Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Off Road Racer / Pro 2â„¢ ThunderTech Scale Desert Truck Prototype

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Off Road Racer / Pro 2â„¢ ThunderTech Scale Desert Truck Prototype

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:15 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Off Road Racer / Pro 2â„¢ ThunderTech Scale Desert Truck Prototype

I could care less for Carbon fiber, but my point was that I felt the high price tag is not so justified, as some customers may overlook it to be. I can understand it's value as a scale appearance truck, but I consider it to be much more shelf queen material than performer, and therefore again not worth such a ridiculous price. Still I acknowledge it is a nice truck to have some "realistic" off-road driving fun with.

I'd think it would be reasonable if it was $250. $385 to me just sort of says "we know it's cool so pay us our obviously ridiculous price, or go away." I think I'm not totally wrong in saying that most people who've studied a little macroeconomics would agree that there aren't more people into this hobby partly due to the ridiculous prices. Sorry, it's hard for me to explain my entire opinion in a few lines on an internet forum.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:23 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a big part of it is because it is such a niche product, don't you think?!

If it is like an E-Maxx or Stampede where they are expecting to sell a whole bunch of them.. then they can price it accordingly.. however, for this one, heck, initially, only 20 people got them.. and afterward, I'd guess the product will still be somewhat limited as well...

Performance or not, the fact that they can not sell enough (to offset the R&D cost, economy of scale, supply / demand), will just drive up the price..
Old 02-27-2007, 09:31 AM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

Nice scale truck. Tough it's probably not gonna be raced except against other scale trucks, since it probably can't perform at the level of other race designed 2wd r/c trucks (AE T4 , Losi XXX-T etc). I'd toss it around for fun around my dirt field if I got one.

But as usual, such a reasonable price tag... especially since some of it's put together with parts from other r/c companies...even if it's under the giuse of "custom."

I'd like to rip the guy who comes up with prices a new one..... It's not even Carbon Fiber to excuse *some* of the price....... I hope that the real "street" price is more reasonable than that blatent rip on the website.
You do have some valid points. You missed the part about this being the prototype. ThunderTech is using parts from other manufacturers to get the bugs worked out. The production kit will all be made in house and not bought from other companies. They are even working on producing their own body for it as well.

As for the racing, you are correct. This is a Pro 2 truck and just like in real life, they only race each other.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:38 AM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

I could care less for Carbon fiber, but my point was that I felt the high price tag is not so justified, as some customers may overlook it to be. I can understand it's value as a scale appearance truck, but I consider it to be much more shelf queen material than performer, and therefore again not worth such a ridiculous price. Still I acknowledge it is a nice truck to have some "realistic" off-road driving fun with.

I'd think it would be reasonable if it was $250. $385 to me just sort of says "we know it's cool so pay us our obviously ridiculous price, or go away." I think I'm not totally wrong in saying that most people who've studied a little macroeconomics would agree that there aren't more people into this hobby partly due to the ridiculous prices. Sorry, it's hard for me to explain my entire opinion in a few lines on an internet forum.
I feel the same way about the Tamiya High-lift as you do with this truck. I think the Hi-Lift is over priced and shelf queen material.

It's just a matter of opinion. I drove it around last night and it is 10 times more capable than the 350 could ever be.

Anyway, I think you opinion is valid and I understand what you are saying.

I can say, though, that I felt the same way until I had it in my hands.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:43 AM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

I think a big part of it is because it is such a niche product, don't you think?!

If it is like an E-Maxx or Stampede where they are expecting to sell a whole bunch of them.. then they can price it accordingly.. however, for this one, heck, initially, only 20 people got them.. and afterward, I'd guess the product will still be somewhat limited as well...

Performance or not, the fact that they can not sell enough (to offset the R&D cost, economy of scale, supply / demand), will just drive up the price..
You're right LB, i have talked to Darren about this and his direction is to the Pro 2 fans that want a scale R/C replica of the real thing. He is not marketing towards the E-maxx, Savage buyers.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:04 AM
TBen-01

Holy effing poop! I love it, i want one, my wife isn't going to hear the end of it....Hey TEX, I know it's a "scale" truck, but what kind of power do you think it would handle? I like this SO much more than the typical T4\XXX-t. This is the kind of truck I've been waiting for!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:09 AM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: TBen-01

Holy effing poop! I love it, i want one, my wife isn't going to hear the end of it....Hey TEX, I know it's a "scale" truck, but what kind of power do you think it would handle? I like this SO much more than the typical T4\XXX-t. This is the kind of truck I've been waiting for!
Well, I am starting with a stock 540 can for now to get some sort of benchmark. I think anything lower than 15T is going to be too much. Not that the chassis can't handle it, but more about getting that power to the ground.

