Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Mini LST or Mini Quake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 12:59 PM
jaofos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini LST or Mini Quake?

I'm looking at the possibility of a Mini MT and both the Mini LST and Mini Quake look quite nice.

The LST has dual motors, correct? I also think of Losi as a better quality brand than Duratrax.

What are your experiences with each of these Mini MT's?
Old 12-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Access

Default RE: Mini LST or Mini Quake?

I have both, either one is a decent truck, but I prefer the Mini LST with triple MIP ball diffs and a motor upgrade.
Try asking in the mini forums, you'll get a more detailed analysis there.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:47 PM
-Inverted-

I thought the SE was higher quality then the stock mini-lst. I have had them both. The mini lst has alot of torque and is larger though, which is why I like it, but the mini quake is easier to wrench on. Both are great.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:22 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

I'm also wondering how good the mini quake is. How good would it handle a mamba system? I plan to upgrade to aluminum cvd's and stiffer springs. Is it durable because from my previous dtx experience they aren't that great in durability.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:26 PM
jfonto

i ahve no experience with mini quakes, but my mini lst is by far my favorite car. i have a mamba and lipos in mine and it is extremely fast
Old 12-04-2006, 05:42 PM
jaofos

The general consensus over at the Mini section of the forums is that the Quake > MLST. Apparently the MLST is plagued with issues out of the box and has several specialized components (like the servo) that you can't just swap with a standard part if it breaks.

Also the Quake takes a 380 size motor vs. a 370 for the MLST I think?

The more I read the more I lean towards a Quake.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:43 PM
leapoffait
Banned

i would go with the mini lst
Old 12-04-2006, 05:51 PM
dirtslide1234

i have both the mini q and the mini lst and your right the losi is the better product but the quake is perfectly balanced and tolaly bashable right out of the box[>:] just buy both so your buddy can race ya
Old 12-04-2006, 05:54 PM
-Inverted-

I'm also wondering how good the mini quake is. How good would it handle a mamba system? I plan to upgrade to aluminum cvd's and stiffer springs. Is it durable because from my previous dtx experience they aren't that great in durability.
Terrible. The mamba is a very poor choice for the mini quake. Ive explained this response in great detail in the mini forum, just look around and you can find the reason to avoid the mamba in the mini quake.

The BEST brushless system for a MQ is a

Air Power 4700
then your ESC choice = Mamba/Tekin/Quark

If you get the SE you dont need to buy CVD's. I would reccomend slightly stiffer springs though, the stock ones were light.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:08 AM
Access

Yeah out of the box the Quake will run trouble-free while the Mini LST will break the gears after 5-10 runs. Losi sends out replacement gears which should last significantly longer, if not the life of the truck. MTs are not meant to be 'babied', most drivers are expecting a truck that will stand up to pleanty of abuse. Replacing the gears is quite a lot of work though and might be beyond someone who was just expecting RTR trouble-free running (takes more than an hour).

Ultimately if you are into modding the Mini LST can be made into a better truck. Ball diffs really help when it comes to rock climbing and rough terrain, since they can be set up to give the truck true "all-wheel drive" at the cost of turning radius. And the truck will take a lot of abuse. The ball cups tend to pop off when overstressed, but this seems to act as a protective mechanism that saves the rest of the truck from breaking. Put through the same level of abuse, I've broken plastic parts on the mini-Q while the mini LST just lost an arm, easily replaced.