Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HBX, Who else owns one??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:48 PM
pede_187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HBX, Who else owns one??

Some web sites on it and general info on it. I searched for it on eBay and couldn't find anything
Old 12-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Phelansa

@Pede_kid

There is incredibly little info on these cars on the web. This thread is about the only collection of info that is worth anything that I have ever found.

@nikg

Dont forget. Today's synthetics are quite good. To make a rubber compound that is temperature conductive is pretty much childs play.

@pilsner6981

No stepped on toes [8D] , And like you say... it makes very little sense to go spend a lot of monay on an $50 truck. The pleasure of doing it to a Bonzer is that every cent is an improvement. Mine is about 100% Tamiya by now. And like Magnat said, it has still cost me less than a better brand name truck would have.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:34 AM
pilsner6981

Yah no worries then
I put in some gpm aluminum oil filled shocks and ripped out all the bushings and replaced them with cheap but better metal shielded bearings in my V1. I've also bought a new receiver to accomodate a new esc for of course more speed and power with a new motor. (still on the fence on whether or not this is going to happen) Oh i also think it was me who suggested you buy HPI wheels for your Bonzer Magnat quite a few posts back lol. Anyway like you said you hop em up cuz you can. brushless is still pushin it i think... although ch mayday's vids look pretty sweet...

@Pede_kid
Bonzers seem more popular in europe (and maybe Australia hence the name "Bonzer") Here are a few links for info but like Phelansa said this thread is your best bet...
www.********.co.uk, www.hetheleverhaal.nl bad translations near bottom of the page but has a few more euro links, youtube has tons of vids just type in bonzer rc in the search field, also ebay is the absolute best place to get tl01b bonzer parts. Have fun
Old 12-10-2007, 04:29 AM
V.R.M

Hi....I have been followin this thread and found some really useful info.How to clean it??i tried using compressed air..its a no go.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:55 AM
magnat

A Damp Cloth is the Best approach when cleaning... the Alternative is to pull the suspension arms off and Scrub the arms and Dog bones in mild detergent and water followed by a Cold water rinse and towel dry.... Just dont get the stock Electrics wet or Water in the gearing..

As for the Turn limit on a V1 CPR (Central Processor Reciever) I think 19T is a "safe limit" for on Road cars but I would think on a Bonzer 23T would be OK..
If You do own a V1, Really the Best thing to do is get a 2-channel reciever and an aftermarket ESC as the CPR is prone to glitching so changing to an Aftermarket 2 Channel Reciever would really open up your Bonzers Speed Potential..
Old 12-10-2007, 06:05 AM
V.R.M

thanks for the help magnat.I am also looking for the drive shafts cause i lost mine.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:11 AM
magnat

The Dog Bones??

You could change to 70 mm Universals??

I am trying to hunt down the Part Numbers for you but I have lost my Bonzer manual !

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...uct-id=9805551

If I am Correct part number Tamiya 9805551 should be the replacement Dogbone number...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go
Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 AM
ckohl

Hello again everyone. I was looking at some pictures of the V1 and V2 Bonzers, and I realized that the V3 (the version I have) has longer shocks than its older brothers. Not realizing that, I ordered 70mm oil shocks. I'm betting that the 70mm shocks that everyone was mentioning will only fit the V1 and V2 Bonzers. The V3 version adds aluminum shock towers, which extend the shock length. Anyone know what size shocks will fit the V3 version? Thanks!

For reference, here is what my shock and shock towers look like:

Old 12-10-2007, 11:02 AM
V.R.M

sorry i didnt use the right term......but what i meant is the thing to which the dogbones connect into
Old 12-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Phelansa

ORIGINAL: ckohl
The V3 version adds aluminum shock towers, which extend the shock length. Anyone know what size shocks will fit the V3 version?
To be perfectly honest, the V3's I have seen, did not have that Alloy shock tower extension. I have seen the pics on the net, but never in real life. So all I can guess at is that there must now be a V4? OR somebody has started making some Alu upgrade parts. If you look closely at an older version and then at your picture you will notice that that Alu Shock Tower simply mounts to where the old shocks use to screw onto the old plastic shock towers.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:27 PM
squeeguk

I agree, my son has a V3 and there are no ali shock towers. The only difference that I could see in the shocks is that the V3 is oil damped, while the V2 is not.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:11 PM
magnat

Can we get a Shot of Your Whole Chassis, I have never seen the Alloy Shock towers before?
Since I own a V2 its hard to say what the V3 and the V4 have..

V.R.M Do you mean the Drive Cups?? they plug into the Diff??

