Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HBX, Who else owns one??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:49 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: HBX, Who else owns one??

lol keep us updated, but u can really convert a HBX into a TL01, because it is one allready lol
I would reccomend the HBX chassis over the tamiya one (dont get the light weight TL01 chassis, its only recomended for the touring cars) The HBX chassis seems to keep more dirt & crap out of the chassis. when u get the gear set dont get the tuned gear set unless u are running 1/10 touring car wheels, with the big wheels it makes the gearing even worse.,

I found the alloy gears to ware faster than the plastic one & were very noisy
Old 02-23-2010, 06:00 PM
lam1na

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, i decided not to sell up all my bonzer stuff..

I went to bring it out yestaday, and remember it's in parts lol, and i sold my charger, lipo batts and ezrun already
So i tried testing the stock motor and teu-bk101 esc with nimh batt i had to charge with a slow charger [:@], but the esc had packed up for some reason []

So I'm going to be ordering the lipo batt's and charger soon and when i've got a bit of spare money I'll order a 60A 13.5t system.

anyway, that's enough of my life story lol, i'll keep you guys updated
Old 02-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Knoxes

I just found this thread!

I promised my nephew that I would try to fix his r/c truck - had no idea what I was getting in to. The Tx was a piece, so I just bought one of these...

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10608

I hope that will work.

My only other problem is finding batteries and a charger for this truck. I'm familiar with aircraft lipos and their charging systems, but I don't know anything about these. Can you guys please provide some guidance? I need something really pretty cheap and simple. He's only 5 and it'll probably get trashed.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:15 PM
prontozuk

These work just like any other AM or FM radio set. However with the HBXs depending on the version came out with the combined RX and ESC. So you may also need a ESC as well.

Depending on how much you want a spend you could get a ESC from as low as $30.

Thanks James
Old 02-26-2010, 02:52 AM
phmaximus

geez a 5yo hummmmm... Ive got a 5yo & a 2yo & there is no way i would let them neer the bonzer, From my experance ive found no 5yo (no matter how good thay are) can be mature enuff to look after one, Thay just dont uderstand the physics of driving & when u crash it, it will problary brake. I have got the kids a few cheep r/c cars that are kid proof (no exposed Shafts, axles, Hot motors, Sharp body clips, Fingre traps) & thay still have managed to brake them, the first is the areil allways.
i wouldent bother with it & get the kid a tommy mini r/c car, but no kidding nothing is unbrakeable, or maby just stick to Tonka trucks

I know it sucks i really wanted my kids to get into r/c but it just to fustrating to watch & it hurts the wallet.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:48 PM
phmaximus

hey just thought, I have let the kids have a go but i limited te speed, simple to do, just sticky tape something under the throttle to stop it going down as much. Ive used crayons. & unused ciggrett filters it works a treat
Old 02-27-2010, 02:03 AM
squirt22

or you could just turn down the amount of accelertaion on the controller...
Old 02-28-2010, 04:59 PM
prontozuk

i took my RCs on a club camping weekend and shared my RCs with other club members kids average age was 5/6 and just turned the end point down to 30%. It might have been slow for what i am use to, the kids loved it.

Thanks James
Old 03-07-2010, 05:48 AM
phmaximus

bugga, on my controller i cant change the end point it only has trim.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:51 AM
magnat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB4pVespjKw
Bonzer has Bumper cam...

Pity I forgot I removed the water proofing.... Whoops..
Old 03-15-2010, 05:35 AM
itchy_feet

Hey everyone! I am new to all this r/c-ing stuff but really want to get involved. I want to buy an HBX, but im not exactly decided which model to get.... So i thought id post up here and get everyones opinion first since you guys are the experts  

Im tossing up between the Stealth X09, the Surge, or the Bonzer.... I don't really know the difference, but i like the look of each of them! I would prefer it to have a brushed motor, because I want to do all the upgrades and modifications myself so it can be a really customised, unique car (if thats at all possible).

So yeah, any help will be greatly appreciated!! Ta!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:43 AM
phmaximus

hey bud, The Stealth and the Surge are the same, only diffrence is the surge is brushless.
The X09 look like a very compeative chassis, light weight & very adjustable. only thing i noticed is the suspension arms looks like thay might brake in a hard crash, I would recomend finding out about price and avalibilty of spare parts.

