Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

offical rc10 Aluminum tub chassis thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 01:11 AM
thaphillips

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: offical rc10 Aluminum tub chassis thread

I found the part numbers for which I need to order, but where can I order them? I looked at rc10.com but they do not sell all the parts I need.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:33 AM
thaphillips

I found part #6560 which is described as 2.25:1 transmission kit, with bearings and associated torque control. Will this give me all the parts I need to rebuild the transmission put ball bearing for the transmission?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:41 PM
discgolfer72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: spoook

Hey guys I got a RC 10 off ebay and it has gear box problems. I hear that it is possible to put in the new stealth transmission. Does someone have a FAQ/WALK THROUGH for this?

I could just take apart the gear box and build a completley new gear box, but I assume the 6 gear isn't as efficent, and would probably cost more to rebuild.

Any suggestions?

My other question is about putting longer A-arms on the front. I hear this would improve the stability of the vehicle. Should I also put longer A-arms on the back? Is that possible?

My goal is to make this a brushless vehicle that is race worthy.

Please point me in the right direction.
sorry i have been kinda bussy latley

post some pics of ur rc10 and i can let u know what u can or should do to make it brushless and convert the arms

as for the part # u listed i will have to check around but i think that rebuild kit is for either the b2 or a tc

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Finally, a pic of my RC10 nekkid, with the black powder-coated chassis:
verry nice i like how u cut down the tub but not all the way how did u do that and make it so even
Old 12-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: discgolfer72

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Finally, a pic of my RC10 nekkid, with the black powder-coated chassis:
verry nice i like how u cut down the tub but not all the way how did u do that and make it so even
Heh, I have no idea. It came what way from the eBay dude. Kinda funky, eh?
Old 12-18-2006, 04:23 PM
discgolfer72

looks good that way i like that better than the ones where i cut the tub all the way off

it would keep me from haveing to use braceses on the chassis i cant really tell from ur pics but it looks really evenly cut is it ?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Eman77

Yeah, it is very evenly cut. Either it was professionally done, or this isn't really an RC10 chassis, but one that is so darned close you can't tell. I'm starting to wonder....

But all the screw holes are in the right place, it's the right perfect shape, so it's gotta be the original. Just trimmed somehow.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:53 AM
swarren7

Okay I have several questions for you experts out there. First off I have the original RC10 with the 6 speed tranmission. I replaced all bushing with bearing and installed wide front A-arms. I've also updated the sterring with the MIP ball bearing steering. I've also upgraded so I can use modern wheels and tires. I have several questions about setup.

1. I'm running a 19T motor with B4 rims and dirt/street tires on the car. When driving on the street, if I turn going to fast my car will barrel roll. Is there some type of setup I can do to help minimize the roll over affect?

2. Should I install the battery pack long ways with the car like Eman77's car on the 1st page or running accross the frame. What is the benefit of either way?

3. As I mentioned earlier, I'm using B4 rims. Compared to the original RC10 rims and tires, the ones I'm using now are considerbly larger. Also the rear B4 rims hit certain parts of the suspension and also the rear shocks. I had to move the rear shock from the 2 hole on the rear A-arm from the rim to the 3rd hole. Now the shock is much more upright. How does this affect the handeling?

4. What are the best rims and tires to use on the original RC10? This is not for racing just bashing around and mainly on concrete/hard packed dirt?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Eman77

Hmm, I'll take a shot:

1) That is odd, esp. with wider front arms. Are your rears wider too? Are you using tires with high sidewalls (i.e., "tall" tires)? Using a softer shock setup (less spring tension) and lowering it via different body/arm mounts for the shocks will help a lot. But it sounds like your wheels/tires rub when the socks are out on the furthest setting in rear, so that limits you.

2) Having the battery my way shifts weight more to the center of the car, rather than the rear (if you mount it across the frame). I'm guessing my way would help with handling in general (less fishtailing, keeping that rear in line) - but I don't really know how pronounced the difference would be. If it were me, I'd be lazy and just keep it how it is. Mine came this way, so I stuck with it. But then, I just bash with it.

