Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

deans vs tamiya connectors ??????????

i hear people rave on about deans connectors and others say they are happy using the standard tamiya style , can some body tell me if there is any advantage over using either over the other one

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: deans vs tamiya connectors ??????????

tymia plugs are heavy resistence meaning alot of heat on your batteries, lowers runtime and performance. Deans plugs are low resistence meaning longer run times and cooler batteries and better performance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also if your running anything remotly fast tamiya plugs tend to fuse together and have to be cut off
    RS4 3,Hellfire SS,Super Nitro Rally,M03,TA02,YZ-875, TA05R,RC10T1/2,RC10GT,Mini-Slider,Micro-DT,Evader, Blizzard,E-Firestorm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

TrueBlu - It's not that Tamiya plugs won't work at all - they function fine in stock type setups. (I ran them with GP3300s and a 19T buggy without melting issues). But if you look to upgrade for speed by spending $$ on IB4200s or something, 7 cells, faster motors, etc - you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot if you keep Tamiya plugs, as the resistance is holding you back.

Deans is a cheap upgrade, so go for it. Powerpoles are also supposedly low resistance and easy to install, so look into those too!
    DT02-MS | Stadium Thunder | TT Frog | TRF 801XT | CR-01 | F-150 | CRT.5 | T-Egg | Jrx2

There is no comparison. I've had Tamiya plugs melt together even with stock motors and low mAh batteries. Tamiya plugs are junk end of story.
    \"My Mustang is a hybrid, it burns gas and rubber.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The resistence in the Tamiya plug can be high as the contact surface sometimes don't mesh too well with each other.. (just study the construction of it and then take a look at the Dean's plug..)

For regular stock setup, it works okay, unless you don't set it up right (i.e., you are pulling too much current due to incorrect gearing, etc.)

But for brushless / higher power setup, when the motor is pulling a lot of current, the Tamiya plug tends to overheat and then melt.. I melted mine when I was testing my LRP Sphere / Neo brushless setup..

After that, I just decided to change everything into Deans..
    LB | WW2 | TLT | TB02 | DF03 | TEgg | F103GT | TXT | Hornet | Frog | Scalpel | Leo 2A6 | Aeromax | WW1 | Clod | CR-01

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Deans work and Tamiyas don't (my experience)
    Outrunner Powered Xray XB8TQ - Custom Sand Rail - Team Losi Micro Baja - Custom Crawler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

so then your next question might be Deans vs Powerpoles!!
    56 NIB. TB-01, DF-01, FF-01, M-04L, Dual Hunter and Volvo FH12 as runners.. Building TA-03F

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

powerpoles are ok but you might want to watch that the connection stays inplace i was using powerpoles on the loop for the track and we had an issue one week that the connection wouldn't hold found out the positive had pushed back into the caseing just my experince
    My Garage:Xray FK05, T-Maxx os18tm, nitro rusty stock, Mugen MBX5
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/steveasig.jpg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well its looking like im gonna be busy soldering soon , i need the practice any way , new connectors on batterys , charger and esc's ,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Get DEAN'S. Man i cannot tell you how many tamiya plugs i have melted/fried, THEY SUCK!
    Trucks: Brushless Traxxas E-Revo , Brushless Cen GST, Traxxas Summit (Dewalt 820 pending)
    Quads: DJI PHANTOM w/FPV, Blade MQX, V222, Hubsan X4, Proto X, (Ecks Custom Build..)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: trueblu

well its looking like im gonna be busy soldering soon , i need the practice any way , new connectors on batterys , charger and esc's ,
    I recommend the EC3 connectors by eflite. They are gold bullet style plugs in a plastic housing, easier to solder and pull apart. They cost 2.99, so about .$50-.75 more than Deans Ultras, but I feel they are worth it.

