Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HBX, Who else owns one??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:15 AM
magnat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HBX, Who else owns one??

The Difference between a Bonzer and a Wild Dagger is ... The Bonzer is an Onroad TL-01 with a single engine... Its Smaller then the Wild Dagger and the Twin Detonator..

Bonzers Share Suspension Components with the Wild Dagger but everything else is a TL-01 onroader...
Old 06-15-2008, 09:37 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a awsome shot of the truck jumping the cars[8D]
Old 06-15-2008, 05:51 PM
magnat

HPI X-35 Motor Test...

Initial Thoughts : WOW..

Even on a half discharged 3300mah Battery this motor displays enough Torque to pop the front Suspension off the ground..

It has good Speed too.. Its not slow.. I would say it has around the same Speed as the Stock motor only it manages to fit the same amount of Torque into a 540 can..

I can Tell that this motor may strip the Gearing if Sudden Acceleration or Braking is applied.. it is just very grunty... It has quick acceleration.. alot quicker then the 550 Can motor...

Combined with the Flat Iron Tyres.. it Crawls over most obstacles without much effort and the V3 Shocks I have ordered should assist with keeping the wheels planted on the ground when it starts lifting a wheel...
Old 06-15-2008, 07:08 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hay syncronized77,

i must be doing something wrong i cant seem to find the "silver a arms" anywhere. heaps of blue ones & heaps of the small silver ones.

i did find a link to the shock towers "link removed"
Old 06-15-2008, 08:38 PM
syncronized77

found these...

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Hot-Racing-Tamiya-Wild-Dagger-aluminum-front-arms-set_W0QQitemZ360060211909QQihZ023QQcategoryZ44028Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp163 8Q2em118Q2el1247]silver arms[/link]
Old 06-16-2008, 03:10 AM
magnat

phmaximus...

It Just hit me

YOU HAVE A HQ MONARO SHELL!!!! SWEET...

I have one aswell but re-sprayed mine Black...
Old 06-16-2008, 05:19 AM
magnat

CRAP!!

I just placed my bonzer down from about 10cm and heard a CRACK and the Bloody rear shock mount snaped off..

Well since its gonna take a while to order a New Chassis.. I am thinking of just reinforcing the current shock mount with some glue and Alumimium..
Do you think it wil work ??

Red line indicates the crack and where it happened
Blue line is where I intend on re-inforcing it..
Old 06-16-2008, 07:05 AM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: syncronized77

found these...

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Hot-Racing-Tamiya-Wild-Dagger-aluminum-front-arms-set_W0QQitemZ360060211909QQihZ023QQcategoryZ44028Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp163 8Q2em118Q2el1247]silver arms[/link]
omg thank you, im kissing ur feet now
Old 06-16-2008, 07:11 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: magnat

CRAP!!

I just placed my bonzer down from about 10cm and heard a CRACK and the Bloody rear shock mount snaped off..

Well since its gonna take a while to order a New Chassis.. I am thinking of just reinforcing the current shock mount with some glue and Alumimium..
Do you think it wil work ??

Red line indicates the crack and where it happened
Blue line is where I intend on re-inforcing it..
You have nothing to lose by trying.......
Old 06-16-2008, 07:17 AM
brett_saville

Just a word of warning... those towers don't fit. I got them and the screw holes are in the wrong place. I had a look at WD parts explosion and realised that it is a different chassis. As someone stated earlier, from the swing arms out it is the same but that's it.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:24 AM
redfisher1974

i want to paint my body,I noticed it was painted from the inside.Can i paint it on the outside or will it look crappy? Here is some pics of my body after i opened it up for more air flow i cut out some of the front and rear bumper and the windshield and rear window.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69437.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	971671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63477.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	971672  
Old 06-16-2008, 09:48 AM
syncronized77

Well if you're going to paint the outside, make sure to sand down the body really good, almost to the point of stripping off the paint it came with, after wash it off so that no contaminants or oil from your fingers are left on the outside of the body. Then make sure to use a polycarbonate paint so that it adheres to the plastic shell. Put on atleast 2 or 3 coats.

Painting on the outside of any shell is going to leave it open to scratches though...nothing you can do about that
Old 06-16-2008, 04:42 PM
HSVXU6

Morning redfisher1974 and syncronized77, it is over here anyhow. redfisher1974 Tamiya make a Plastic paint, have a read of the instructions and see if it will work or find a "flexible" paint. The problem with polycarbonate paints is when you spray them on the outside you do not have a glossy finish, the glossy finish comes from looking through the body material, see how you go.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:17 PM
magnat

Well my plan didnt work..

I went to reinforce the Shock mounts but this threw the shocks out of alignment and they wouldn't compress.. so I plastic Welded the Shock mount back on using a Gloria Jeans Coffee spoon... There the only Cheap black plastic I could find...

Looks like its another chassis for me.. dammit.

The cold weather is just making them brittle...
Old 06-16-2008, 06:35 PM
HSVXU6

Hi magnat, you need to move to Ballarat, the temp is over "0" most of the time
Old 06-16-2008, 08:12 PM
KrAyZ

anyone no were i can get shock towers for my bonzer? lookin for sum articulation
Old 06-17-2008, 01:46 AM
magnat

Ok, So it doesn't have the shocks But Here it is !!

Custom Flame Grille

The Decals were left overs I had from the 30 or so shells I have done in the past..