Ya, it's quite a truck and the frame is surprisingly rigid.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:25 AM
TBen-01

The thing is, I want another vehicle to play with (no racing), and my wife has agreed to let me spend some money on my "car stuff", so I'm trying to put together a wish list. I've pretty much decided on a new 3PM radio and some sort of brushless setup, preferably Castle; do you think a 5700 MM on 6 cells would be overkill? Maybe a 4600? I want to get away from antique brushed motors. As far as putting the power to the ground, I'll just have to practice driving more, as long as the truck will handle it mechanically.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:34 AM
[]TEX[]

The thing is, I want another vehicle to play with (no racing), and my wife has agreed to let me spend some money on my "car stuff", so I'm trying to put together a wish list. I've pretty much decided on a new 3PM radio and some sort of brushless setup, preferably Castle; do you think a 5700 MM on 6 cells would be overkill? Maybe a 4600? I want to get away from antique brushed motors. As far as putting the power to the ground, I'll just have to practice driving more, as long as the truck will handle it mechanically.
I ran it with the 5700kv last night and it was OVERKILL to say the least. It can handle the power, but there are some bugs to worked out first. One main issue is that since this is a shaft drive chassis it has a large amount of torque roll. With the 5700kv it will pick up the left front wheel to full flex. So, with that said you could get the Novak Super Sport stock system.

Give me some time to test some motors out. I doubt I will be testing any low turn BL systems since the highest turn BL I have is the 5700kv, so, I will be staying with brushed for now since I have a bunch of those laying around.

Once I have worked out some of the bugs I think the 5700kv would be the limit.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:18 AM
TBen-01

TEX, you have brightened my life...now for that comp. cheque to arrive...LOL!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:25 AM
[]TEX[]

TEX, you have brightened my life...now for that comp. cheque to arrive...LOL!
Glad I could help, stay tuned, I will be updating regularly.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:08 PM
rc monkey

WOW That looks beautiful!![X(] Only 2wd though[&o] (I know its a scale truck but 4wd would be more fun)
Old 02-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Lunchboxer

Maybe I need to pick one of these up and run w/ TEX....

Old 02-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Raguvian

I think it looks kinda ugly.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:45 PM
birel19

I WANT A VID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! pretty please[]

How much will the production kit cost and what is the new body style the company is going to make? I hope it is of a up to date truck I love watching those truck races...crash fests!!!
Old 02-27-2007, 07:48 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: birel19

I WANT A VID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! pretty please[]

How much will the production kit cost and what is the new body style the company is going to make? I hope it is of a up to date truck I love watching those truck races...crash fests!!!
As far as I know Parma will be the supplier and the chassis will be lengthened to accept a newer style body.

The weather is crap right now, but when it dries out I will have video for sure.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:00 PM
[]TEX[]

Refitted the chassis with Tamiya DF03 shocks. The Associated shocks just weren't up to the task.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33070.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	631158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99081.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	631159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34860.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	631160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40908.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	631161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45148.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	631162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11409.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	631163  
Old 02-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Raguvian

Isn't it hard to get the battery in and out?
And it looks like a brick.[:'(]
Old 02-27-2007, 08:10 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: Raguvian

Not really, the straps pop right off and you slide it out. Plus the body is not on it right now. Don't be so close minded.

I understand though, I can be close minded at times too.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:14 PM
birel19

Lets have some more pics with the body on ect
Old 02-27-2007, 08:18 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: birel19

Lets have some more pics with the body on ect
As soon as I paint it
Old 02-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Raguvian

ORIGINAL: []TEX[]

Not really, the straps pop right off and you slide it out. Plus the body is not on it right now. Don't be so close minded.

I understand though, I can be close minded at times too.
I think it looks even worse with the body on...
Plus if it's a scale truck why does it need so much protection?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Lunchboxer

The Tamiya shocks look awesome!!!

Old 02-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Lunchboxer

I guess I don't follow your question...

Scale just means it looks like a real one.. i.e., the dimension, etc. are scale to the real vehicle.. does not mean that it is low performance.. slow.. etc.

Plus if it's a scale truck why does it need so much protection?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Lunchboxer

Hmm.. maybe make the rear links longer... thicker oil? Some more pre-load?

I'd like to see that for sure!!

ORIGINAL: []TEX[]
...since this is a shaft drive chassis it has a large amount of torque roll.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.