& maby have a look & see if the Surge has a stronger drivetrain than the Stealth, if thay are the same u could get the cheaper Stealth & upgrade to brushless after for the custom look.

the Bonzer would never compare to the X09 with handling & brushless reliability, but parts are very cheap & its lack of handling can be fun. oh and its cheep to.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:49 PM
itchy_feet

ok, cool. thanks for that phmaximus, I think I will go with the Stealth then... (once i get the money lol) I had a look, and found that I can get all the parts I should be needing from the sameplace I would buy it from, so that shouldnt be much problem.

My boyfriend bought a HBX Rocket not that long ago, andbroke it on the first day (an unfortunate accident with the clothes line ) but because of that, he had to take it all apart andwork out how to dodgy something up so he could keeprunning it while the hobby shop got the order in. I was fascinated by all the little intricate details thatyou have to worry about!

So once I get this I might be able to keep up with him, instead of sitting on the sidelines watching and wishing !
Old 03-18-2010, 12:50 PM
lam1na

Got my ezrun combo and lipo's all soldered up today, I'll get some pics up tomorrow or something as i gotta go out soon.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:03 AM
magnat

I need more Torque Dammit !

Can anyone suggest how I can give this Bonzer more Torque.. I am already using a 35T motor and a 50T more Burns out !

I need more TORQUE!!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 06:13 AM
squirt22

a brushless crawler combo... ezrun 32t crawler combo should be good for it. or a novak rooster system with a 45 turn motor.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:01 PM
phmaximus

hay anythings better than sitting & watching

magnat, im supprised with all the crawling u do u havent looked into a planetary gear set, I would recomend getting a electric screwdriver & use the motor & gear set from that.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:25 AM
phmaximus

well ive put the bonzer aside again... im not turning a old chassis (df01) into a ta01 m10525 hummer, wow its been painstaking finding out what parts i needed but it 1/2 way there.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Knoxes

Quick update and another question. The TX that I mentioned earlier works fine. However, I started getting some chugging from the motor. Eventually it stopped working entirely, although it was making plenty of racket. The ESC was kind of screeching, so I think that's where the problem is. Ideas? If I have to replace it, any suggestions?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:48 PM
phmaximus

thats not good, Ive been looking at the traxxas, HPI & tamiya ones for around $50
But i would really recomend going brushless it problary wont cost that mch more, there are esc & motors for under $100
Old 04-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Knoxes

Ok, I replaced the esc with a Duratrax

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGZX1&P=ML

And it appears that the motor was the problem all along. What are my options to replace the stock motor?
Old 04-04-2010, 03:39 PM
magnat

Hey Knoxes...

Can you give me a little back ground on the truck you have ???
If it is a Bonzer then your gonna be in for a hard time..

We have all tried going alternative brushed motors with limited sucess.

I am currently using a HPI X-35 35T motor and so far no sign of it smoking the armature.. (Then again I use my Bonzer for trail riding so it hardly gets held on full throttle for anymore then 10 secs)

Bonzers have a bad habbit for smoking motors due to the LARGE tyres used on the on-road running gear..

Some people have had sucess with the Graupner 600 motors, others have had sucess with a Pro-Stock 27T but all seem to have limited life.
Some have used the Tamiya TZ motors and others have had them smoke inside 10 minutes...

Probably the safest suggestion is to hunt down an Original Bonzer 550 fan cooled motor..

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________

Seperate Question...

If I drop down to a 16T pinion :Would that help me get the Torque I need???

Old 04-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Knoxes

yeah, it's a Bonzer. Second generation, I think - it had a separate Rx and ESC. I've replaced both of those.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:37 AM
phmaximus

ok we need to test the esc do u have a spare motor????

YES
plug it in but dont fit it (this way u can use any motor) Test its opperation

NO
oh.... spare esc???

Do u have a multimeter?????

YES
unplug motor & connect & check to see it the volts go up with the throttle

NO
ummmmm.... bugga
Old 04-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Knoxes

eh - It's a brand new esc from Duratrax. I'm pretty sure that it's working. So I bought a new motor today. Got home and found out that the pinion gear won't come off the old motor. Now what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.