awesome. I said some nasty things when the bearings went (about Traxxas) but now I'm happy as can be w/ it. Super fast for an rtr. FUN, FUN, FUN
Old 10-08-2006, 10:35 AM
duneslider

ORIGINAL: s7jstep1

i have a t4 right now but i want to get a stampede to use as a basher. i am going to get the xl5. how fast does it go with a 6 cell battery?

I don't know exactly how fast but from driving it I are guessing it is about 25 with a 6-cell maybe a tad faster. I have nice gp batts though. Less batts might not be as fast. I think the stock rusty is just as fast as my evader with the ss4300. I was very impressed with the speed. Compared to how fast the old pedes and rustys were these are much faster. I didn't believe it until I had one and tried it.

Duneslider
Old 10-08-2006, 10:43 AM
ElToroLoco.

hey good choice of car!!
i am going to get the xl5. how fast does it go with a 6 cell battery?
The stampede goes 25mph with 6 cells and stock gearing, the rustler goes about 27mph (6 cell/stock gearing). If you have 7 cells and the optional gearing, the pede goes 30mph and the rusty 35.