Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New Stampede better than old version ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 03:14 PM
AdSCFT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Stampede better than old version ?

It must be better, right?
But how better?
ESC? motor? Anything else?
Thanks.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:25 PM
pm5k

Default RE: New Stampede better than old version ?

It has a better esc a faster motor and better slipper clutch and of course rims and tires. Thats what I know correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Shmoke_fatsk
Banned

And i herd that they stoped making the old Traxxas rustler and stampede, and they were gonna continue with the new XL-5'S![X(]

they still sell the old verisons but i think they stoped prodection so when the old ones are gone there gone![X(]
Old 10-12-2006, 06:36 PM
duneslider

I just bought one and out of the box it is faster than one of the old ones. Handling and durability are the same. I like the looks of the new wheels and bodies a lot more. The slipper is supposed to be better but I don't think that is that big of a deal. If you aren't concerned with looks, and the slightly better motor and esc don't really interest you, then go for the old one since they are cheaper.

Duneslider
Old 10-12-2006, 10:47 PM
AdSCFT

The new one is only 20~30 more bucks, anyway.
btw, what exactly is the turn number when talking about a motor? the new one has 12T motor, but for the old one, people ususally use 20T, 19T.
Does this 12T give MUCH MORE torque?

ORIGINAL: duneslider

If you aren't concerned with looks, and the slightly better motor and esc don't really interest you, then go for the old one since they are cheaper.

Duneslider
Old 10-12-2006, 10:56 PM
duneslider

That's what I thought about the price. I just went for it. You need to remember that the titan is a 550 size motor and not a 540. The 12t titan is a pretty good out of the box motor. It seems much faster than I was expecting. It does have more torque. I am not sure how the titan compares to a good 19t. I would think a good 19t would be similar to the titan but maybe a little less torque.

Duneslider
Old 10-12-2006, 11:43 PM
SS5800EvADer

well what i read is that the new grey plastic is more flexable so it wont snap as easily

also it is 11% lighter then the old plastic

so i guess the new plastice is better
Old 10-13-2006, 03:26 PM
poe

The new 12T would not have as much torque as the old 20T, (less turns= more speed) (more turns= more torque)
Old 10-13-2006, 04:47 PM
duneslider

ORIGINAL: poe

The new 12T would not have as much torque as the old 20T, (less turns= more speed) (more turns= more torque)
Actually, it has a TON more torque than the old 20t stinger. You have to remember that the old motor is a 540 can. The new is a 550. Lots more torque.

Duneslider
Old 10-13-2006, 05:44 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Not to mention the stinger is a turd that lasts forever, and only wakes up if you steal the amateur, and put it into another motor can
Old 10-13-2006, 06:01 PM
poe

o well, in a normal situation the 20T would have more torque. I didnt know the titan was a 550, but i dont think it would make that big of a difference anyways.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:38 PM
duneslider

o well, in a normal situation the 20T would have more torque. I didnt know the titan was a 550, but i dont think it would make that big of a difference anyways.
I have both and trust me the titan makes a TON more torque. You can't even compare the two. Like previously said, the stinger is a TURD. I am actually pretty impressed with the titan. I raced a neighbor with a quad mag and totally blew him away. For an RTR motor the titan is very impressive.

Duneslider
Old 10-13-2006, 07:18 PM
poe

Im sure the titan is a great motor i was just saying, in normal sircumstances. I know the old stinger was a slow piece, i used to have an old pede.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:26 PM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

Im sure the titan is a great motor i was just saying, in normal sircumstances. I know the old stinger was a slow piece, i used to have an old pede.
Ironic enough, everybody talks about the durability of the stinger but one of the motor leads came right off mine after not that many runs. Ah well, a novak brushless > that old stinger!

And just for the record, the titan is CRUSHING the stinger in torque, speed, and probably efficency too. The stinger isn't designed to be a good motor IMO, its designed to be a motor thats going to last longer than you and your grandkids (hyperbole).
Old 10-13-2006, 09:07 PM
billage

Yeah the stinger will last long long long time

I love SS5800, only ran it once so far, and i love it..
Old 10-15-2006, 10:57 PM
bobbyroydavis

what good esc will go good with the titan 550 to get the max power ot of it with out burning it up ???
Old 10-15-2006, 11:10 PM
hemiblas

Any speed control that handles motors down to 15 turn 540 can will work with the titan 550. I am running an xl-5 ruslter with 8 cells and it is pretty fast. Even with the 7 cell pack the titan 550 is a very impressive motor. oh ya dont use the optional gear on those to get the extra speed. All the torque goes bye bye if you do that and the motor overheats. Cool this is the stock esc with the xl-5 is rated for up to 8 cells too.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:44 PM
cougartech67

Hey, Do you think the new Stampede XL-5 ESC can handle the original Titan 550 21-Turn motor? I just bought a new stampede and I am looking for much more torque than speed. The new titan 550 12-Turn motor is a 550 sized can, and so is the 21-turn model. Is there something that I am missing, or should be looking out for? Thanks,
Old 11-04-2006, 10:59 PM
cougartech67

The question was, is the New Stampede better than the Old Stampede. Here are my opinions. Mostly, Yes. There are many new upgrades to appreciate. The only issue that I had, and its a big one, is the very wimpy Titan 12 turn motor. Yes, this motor has better speeds, but, it lacks any torque. What good is speeding at 25 mph, if I cannot move myself out of a small grass or dirt area? This is what my initial tests showed me. Lucky for me, I began in this RC hobby as a E-maxx Owner so I have lots of spare Emaxx parts lying around. I took one of my spare Titan 550 23-Turn Emaxx motors and installed it into my New Stampede. And there you have it, lots of dirt threading torque to get this Stampede moving in a hurry. Before I made this decision to change motors, I was looking for the specifications for the XL-5 ESC that comes with the New Stampede. I am not sure if this ESC can handle the 23-Turn motor. Its higher RPM motors like the Titan 12-Turn that usually would overheat an ESC. The Emaxx motor is almost 2x the Motor Turns, so it should not overheat the ESC, I would think anyhow. Any suggestions, thoughts, or comments out there regarding the ESC handline the 23-Turn motor are most appreciated. Some people may say, WHY? The 12-Turn motor rocks with higher speeds. This is true, but, even taking my New Stamped to a small park, the 12-Turn motor got stuck in any small grass or dirt area. It couldnt even climb over a small stone or brick step. Yes, I have a new 3800mah battery pack installed, so I know its not the battery pack. For this new stampede kit, its really made for racing on totally flat surfaces or in a racing forum. Well, that's just my input anyway. There are many 550 canned motor options out there, so no problems there. Hey that's what this RC hobby is all about, modifying and making the truck suit your own personal needs.......
Old 04-30-2007, 11:58 AM
dickster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I read this before I bought a 19t motor for my new Stampede (to replace one of the std E-Maxx cans I was using) [&o]
I was expecting great performance over the std setup.