Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Jao's WidePede Conversion Story

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 01:31 AM
jaofos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jao's WidePede Conversion Story

Jao's XL5Pede -> WidePede Conversion Story

Parts Used:

(1) #3655 - Stampede Rear Arms
(1) #3739 - Traxxas replacement chassis pins
(1) #2338 - 96mm T-max Front Tie Rods (I got the titanium 2338x set)
(1) #2669 - Traxxas Piston Head Set (not really needed, the parts I used came with my XL-5)
(1) Jato Camber Links set
(1) Traxxas 2.8 Front Wheels (non-hex hub, by mistake)

So I began with the parts list from www.stampedeproject.com to do the "UltraPede" wide-pede conversion. I hit the local hobby shops with my shopping list and was able to find the majority of the parts I needed. There were a few items that I couldn't find that I ended up not using anyways.

Before I started to fuddle with rebuilding the front suspension, I put myself on the task of stripping the tires off the old rear wheels and applying them to the new front wheels I just purchased. I tossed them in the dryer for about 3-4 minutes and they came out nice and toasty, with some determination and careful application of an exacto knife, I was able to remove the tires from their previous home. I pulled the tires over the new wheel sets and glued them in place and set them aside to cure while I started on the suspension.

I stripped the right side off first. Took a 1/8" drill bit, ran it through the caster blocks to make room for the rear chassis pin and through the piston heads I used as spacers. I also ran the bit through the new rear arms where they mount to allow a bit more freedom when moving on the chassis pin.

Next, I mounted the arms, shock holes pointing towards the front using the chassis pin and the two piston heads as spacers. (see pic)

[link=http://www.jaofos.com/images/widepede/origs/IMG_0871.jpg][/link]

Then I mounted the Jato Camber Links by removing the ball shim thingies and just using the screws and washer the old cambers were mounted with. Yes, bolted to the shock tower alone there seemed to be a lot of play, but once I screwed in the other ends of the camber links to the caster blocks, there was very very little play in the links.

Then I took the ends from the old tie rods and stuck them on 96mm tie rods and bolted it in to the servo using the stock screw and nut.

Finally, I mounted the caster block with RPM bearing carriers using the rear chassis pin from #3739 instead of the stock screw, hooked up the camber links and steering tie rods and that was it.

I ended up mounting the shocks in the mounting hole closest to the chassis to get some more ride height as my first test runs I kept bottoming out on even the smallest jumps.

Odd Wheel Mounting

So I failed to notice when I was purchasing the front wheels that they didn't have the hex mounting like the original front wheels. Why the hell does Traxxas make 2.8" front wheels that look *identical* to the stampede wheels but are just a round hole? Anyways, I had already glued my tires so I was stuck with the wheels and was determined to make them work. Luckily I had two 5x11 bearings left from when I purchased bearings for the bearing carriers, and they fit perfectly inside the round mounting hole on the new wheels. So, I the hex adapter back on for spacing then mounted the wheel, tightened the nut and, amazingly it seems to work. There isn't any play in the wheel and it doesn't wobble when I spin it, and it spins very very freely.

Here's the rest of the pics I snapped:

[link=http://www.jaofos.com/images/widepede/origs/IMG_0872.jpg][/link]
[link=http://www.jaofos.com/images/widepede/origs/IMG_0873.jpg][/link]
[link=http://www.jaofos.com/images/widepede/origs/IMG_0874.jpg][/link]
[link=http://www.jaofos.com/images/widepede/origs/IMG_0875.jpg][/link]
[link=http://www.jaofos.com/images/widepede/origs/IMG_0876.jpg][/link]
[link=http://www.jaofos.com/images/widepede/origs/IMG_0877.jpg][/link]
[link=http://www.jaofos.com/images/widepede/origs/IMG_0878.jpg][/link]
Old 11-11-2006, 04:35 AM
rc monkey

Default RE: Jao's WidePede Conversion Story

Cool
Old 11-11-2006, 05:27 AM
MacDuff
My Feedback: (2)

I don't have a drill. Is there any other way to cut it?
Old 11-11-2006, 11:30 AM
sleepy23
My Feedback: (1)

hey if those fronts are still in like new condition, i will trade you for a set of pede rims (w/ hexes) with the 2.8 talons on them..off my xl5 pede.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:47 AM
jaofos

The rims are still brand new, haven't even ran a full pack on them.

I managed to run about half a pack a few minutes ago before one of the rear wheels fell off and I lost the hex hub and nut. Guess I didn't double check how tight the rear wheels were on.

I'm really thinkin about keeping the new fronts I got, eventually I'm going to buy some new wheels and get some stock Jato tires to put on them. I think they'd look sweet on a pede.

What do the non-hex hubs fronts fit on and why would you want them?
Old 11-11-2006, 12:32 PM
sleepy23

i converted my entire suspension to jato suspension. i dont run hexes on my fronts cuz i am running jato rims and spindles.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:21 PM
jaofos

Got tired of hearing the slap of my chassis hitting bottom every time I jumped, so I stopped by the LHS and picked up some 50wt silicon shock oil and rebuilt the fronts. Also re-mounted them on the inside of the front arms using a long hex head screw and a nut to hold it in place. Yes, I know it's messy looking, but I don't have a dremel, so I drilled and exacto'd my little heart out

Thanks to sleepy, I now have the stock XL-5 front's and talons all around, it's great! I'm really wanting to find of the thicker grey hex's so I can put them all around and widen it that tiny little bit more. Also would help with the tiny bit of play that's there on each wheel now.

Pics, of course:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10731.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	561089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37104.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	561090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40692.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	561091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81380.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	561092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd43359.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	561093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo88632.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	561094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb59797.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	561095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qp53061.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	561096  

Old 11-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Anomie

Looks like you did a great job there! How much wider is it from stock?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:29 PM
sleepy23

glad the rims worked out for you, the rims from you worked great on my truck. the hexes you can get from tower or ebay. what i really like is locking hexes..i dont know if traxxas makes them or not, but i made a set for my rear wheels and they are pretty sweet.