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGD88&P=PU

Or the Axles which connect to the wheel?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGM41&P=X
Old 12-10-2007, 06:14 PM
ckohl

If you look at this link, you can see the Bonzer version that I have:

[link]http://www.hammondtoy.com/shop/agora.cgi?page=bonzer.html[/link]

I bought my son a version 1 for Christmas, so I guess I'll just put the 70mm shocks on his truck instead. Anyone know how to properly measure shocks, so that I can find the correct size shocks for mine? The shocks in mine are supposedly oil-filled, but they need to be replaced anyways. (cheap plastic)
Old 12-11-2007, 03:35 AM
V.R.M

The drive cups...thanks mate.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:19 AM
KrAyZ

what type of brushles motor should i pout in my bonzer if i dont want to strip my gears...idk if thats possible to avoid but is there any kind of brushless motor that i can buy that wont add much speed but alot of torque?do brushless motors have more torque than brushed?idk much about brushless plz help ;/
Old 12-11-2007, 04:55 PM
magnat

A Feigao 540 7L (3511kv) with a Mamba Max ESC seems to work OK..

Scroll back to page 46- 47 and have a look at mayday's layout..
Old 12-12-2007, 12:58 AM
Phelansa

Wasn't that an 12XL? That is what I seem to recall mayday got. I might be wrong though!

I am investigating a new system I found. 90 or 120 ESC's for both brush less or brushed. With some pretty nice specs on BL motors aswell. But yeah, waiting for answers now, will let you all know.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:45 AM
ckohl

Well, I did some reading on the internet, and I think I've answered my own question. On the Bonzer version that I have, I can fit (4) 100mm shocks. I think that size is pretty standard for monster trucks. I'll hit up the lhs for some good aluminum shocks to replace the cheap plastic ones. I think the E-maxx shocks are 100mm also.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:24 AM
KrAyZ

Well, I did some reading on the internet, and I think I've answered my own question. On the Bonzer version that I have, I can fit (4) 100mm shocks. I think that size is pretty standard for monster trucks. I'll hit up the lhs for some good aluminum shocks to replace the cheap plastic ones. I think the E-maxx shocks are 100mm also.
how did u conclude this? as far as i no it onlky fits 90mm...did u add or mod the shock tower at all?
Old 12-12-2007, 10:31 AM
KrAyZ

ORIGINAL: magnat

A Feigao 540 7L (3511kv) with a Mamba Max ESC seems to work OK..

Scroll back to page 46- 47 and have a look at mayday's layout..
were do i get an extra pinion for this motor? and how much wil this setup cost?
Old 12-12-2007, 04:01 PM
ckohl

how did u conclude this? as far as i no it onlky fits 90mm...did u add or mod the shock tower at all?
No, I didn't mod the shock tower. I simply measured the original shock, and it was a length of 95mm. I didn't find any 95mm shocks for sale, so I rounded up to 100mm.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Phelansa

ORIGINAL: KrAyZ

were do i get an extra pinion for this motor? and how much wil this setup cost?
The shaft size for that motor is 5mm. The standard pinion size for 48 pitch is 3.2mm. That means you will have to drill/machine the pinion to accept that 5mm shaft. Other than that any 19T, 21T or 23T - 48 pitch pinion will do. You can buy them at any hobby shop. Or you can look at www.rcmart.com. Look for the Kawada pinions.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Phelansa

As to cost... That motor goes for $39 at www.hobbycity.com. The MM ESC is on sale for $120 at www.b-p-p.com

That means you are looking at about $160 ex the shipping for the motor. Might be worth while going for an MM4600 combo ($184 with free shipping), the VXL or the Exeleron for about $170 at tower with a coupon.

None of the other systems will have the massive torque of that 12XL Feigao though. I swear that thing would be strong enough to pull me off the Olssen Twins.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:51 PM
BEARBYSR

That's a good one Phelansa"the olson twins" Hey, just wanted to comment about the posts earlier on the "toughness" of the Bonzer. I have sold my Bonzer and parts because I race nitro now, but I have to say the Bonzer was one of the toughest trucks I ever had. I still run electric evaders and 1/18 scale Leopords and they don't hold up to any abuse like the Bonzer did. I give alot of credit to the guys on here beefin these trucks up, they are worth it. Yeah, it's not a popular brand and is not sponsered for racin, but I don't think you will find a tougher truck for bashin(for beginner or expert). And now with the brushless Bonzer setups, all I can say is "wow". These brushless Bonzers you guys got on here will smoke most of what I have seen at the tracks. Keep it up, this is what makes this hobby so intresting
Old 12-12-2007, 08:19 PM
KrAyZ

Hello again everyone. I was looking at some pictures of the V1 and V2 Bonzers, and I realized that the V3 (the version I have) has longer shocks than its older brothers. Not realizing that, I ordered 70mm oil shocks. I'm betting that the 70mm shocks that everyone was mentioning will only fit the V1 and V2 Bonzers. The V3 version adds aluminum shock towers, which extend the shock length. Anyone know what size shocks will fit the V3 version? Thanks!

For reference, here is what my shock and shock towers look like:

were on earth did u get the alu shock towers?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.