3) Bummer about the rims rubbing. The shock being more upright will affect cornering, as mentioned earlier. One hole change won't kill you, though. But if you're doing barrel rolls, ouch.

4) Best? No clue. I can't even tell you what size axles I'm using, but they fit my old Tamiya (Falcon?) rims I had around, so I use them. I also found some NIP on eBay, and got those. I use an adapter to convert the pin-axle of the RC10 to the 4-hole design on the rims in back. Adapters are plastic, so who knows if they'd just crack if I ran brushless. I run with some tires I found on eBay for the street (can't even recall the brand, would have to look at home), they seem to do just fine. I have old TQ70s and TQ20s I think for dirt - again, leftover from the 80s that I had.

Those setups do fine for me, but I'm far from a wheel/tire expert for this car. I only run a 27T motor (will run my 19T sooner or later), so it's not like I'm throwing down major power. Sorry, that doesn't help you a ton, but perhaps just a little.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Eman77

Oh, and if you haven't seen it, this post is excellent at describing how suspension setup affects your handling:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4907328/tm.htm

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71134.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	580141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50793.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	580142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17794.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	580143  
Old 12-19-2006, 05:18 PM
JoeR
My Feedback: (2)

Eman77- nice looking buggy. Do you have a larger picture of the buggy in your avitar? I like the paint scheme.

I recently bought an old RC10 (circa 1990) from a guy at work. It appears to have the 6 gear transmission. But its missing some parts in the back. Specifically it is missing the aluminum motor mount part no. 6604 or 6607, any gears etc that come off the transmission and a dust cover for the gear. Is there anywhere to get these parts still?

I need to take a closer look at it to see what else is missing/damaged.

I am hoping to get it running cheaply.

Thanks in advance! Joe
Old 12-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Eman77

Oh, and swarren7 - the onroad tires in my pics are Imex Road Dawgs. (Not to be confused with the Road Hawgs). Just checked 'em last night.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Eman77

JoeR - I sure do, picture is attached. The paint job is a little rough up close, but it looks well enough other than that.

Regarding your RC10 - towerhobbies.com has loads (or used to) of older RC10 cars. I'd say start with the Associated page here: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0002p?&M=ASC

Then maybe peruse the tranny parts area: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&C=CLA&V=ASC

Problem is, you need part numbers. You can search on Tower by manufacturer part # (like 6604) and can get the part if they have it. Unfortunately, nothing came up for me when I searched on 6604 or 6607.

Come to think of it, a good way to begin is to download a PDF of the manual for the car you have (if you don't have one already). Start here:
http://www.teamassociated.com/shusti...ub_offroad.htm

and find the correct PDF for your buggy. There were a ton of flavors of RC10, so just keep looking till you find the right one - the 6 gear tranny was only on the earlier models (pre-stealth tranny), so you shouldn't have to look through too many manuals. The manual should show you the parts you need for the tranny, including the part #s. You can order them online from Associated's site too. Last time I ordered, their online interface is pretty clunky (no "shopping cart"), but you can get it done.

Give that a whirl - good luck!

Name:	Pn37595.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	580648  
Old 12-20-2006, 12:15 PM
JoeR

Thanks Eman77,

I do like the paint scheme.

I have downloaded the PDF manual for the car I have and have compiled a list of everything I need. Unfortunately the majority of the parts are not listed on the Associated site nor at Tower Hobbies or Horizon leading me to believe they are no longer available.

The specific model I have is the RC10 Championship Edition (1990). It has the 6 gear transmission. From what I understand I can use the later Stealth transmission by drilling a couple new holes.

Are there any aftermarket transmissions available? I saw a car go on ebay that described the transmission as a RPM 1.96 with MIP CVDs. Every heard of this or know if it is available?

The problem is that someone canabalized the parts off this car as most that are missing are not those that require replacement normally.