So It has
Mustang headlights, turned sideways
It also has Mustang GTR Tail lights aswell
It has the Windscreen Banner off an RX7
The Side Stripes(orange bits) are of a Denso Supra
and Of Course my Websites Logo on the doors..

I got the Front Grill off a 2004 model F-150 and stretched it to fit..
Old 06-17-2008, 02:58 AM
double00

Hey guys im new here, ive been reading since about page 30 though and i thought i'd share my thoughts Here. I had an original bonzer v1 and i too broke the shock mounts, its beacause the stsndard shocks have no rubber dampners when they bottom out, heres a few pics of my old chassis that i repaired and my new one. the old bonzer chassis is a more brittle plastic therefore snaps easier. I bought my genuine tamiya tl01 b of a guy on ebay, it came with all 24 bearings and the shocks that you see. i paid about $25 AU for it, cheap!!! i saw him selling another one a few days ago. Anyway i just cooked my stock esc so im up for a mamba max and a 5700kv mm or a feigao 9xl, any suggestions??. I know its probably not worth doing but we love our bonzer so im going for it!!

Name:	Pn38092.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	972264  
Old 06-17-2008, 03:02 AM
double00

heres another

Name:	Xv63584.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	972265  
Old 06-17-2008, 04:34 AM
phmaximus

ok i feel really bad about posting the wrong tower, dont know what i was thinking, sorry.

on a off thought i can understand getting these towers for a slow geared truck, but do thay really make a differance on a fast truck?

ive noticed that it can give the suspension greater travel at what cost? if u were to hit a bump with speed that is going to max out the suspension, im thinking it would just flip the car. & what type of track has that type of changing surface levels? (30mm-100mm)
the only thing i can think of is tree roots.

most of the dirt around here only vary's by about 30mm even on building sites (odd hole here & there) i use mine mostly on grass, gravel & dirt/national reserves (in summer is hard dirt) so if u do the same styel of driving as me i would swap the tower for a set of sway bars, because it doesent matter how good ur tyres & shocks+springs are when all the weight is one side with high grip/speed corner.

for example look at a monster truck, thay roll oh so easy, & not really good for high speeds, wouldent race one off road
and this chassis was created for a touring car, then upgraded to a baja style race car with small wheels, then if u scale up the current suspension setup (1/10th) with a 65mm shocker it has 25mmx10=250mm=25cm of movement in each wheel and one wheel can go over a 60mmx10=600= 0.6m bump now i dont real car down any road that varys 0.6m. imagine the bumps? then try it with out a swaybar doing about 170km/h

pro's
grater suspension travel
good for jumps with out a landing ramp
good for slow cralls up steps & large rocks (problary will overheat moter with the bonzer gearing)
good ground clearence

con's
excessive body sag
excessive body roll
bad corner grip + weight ballance
extra wear on suspension + dog bones
body needs to sit higher than normal
should really modify the to short body posts otherwise wheel rubs on body when maxed out & turning
cost
wheels look small

i dont know, just a thought please tell me what u think? (i could be wrong, ive never tryed the towers)
Old 06-17-2008, 04:40 AM
brett_saville

Don't feel too bad about the towers... the only reason I knew was because I was actually dumb enough to buy them
Old 06-17-2008, 04:45 AM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

i want to paint my body,I noticed it was painted from the inside.Can i paint it on the outside or will it look crappy? Here is some pics of my body after i opened it up for more air flow i cut out some of the front and rear bumper and the windshield and rear window.
i wouldent reccomend painting the outside

new bodys unpainted dont cost to much try ur neeres model shop or ebay
Old 06-17-2008, 05:27 AM
magnat

Bodies that Fit The Bonzer :

Any 190mm shell as long as you are willing to butcher the wheel guards.
Wheely King Shells...
Any Shell that fits the AX10 and Wheely king can be re-holed to suite the Bonzer..

double00,
HSVXU6 is the Brushless Bonzer pro.. he can definately recommend a Brushless system to get your Bonzer really moving..
Me, Personally, I am Building my Bonzer for Extreme conditions rather then speed...
so I am looking at Lower wind motors...for more Grunt and less expense..

phmaximus, your pretty much spot on..

Thing is, Some Bonzer owners take their Bonzers to extreme places whilst others are happy to do dirt donuts and power slides..

Me, I like pointing my Bonzer Skyward and telling it to get up there or taking it scale 4x4ing by setting it down on a Bush trail complete with Mud and Water crossings... .. There is how ever something called too much Flex which I think Synchronized77 suffered as he said his Dog bones pop out...

No one can tell you how to mod a Bonzer, only guide you as all of us are experimenting with a Truck that is a Hybrid to begin with..
Old 06-17-2008, 07:08 AM
phmaximus

if u are in to scale 4x4 i will send u some pics of my dad's profesional beast, it uses a electric screwdriver gearbox & motor, it has scale speeds & excessive torque. its designed for a obstical course where u cant stop. also somehow (dont see him much since ive got kids) he has turned a bonzer into a drift truck (u would never know that is was one in a distant past)
truck as in lorry

here is his bosses site most made by my old man these none of the pics are real trucks all models
[link]http://www.brownystruckphotos.com/my_models.htm[/link]
Old 06-17-2008, 12:20 PM
redfisher1974

my teu 302bk just got here one question do i have to set it up or will it have default settings? i know it has three driving levels i wonder if it defaults to the fast setting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.