I started with deans because that's all anybody ever recommended, but when I bought the quake I redid my connectors with the EC3s.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i use powerpoles because they rulezorz!!!!!!!!!!!! XDXDXDXDCDXDXDXD
    I ßash, thërëforë i ßrëak

huh?
    Ask me what BLUE can do for you.
    www.airforce.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have used both deans and power poles.

I didn't notice and different in power between the two.

I use deans on all my RC's now because they are easier to use, and you don't need to worry about using the wrong polarity.
    -Tamiya TT-01

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use Powerpoles on all my RC's now because they are easier to use, and you don't need to worry about using the wrong polarity.
    Spelling and grammar mean a LOT more than post count.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, i have never had problems with the tamiya's. I notice it seems like the guys who are expierenced and actually know there stuff are the ones saying more then just "deans rule tamiyas suck". Tamiyas work fine if your running a higher-turn motor set-up, and not doing anything too serious. If your racing, or have a fast set-up, then you want the deans. Its not that there some incredible discovery that makes your car 10X faster, becuase you probably wont even notice a power difference between deans and tamiya's, its that they are a cheep thing, and they do handle faster set-ups better, so why not use them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i guess its all or nothing, cos once you have Deans on one car, all your batteries have to be 'Deaned' unless you mix and match between Tamiya and Deans, ive just tinned my first wire!! at long last!
    56 NIB. TB-01, DF-01, FF-01, M-04L, Dual Hunter and Volvo FH12 as runners.. Building TA-03F

"you probably wont even notice a power difference between deans and tamiya's,"

YES YOU WILL!!! Deans are a major upgrade, cheep and you will notice the difference.
    Racing Cars: FT 18T with Mamba 8000kv system, XXX-S with 24T Birdman Pro Pro motor and Novak GTB, FT RC10T4 with Chamelion and GTB
    Sponsored by: Driven Pro
    Performance Devices
    BoomBoomBatteries

I fried my Tamiya connects and was using a 1500 battery with the manual speed control. I just installed Deans on all my stuff and I can tell you, I notice a difference.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

put it this way all rookies come to the tracks first thing we have them change out is there tymia plugs to deans. this alone usuakly increases speed by 50%!!! and alot of times adds 2 or more times to there runtimes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: zephar123

put it this way all rookies come to the tracks first thing we have them change out is there tymia plugs to deans. this alone usuakly increases speed by 50%!!! and alot of times adds 2 or more times to there runtimes.
    I hope that's sarcasm.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah I hope so to.

Seriously though, from my own experience I can tell you I *did* notice a difference in runtime AND performance.

I have a Traxxas Bandit and Rustler, I used to have Tamiya connectors on both, the Bandit running a 12t motor and a 15t motor in the Rustler. If I ran them on 7-cells, or ran them at higher gearing, the connectors WOULD heat up a lot, OR they would simply heat up anyways and melt together if I ran too long of a time using 1800 or 3000mah batteries. After I switched to Deans, I noticed the same batteries gave me better runtime (went from 8-9 minutes to 10-12 minutes) AND I had better overall punch and top speed (I could just about tell), without the fear of melting connectors if I popped too many wheelies or gunned the trigger hard too much.

So bottom line is yes, if you want better runtimes, and you think you want some speed, OR your connectors heat up every now and then, then go ahead and upgrade to Deans. I mean you can also argue why upgrade to from bushings to ball bearings, too, right? It's simply more efficient. [8D]
    Summit+Neu1518, Emaxx+Fei.7XL+Xerun 80A, Bandit+3.5R, Slash+Medusa 3300
    Love RC tanks? Blow em up @www.worldoftanks.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I still say EC3s

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Easy way to find out just how much difference it make.. measure the resistence across in a Tamiya connection and compare that to a Dean connection..

If only I got some Tamiya plugs lying around... argh!!
    LB | WW2 | TLT | TB02 | DF03 | TEgg | F103GT | TXT | Hornet | Frog | Scalpel | Leo 2A6 | Aeromax | WW1 | Clod | CR-01

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast