Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

TC4 set up Question/problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 09:29 PM
jeffbhhs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC4 set up Question/problem

Hey everyone, I am pretty new to the sport and just purchased a TC4 RTR...Changed the motor to a 27t stock so that I can race at the local track and upgraded the stock tires to foam ones... The track that I race at is a carpet oval, not sure how big though...The problem I am having is that I have a ton of overstearing happening, which is causing me to spin out a lot, I also notice I am having a hard time getting the car to run in a straight line on straight-aways...(Played with the controller settings some trying to fix it, but no real help there) The question I have for you guys would be do you have any set-up advice that could help me get around the track better...Also what would be a good choice and brand of tire compounds for foams...Also what would be some upgrades that could help me out... Thanks in adnvance Jeff
Old 11-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: TC4 set up Question/problem

That's strange.. you figured the RTR would come w/ a regular setting..

Anyway, oversteering meaning your rear breaks traction first... you can try to run softer spring on the back, or back out the pre-load some... and then, you can use a softer anti-roll bar if you are running one.. and you can dial in some negative camber on the back..

All that will add some understeer to your car...

Good luck!!
Old 11-01-2006, 01:53 PM
weracerc

rtr is a blue spring 17 lbs rate with no sway bars - i run carpet and use the standard factory team set sheets to get mny car dialed in silver 14.5 lbs springs front black swat bar - green 12.0 lbs rear springs and black sway bar - 5mm ride height standard dif in the rear and one way in the front....car ran pretty good
Old 11-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Adamg-RCU

blue springs are useless on carpet with foam tires. Find the setup sheet for the Factory Team TC4 to see the proper springs for foam-carpet. My FTTC4 came with blue springs, so I used them the first race. The next race I had my AE spring kit, so I switched to the ones they recommend, and it was a huge improvement.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:55 PM
jeffbhhs

I just checked on tower hobbies for the spring set, is this the correct one?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAZU0&P=7

Thanks agian for the help
Old 11-02-2006, 02:29 AM
Adamg-RCU

Yep, that's the one I bought.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:44 AM
jeffbhhs

ORIGINAL: Adamg-RCU

blue springs are useless on carpet with foam tires. Find the setup sheet for the Factory Team TC4 to see the proper springs for foam-carpet. My FTTC4 came with blue springs, so I used them the first race. The next race I had my AE spring kit, so I switched to the ones they recommend, and it was a huge improvement.
Where can I find the setup sheets for ovals? I looked on google and was only able to find the on road set ups...Thanks again btw I ordered those new springs and a sway bar hopefully it will help out...Yesterday I had the chance to run at the local track and I was doing ok until I found out that I was going around the track in the opposite direction...The car handled pretty good going clockwise, but counterclockwise I was into the wall a lot...I think another problem I am having is that my radio is bad, the one that comes with the TC4 RTR does not seem to be that good... I might have to upgrade it in the near future...
Old 11-02-2006, 12:50 PM
weracerc

http://teamassociated.com/racerhub/setup_sheets.htm

I switched to a futaba 2PL 75AM radio and hi tec 645 metal gear servo - also upgraded to LRP v7.1 speed control - now i have a race car
Old 11-02-2006, 12:57 PM
weracerc

http://home.sc.rr.com/mlufaso/rc/TC4/index.html

another good set up source - I raced with this guy a few times and he told me a lot of set tips that work great on the TC 4 whether it is an RTR (entry level car) - Team Kit (better parts almost a race car) or Factory Team Kit (best parts race car)
Old 11-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Shake n Bake

are you runnin traction compound?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Access

Less oversteer:
Move the battery back to shift the weight balance onto the rear wheels.
Looser springs in the rear than the front.
Loosen the rear ball diff a little bit, but not so much that it's looser than the front.
And accelerate slightly once you are halfway through the turn, since it is 4WD and accelerating shifts the weight to the rear wheels.

Car won't go in a straight line:
Make sure the wear on your wheels is even, and they are pointed perfectly straight.
Make sure tires are optimum for the surface. Foam tires especially have to be carefully matched.
Tighten the rear ball diff.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:03 PM
jeffbhhs

I am running Jack the Gripper traction compound, full application on back and about 1/4 to 1/2 on front...
Old 11-02-2006, 10:07 PM
jeffbhhs

ORIGINAL: Access

Less oversteer:
Move the battery back to shift the weight balance onto the rear wheels.
Looser springs in the rear than the front.
Loosen the rear ball diff a little bit, but not so much that it's looser than the front.
And accelerate slightly once you are halfway through the turn, since it is 4WD and accelerating shifts the weight to the rear wheels.

Car won't go in a straight line:
Make sure the wear on your wheels is even, and they are pointed perfectly straight.
Make sure tires are optimum for the surface. Foam tires especially have to be carefully matched.
Tighten the rear ball diff.
To get the wheels pointed straight, should I just mess with the radio, or is there an adjustment in the car that can be made?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Access

For small, quick adjustments just use the radio, especially for a LTO or RTO car.
If it's an oval track with perfectly even corners, you can set your radio steering range such that the max, or a point you can recognize, is what you need to make the turn.
This page goes into a lot more detail than any post.
http://home.tiscali.be/be067749/58/
Old 11-03-2006, 11:49 AM
jeffbhhs

Thanks for the reply, I ordered some new things for the car ( ie sway bar, spring sets) so I am hoping with all the information that I am getting I will be able to make my car into something I can race...
Old 11-03-2006, 11:10 PM
jeffbhhs

I was also wondering what brand of tires and what rating(or colors) would be good to use on oval carpet on my TC4? thanks again Jeff
Old 11-10-2006, 12:44 PM
xeliman

whats about the airtronics xl2p?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:45 AM
zaphod42
My Feedback: (3)

I think the factory setting on the RTR have the front wheels and rear wheels toed in as much as 2 degrees. That could cause your 'wont go straight' trouble on carpet - I'd try the toe in at 0 degrees rear and maybe 1/4 to 1/2 degree front. The fronts can be adjusted with the turnbuckles but the rears have a bolt on piece that will have to be changed.

Here is a [link=http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=27]good link explaining foam tires from the CRC website[/link] that you may find useful. I like their tires but plenty of people here also run GRPs and Jacos.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:19 AM
chaseman81

Lots of good tech. advise at www.teamassociated.com look under support they have setup sheets for carpet, onroad pavement. manuals and all sorts of cool stuff for they're cars and trucks. in the ntc3 rtr manual there is a setup sheet on the last page too. You can download it and see everything in acrobat reader

Good luck
Chaseman81