The parts that I need for the 6 gear transmission are as follows:
6610 idler gear pivot washer and e-clip
6606 bearing adaptor and bearing
6617 diff. tube and bearing
6621 diff. pinion gear
6623 white teflon bushing
6627 thick washer for diff.
6625 diff. drive ring(big washer)
6626 diff. balls (8 )
6653 plastic spur gear
6624 diff other hub
6628 diff. spring and nut
6604 or 6607 motor mount
6633 felt seals and plastic retainers (2sets)
6325 transmission brace
6372 spring and nylon washer (for dog bone)
6608 dust cover
Old 12-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Eman77

Oh man, if Associated (nor Tower) carries the parts, I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe look for a tranny on eBay (could be rough getting just a tranny though)? Local Hobby Store?

discgolfer (the guy who started this thread) has loads of knowledge on the RC10 and parts. Hopefully he'll see your questions after he gets off work and can help you some.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:11 PM
discgolfer72

needing that many parts for ur tranny ur best bet is to find a whole car on ebay thats a beater and get it just for the trans or look for a parts lot
if ur lucky u can get a roller or a beat up rtr rc10 for under 50$ most of mine i have gotten for under 40

i have a motor mount for u and piviot but its going to be hard to find any new parts for the 6 gear all i can find are the idler gears and outdrives (my lhs still has in stock )

im aslo getting ready to list a a custom rc10 i have built on ebay but ill give anyone here first dibs just pm, me
Old 12-20-2006, 05:45 PM
JoeR

discgolfer72, I sent you a PM. Thanks, Joe
Old 12-21-2006, 07:32 PM
s7jstep1

found this in the garage

Name:	Ro42057.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	581464  
Old 12-22-2006, 04:32 PM
discgolfer72

nice looks like u have ur work cut out for ya time to dissamble and clean that dirty thing up
Old 12-22-2006, 04:49 PM
s7jstep1

yeah, it was my brothers and he died back in 1994. i want to restore it but it will cost me some $$$. it needs a new tx, rx, esc, shocks need to be rebuilt, new motor, body, probably more. since the pic i gutted it and took apart the transmission. i re-lubed the diff and put it back together. i want to finish restoring it so i can race it on my track.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:11 AM
s7jstep1

i am thinking of taking the electronics out of my t4, putting them in the rc10, and buying a brushless system for my t4. what do you think?
Old 12-23-2006, 05:18 PM
discgolfer72

go brushless in the rc10
Old 12-23-2006, 05:29 PM
s7jstep1

lol
Old 02-12-2007, 04:36 PM
CrimsonJ

ORIGINAL: discgolfer72

feel free to ask any ? u have on parts where to find manuals diffrent conversions that can be don or just wanna bs about the almighty rc10 tub

discgolfer72
Hey guys, I dug this RC10ce up from my dad's garage. I put it together in '92, tried to use it a couple times and had problems with it and it made it's way into a crate until this last weekend. I seem to remember that the speed control was giving me problems. When I did get it to work, I couldn't get the buggy to steer very well. I could get the servo to turn the wheels when it was standing still but the steering was all off the couple times I got it to run.

With that said, I want to finally get this thing going. I think I need these parts for it to run:

1. Electronic Speed Control: This looks like the biggest change since I built this thing. Can I use any Electronic Speed Control out there? It has the original motor; Would it conflict with "new" ESC's?

2. Radio and receiver: Looks like these haven't changed. The radio controller wasn't with the rest of this stuff so I'll need a new one.

3. Battery and charger

4. New steering servo?: I suppose I should just try the one that is on there to make sure it doesn't work. Looks like there are "heavy duty" servos that you can get for around $25. If I have to upgrade, is that what I'm looking for or will I need even better?

Here are some pics; Any info you guys would have would be greatly appreciated. (Sorry for the newbie questions)

Name:	Hf99556.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	619798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92541.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	619799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86644.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	369.0 KB
ID:	619800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46553.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	619801   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98269.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	619802  
Old 02-12-2007, 05:44 PM
discgolfer72

unless u want to race at a high level of comp then as long as all the elect work id just stick with what u have i actuall like the restior msc better than my 180$ esc the only down side is less runtime but i actuall get better top end speed with the msc

oh by the way verry nice rc10
Old 02-12-2007, 05:57 PM
tbfoto

CrimsonJ....you just made alot of guys very jealous. It would be very cool to have a "brand new" rc10. Have fun with it!

tbfoto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.